List of characters that inhabit Ichiban Ushiro No Daimaou
. As usual, spoilers might be below.
Left on the steps of a church as an orphan, Akuto thought he was going to be the good guy. He traveled to the Constantin Magical Academy to study and hone his magical abilities, in hopes that he would one day become a great priest in the service of the church. However, on his first day, the vocational raven proclaimed that he was destined to become the next Maou, or Demon King. As a result, most of the school has turned against him, and even his attempts at trying to Screw Destiny
only serve to drag him further down the path of evil. He's attracted a small harem of followers, ranging from a robotic private detective to a young fanboy, who all have their own reasons for wanting to see whether or not Akuto will become the next Maou.
The Maou's Followers
A descendant of a powerful family of ninjas dedicated to following the (Japanese) traditions of their god, Suhara, and fighting evil. Junko came to the Academy with Akuto after a chance meeting and became friends with him. However, after actually arriving at the school, Junko has had a love-hate relationship with him, trying to square her feelings for him with the possibility that he will become the next Big Bad
of the whole world. The fact that most of their conflicts end with him destroying her clothes doesn't help.
- Action Girl:
- Arranged Marriage: To Akuto, though she is too nervous to tell him.
- Badass Adorable:
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Clothing Damage: Poor Junko...
- Cool Sword:
- Curtains Match the Window: Blue hair and eyes.
- Establishing Character Moment: In her first scene, she physically attacks Akuto because she saw him with her grandmother and automatically assumed that he was trying to mug her.
- Fan Nickname: Blue
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Depending on her mood.
- Hair Decorations: Two pink barrettes on the left side of her face.
- Knight Templar: Moreso in the anime than the manga.
- Lady of War
- Laser-Guided Karma: In episode 3, she assembles a lynch mob to kill Akuto, but at the climax of the episode, Keena makes a comment that causes said lynch mob to turn on Junko as well. To really drive the point home, when Junko insists that it's a misunderstanding and that they should listen to what she has to say, Akuto tells her that he's been saying the exact same thing to her this whole time.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Poor Communication Kills: Her Fatal Flaw; she constantly misinterprets Akuto's attempts to do good as evil and tries to kill him based on such conclusions, rarely, if ever, giving Akuto a chance to clear things up in the process.
- The Ojou:
- Sarashi/Fundoshi: She wears both of them underneath her clothes.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The special episodes focus mainly on Junko.
- Tsundere: Mostly type A.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
It's unknown what, if any, magic he wields. However, Hiroshi seems to have a good knack for knowing the various relationships and events happening between the people at the Academy. After Akuto saved him from some bullies, Hiroshi ended up becoming fanatically devoted to him as a friend, possibly even more.Also, the same raven that proclaimed Akuto was destined to be the next Maou? He later judged Hiroshi to be the next Hero.
A long time ago, Kena was a fellow orphan in the same church that Akuto was raised in. Akuto apparently helped her out when she was sad. Several years later, they ran into each other at Constantin Magical Academy just as Akuto was trying to apologize to Junko for the day's previous events. Currently, Kena is known for three things: turning invisible, flying, and eating rice in all its forms. She constantly hovers around Akuto, hoping that he'll become the Maou not because she is particularly evil, but because she wants him to succeed as a good friend.
She is rumored to hold the "Law of Identity," which means that if she "forms a contract" with another, that person could gain the power of a God.
She's a master of magic and medicine, head of the Academy's Discipline Committee, has her own fan club, and is generally considered one of the school's idols. But this popularity hides a much darker side that was born in part because of her family and in part because of her love for her mostly-dead brother whose head she now keeps in a jar. Fujiko is constantly looking to find a way to control the Maou for her own purposes, though he may be more difficult to handle than she realized.
After Akuto saves her from a dragon, she decides to stop trying to control him and start trying to worship him instead.
A robot girl known as a "Liladan" (probably written as "L'Isle-Adam", after August Villiers de L'Isle-Adam
, a 19th century french writer thet popularized the term "android") sent to spy on Akuto by the leadership of the Church of Mahct so they could tell whether or not he will really become the Maou. She carries around a multi-purpose gun
and generally maintains a cool demeanor punctuated with bursts of delightful sexual frankness.
A large, powerful dragon who served the previous Maou but was sealed underneath the school. After Fujiko accidentally releases him, Akuto defeats him in battle and gains the dragon as an ally.
President of the Student Council, she wears a very expressive witch's hat and talks with a slight lisp. Along with monitoring the school behind the scenes, one of her duties appears to have been safeguarding ancient ruins that contain items of interest to the Maou, but whether she's trying to protect Akuto from the school or the school from Akuto is up for debate.
Secretary who only speaks with a "guga" Verbal Tic
. A Liradan (L'Isle-Adam) like Korone, but of a different model. She also has her own mech.
- Robot Girl
- Verbal Tic: "Guga". Also a form of Pokémon Speak. Korone is able to translate it. [spoiler:As of the 2nd volume of the light novel, the only time she has appeared she seems to talk normally.]
Cabinet Intelligence Magick Office, "CIMO8"
The rumored head of CIMO8 with a magical sword power that can cut through anything, including dimensions
. He has been working behind the scenes to try and neutralize the Maou before he became too powerful.
According to the anime, he is actually a time-traveler who lost his lover to the original Maou, and somehow traveled to the present to stop the current Maou, Akuto, from gaining the same powers. However, when he discovers the reincarnation of his lost love in the body of Kena Soga, he instead decided to inherit the power of a God with Kena's "Law of Identity".
Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki (JP), Leraldo Anzuldua (EN)
- Big Bad
- Good Is Not Nice
- Hero Antagonist: In the novels, this aspect of him is constantly emphasized. Despite some of the unsavory things he does for humanity, he is fundamentally a very good person at heart. Even Akuto refers to him as the incarnation of goodness, and Teruya Keizo calls him a fundamentally good person even after Bouichirou slices him in half.
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- Love Makes You Evil: Subverted, purely by virtue of the fact that Bouichirou isn't really evil. However, his main motivation in his quest is his love for one of the previous Laws of Identity.
- Light Is Good: See Hero Antagonist
- Older Than They Look: Yamato apparently fought the previous Maou along with the old man currently serving as Headmaster of the Academy
- Rage Against the Heavens
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: After seeing his motive for doing the things he does, you can hardly blame him...not that it justifies his actions any.
A mysterious green-haired girl who freelances as a spy for CIMO8. She has a rivalry with Junko that stretches back between their families, both of which have been jockey
ing for position under the God Suhara. Eiko is willing to do anything to gain more power, from seducing the potential Maou to backstabbing members of her own clan.
An odd agent from CIMO8 who seems obsessed with the "artistic" side of everything. Uses sound-based magic to nullify the mana-based powers of other mages, and seeks to rekindle the great war against the Maou just because he can.
Voiced by: Haruo Satou (JP)
Another agent of CIMO8 who seems rather well-adjusted compared to the others, as he is shown in a professional suit and tie during his debut. He has the ability to control human-looking puppets remotely with his magic, and thus no one knows his true face. It is revealed in Volume 6 that "he" is actually a girl who appears to be around ten years old.
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Higuchi (JP)
Fujiko's Older Brother
A magical Knight Templar
who lost his life during one expedition after being tricked by Bouichirou. It was a plan
to lead the potential Maou into a trap that would kill him. He currently exists as a Brain in a Jar
after his sister magically reanimated his head.
- Adventurer Archaeologist:
- Back from the Dead: Well, his head anyway. Etou does this to try and discover what secret he found out during his last treasure hunt. Unfortunately...
- Darkis Not Evil: Was a dark mage trying to prove that they could be good.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He does this to himself after he discovers a treasure whose secret is too horrible to reveal. It causes his death at the hands of his employer
- Oracular Head: His head can still communicate, although it doesn't remember much...
Akuto's teacher who seems to be a bit too interested in studying him, dead or alive.
A popular TV idol under the stage name Yuri Hoshino, Yuuko also happens to be a Suharaist ninja and the younger sister of Junko. On top of that, she happens to have a little demon blood in her after an accident with a monster during her childhood, and can sense when there are monsters nearby. However, Akuto's presence has caused the demon blood within Yuuko to make her a bit crazier than normal...
- Cursed with Awesome: When she was younger, she was bitten by a monster. As a result, she can detect when they're nearby. However, it's unslightly and will eventually kill her, unless it can be removed...
- Cute and Psycho: She seems a bit too happy to jump into battle and kill monsters.
- Idol Singer
- Knight Templar
- Too Dumb to Live: She accepts a suicide mission from Eiko Teruya as part of the latter's Uriah Gambit, thinking that she wouldn't be in much danger because she would be able to take down hundreds of demon beasts on her own, and all in all treating the whole thing like a chance to get extra publicity. If Brave hadn't shown up to take out most of the demon beasts, she wouldn't have lasted a minute.
The God, Suhara