Bruce Banner/The Hulk
Bruce "Krenzler" Banner/The Hulk
Played By: Eric BanaBruce Banner was an orphaned child and became an intellectually gifted man that worked on gamma radiation tests. Once he tested it himself, he unlocked a hidden gene from his father.
"Even now I can feel it. Buried somewhere deep inside. Watching me, waiting. But you know what scares me the most? When I can't fight it anymore, when it takes over, when I totally lose control. I like it."
- Alliterative Name: Bruce Banner.
- Anti-Hero: Averted. His seemingly senseless rampages in the labs and military bases throughout the film are all attempts to destroy the gamma research before they fall into the wrong hands. He overpowers soldiers but never attempts to kill them.
- Terse Talker: His Hulk form only spoke twice.Hulk: "Puny human!"Hulk: "TAKE IT ALL!"
Elizabeth "Betty" Ross
Played By: Jennifer Connelly
Played By: Nick Nolte
- "We're gonna have to watch that temper of yours."
- Abusive Parent: David Banner killed his wife in front of his son before he planned to kill Bruce, resulting in him getting sent to jail.
- Adaptation Personality Change: David Banner started out as a hard-working, but loving father, so unlike in the comics. Though David does eventually become antagonistic, mostly for different reasons.
- Archnemesis Dad: To Bruce. After performing dangerous tests on himself, some of it was passed on genetically when Bruce was conceived. He attempted to murder Bruce but failed, striking down his wife in the process. Thirty years later, following his release from prison, he tracks down Bruce and attempts to rebuild their relationship while secretly plotting to drain Bruce's powers and alter-ego in order to rebuild his own decaying cellular structure and gain his revenge on the military. A very, very bad dude, though not without his sympathetic moments.
- Big Bad: Of the film. He is responsible for destroying Bruce's life by experimenting on himself and his son out of an obsession with advancing humanity beyond its limits, creating the Hulk. He intends to drain Bruce's powers to regenerate himself and get his revenge on the military.
- Composite Character: Is based on Brian Banner (Bruce’s father from the comics), but later gains the powers of Absorbing Man, before transforming into a being of pure electricity similar to Zzzax.
- Disappeared Dad: Bruce Banner did not see David again until his adulthood.
- Hollywood Atheist: David believed religion "infected humanity's soul".
Played By: Sam Elliott
Major Glenn Talbot
Played By: Josh Lucas
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Talbot is more aggressive compared to his comic book appearances.
Samuel Sterns/The Leader