Characters: High School D×D: Occult Research Club
aka: High School Dx D-Occult Research Club
Characters belonging to the Occult Research Club of High School DXD
Other Character Pages:
The Occult Research Club
An extracurricular club that most of the major characters in the series are a part of. Despite the club's name, very little actual research
is actually done; after all, the members are not (or in some cases, no longer
) human. The club is really just a front for Rias, her "family," and later, other supernatural beings, and it provides cover for their operations; namely dealing with paranormal activity and destroying hostile supernatural beings. The members often use the club as an excuse to get out of any classes they might be in at the moment when an emergency pops up, and the old schoolhouse in which they meet is secluded enough to prevent scrutiny from normal human students.
open/close all folders
Tropes Relating to the Club in General
- A Day in the Limelight: A member of the club is usually the focal point depending on the volume.
- Volume 1: Issei and Asia's introductions into the devil world.
- Volume 2: Rias's love life.
- Volume 3: Kiba's tragic past with the holy sword experiment.
- Volume 4: Gasper's introduction.
- Volume 5: Koneko training to control her senjutsu powers.
- Volume 6: Asia's background with Diodora Astaroth
- Volume 7: Akeno's strained relation with her father.
- Volume 10: Issei dealing with Raynare's "curse".
- Volume 12: Kiba protecting the Club after Issei's departure.
- Volume 14: Ravel dealing with the Phenex-tear black market.
- Volume 16: Gasper's life in the Romanian vampire society.
- Volume 17: Rossweisse's study of 666.
- Volume 18: Irina's childhood with Issei.
- Volume 19: Xenovia's work with the student council.
- All Women Are Lustful
- Almighty Janitor: Everyone in the Club, except Rias and Azazel, are low-ranked devils. Rias is currently one of the weaker members of the Club. You do the math. Even after Issei, Akeno and Kiba's promotion, it's implied they are still not promoted to a level which would indicate their strength. Justified by Sirzechs, since he believes they're far from ready to handle the responsibilities and pressures of a high-ranked devil.
- Badass Crew: Hell yeah!
- Badass Family: What Rias regards her club as, with her as the "mother" that holds it together.
- Balanced Harem: What makes this group different from the other tropes is that Issei is a unashamed pervert and a Harem Seeker. However, he is also a Bad Ass Chivalrous Pervert who literally goes through hell for the girls. The girls decide fairly early on that they are ALL going to get with him, and instead of fighting over him, they fight over who he pays the most attention to.
- Battle Harem: Even if you include Kiba and Gasper. It gets lampshaded by the author himself at one point.
- Betty and Veronica: Within the Occult Club, we have Asia as the Betty and Rias, Xenovia, and Akeno as the Veronicas for Issei's Archie. Add:
- Break the Cutie: Almost all the members of Issei's harem after his "death", showing how psychologically dependent they are of him due to his help in overcoming their respective Dark and Troubled Past. Fortunately subverted after he comes back to life with some draconic backup.
- Dysfunction Junction: Almost every single member of the club has or had issues that needed resolving.
- Five-Man Band: Their original setup.
- Heroic BSOD: Everyone's reaction after Issei's (temporary) death. Rias locked herself up in her room, embracing Issei's Evil Pieces, Akeno lay nigh-lifeless on the sofa, Asia and Ravel are openly crying their eyes out, Koneko tried to keep her composure only to also break down crying, and Kiba had to hold back his tears while having to attend to Ruval and Riser, who offer their sympathies to the team, and later Baraqiel, who came to comfort Akeno. Only Irina, Xenovia and Rossweisse were never immediately in the know, and Gasper was deliberately left in the dark because it'd be too traumatic for him (and when he did, he didn't take it well, but not in the way Georg expected).
- Moment Killer: Everyone in Issei's harem is this to the others. It can count as a meta-example as well as this is Ishibumi's way of cooperating with the Can't Have Sex, Ever clause in writing this story.
- Pyrrhic Victory: They did win the Rating Game against the Student Council, but lost a lot of members to pull it off, and their ratings were lowered as a result.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: They have a devil princess, a modified human, a miko and human/fallen angel hybrid, three very ditzy believers of God, a nekomata, a crossdressing vampire, a mad scientist fallen angel, a money-loving valkyrie, a demon phoenix, and finally a very perverted high school boy turned demon.
- Single-Target Sexuality: The girls toward Issei for one reason or another. Rias sees all men as the same, Akeno hates men, Asia was too innocent to find interest in the opposite sex, Irina and Xenovia were both raised in church, Koneko dislikes perverted things. However, they seem to all enjoy Issei and all love him to the point they can't live without him.
- Switching P.O.V.: The story is usually told through Issei's perspective, though at certain points we see the story through other characters' eyes, namely, Rias, Kiba (secondary narration if there's something going on with Issei), Azazel (when there's a discussion with the leaders involved), Asia for a brief period, and Irina in one of the short stories.
- The Team: Their current setup.
- Took a Level in Badass: Throughout the series, as time goes on everyone in the Occult Research Club starts actively grinding levels in badass.
- True Companions: Despite all the girls wanted to be with Issei, they still trust and help each other no matter what happen.
- Try Not to Die: When Xenovia and Irina were able to get out of the dimension caused by Georg, they tell Issei to survive. Guess what happens to him.
- Undying Loyalty: To each other. Even from beyond the grave.
- Unskilled, but Strong: During the Rating Games the Club showed a lack of experience, hence they often don't do so well. This is best exemplified in their match against Souna's group, which almost spelled defeat for them.
I'm going to become a Harem king! Role:
Pawn (×8) Species:
Human / Reincarnated Devil / Humanoid Dragon Voiced by: Yuuki Kaji
(Japanese) and Scott Freeman (English)
The primary protagonist, a pervert who gets killed by his first girlfriend, but not before wishing to be brought back to life — a wish so powerful Rias gets to answer his call and resurrect him as a devil. He dreams of being a harem king, unknowingly already in the middle of being one.
- Adorkable: A trait that keeps his harem growing.
- Abhorrent Admirer: In one of the short stories of Volume 8, it's revealed that he has a female gorilla spirit who has a crush on him. Needless to say, he's not amused.
- Above the Influence: When a despairing Akeno came to him naked and sad, wanting to have sex with him due to her depressing memories of her past and her father Issei refuses despite wanting to have sex with her, as he wouldn't do it with someone who was in such a depressing state.
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his dragon partner who's sealed in his left arm to be exact.
- Achilles' Heel: Notable in that he's got twice the number of weaknesses because he's both a dragon and a devil.
- Adult Fear: When he finds out that Koneko, Gasper and Ravel were kidnapped by magicians after they tried protecting an innocent human.
- Almighty Janitor: In the first season of the anime anyway. He's considered fairly weak compared to the other characters, as he's only a pawn in chess terminology. That said, he can also acquire the powers of the other chess pieces, and due to his Sacred Gear, once he starts training and mastering its use, he becomes quite deadly.
- Ascended Fanboy: He's a fan of Super Sentai shows alongside Irina, and he finally stars in the "Oppai Dragon" show. He's conflicted, however, between elation and embarrassment over the title, though kids do love it.
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: He's got both Great Red and Ophis' existence within him.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Took a look at Sirzechs' way of bending his Power of Destruction to hit a specific target, and practiced till he was able to pull it off.
- Back from the Dead: Twice!
- Badass: Just to count the ways...
- Action Hero: With a little push from Azazel, he strives for peacenote by beating the crap out of anyone who interferes with it.
- Badass and Child Duo: When he and Kunou were the only ones who got together when everyone got separated at Kyoto.
- Badass Boast:
"If you want to burn me, bring me a phoenix or a dragon!" (While fighting a fire mage)
- Badass Creed: Gains this after getting Crimson Queen mode instead of Juggernaut Drive, and is fighting off the original version's creed while chanting it.
"I, who is about to awaken, am the Red Dragon Emperor who has discarded the principles of ambition. I walk the road of righteousness by having infinite hopes and dreams. I shall become the King of Crimson Dragon. And I promise you all! I shall show you the future that shines in true crimson light!"
- Badass Finger Snap: When unleashing Dress Break.
- Badass Pacifist: Would prefer talking rather than beating up his enemies. And that includes the past users of Boosted Gear.
- Badass Unintentional: He just wants a harem and not to fight at all. Doesn't stop him from being one.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's a pretty nice fellow most of the time, but if you push him over the edge... Well, goodnight.
- Brought Down to Badass: Thanks to Ddraig sleeping, he can't access his Balance Breaker state and is back to where he was before. Does this stop him from kicking ass? Hell no.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's usually thinking about perverted things, but when push comes to shove...
- Dare to Be Badass: Delivers this to Gasper when he held the Distress Ball in Volume 4.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Gets to land the final blow against Loki. Another occasion is Played for Laughs in Volume 14 where, after doing the Straight Man act for half the time, he finally smacks Fafnir after the latter keeps on sniffing Asia's treasured panties. The trope fits because Fafnir's a dragon king on par with Tannin!
- Heartbroken Badass: His thoughts reveal that he's still haunted by Yuma/Reynalle's betrayal and his decision to allow Rias to kill her.
- Intimidation Demonstration: Does this to Diodora when he punches the ground so hard it causes a crater. This pretty scares him out of fighting Issei.
- One-Man Army: Defeats an entire group of middle-class grim reapers, beings stronger than high-class devils, by himself. And this is with him only using Balance Breaker and at this point, he's a lot weaker because he just fired off two Dragon Blasters, and used Gift on Rias and Akeno. This surprises Siegfried as to how strong Issei really is.
- Submissive Badass: He's even more powerful than any member of his group, but he's still going to follow Rias' orders no questions asked.
- Took a Level in Badass: Actively grinds millions! Showcased with four of his evil pieces becoming Mutated Pieces
- Underestimating Badassery: Seems like a lot of people think that he's not as badass as he's supposed to be. He proves them wrong all the time.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: Past users of Boosted Gear wanted him to use Juggernaut Drive again. He only gets saved thanks to the power of the children and Irina cheering for him, Sairaorg's encouragement, and one of the past users of Albion, whose consciousness resided in a fragment he absorbed from Vali.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Used Samael's poison from his body when he fought Shalba, infused it with a bullet of Gogmagog he found at the Dimension Gap alongside Ophis and Great Red, and used it against Cao Cao.
- Berserk Button
- Big Brother Mentor: Mainly to Gasper as he teaches the kid on how to take a level in badass. Also to Milicas as well.
- Big Damn Heroes: Shows up Back from the Dead with Great Red and Ophis accompanying him.
- Bishōnen: After extensive amounts of Art Evolution, he's become one. Coincides with his Character Development as well.
- Blessed with Suck: A minor example. His power worth eight pawns is a fantastic blessing in most circumstances, but in Ratings Games, where being measured in pawns actually matters, it puts Rias' side at a serious manpower disadvantage.
- Boom, Headshot: Achieves this in his second fight against Cao Cao, who lost his eye after that.
- Break the Cutie: His entire Yuma/Reynalle experience — it took several volumes for him to recover fully.
- Breath Weapon: He learns how to breathe fire after training with Taninmin
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Doesn't even remember the shadow-user Elite Mook that he fought at the warehouse when they meet again at Kyoto.
- Call Back: How he defeats Cao Cao is the same way as to how he defeats Riser: not by pure power, but by being Crazy-Prepared and some Indy Ploy mixed in.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Averted. He'll still make lecherous passes even though he finally is able to confess to Rias. Case in point: use Gift on the latter's breasts.
- The Champion: For Rias, he'll do anything.
- Character Development: Compare Issei from Volume 1 to the current Issei; he's grown a lot in a few months. Best shown when he wholeheartedly entrusts Rias to Kiba's care during their trip to Romania. If this was the old Issei, he'd be jealous of Kiba.
- Another sign is that at the beginning, Issei thought the purpose of a Peerage is to have his own harem. But he learn later on is that the Peerage is meant for support and battle, and start taking his future and Peerage seriously as he want a team that doesn't shame Rias or her family. Some people even points out that Issei perverted thinking has toned down a bit as he matured and knows what is important during battles.
- Chest Blaster: What Longinus Smasher's true form looks like.
- Chick Magnet: He's got (in order of who liked him first) Asia, Rias, Akeno, Koneko, Xenovia, Irina, Ravel, Rossweisse and Ophis. That's not counting the many admirers he has, much less the guys who want him. According to Ddraig, dragons are Chick Magnets.
- Chivalrous Pervert: As much as he wants to make any moves, he just can't touch Rias because she's too good for someone as lowly as him, and Asia because she's too pure to corrupt easily. Oh, and God help you if you hurt his harem in any way.
- Clothing Damage: We here at TV Tropes have currently deified him for this trope.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Initially he is even more clueless than Natsuru Senou. Justified, due to the psychological damage Yuma has caused him which took several volumes for him to fully recover from.
- Combat Pragmatist: He'll find a way to beat you no matter what it takes. Dress Break plus a Dragon Blast for girls busy covering themselves, and being Crazy-Prepared with Indy Ploy tactics for boys. If you're weaker than him however, well...
- Combination Attack: Due to his Gift powers, he's able to amplify his ally's attacks and launch a more powerful version. To wit, he pulled off a Field of Blades with Kiba, amplified Power of Destruction with Rias, amplified Akeno's Holy Lightning and his personal favorite with Gasper: Dress Break during a time freeze.
- Cool Sword: Gains the Holy Sword Ascalon after Michael gives it to him as a gift.
- Cool Ship: The Skithblathnir (later named Ryuuteimaru). It's currently in its toy form, but according to MacGregor, it can transform into a giant airship. Or a flying harem palace. This will also depend on Issei's aura.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Most of his powers are pretty much this.
- Crazy-Prepared: His entire fight with Riser at the engagement party and his fourth battle against Cao Cao. Hell, any of his fights that involve this trope tend to be a lot more interesting and awesome than others.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In the beginning, he's the receiver of this. Then he started training and now, he's delivering all the curb stomps to weaker devils. Just ask Diodora or Shalba.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Longinus Smasher. It's powerful enough to put Power of Destruction to shame. As in capable of destroying the entire Underworld at full power. It also requires Issei to be under Juggernaut Drive, which can prove fatal unless fully mastered. Merging with Great Red allows him to use it without side effects, though Word of God claims this is just a one-off ability. Ddraig later notes that it is an ability he is not supposed to have, hinting it was sealed away by God.
- Latter, he learns how to use his Wyverns to build up power externally then transfer it to him so that he can use Longinus Smasher, but it's raw destructive power and huge stamina consumption still limits its use.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He treats his Freudian Excuse like it was one of these. It's actually hilarious.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: After Rias appears to him all of a sudden in Volume 2 and then goes back to her home. Thankfully, the anime omitted that little detail.
- Deadly Upgrade: Juggernaut Drive. Makes him a lot stronger at the cost of his sanity and reducing his devil lifespan by 99%.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments, normally when talking to Matsuda and Motohama. One particular example occurs when he tells them he's going to ditch them to go to Rias' home (in the Underworld).
Matsuda and Motohama: "Go to hell, you bastard!"
(Issei hangs up the phone)
Issei: "Well, I am going to Hell."
- He also does it (internally) when Rias can't tell who the Satan Rangers are.
- Death Glare: He usually receives this to the girls. But if it's from him, you might want to run away pretty quick. Even Sairaorg felt a cold chill in his spine when he sees him do this, even in a Ratings Game.
- Declaration of Protection: Threaten any of his friends, especially Rias or Asia, and he'll pretty much pull this trope out. Expect a Curb-Stomp Battle if he really does have to fight, even if he gets beat up a little bit first.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it when Asia "died" the second time. Then he unlocks Juggernaut Drive and eats Shalba.
- Determinator: Best exemplified with his fight against Raynare and went on from there.
- Did You Just Romance Cthulhu?: He gains Ophis' affection from the way she clings at him.
- The Dreaded: A heroic example. After his "little stunt" of coming Back from the Dead, the Anti-Maou faction has started to fear him because he survived Samael's blood curse, something that should have killed him already. Not to mention, he came back with Great Red's flesh and Ophis' powers.
- Drop the Hammer: Briefly wields Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, against Loki.
- Even Perverts Have Standards: Issei might be an open pervert with active wishes for a harem, but that's because he treasures women. In the anime, when Riser kisses/molests his queen just to make him jealous, then makes a comment to Rias implying she'd just make a good notch on his belt, Issei is furious. Issei even refuse having sex with Akeno while she was in a despair state, believing it will just hurt her even more than ever.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It's strongly implied that Kiba and Gasper want to be more than friends with him, and even a harem guy like him is actually disturbed by the implications.
- Evil Is Hammy: Invokes this (at least in a girl's eyes) whenever he uses Dress Break and Bilingual, especially under Gasper's time freeze. Even Koneko lampshades it that only villains ever get to be that hammy.
- Expy: Word of God states that he designed Issei after Kazuma, especially where Boosted Gear is located at.
- Famous Last Words: His final words before he succumbs to the Samael curse: "I love you Rias....." Of course it didn't stick.
- Fanboy: Of Sairaorg, after witnessing him settle a mess.
- Fatal Flaw: Issei knows his perversion can and will get the better of him, but he just can't help it. Another Fatal Flaw that was pointed out by Azazel, is that Issei cares too much for his teammate that will make him rush toward a battle without thinking if they got hurt, which could be a problem if he has his own Peerage.
- Finger-Suck Healing: In the manga, after giving his left arm to Ddraig (turning it into a dragon arm) in order to gain power to beat Riser, he periodically receives this from Rias and Akeno to return it to normal.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: Despite his desire for romance, Yuma's betrayal fostered in him a fear of rejection.
- First Episode Resurrection
- First Kiss: To Rias in volume 2. Subverted in volume 18 when Irina reveals that she kissed him long before the series starts and he forgot all about it.
- First Name Basis: He calls everyone in the group, aside from Kiba and Rias, by their first names, although the latter actually wanted to be called "Rias" instead of "Club President". He finally does call her by her first name at the end of Volume 10.
- Foil: To Vali, for having the greatest Red Dragon-White Dragon library and the fact that their origins and attitudes to their powers are different — Issei was a completely unremarkable boy who's more than willing to talk it out with past hosts of Boosted Gear, while Vali is a descendant of the original Lucifer who's more interested in dominating past users of Divine Dividing. He also has some contradistinctions with Cao Cao — both have companions willing to die for them — except Issei would want to keep them alive, while Cao Cao will do anything, including brainwashing people, for his cause.
- Freudian Excuse: Played for Laughs in a Volume 8 short story where he recalls to the Club an incident as a seven-year-old, when he and other boys listened to an old man teaching them to suck girls' breasts. When he went to see him again, he found him being arrested by cops and later sentenced to ten years behind bars, much to his confusion. Issei recounts that as though it was a Dark and Troubled Past on par with their own traumatic backstories. Koneko is not amused.
Koneko: "...A man who talks about indecent things to a child... A real pervert. The worst story ever."
- Friend to All Children: Apparently, children are attracted to him for some reason.
- God Was My Copilot: Combines with Great Red to Kaiju size.
- Go Out with a Smile: When he died in the finale of Volume 11, this was the image shown to us.
- Groin Attack: He gets hit after blocking a speeding ball aimed for Kiba.
- Half-Human Hybrid: A Human-Devil-Dragon hybrid.
- Harem Seeker: His ultimate goal after being convinced by Rias.
- What is interesting to note is that in volume 1, his thought process on having a harem was similar to a certain douchebag but eventually evolves into a benevolent one, if still massively perverted.
- The Heart: The Occult Club sticks together mostly because of him.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Out of his harem, he loves Rias the most but he Cannot Spit It Out for fear of destroying their relationship, partly due to emotional damage from Yuma's betrayal.
- Heroic RROD: Due to his physical limits, he cannot call out Ddraig's full power for more than ten seconds without sacrificing a body part (at least initially). And when he used Juggernaut Drive, his lifespan was cut down to 100 years, so he'd be the first to die of natural causes amongst Rias' team, though this has been nullified following his death and rebirth during Volumes 11-12.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Past users of Boosted Gear sacrificed their souls just to keep his soul safe in Volume 12.
- Heroic Willpower: Boosted Gear's doubling effect can happen much more frequently than usual when Issei is sufficiently motivated. Early on, being a Determinator was the best thing he had going for him.
- He's Back: And guess who's with him.
- Hidden Depths: He's good at sewing, something that surprises Koneko.
- He's also an excellent sculptor. He managed to make a perfect nude Rias figurine with his eyes closed. This duly impressed his entire class to the point that there was a bidding war over the figure. When he ultimately handed the figure to Rias instead, both she and Akeno were duly impressed. Issei would have happily made one for Akeno also except that both Rias and Asia loudly objected. (Since Akeno basically spelled out her idea of "modeling" right in front of them.)
- Horned Humanoid: After activating Juggernaut Drive the first time.
- Idiot Hero: Initially, with regards to romance; otherwise he has a lot of common sense and is actually a quick learner.
- Informed Flaw: Everyone treats him as the weakest holder of Boosted Gear. Initially justified, though he eventually blows these assumptions apart with his rapid progress. Nowadays only the really strong characters, such as Azazel, Vali and Cao Cao still call him a "newbie", and even then they treat that as a compliment, knowing Issei can and will transcend his flaws.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With lots of characters in the series, most of which place his as the younger one, with latest additions being Ophis and Great Red.
- Ironic Echo: He promised Koneko that he will never use Dress Break on his allies. The he accidentally uses it on Asia and Koneko in Volume 3, because he was targeting Irina at that time, again to Asia in Volume 6, and against Rossweisse in Volume 9 to surpass her in a friendly duel. The one with Xenovia in Volume 8 doesn't count because it was his clone running loose.
- Jack of All Stats: Pawns have the secondary ability of "Promotion" if they are deep in enemy territory, just like in real chess. Which allows him to promote himself to any piece except a King, gaining that piece's abilities.
- The Juggernaut: Juggernaut Drive. Duh.
- Kaiju: When he is resurrected and brings Ophis and Great Red, he combines with the latter and becomes gigantic sized to take out Annihilation Maker monsters. Word of God states that it's a one-time form only.
- A Lady on Each Arm: After coming back from the dead the girls became more affection toward Issei to the point Rias and Akeno grab both his arms while walking to school. Even Asia was thinking of riding on his back.
- Large Ham: Every single time he uses Dress Break and Bilingual to his female opponents, he will be bringing ham. Just how hammy was when this skill was first used in the anime? He breaks out his devil wings, pulls off a pose fit for a Kamen Rider show, and lets loose with a finger snap. While Ominous Latin Chanting is playing on the background.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: He insisted to Koneko that he fight Saji in a one-on-one match when Koneko tells him that it's a team battle. He then outright tells Koneko that if Saji wanted to, he could've used his Sacred Gear on her.
- Living Emotional Crutch: An incredibly large one to Rias, Akeno, and, to a lesser extent, the rest of their team. When he (temporarily) died, Volume 12 starts by showing its devastating consequences on the team.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Everyone in his harem loves him and they're alright with his perverted antics. This was also pointed out when Issei lost his perverted nature thanks to Azael, and the girls wanted him back to the way he was.
- Love Hurts: It takes him nine volumes to even recover from Yuma's betrayal, and what does he get after confessing to Rias? One volume later, he dies trying to save Ophis.
- Magikarp Power: How his left gauntlet works. Every ten seconds, his power doubles. Get it boosted long enough and he can even kill any deity. Of course, due to the long preparation, no one's gonna wait for him to power up completely and get their asses kicked.
- Also applies to him more broadly. Early on he's a bog-standard human with a special ability he can barely even use and quickly realizes he's easily the weakest of Rias' peerage. Later on, with plenty of Training from Hell to help him along, he's become far and away the strongest.
- Magnetic Hero: He attracts special people like crazy. Practically everybody important in this series had some form of interaction with him. This is actually lampshaded by Sirzechs when he's talking with Azazel.
- Male Frontal Nudity: In Season 1 Episode 2 and it's uncensored, as a Freeze-Frame Bonus.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Averted, much to his chagrin because he really wants to lose it but can't because of his indecisiveness borne from trauma over Yuma's betrayal.
- Marshmallow Hell: He's usually the receiver of these from the Club girls, and hoo boy does he love it.
- Me's a Crowd: Something Azazel experimented on him. Three hundred of him to be exact. And yes, the cover illustration for said short story is a Shout-Out to 300.
- Meaningful Echo: His Badass Creed, especially about holding both infinity (Ophis) and dream (Great Red), is a lot more significant now that he's got both existences within him.
- Mistaken for Gay: After Kiryuu spreads a photo of Issei and Kiba singing a duet together, rumors of them having a relationship spread like wildfire. Doesn't help that Kiba sometimes even outright tells Issei that he'll protect him. Issei just thinks he's nuts.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: He's the servant and Rias is the mistress.
- Mr. Fanservice: After his Training from Hell with Tannin, he has developed so fit a body half of his female classmates fell for him, his notoriety for his perversions notwithstanding.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: He grows extra limbs, some of which are sword-like, when in Juggernaut Drive.
- Multiform Balance: How Illegal Move Trident works.
- Fragile Speedster: Welsh Sonic Boost Knight gives up armor in exchange for speed.
- Glass Cannon: Welsh Blaster Bishop has a long charge time but has very destructive attacks.
- Jack of All Stats: Normal Balance Breaker has no weakness but doesn't add any special powers.
- Lightning Bruiser: Cardinal Crimson Promotion basically combines all 3 modes' strong points without any of their weakness. However, it takes the mastering of all three forms just to maintain it.
- Mighty Glacier: Welsh Dragonic Rook has heavy attack and defense but due to the extra armor in this mode speed is lowered.
- Mundane Utility: How he acquired Dress Break in the first place was to peel vegetables at a distance.
- Naked on Revival
- Nice Guy: Despite being a pervert, he's actually one of the kindest, most generous people in the series. Part of the reason why girls are falling head over heels for him.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Destroying one of Cao Cao's eyes didn't exactly end well when he gets a rematch with replacing his now-missing eye with Medusa's eye.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A perverted high school student that is both a dragon and a devil.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: He mostly deals with his enemies this way in-battle, though he'd much rather talk his way out.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Stays behind the group in Volume 11 to rescue Ophis from Shalba.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: This trope happens to him so many times that it's not even funny anymore. To wit:
- Didn't accept a membership flier from Rias' Familiar at the start of the story? He would have been Killed Off for Real by Yuma.
- Rias didn't rescue him from Dohnaseek, and later Freed? Would have died.
- Didn't attain Balance Breaker against Kuroka? Would have died.
- Never used Phoenix tears before his second fight with Cao Cao? Would have died.
- The Dragon Eater curse would have killed him had Ddraig and Boosted Gear's past hosts had not interfered.
- Nosebleed: Too many times to count. However, in the later volume, Issei gotten somewhat use to the girls antic and became more calm about it.
- Oblivious to Love: As much as he's perverted, he doesn't catch the fact that all of the girls in the club love him. Justified, due to his recurring trauma from Yuma/Reynalle's betrayal.
- Obvious Rule Patch: Every single time he makes up a new move, the Rating Games always outright ban that move after use the match. Doesn't mean he can't use it outside a Rating Game, though.
- Official Couple: After ten volumes, he's officially a couple with Rias. Then again, it's not like it ever stopped his harem, nor the fact that he hasn't even fulfilled his dream.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Normally, he would proclaim his love for breasts, make some smartass comments, and as hot-blooded as possible. However, when he really gets serious, other characters note that he's different from the way he usually is.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Inverted. Cao Cao, Vali, Sairaorg and Kiba all express their wishes to defeat Issei one day. Them being all guys, Issei wasn't amused by it.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Throughout Volumes 11-12.
- Pals with Jesus: He is the only person Ophis considers a friend.
- Papa Wolf: To all the younger girls, but especially Asia and Koneko. Just ask Kuroka and Diodora.
- Person of Mass Destruction: His missed attacks can blow up mountains.
- Trident Bishop can destabilize artificial dimensions.
- Kiba even points out later on that whenever they train, it just feels so tiring to train with Issei because one hit from Issei will kill him.
- The first time he uses Trident Bishop, he would have killed the entire Hero Faction had Cao Cao not saved them.
- Porn Stash: Thinks he hid it pretty well until his mom blurts out where it's located at. Later on, the girls get to look at said stash, which humiliates Issei even further.
- Power at a Price: In the beginning (at least with his battle against Riser), he borrowed Ddraig's power at the cost of his left arm, turning dragon-like — not that he minds it, as Rias and Akeno have to do "that sort of thing"note every couple of days to turn it back to normal.
- Powered Armor: Balance Breaker: Boosted Gear Scale Mail
- Power Perversion Potential: Half of his abilities works like this.
- Clothing Damage/The Nudifier: Dress Break — anyone he touches, his/her clothes get shredded off. This was declared an illegal move in subsequent Rating Games where, technically, there are no rules.
- Hearing Voices: Bilingual — Yes, he can hear a woman's secrets and plans just from their breasts.
- The Power of Love: Issei is powered by this... but mostly he's powered by lust.
- Note that this is not a good thing. The first time it happens is when he thinks Asia has been killed by Shalba. He loses his shit and literally eats the guy alive. Issei on The Power of Love is absolutely terrifying.
- Punched Across the Room: How he defeats Yuma/Raynare.
- Rags to Riches: While he wasn't exactly destitute at the beginning, he was middle-class at best. After his TV show got started, his income skyrocketed. It's currently managed by Grayfia because he isn't ready to deal with that much money yet.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers this towards Shalba the second time he curb-stomped him.
- Red Baron: The "Red Dragon Emperor" (by taming Ddraig), "Breast Dragon Emperor" (by attaining Balance Breaker through by pressing Rias' nipples), and "Hero of the Underworld".
- Red Is Heroic: His Red Dragon Emperor Armor.
- Required Secondary Powers: He needs a lot of stamina just to be able to make Boosted Gear work properly.
- The Rival: While Vali is more likely his rival thanks to their Sacred Gears, he considers his true rival to be Saji.
- Rivals Team Up: With Vali against Loki.
- Roar Before Beating: When in Juggernaut Drive against Shalba.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: He's the one who screams when he accidentally walks in on Asia while she was in the shower instead of the other way around.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Issei is the can to Ddraig.
- Second Year Protagonist
- Serious Business: If you want to put on a strip show for him, take out your bra first before your panties. Sairaorg's Bishop found that out the hard way.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Saji to Souna, which becomes a bit complicated when he starts calling Souna on a First Name Basis, as well as Shinra/Kiba, which he further enforces once he realizes that the latter is apprently becoming too close to him for comfort.
- Shoulder Cannon: His Illegal Trident Bishop form.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Rias. Even referred by Azazel as "that stupid couple".
- Signature Move: If he's fighting a female opponent, 90% of the time he'll be using either Dress Break/Bilingual/both and a Dragon Shot.
- Spanner in the Works: Wrecks his opponents' plans like no tomorrow.
- Reynalle: Punched her in the face so hard she got blown out.
- Riser: Beats him up at his own engagement party.
- Souna: Uses Bilingual on her entire team and had their plans found out.
- Diodora: Defeated Reynalle, thus getting Asia's affection.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The fan translation of the light novels and recent scanlations use "Ise" for his katakana nickname (イッセー, Issē) to differentiate from his kanji name (一誠, Issei). This is averted in FUNimation's subtitled streams, where they use Issei for both readings.
- Spit Take: When his mother asks him when is she going to have a grandchild ever since he finally calls Rias by name.
- Status Buff: How Gift works.
- Straight Man: When not in pervert mode, he actually becomes this — to Asia and Xenovia when they end up praying and gain damage, to Rias when he recognized who the Satan Rangers were (while Rias thought it was a new enemy), to Bikou and Vali when they thought Mil-tan was a Cat Girl, tried this to Irina when she said she wanted to create a new club but is still joining the Occult Research Club, and to Rossweisse when he lampshades how her immediate reaction to the Clothing Damage she received from Dress Break was to complain about losing her clothes that cost her money instead of immediately covering herself up.
- Superpower Lottery: Subverted. While one would think that having one of the strongest Sacred Gear that doubles your power every ten seconds would be a big win? Issei himself is utterly talentless and has to compensate by going through Training from Hell to even learn how to use it. Played straight when technically becomes the offspring of both Ophis and Great Red.
- Technical Pacifist: Never kills anybody even though he beats the crap out of them.
- Tender Tears: Yes, perverts are able to regard girls as people with feelings, hopes and dreams, not just objects.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Longinus Smasher with a Great Red powerup against a beast that has a Healing Factor faster than anyone can damage. He obliterated Jabberwocky this way with assistance from Sirzechs' servants.
- This Loser Is You: Pre Devil Upgrades and even then, Issei is a perverted and unlucky virgin who can't win sometimes.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Made it his creed to never kill anyone, and at worst give people a bloody beatdown. Even fatal attacks in Ratings Games are rendered nonlethal due to its special rules. Eventually subverted, with Shalba (after their second fight).
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Well, it is a shounen series after all. Except his is a bit more unconventional than the norm.
- Title Drop: Since Great Red used his powers to create Issei a body with the help of Ophis, he's now also known as the "Dragon of Dragons" or "D×D" who's still in high school; or in short, High School DXD.
- Tranquil Fury: He's usually loud and hotblooded, but if he's in this state, you might want to run away pretty quick.
- Transformation Sequence: When he puts on his Balance Breaker for the first time in the anime.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Yet somehow, no one attacks him while he's transforming in this form. Even Sirzechs lampshades that it's a rule to never attack while the opponent is transforming.
- Unskilled, but Strong: His main problem once he actually starts getting stronger is that he lacks technique.
- We Can Rebuild Him: His old body is destroyed beyond repair, so Great Red and Ophis creates him a new, fully draconic body.
- We Do the Impossible: Summoning a god from another dimension that other gods don't even know about definitely counts.
- Weirdness Magnet: He even lampshades that he's been attracting a lot of weird people lately.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He's called out by the other members of his group when asked as to what Rias really means to him. He says "Club Leader" is "Club Leader" and not as "Rias", causing Rias to run out the room crying. The other girls turn around and fix his emotional baggage.
- When All You Have Are Rias' Breasts: Anytime Issei needs a serious power up, it's always going to be with Rias' breasts. Examples include:
- Need to attain Balance Breaker when Issei's getting curb-stomped? Push Rias' nipples.
- Need to get out of Juggernaut Drive? Push Rias' nipples.
- Having a power-up in the middle fighting the Hero Faction? Push Rias' nipples that are glowing.
- Already unconscious from a Regulus Nemea-equipped Sairaorg? Have Rias' breasts be glowing in a crimson color.
- Need to have more firepower when your so tired after using two Dragon Blasters and Gift? Use Gift on Rias' breasts and have them act as a battery.
- The Worf Barrage
- Possibly the weirdest one ever. Dress Break doesn't work on Sairaorg's Bishop because she's willing to strip, thus using said skill would be pointless because ruining a strip show is pretty bad. He then tries to use Bilingual but the only thing that's coming out from her breasts is which piece of clothing she's willing to take off next.
- A more serious example would be his Balance Breaker Scale Mail. If you could break his armor, then it indicates that you're a threat to him. If you can't, expect to be utterly destroyed in combat with ease.
- Currently, his Trianna Rook seems to be on its way here. So far, Sairaorg and Grendel have deflected it.
- Would Hit a Girl: Piss him off by hurting his loved ones, and gender wouldn't be an obstacle as to who he'll punch.
My name is Rias Gremory. I am a Devil. And I am your Master. Nice to meet you, Hyoudou Issei-kun. Can I call you Ise?
Declared as the beauty of Kuoh Academy the head of the House of Gremory, Rias is a top-ranked devil and Issei's master. She first appears to him after he summons her with his dying words. Taking pity on him, and also because she's interested in his Sacred Gear, she revives him with eight Pawn pieces. Referred to by everyone as "President".
- Action Girl: Kings are supposed to hang back and command their pieces. Rias prefers to mix it in — and it's not a good thing, because a team loses if their King goes down. Both she and Sairaorg are scolded for this.
- Adorkable: When Rias caught Issei with other girls and tend to act childish about it like getting into a pillow fight with Akeno.
- Badass in Distress: That is, if you can call the engagement party with Riser being a distress moment.
- Badass Princess
- Bad Bad Acting: Didn't really want to play as the Damsel in Distress to lure out the remaining Issei clones.
- Battle Couple: With Issei. Becomes more so when her breasts act as a battery for Issei.
- Bedmate Reveal: Doesn't mind sleeping naked with Issei.
- Benevolent Boss: She loves her subordinates so much she treats them as family rather than employees.
- Berserk Button: Hurting any one of her servants (or even witnessing other Kings mistreat their own servants) is like inviting a roasting from her. When the three fallen angels she and Akeno are confronted by in Season 1 Episodes 4-5 say how funny they found Issei being taken in by Yuuma and almost killed by her to be, she only waits long enough for Akeno to tell them they picked a fight with the wrong person before she vaporizes all three of them with one fell swoop.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Asia's Betty for Issei's Archie when she moved to the Hyoudou residence.
- Black Bra and Panties
- Breast Expansion: Reversed; restoring Issei with her breasts after Gift being used on them causes them to shrink. Fortunately (for Issei) they grow back after she rests.
- Calling the Old Man Out: After finding out the dark secret before she became in charge of Kuoh Town, she calls out Lord Bael. Putting that in perspective, she basically calls out someone higher than the president.
- Can't Catch Up: Gets hit by this hard. Unlike the rest of the club, she doesn't gain any new ability, thus she did not get any stronger than where she was at initially, to the point that she thought of herself as The Load during her and Issei's fight against Sairaorg and his Pawn.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: After falling in love with Issei, Rias tend to get very jealous whenever girls get close to him and even said that Issei belongs to her only.
- Advent after Issei confess to her and start dating that Rias started to accept Issei dream of having a harem and doesn't get easily jealous as before.
- Cool Big Sis: Lovingly kind or sternly mature as the situation calls for it.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Her magical breasts work because of this trope, and we here at TV Tropes deified her for that.
- Crutch Character: At the start, she's the strongest member in the club. As time goes on, she devolves into middle tier.
- Cry Cute: In one scene in Season 1's opening, after Issei rescues her from Riser, and after Issei comes back to life at the end of Volume 12.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Face Palm: Does this all the time.
- First Kiss: With Issei.
- Foreign Fanservice: Although they look to have similar skin tone, after Issei's mother walks in on the pair naked in bed together, she specifically tells his father he's in bed with a foreign girl.
- Probably has to do with her radiant crimson hair. (While red hair DOES exist in Japan, it's very rare unless it's on a foreigner, and native Japanese with red hair tend to dye it black to avoid ostracism.)
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Idiot Hair
- If It's You, It's Okay: She's willing to be naked in front of her servants, especially towards Issei.
- Intimate Healing: How she heals Issei's wounds from a Fallen Angel attack.
- Image Song: Crimson No Binetsu
- Let's Get Dangerous: After Issei died and returned, she created a new technique, considered too dangerous to use in Rating Games, because it would kill too fast for emergency teleportation to save the victim. Rias mentions she wanted it to be like that, since it's a technique to kill anyone who tries to hurt Issei again.
- A Loving Big Sister to Her Servants: She really loves her servants; breaking their hearts and making them cry is a one-way ticket to the afterlife.
- Made of Temptation: Successfully tempts Rossweisse to join the group as teacher and Rook despite her age. Issei notes that she could have a successful career selling insurance... or anything else, really.
- Magnetic Hero: She has gathered quite a lot of powerful and special people in her group even before meeting Issei. Lampshaded by Sirzechs when talking with Azazel.
- Meaningful Name: Rias' Pawn is a Fairy Chess Piece that can also move sideways. It was proposed as a way to "shake up" the rules of chess, as Issei does for the Rating Game.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: She is the mistress to Issei's servant.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: While Issei was freaking out and his mother seemed stunned, her response when she walked in on them naked in bed was a polite "good morning" without even trying to cover herself up.
- Nice Girl: Despite her strict nature during missions and training, Rias is very kind and caring toward her Peerage than most other masters. That is, if you don't push her buttons.
- Onee-sama: Referred to as one of the Two Great Ladies of Kuoh Academy.
- Out-Gambitted: By Souna.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Sometimes wears a pair of glasses, even though she has good vision.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Baron: "Crimson-Haired Ruin Princess"
- Embarrassing Nickname: Later on, she becomes known as "Switch Princess", much to her embarrassment, and blames Bikou for it. She is later called the "Crimson Bust Princess" by Azazel in Volume 11.
- Red Is Heroic
- Red Oni: To Akeno's Blue Oni.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Her surname Gremory, is taken from one of the only three female demons (of the 72 demons of the Ars Goetia) — with the other two being a wolf and a mermaid.
- Risking The King: Being a powerful devil with destruction magic is a double-edged sword when it puts the leader in harm's way. Happens literally in ratings games, where a manpower shortage and her reluctance to let her peerage suffer for her sake lead her to get involved quite quickly. Best shown during the first Ratings Game of the series, where her entire strategy is a glorified diversion so she can take on the enemy king directly.
- Shower Scene: Multiple times, in fact.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Tsubaki and Kiba.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Issei in Volume 11. To the point that they forget people are watching them.
- Squishy Wizard: She's got awesome magical attack power, but she's terrible at taking hits.
- Team Mom: Seriously, she is more of a mother to her servants than a "master" proper.
- Try Not to Die: Her one order in volume 17 when a group of volunteers protect Sona's school from evil dragons.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: See Let's Get Dangerous above. Mess with Issei, and Rias will vaporize you.
Lord. Can you please listen to my wish? Please protect Ise-san forever. Also... Please allow me to continue living with Ise-san... Role:
Human / Reincarnated Devil Voiced by: Azumi Asakura
(Japanese) and Chloe Daniels (English)
A former nun who Issei found and befriended while she was looking for a church in town. She gets killed by fallen angels and is revived by Rias as her Bishop.
- Alliterative Name: Gamebreaking points for having the same initials as her Japanese voice actress.
- Amusing Injuries: Apparently her nun training is still pretty well-ingrained. If she's relieved, she usually says something like "Thank God" followed by a whimper of pain since devils cannot pray. However, there's really no excuse for her trying to read The Bible repeatedly even though it has the same effect.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers an awesome one towards Diodora when he insulted Issei.
- The Archer: She can heal allies at a long distance. If she's near an enemy, the healing aura will just dissolve. She doesn't utilize the Reverse method because it would be risky for the Twilight Healing user (that and she's surrounded by one hell of a Badass Crew anyway).
- Betty and Veronica: After Rias moved to the Hyoudou residence in Volume 2, she was the Betty to Rias' (and later Akeno and Xenovia) Veronica.
- Burn the Witch!: Got branded a heretic when she was discovered to be able to heal not only angels and humans, but also devils.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: It starts to show up a lot more after Rias moves in with him and her in his parent's house. As a result, if Asia sees Rias doing something perverted, she'll attempt to join in. For example, if she sees Rias naked in bed with Issei, she'll start stripping off her clothes as well.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Gets better as she becomes more exposed to the world.
- Contrived Coincidence: Asia was lucky Vali and his group were around at the Dimension Gap looking for Gogmagog, otherwise she would have been Killed Off for Real.
- Damsel in Distress: Twice in fact. The first time was when Twilight Healing was taken away from her and the second time was when Diodora had her as a hostage. Because of her tendency to become this, Issei and Xenovia eventually made it their vow to premptively crush everything that will pose a threat to her.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Driven to Suicide: Averted, due to the knowledge that even in death, Issei would be disappointed in her for doing so, even if she did it to be with him in death. Thankfully for Asia, Death Is Cheap.
- Dojikko: In her and Koneko's spinoff manga.
- First Kiss: With Issei
- Fish out of Water: Doesn't even know how to make orders from a fastfood chain. Though she gets better over time.
- Foreign Fanservice: She's from somewhere in Europe.
- Green Eyes
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Fits the trope to a T.
- Healing Hands: The goddess of this trope.
- Idiot Hair
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Thankfully Issei, Rias and their friends are there for her.
- Image Song: Kagiri Naku Junsui ni Chikai Daten
- Innocent Fanservice Girl
- Instant Expert: Picks up demon magic with just a few lessons from Akeno. Then again, it seems to follow a similar process to Twilight Healing, which she's been using all her life.
- Meaningful Name: Her surname is Italian for "silver", as in silver crosses. She even wears one in her introductory arc before being revived as a devil.
- The Medic
- Nice Girl: Asia is possibly one of the kindest characters in the series as she still believe in Issei despite being a pervert and still prays to God despite becoming a devil.
- No Pronunciation Guide: In the dub, Issei's father pronounces it the way one says it the English manner (A-ja), while she corrects him in that it's AH-zyah.
- Parental Abandonment: According to her backstory, her parents left her behind at a church doorstep, thus leading her to be...
- Power at a Price: For Fafnir to follow her instructions, he just needs a treasure. Unfortunately for Asia, it's her panties.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Some scanlations often use "Aashia" and "Ashia". Some early promotional material didn't help solve this issue either until they resolved it with her current name.
- Summon Magic: This is what Azazel advices to Asia so she could catch up with the rest of the team. So he gives her Fafnir.
- Supreme Chef: Out of all the harem, Asia is believed to be the best in cooking.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Xenovia's tomboy.
- Touched by Ophis: Is blessed by Ophis to be able to make pacts with Dragons, the first is Fafnir. (Rassei doesn't count as he is a Familiar).
- Tsundere: Not her, her breasts! Yes, Issei used his new ability to hear what a girl's breasts are saying.
- Undying Loyalty: After falling in love with Issei, Asia swears that she will always stand by Issei's side forever, and in demon years that is in the thousands. She even declares to join Issei's Peerage when he becomes a High-Class Devil.
You can rely on me more, you know~ Role:
Human-Fallen Angel / Reincarnated Devil Voiced by: Shizuka Ito
(Japanese) and Teri Rogers (English)
Rias' confidant, subordinate and fellow member in the Occult Research Club, Akeno is a half-human, half-fallen angel with a grudge against her father, Baraqiel, for her mother's death, joining Rias to exact revenge
- The Ace: She is quite skilled and adaptable in combat, to the point that even some of the other characters are fearful of facing her due to her abilities as well as her queen ranking.
- Action Girl
- Berserk Button: Hurt Issei in front of her, and she goes nuts.
- Blood Knight: Enjoys combat a little too much for comfort.
- Blue Oni: To Rias' Red Oni.
- Bunny Girl: Dressed up as one to attract Issei's clones. Naturally, they all fall for it, hook, line and sinker.
- Calling the Old Man Out: One of the reasons she joined Rias' group.
- Cat Fight: She does this with Rias a lot once she falls for Issei too.
- Chef of Iron
- Combat Sadomasochist: She takes a great deal of pleasure from inflicting pain in others, and her primary method of doing this is in her combat support role as Rias Gremory's Queen.
- Cool Big Sis: To the Occult Research Group and by extension, to the entire Academy.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Oh ye gods. Her's is possibly the worst of the bunch.
- Dissonant Serenity: How could she be giggling after killing someone?!
- Dominatrix: Invokes this for some of her contracted 'clients'.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Played for Drama at the start of Volume 12, following Issei's (temporary) death. Played for Laughs in the Hot Springs short story, when she walks in on Grayfia and Issei, coming to the assumption that she has a "real affair" with him, and drops on the floor with hollow eyes.
- Elemental Powers
- Shock and Awe
- Light 'em Up: Her Holy Lightning, which she inherited from her father. She initially hates using these powers until Issei convinces her otherwise.
- Expy: She surely does look a lot like Kaori Kanzaki. They even share the same seiyuu!
- Eyes Always Shut: At times...
- Fallen Angels Are Sex Gods: In universe, female Fallen Angels are renowned for having very seductive bodies and her naturally sexy disposition, plus having the largest breast size in the series so far, only enhances this fact. Azazel himself states that Akeno is seductive even for a Fallen Angel.
- First Kiss: Somewhat with Issei, as she just touch his lips with her lightly.
- Hair Antennae: A rather unique variant in which they slope backwards, rather then forwards.
- Heroic BSOD: After Issei's (temporary) death, she was seen lying on the sofa, arms limping, devoid of life in her eyes and not responding to Kiba's attempts to talk to her.
- Heroic Seductress: Rias makes a comment that Akeno would make an excellent succubus. Noted that she only desires to sex up Issei.
- Hope Spot: Gave one towards the Issei clones before decimating them with her magic.
- I Hate You, Fallen Angel Dad: Until they both resolve it.
- Image Song: Kurokami BEGIN TALE
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: After taking in so much of Issei's ki from sucking all that power whenever Issei needs to have his arm back to human form, her powers have evolved to the point that they are dragon-shaped. Let's just say mayhem ensues even more now.
- It Runs in the Family: Technically, Akeno is a sadomasochist, meaning she can switch between being the giver or taker depending on the situation. She got the masochism from her father, and the sadism from her mother.
- Miko: Dresses as one when it's time to get really serious. She inherited it from her mother.
- The Mistress: What she wants to be for Issei. She even actively pursues this. Rias is very aware of her 'plan' and is NOT happy. She is crushed when it seems Grayfia is one for Issei.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A miko who is also a fallen angel and a devil.
- Number Two: She is the first servant and friend Rias made in the human world.
- Onee-sama: Referred to as one of the Two Great Ladies of Kuoh Academy.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Red Baron: "Priestess of Thunder", and later "Priestess of Lightning" after mastering Holy Lightning.
- Romanticized Abuser: A bonafied sadist, unless it's Issei, at which point she becomes the masochist for him and only him.
- Sex Is Violence: As noted under Blood Knight above, Akeno really enjoys combat. Some of the expressions she wears in the manga go well beyond "suggestive". It goes without saying that we deified her for this trope.
- This is one of the few things that had to be toned down in the anime. During the first fight against a stray devil, Rias tell Akeno to back off when she starts torturing it. In the novel, Rias just stands back and waits for Akeno to "calm down".
- Sexophone: Almost played straight in Season 2, when Issei has to have his excess dragon ki 'removed' by Akeno. As soon as she enters the room, the music starts... Plenty of finger sucking to be had.
- Skinship Grope: Gropes Rias at the swimming pool of the Gremory household. She also gives quite a few to Issei as well.
- Smug Super: Always puts up a smile in battle.
- Stepford Smiler: She is usually smiling. However, bring up her Dark and Troubled Past, or harm Issei, and she'll go nuts on you.
- Stripperiffic: Her Fallen Angel Mode.
- The Tease: Oh so much. As this is her default setting, even normally innocent teasing can taken as flirty.
- As her love for Issei blossoms, she eventually no longer teases him, but flirts with genuine desire for lovemaking.
- One of the first season's short specials entirely revolves around her teasing Issei. Turns out it was all just a dream.
- Verbal Tic: "Ara ara~" (Oh my~).
- Virgin Power: Took advantage of this to lure the Unicorn go near her. She then smacks said unicorn and the group takes the unicorn's horn.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Look for yourself.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: When not in sadist mode, Akeno come off as a ideal Japanese woman due to her long black hair and gentle smile. Not to mention she is a great cook like Asia and Rias. Akeno is also polite and devoted to Issei and her team. However, Akeno has a fragile personality to her as she "depend" on men due to her sad past.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: She is a Human/Fallen Angel hybrid turned Demon.
I seriously won’t know what will happen when I am within this group. Role:
Modified Human / Reincarnated Devil Voiced by: Kenji Nojima
(Japanese) and Sean O'Connor (English)
The school prince of Kuoh Academy and Issei's self-proclaimed best friend, Yuto was the lone survivor of a failed project which used a group of children to wield holy swords, and swore revenge on those who disposed him and his friends.
...Are you thinking of lecherous stuff again, Ise-senpai?
School mascot of Kuoh Academy and one of Rias' earliest members. She's in the care of the House of Gremory after her older sister Kuroka killed their master. Not wanting to become like her, she's sealed most of her powers until Issei convinces her otherwise
- A-Cup Angst: She reacts violently when Freed calls her a "little girl." She explains that she feels this way about herself when offering to restore Issei's lifespan with senjutsu via sex.
- In volume 3 she even states that not being looked at pervertedly gives her complex feelings.
- Not the case anymore if volume 16 is accurate.
- Animal Jingoism: She has a cat motif, while Ravel has a bird motif; cats and birds generally get along poorly.
- Badass Adorable
- Berserk Button: Don't call her "little" or she'll throw things at you. Lots of them, in rapid succession.
- Can't Catch Up
- Cats Are Snarkers
- Cat Girl: In thematic appearance as well as actual lineage.
- Character Development: Initially harsh to Issei, witnessing his determination and strength eventually helps her warm up to him, to the point where she falls in love with him and once even suggested having sex with him.
- Crutch Character: She ends up as the weakest combat unit, and eventually asks Kuroka for help to get stronger.
- Cry Cute: The beginning of Volume 12, after a futile attempt to try to maintain her composure following Issei's (temporary) death.
- Cute Bruiser
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Zig-zagged.
- Glacier Waif
- Hidden Depths: She's a fan of rapping and shows it off to Issei.
- Heroic RROD: Her Shirone mode counts as after a few minutes she is exhausted. Although Azazel claims that with time, it won't be a problem.
- Image Song: Jounetsu-Unbalance
- Intimate Healing: She does this for Issei in order to recover his lifespan. The fact that she does it happily is a sign of her growing feelings for him.
- Jailbait Wait: Issei implements this on her for her own safety, because were she to have a child with him at her current size, it would spell disaster for her and their unborn child.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Kiba.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Meaningful Name: Koneko is a good name for a Cat Girl as it is Japanese for "kitten" (more literally "child cat"), while her surname means "castle", befitting her positon as Rook.
- Meaningful Rename: Koneko isn't her real name, rather it's Shirone, itself meaning "White Sound".
- Mighty Glacier
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Once again, Ayana Taketatsu is associated with cats. As well as Jad Saxton.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Size inversely proportionate to her titanic strength. Justified because her Evil Piece is a Rook, which gives her incredible strength and defense.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Pale, soft-spoken, silver hair, petite...although she's the one dealing out the slapstick violence to Issei most of the time, which is highly atypical of this trope.
- Soul Power: Senjutsu in a nutshell.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Sweet Tooth: Least in the anime, she's fairly often see nibbling on snacks. Mentioned when the Club are off to the faction meeting, and Koneko prepared a box of snacks while she and Gasper wait - Issei privately thinks they're all for her.
- Super Mode: "Shirone Mode" in volume 16, in more ways than one.
- Super Strength: Contrasted strongly with her build.
- Title Drop: When trying to name the organization that will fight against Rizevim Lucifer's group, she names it the D×D.
- Token Mini-Moe: The smallest character in the main cast, at least until she is joined in this position by Ravel, Gasper and Ophis.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ravel; their relationship is even compared to a cat and a bird, as pointed out by Azazel.
- When She Smiles: So cute that every home should have one. See for yourself◊.
I will bring judgement upon you with my own hands, in the name of God. Role:
Human / Reincarnated Devil Voiced by: Risa Taneda
(Japanese) and Ramona Newel (English)
A former exorcist, Xenovia first appears in Volume 3 alongside Irina to find pieces of Excalibur stolen by a fallen angel.
- Action Girl
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Something Kiba notes that she really needs to get out of. Which finally happens in Volume 14.
- Badass Cape
- BFS: Durandal is a pretty big sword.
- Book Dumb: Subverted; she's one of the smartest at her class much to Issei's surprise. This is even more impressive since when she first started attending Kuoh, she wasn't even literate note and mentions pulling all-nighters so she can learn to read the classwork properly.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Character Development: Initially rude to Asia, herself a former follower of God, until she eventually mellows out to her to the point of becoming an older sister surrogate.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Lacks a lot of common sense.
- Contralto of Danger: Her normal voice, made even more evident when she practiced "how to be a normal teenage girl"
Xenovia: (Voice several pitches higher than her usual coarse-and-masculine contralto) Let's get along, 'kay, Issei-kun!
Issei: That cutesey voice does NOT suit you!
Xenovia: (Switches straight back to her normal-unfeminine voice) I know, I tried to copy Irina, and it was SO difficult.
- Cool Sword: Current wielder of Durandal.
- Covert Pervert: The "pervert" part is undeniable. The "covert" part is at best paper-thin. During the short story "300 Isseis", when one of his clones (whom she thought was the real Issei) used Dress Break on her, she got angry not because she got stripped, but because he didn't do anything else to her.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: When she first runs into Issei and Asia, she seems to know quite a bit about the latter, such as her having been a saint turned devil. She also mentioned that she was in town to retrieve some holy swords that were stolen by fallen angels, and wanted Rias to promise not to interfere.
- Do You Want to Copulate?: She wastes no time in letting Issei know that she wants his genes. She even has condoms on hand for whenever he wants to 'practice'.
- Dual Wielding: Usually wields Durandal but sometimes she wields it alongside Ascalon whenever Issei lends it to her.
- Dumb Muscle: A debatably accurate accusation often leveled towards her, much to her annoyance. She entirely lacks finesse or technique in combat, and just powers through, making her the exact opposite of dexterity-oriented Kiba. This leads to a hilarious subversion in Volume 14, when she starts using different Excaliburs. Kiba actually starts shedding tears of joy, and the attacking magicians are dumbstruck that the "power idiot" can use techniques.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She made a brief appearance in the post credits of Season 1 during the announcement for W.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Accumulated a lot of fangirls during the Rating Games.
- Faith Heel Turn: Subverted — even after Rias' team, she still retains her faith in God.
- Foreign Fanservice: Her nationality is Italian, according to official material.
- Heel-Face Turn: After finding out that the God of the Bible is already dead, she decides to join Rias' group.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Her church battle outfit
- In the Hood: Her cape features this.
- Mama Bear: When Asia is taken by Diodora, she vaporizes two devils who got in her way.
- Morph Weapon: Knows how to use Mimic thanks to Irina.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Done with any talks before the fight? She'll fire off the first blow before anyone else, much to Issei's consternation.
- She really wanted to kill Diodora. Shalba beat her to it.
- No Social Skills: Talks about condoms and having babies to Issei out loud in front of everybody. Needless to say, she doesn't have the slightest social grace.
- Only One Name: Up until Volume 19, where it is revealed that her full name is Xenovia Quarta.
- Pillar of Light: What happens when she combines Durandal with Ascalon.
- Raised Catholic: Like Asia, she was also raised in a Catholic church, hence her lack of experience with the real world.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Xenovia or Zenobia?
- Stuff Blowing Up: She does this with her sword.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the tomboy compared to Asia and Irina.
- Vapor Wear: Revealed by Irina.
- Why Did It Have to Be Griselda?: Apparently is afraid of her swordsmaster-turned-Angel, as shown in her short story.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: With a green fringe in front.
Ace of Spades Species:
Human / Reincarnated Angel Voiced by: Maaya Uchida
(Japanese) and Kristi Kang (English)
Issei's childhood friend, she first appears in Volume 3, returning to Japan to look for the Excalibur swords alongside Xenovia. At first, she didn't like the idea that Issei is now a devil, but comes to terms with later. She then joins the club in Volume 6, reborn as an angel in the service of Michael under the designation of "Ace of Spades".
Do you think a world without God is wrong? Do you think a world without God would decay? I am sorry to say but that isn’t the case. Me and you as well are both healthily living like this. The world moves even without a God. Species:
Fallen Angel Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama
(Japanese) and Phil Parsons (English)
Formerly the leader of the fallen angels, he first appears in Volume 4, when Issei mentions that he's one of his primary contractors. He then joins the club as advisor at Souna and Sirzechs' suggestion.
- The Ace: He's a Mad Scientist that reached several breakthroughs with Sacred Gears and even created an artifical Sacred Gear. He's also an exceptional Badass and leader of the fallen angels. To top it off, he's an extremely successful ladies' man. Needless to say he could be called perfect in every way.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: How he's described by Issei.
- The Atoner: Part of his reason for pushing for the peace conference is the fact that he still blames himself for the unintended consequences of his past orders, such as Reynalle killing Issei (whereas his original order was for her to simply spy on him) and Shuri being killed while her husband, Baraqiel, was on a mission given by Azazel himself, causing friction between him and his daughter Akeno. When father and daughter reconcile, he silently thanks Issei for helping him lift that burden.
- Badass: Anyone who could hack their arm without flinching has gotta be hardcore.
“Now then, Vali. What will you do? Shall I go at it again? Even if I have no armor and only one-handed, I can fight with you adequately.”
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Like you would never believe.
- The Casanova: To put it simply, he has a harem. A thousand of them in fact. No, that's not the number of chicks he made out with. He has a thousand harems — and he's made out with every single one of them.
- Combat Commentator: For the Ratings Game match between Team Gremory and Team Bael.
- Cool Car: Even has an anti-Dragon missile and a Kill Sat.
- Cool Teacher
- Drives Like Crazy: He can drive normally, but he's willing to fire off a rocket-booster on his sports car in narrow roads.
- Expy: Looks like an older version of Kyosuke Nanbu◊.
- First-Person Smartass: Whenever the narration goes to him, he's pretty snarky.
- The Gadfly: Loves trolling Issei for the hell of it.
- Genius Bruiser: He can kick ass and he can also study how to kick ass.
- Incoming Ham
"It's! HERE!" (After remembering Issei and Tannin's conversation after the latter accidentally summoned the breast fairy)
- Ironic Echo: He warned Issei and the rest of the group not to make enemies of Hades. In volume 12, he, Sirzechs, and Dulio confront Hades to make a complaint.
- Large Ham: When he has Rias "in hostage".
- Laser-Guided Karma: He finally gets his comeuppance after making Issei a Butt Monkey, oh so many times, by the entire group. Hilarity Ensues.
- Mad Scientist: He's devoted to studying Sacred Gears. He got excited after seeing the Nemean Lion Regulus and demands to Sairaorg to bring that to his lab for studying.
- The basis for replacing his arm with a cybernetic prosthesis, rather than, say, using his Sacred Gear research to heal it, is because he always wanted a robot hand.
- Major Injury Underreaction: He hacks off his arm using his light attack that supposedly is dangerous for him. He just brushes it off like it's nothing.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: He's accused of hypocrisy due to being a "terrorist" while suing for peace. Needless to say, he's not amused.
- Multicolored Hair: His hair fades to a lighter color at the front.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Inviting Ophis to Issei's house in hopes that there will be peace could be one, except it was the lesser of two evils. Had he not accepted Vali's request, worse could have happened with The Alliance and they would have never been able to gain Ophis as an ally.
- Not So Stoic: After seeing Rizevim, he destroys a wall to show how frustrated he is at seeing him.
- Oh, Crap: When he realizes he's getting ganged up by the group for starting the entire mess of the Issei clones.
- A more serious one happens when he finds out that Rizevim is now the leader of Khaos Brigade.
- Powered Armor: He uses it infused with Fafnir's spirit. Unlike other Sacred Gears, his is only artificial.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: To Katerea, after hacking off his left arm.
"I'll give you an arm at least."
- Redemption Quest: His motivation for initiating the peace talks and joining the Occult Research Club.
- Say My Name: When Indra reveals that he knows Cao Cao as a kid, he could only utter out "Indra!"
- Spot of Tea
- Too Kinky to Torture: After participating in one of Akeno's S&M plays.
- Trickster Mentor: To everybody, but more on Issei and Vali than everyone else.
(after losing it) All of you should be killed. I'll even devour your souls.
Rias' first Bishop and an extremely effeminate dhampyr
who doesn't even want to suck blood.
Species: Valkyrie / Reincarnated Devil
One of Odin's former valkyries, she first appears in the story accompanying Odin in the fifth volume to watch the Rating Games. Turns out, she hasn't even gathered a single warrior for Ragnarok.
Bishop (free agent) Species:
Pure Devil Voiced by:
Asuka Nishi (Japanese) and Brittney Karbowski
Riser's youngest sister, first appearing at Rias' first Ratings Game where she was a Bishop, but hardly did anything at all. In Volume 10, she transfers to Kuoh Academy as a first-year, being placed in the same class as Koneko and Gasper, much to the former's frustration.
- A Day in the Limelight: Volume 14 spends time on Ravel finding Issei a wizard to form a contract with, as well as dealing with a rogue group of magicians that have been manufacturing illicit Phenex tears to sell on the black market.
- Animal Jingoism: She has a bird motif, while Koneko has a cat motif; the two don't get along well.
- Breast Expansion: In recent volumes. See Your Size May Vary below.
- Cry Cute: At the start of Volume 12, following Issei's "death".
- Hidden Depths: Seems spoiled and shallow at first. But she's a very organized, clear-headed girl who is a talented baker, with an eidetic memory.
- Hot Wings: Like Riser, she also has the ability to sprout these.
- Mega Twintails
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Does this briefly in chapter 20 of the manga, complete with pose, only for Issei to walk past her to her frustration.
- Non-Action Girl: As of recent, she hasn't really done anything.
- In battle, at least. In one of the Volume 13 chapters, she sends Issei flying into a mountain when he "accidentally" sees her bathing while he was trying (and barely succeeded) to stop Raiser from DELIBERATELY peeking on Rias, Akeno, AND Ravel.
- Phoenix: Her animal motif, which fits her surname.
- Playing with Fire
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Her surname comes from the 37th of the 72 demons of the Ars Goetia, which is, as its name implies, a phoenix.
- Spoiled Sweet: Seems just spoiled at first, but the sweetness manifests when she falls in love with Issei.
- Supreme Chef: Can cook cakes just fine.
- Sweater Girl: After transferring to Kuoh Academy in Volume 10.
- Sweet Tooth: See Supreme Chef above.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female child of the Phenex family.
- Tsundere: Type B
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Koneko, via Animal Jingoism.
- Your Breast Size May Vary: Some illustrations of her either depict her flat-chested or with breasts nearly the same size as Asia's (pictured above). The Official Data Book later has it that her chest is actually 2cm below Xenovia's, and that her shifting sizes were due to artist error.