Characters: Horton Hears a Who!
open/close all folders
Jungle of Nool
Horton the Elephant
- Voiced by: Kent Rogers (1st, Horton Hatches the Egg cartoon), Hans Conried (1970 TV Special), Jim Carrey (2008 animated film)
- All-Loving Hero: All there with his frequent mantra: "A person's a person. No matter how small".
- Cloudcuckoolander: Invoked when he goes around talking to a flower.
- Forgiveness: Quickly forgives Sour Kangaroo and offers her a cookie.
- Friend to All Children: He teaches some of the youngsters in the forest.
- Gentle Giant: A huge elephant with an even bigger heart.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ned.
- Protagonist Title: "Horton Hears A Who".
- Undying Loyalty: "And an elephant's faithful 100 percent."
- Voiced by: Carol Burnett
- Fantasy Forbidding Mother: Doesn't want Rudy to join in the "spec nonsense".
- In-Series Nickname: "Sour Kanagroo".
- Meaningful Name: More like "meaningful nickname" thanks to her sour disposition on things.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She's truly ashamed of herself when she realizes that she almost destroyed an entire civilization.
- Obliviously Evil: She really doesn't know that the spec is an entire civilization and just wants to keep order in Nool. She later comes to regret her actions.
Morton the Mouse
- Voiced by: Seth Rogen
- Blue Is Heroic: Morton is a blue mouse and is the only one of Nool to stand up for Horton.
- Brown Eyes: To show he's more sensible than Horton.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Has blue fur and blue eyes.
- Deadpan Snarker: Comes with being friends with a guy like Horton.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Horton.
- Super Speed: He's one fast mouse.
- Voiced by: Chuck Jones (1970 TV Special); Josh Flitter (2008 animated film)
- Voiced by: Will Arnett
- Alliterative Name/Repetitive Name: Vlad Vladikoff.
- Dark Is Evil: A villainous vulture. Although he was an eagle in the book.
- Husky Russkie: Speaks with a heavy Russian accent.
- Psycho for Hire: He is hired by Jane Kangaroo to get rid of the clover,and seems to enjoy it.
- Toothy Bird: Has a set of sharp teeth.
- Would Hurt a Child: Possibly, given how he would do Kangaroo's work if she gives him Rudy.
Mayor Nedd McDodd
- Voiced by: Steve Carrell (2008 animated film)
Sally O' Malley
- Voiced by: Amy Poehler
Dr. Mary Lou LaRue
- Voiced by: Isla Fisher
- Voiced by: Jesse McCartney
- Ascended Extra: In the book, he was brought in as a last resort to save Whoville. In the movie, he's a much more prominent character and in the Seussical, he's the protagonist.
- Big Little Brother: He is the next mayor because he is the oldest, but he is smaller than all of his sisters.
- Brainy Brunette: Of the making music variety.
- Breakout Character: Even with his limited amount of screentime, JoJo quickly gained popularity with the fans.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His color schemes are black and white and he's the tritagonist.
- Gadgeteer Genius: JoJo filled the abandon observatory with castaway items and set up an elaborate system to produce music.
- Hidden Depths: "But he's anything but silent. He hears music in the tapping of an old keyboard, feels the beat in the rhythmic bounce of a basketball and finds harmony in wind whistling over a comb."
- Outnumbered Sibling: He has 96 sisters and is the only boy.
- The Quiet One: See "Well Done, Son!" Guy.
- Tritagonist: To Horton's protagonist and his father's Deuteragonist.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: "JoJo is so worried that he'll say something to disappoint his father that he finds it best not to speak- ever."