open/close all folders
Jungle of Nool
Horton the Elephant
- Voiced by: Kent Rogers (1st, Horton Hatches the Egg cartoon), Hans Conried (1970 TV Special), Jim Carrey (2008 animated film)
- All-Loving Hero: All there with his frequent mantra: "A person's a person. No matter how small".
- Cloudcuckoolander: Invoked when he goes around talking to a flower.
- Forgiveness: Quickly forgives Sour Kangaroo and offers her a cookie.
- Friend to All Children: He teaches some of the youngsters in the forest.
- Gentle Giant: A huge elephant with an even bigger heart (metaphorically, of course).
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Morton and Ned.
- Nice Guy: His heart is as huge as him.
- Protagonist Title: "Horton Hears A Who".
- Shaking the Rump: Does this at one point in the 2008 movie.
- Undying Loyalty: "And an elephant's faithful 100 percent."
- Voiced by: Carol Burnett
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: A purple kangaroo.
- Big Bad: An unintentional example. She sees Horton's belief that a tiny civilization being real is absurd and tries to destroy the speck at various points. But once she realizes that Horton was right, she is deeply ashamed of what she almost did.
- Curtains Match The Windows: She has purple fur and purple eyes.
- Fantasy Forbidding Mother: Doesn't want Rudy to join in the "spec nonsense".
- In-Series Nickname: "Sour Kanagroo".
- Meaningful Name: More like "meaningful nickname" thanks to her sour disposition on things.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She's truly ashamed of herself when she realizes that she almost destroyed an entire civilization.
- Obliviously Evil: She really doesn't know that the spec is an entire civilization and just wants to keep order in Nool. She later comes to regret her actions.
Morton the Mouse
- Voiced by: Seth Rogen
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: He's a blue mouse.
- Blue Is Heroic: Morton is a blue mouse and is the only one of Nool to stand up for Horton.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Has blue fur and blue eyes.
- Deadpan Snarker: Comes with being friends with a guy like Horton.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Horton; Mort openly defends him from accusations of being a crazy and/or bad guy.
- Nice Guy: Despite being just as skeptical about the tiny world Horton talks about, Morton is the only one to defend his friend from Sour Kangaroo's accusations of the elephant being crazy.
- Super Speed: He's one fast mouse.
- Voiced by: Chuck Jones (1970 TV Special); Josh Flitter (2008 animated film)
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Like his mother, Rudy is a purple kangaroo.
- Momma's Boy: Invoked by his bossy mom who always keeps Rudy in her protective pouch. Until the end.
- Morality Pet: Zig-Zagged. Rudy does make Jane look more understandable, but his presence doesn't stop her from going after Horton.
- Nice Guy: Has a sweeter disposition unlike his mother.
- Strong Family Resemblance: A small, male version of Jane.
- Voiced by: Will Arnett
- Adaptation Species Change: He was an eagle in the book, but 2008 film changed him to a vulture.
- Alliterative Name: Vlad Vladikoff.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Is genuinely touched by Horton's defense of the Who's.
- Dark Is Evil: A villainous vulture in the film, although he was an eagle in the book.
- Evil Is Hammy: In the film, he's prone to overdramatic and cliche dialogue to make himself look more sinister.
- Heel–Face Turn: Seems to go through this on seeing Horton's forgiveness.
- Husky Russkie: Speaks with a heavy Russian accent.
- Psycho for Hire: He is hired by Jane Kangaroo to get rid of the clover, and seems to enjoy it.
- Toothy Bird: Has a set of sharp teeth.
- Would Hurt a Child: Possibly, given how he would do Kangaroo's work if she gives him Rudy.
Mayor Nedd McDodd
- Voiced by: Steve Carrell (2008 animated film)
- Blue Is Heroic: Wears a blue fur-suit without sleeves and is the deuteragonist.
- Cloudcuckoolander: To the same extent as Horton. He's described as odd even in his character introduction.
- Deuteragonist: To Horton's protagonist.
- Happily Married: With Sally O' Malley.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Married to redheaded, Sally.
- Nice Guy: "Devoted, fair, and a little bit odd".
Sally O' Malley
- Voiced by: Amy Poehler
- Deadpan Snarker: A pointed example.
- Fiery Redhead: Averted. Sally is probably the most sane Who in Whoville.
- Happily Married: With Ned.
- Maiden Name Debate: It appears that she didn't take Ned's last name.
- Nice Girl: Sally is an overall sweet and devoted person.
- Only Sane Woman: Especially when it looks like her husband is going off the deep end.
Dr. Mary Lou LaRue
- Voiced by: Isla Fisher
- Absent-Minded Professor: Can be a little scatterbrained.
- Curtains Match The Windows: She has light purple hair and purple eyes.
- Ditzy Genius: The smartest person of the staff at Who University, who's also somewhat scatterbrained.
- Hot Scientist: More like cute scientist.
- Speech Impediment: Dr. LaRue has a lisp.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dr. LaRue has light purple hair.
- Voiced by: Jesse McCartney
- Ascended Extra: In the book, he was brought in as a last resort to save Whoville. In the movie, he's a much more prominent character and in the Seussical, he's the protagonist.
- Big Little Brother: He is the next mayor because he is the oldest, but he is smaller than all of his sisters.
- Brainy Brunette: Of the making music variety.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His color schemes are black and white and he's the tritagonist.
- Gadgeteer Genius: JoJo filled the abandon observatory with castaway items and set up an elaborate system to produce music.
- Hidden Depths:
- "But he's anything but silent. He hears music in the tapping of an old keyboard, feels the beat in the rhythmic bounce of a basketball and finds harmony in wind whistling over a comb."
- The ending shows that JoJo has a great singing voice.
- Outnumbered Sibling: He has 96 sisters and is the only boy.
- The Quiet One: He only has four lines in the entire movie.
- Tritagonist: To Horton's protagonist and his father's Deuteragonist.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: "JoJo is so worried that he'll say something to disappoint his father that he finds it best not to speak- ever."