All spoilers regarding the first three story arcs (volumes 1-12) are unmarked. Examples pertaining to the fourth story arc can be spoiler tagged if necessary.Characters belonging to the Devil faction of High School D×D.To return to the Character page, go here.
open/close all folders
The Four Great Satans
Tropes relating to all four of them:
- Asskicking Pose: As the Satan Rangers.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Sirzechs and Ajuka earned their position specifically because they were too powerful to reasonably settle for anything less.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: They've all earned their credentials to be the Four Lords of Hell by kicking ass and taking names.
- Badass In Charge: Everyone of them, but the most notable one is Sirzechs.
- Barrier Maiden: Volume 21 and EX reveal that, except Ajuka, the Satans and their peerage (minus their Queen) along with the rest of the Alliance leaders are forced to seal Trihexa and suppress its power inside that seal for God knows how many years, but at the most at least ten thousand.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Issei even wonders how all four of them can even run Hell's affairs.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sirzechs (Choleric), Serafall (Sanguine), Ajuka (Melancholic), and Falbium (Phlegmatic).
- Large Ham: When acting as the Satan Rangers but especially Sirzechs and Serafall.
- Paper-Thin Disguise/Master of Disguise: Issei's not fooled with how all five of them are acting as the Satan Rangers, so he's the former. Rias genuinely doesn't know that those five are her brother, her sister-in-law, and the other three lords of Hell.
- Satan: Its only in Title since they are not the original Satans.
- Super Sentai: It's as hilarious as one can think of.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: The original four Great Satans died in the Great War along with God, the four current Satans are just their replacements. With Ajuka the only Satan left after the others seal themselves with Trihexa and the plans to eventually create the a Seven Satan system as of Volume 21 which has become a reality by the EX timeline, this is no longer the case.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: All four plus Grayfia in a Sentai suit shot down an evil spirit. It tore the the entire sky and ripped open a new dimension.
Sirzechs Lucifer (Gremory)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese) and Alex Organ (English)
- The Ace: Back in the day.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: When he appears in the anime. Guy's got style.
- Badass Baritone: Provided by both Junichi Suwabe and Alex Organ.
- Badass Pacifist: Would prefer peace talks instead of fighting, but if push comes to shove, he will vaporize you.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He may be a nice person and a Badass Pacifist to boot, but if you push him far enough, he will be prepared to turn you into dust.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end of Volume 2, he organizes an Engagement Challenge for Issei to beat Riser.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The boke to Grafyia's tsukkomi.
- Cassandra Truth: Grayfia refutes Sirzechs's statements that she's his wife, but it later turns out to be true.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Considering he's the one who made the suggestion to Issei to use "Gift" on Rias's breasts...
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Any of his fights, including the one with Issei. And he wasn't even taking it seriously!
- Dating Catwoman: Back in the day, him and Grayfia were enemies because he was from the new generation devils and Grayfia was a servant of the original Lucifer.
- Eldritch Abomination: What the true form of his Power of Destruction looks like. This was enough to scare Hades, the god of the dead.
- Gone Horribly Right: In the same case as the Hoist by His Own Petard example below, Sirzechs originally championed the Oppai Dragon series to bring a source of hope and inspiration to the children of the Underworld. The fact that his son prefers Oppai Dragon to Satan Red, ie Ise over his own father, depresses him greatly.
- Happily Married: To Grayfia.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He seals himself to suppress Trihexa.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Played for Laughs when he asked his son which one he prefers: Satan Red or Breast Dragon. His son prefers the Breast Dragon. The hoist part? He was the one who pushed for that series in the first place.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Really looks like a male version of Rias. Of course, that's where the similarity ends.
- Insane Troll Logic: He once spent what is implied to be several days (if not a few weeks) straight stalking Issei as Satan Red in an attempt to take back Millicas's admiration from Oppai Dragon. It is exactly as insane as it sounds.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He has long hair and is considered attractive.
- Nice Guy: He's quite mellow, to say the least.
- The One That Got Away: He seals himself and his peerage to prevent Trihexa from wreaking havoc, leaving Grayfia whom he does not want to get involved with the monster.
- Promoted Fanboy: In-Universe. He wanted to compose his own music for a long time. Issei's show, "Oppai Dragon" made it possible for him.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Grayfia's blue.
- The Rival: According to Serafall, him and Ajuka were rivals back in the day to the point they even competed for the title of Lucifer.
- Shape Shifter: He can change into a cat if he wishes. This is how he met and made Souji his Knight.
- Shipper on Deck: He fervidly ships Issei with Rias.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Sizechs' name is derived from two characters from the Gundam franchise: Char Aznable from Mobile Suit Gundam and Zechs Merquise from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.
- Spanner Inthe Works: Sirzechs is the one who is responsible for having Issei infiltrate Riser's engagement party and challenge him to a duel.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Sirzechs greatly resembles his father and sister, right down to the eyes and the red hair.
- Switching P.O.V.: The light novel only shows us the conversation between Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory after Issei defeats Raiser while Sirzechs went away. In the anime, it shows his and Grayfia's perspective on the reason why he handed out the griffon to Issei and his thoughts on the Welsh Dragon joining the devil faction.
- Tranquil Fury: You do not want to piss this guy off at all.
Serafall Leviathan (Sitri)
- Voiced by: Ai Shimizu (Japanese) and Stephica Nishalencia (English)
- Action Girl: Her reaction towards Bandersnatches invading the Underworld? "A spear that can kill a god? Screw that, I'm going!" And she freezes a Bandersnatch right after that.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is a very nice girl, but if you push her far enough, she will fight you to the death.
- Big Sister Instinct: Threaten or harm Sona near her and she will murder them.
- Cosplay: She poses as a Magical Girl.
- Cry Cute: In one of the BorN Specials, she gets this look after Sona refuses to help her try on a blue Cosplay outfit, though it doesn't last long.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Not invited to the school observation? She'll just wage war on Heaven to blow off steam.
- Genki Girl: Fits this to a T.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Her introduction in the anime has her saying she wouldn't mind having sweet hot sex with Sona, her sister. In her own words, some Onee-sama! So-chan! yuri yuri action.
- The Glomp: She does this towards her younger sister Sona.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She seals herself to help suppress Trihexa.
- Incest Subtext: If you can call Serafall proclaiming reuniting and embracing in a "yuri" way subtle. Especially when done in school and in front of others.
- Person of Mass Destruction: According to Sona, a simple wave of her staff can destroy Japan four times over.
- Say it With Stars
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Serafall's name is derived from four characters from the Gundam franchise: Sayla Mass and Lalah Sune from Mobile Suit Gundam, Four Murasame from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Roux Louka from Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Is a lot more cheerful compared to Sona.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female Satan.
- Vapor Wear: Doesn't wear a bra under her shirt.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A. She is only a Tsundere away from getting Grade S!
Ajuka Beelzebub (Astaroth)
- Voiced by: Junichi Yanagita (Japanese) and Jerry Jewell (English)
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He can curb stomp an army while sitting down in his chair.
- Good with Numbers: So good that most of his devil powers are result of his calculations.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Sirzechs.
- Mad Scientist: Created the Evil Pieces system, and modifies it For the Lulz. This was likely why he was the only Satan who didn't seal himself to stop Trihexa, as otherwise this could have caused problems for Devils as a whole.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: He's accused of being one of the terrorists in Volume 6 despite the fact that he was also attacked. Might have something to do with one of the members of his former house working for the Khaos Brigade.
- The Rival: According to Serafall, him and Sirzechs were rivals back in the day.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Ajuka's name is derived from three characters from the Gundam franchise: Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam, Judau Ashta from Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Kamille Bidan from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.
Falbium Asmodeus (Glasya-Labolas)Considered as the military genius but hardly does any work and just passes his work to either his servants or to other people.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Passes off his work to his servants. Which is ironic, considering Asmodeus is the patron demon of lust
- Heroic Sacrifice: He seals himself to help stop Trihexa.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Falbium's name is derived from two machines from the Gundam franchise: G-Falcon of After War Gundam X and Dendrobium, GP 03 of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.
The Gremory Family
Tropes relating to all of them:
- Badass Family: Zeoticus and Venelana are two of the strongest devils of their respective clans. Their son Sirzechs is one of the Four Great Satans and their daughter Rias is the leader of the Occult Research Club and serves as King in her peerage. Sirzechs's son Millicas is a young devil will eventually succeed his grandfather as head of the Gremory Family.
- It Runs in the Family: Sirzechs and Rias inherited Venelana's Power of Destruction techniques.
- Red Is Heroic: All of the Gremory family members sport red hair.
- Something About a Rose: The clan's symbol consists of a red rose encased in a circle.
Lord Zeoticus Gremory
- Voiced by: Show Hayami (Japanese) and Andrew Chandler (English)
- The Archmage: Not in the level of Azi Dahaka (which was appropriately feared by the Gremorys in general), Zeoticus is said to be able to use many different forms of magic.
- Badass Baritone: Provided by both Show Hayami in Japanese and Andrew Chandler in English.
- Badass Beard: He sports a small red goatee on his chin.
- Chef of Iron: Zeoticus can cook very well.
- Easily Forgiven: Riser's father forgives him for having Rias break off her engagement.
- Good Parents: He loves Sirzechs and Rias very much, given his and Sirzechs's reactions to Rias as an infant and how much Zeoticus cares for her well-being.
- Happily Married: He is happily married to his wife Venelana.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Lampshaded by Venelana, who tells Issei that Zeoticus should have allowed Rias to pick her fiancé as opposed to choosing one for her, which is what Zeoticus did when he chose Riser. However, he didn't realize Riser's true colors until Volume 2, when he apologizes to Riser's father for having Rias's engagement nullified.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Zeoticus has one of these moments when he realizes that he went too far in forcing his beliefs onto Rias, especially after Issei defeats Riser.
- Nice Guy: He's one of the friendliest devils that you would ever want to meet.
- Only One Name: Was only referred to as Lord Gremory until his first name was revealed in Volume 21.
- Perma-Stubble: His chin has a small red beard.
- Red Is Heroic: Like his children, Zeoticus has red hair.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Ichiei Ishibumi named Zeoticus after Zeon Daikun from Mobile Suit Gundam and Marticus Rex from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.
Venelana Gremory (née Bael)
- Voiced by: Mari Shiraishi (Japanese) and Monica Rial (English)
- Early-Bird Cameo: She makes an appearance (albeit with unspoken lines) in chapter 21 of the manga. She doesn't make her actual appearance until Volume 5 of the novels.
- Generation Xerox: Looks just like her daughter except with shorter brown hair.
- Good Parents: She is a loving mother to Sirzechs and Rias, as well as a grandmother to Millicas Gremory.
- Happily Married: She and Zeoticus are content to live together as devils.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: Venelana's looks can be easily mistaken for Rias's sister.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Her nickname, "Brunette Madame the Extinct", is a very scary name.
- Older Than They Look: Even though she is much older than her daughter, she is still quite a looker.
- Red Baron: She is known to everyone as "Brunette Madame the Extinct."
- Really 700 Years Old: She is over 100 years old, despite looking like a young lady.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships her daughter to Issei.
- Voiced by: Ari Ozawa (Japanese) and Mikaela Krantz (English)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the anime, his eye color is changed to blue to match Rias's eye color.
- Brutal Honesty: Flat-out admitting to Sirzechs that he prefers the Oppai Dragon over Satan Red? Ouch.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair and red eyes.
- Establishing Character Moment: Millicas is introduced reuniting with Rias and introducing himself to the group, before running to his grandmother Venelana afterwards.
- Future Badass: He becomes a Super Devil in the future along with succeding the Gremory House.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Has enough demonic power to give even Issei and Kiba a run for their money. Well, at least until they stopped holding back.
- Royalty Super Power: Inherited his father and aunt's Power of Destruction.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He resembles his father Sirzechs, his grandfather Zeoticus as well as his aunt Rias.
- Someone to Remember Him By: After Sirzechs seals himself to suppress Trihexa, Millicas becomes this to Grayfia.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Gave Xenovia a long lecture on how to use her Ex-Durandal's powers (to Kiba's joy to the point of crying Manly Tears) and is even thinking about which members he wants in his peerage.
- The Wise Prince: Justified since his parents are the rulers of Hell.
- Voiced by: Saori Seto (Japanese), Krishna Smitha (English; 2013-2014) and Megan Shipman (English; 2015-present)
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Always the tsukkomi whenever Sirzechs does something outrageous.
- Cain and Abel: She's the older Abel while her younger brother Euclid is the younger Cain.
- Cool Big Sis: To Rias, the stern type.
- The Comically Serious: Anytime she starts to appear, there will be hilarity. Must be why Issei defers to her greatly.
- Curtains Match the Window: Silver hair and silver eyes.
- Defector from Decadence: After meeting Sirzechs during the conflict between the Old Satan and Anti Satan Factions, Grayfia defects from the Old Satan Faction and eventually marries him.
- The Dreaded: She can make Sirzechs's entire peerage scared just by showing up. One of them happens to be a giant that can breathe fire! Even Sirzechs himself is afraid of getting on her bad side, despite being much more powerful.
- Establishing Character Moment: Her introductory scene is to suddenly appear at Issei's house to lecture Rias for attempting to break off her engagement to Riser. She also helps pick up Rias's clothes for her.
- Foreshadowing: Her In Vino Veritas moment with Issei? The one where she mentions her family? It's going to be one of the main highlights of the 14th Volume, specifically her brother.
- Game Face: When a gigantic Issei tells her that he's got a plan but needs her and the entire servants of Sirzechs's help, she puts this face on.
- Good Parents: She loves Millicas dearly even if she is Sirzechs's wife and Queen of his peerage.
- Gray Eyes: She has gray eyes to match her hair.
- Happily Married: She marries Sirzechs after fighting the Old Satan and Anti Satan Factions.
- House Wife: She's very much the maid of her husband's family.
- In Vino Veritas: In the Hot Springs short story, it is revealed her personality switches under the influence of alcohol, primarily she becomes a bit of a troublemaker.
- Lady of War: She's regarded as Satan-level in power, even considered for the title of Leviathan, and she's much more reserved than the current one.
- Meaningful Name: Her last name, Lucifuge, is taken from Lucifuge Rofocale, a demon who is Lucifer's right-hand man. Given her family history of serving the original Lucifer and her service to Sirzechs, the current Lucifer, it's only natural.
- Meido: She is the Gremory household's maid and wears the appropriate attire for it (a French maid uniform in this case).
- Mystical White Hair: Grayfia sports silver hair.
- Not So Different: Remember when Sirzechs wants to be called "Onii-chan" by Issei and she whacks him with a paper fan? In a Hot Springs Episode, she's alright with Issei calling her "Ane (elder sister)" at private times.
- Not So Stoic: As soon as she becomes Rias's sister, she'll sternly lecture Rias for a very long time. Not to mention, she'll release an aura so powerful, everyone in the room feels like they're going to die.
- Only Sane Woman: Whenever she joins in the antics of the Four Great Satans. And even then, sometimes she's weird seeing as she suggested to Rias to let Issei touch her breasts to power up.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Whips it out whenever Sirzechs says something stupid.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even without her braids, Grayfia's silver hair goes down to her back.
- Red Baron: Combined with Names to Run Away from Really Fast. She is known by everyone as "The Ultimate Queen".
- The Rival: To Serafall back in the day for the title of Leviathan.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Her given name comes from the Japanese names for Glaceon and Leafon.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands at 5'10" according to official material.
- The Stoic: In head-maid mode. Nothing phases her even if Sirzechs does something stupid. Even Issei coming back to life as a giant garnered little more reaction than if he'd just returned home.
- Straight Woman: Pretty much the only normal person in the Gremory household (alongside Venelana) and among the Satan Rangers, to which the others set up the punchline. That is, if she isn't drunk.
- Switching P.O.V.: The light novel only shows us the conversation between Lord Phenex and Lord Gremory after Issei defeats Riser while Sirzechs and Grayfia went away. In the anime, it shows hers and Sirzechs's perspective on the reason why the latter handed out the griffin to Issei and the latter's thoughts on the Welsh Dragon joining the devil group while Grayfia notes that he's happy about it. It probably reminded them of their circumstances back then.
- The Tease: The catch? She has to be drunk.
Sirzechs Lucifer's Peerage
EnkuA Qilin who is Sirzechs's Pawn.
Okita SoujiOne of the founding members of the Shinsengumi who has been reincarnated into Sirzechs's Knight. He is also Kiba's swordsmaster.
- Mr. Exposition: He often explains to his allies about various forms of magic.
- Berserk Button: Really hates it when he's compared to Bahamut.
- Breath Weapon: Could have taken out Jabberwocky if it weren't for its Healing Factor.
- Worf Barrage: As a result.
- Cloning Blues: Is a clone of Surtr.
- I Owe You My Life: After being created, he couldn't control his power so he went on a rampage till Sirzechs calmed him.
- It Was a Gift: He's the one who gives Issei his familiar: a flying ship called the "Skithblathnir".
BeowulfA descendant of Beowulf who became Sirzechs's other Pawn due to him losing against Sirzechs.
- Butt Monkey: He is treated as a lackey by the other members.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Considering he's supposed to be one of the strongest Pawns in the devil society...
Glowing Fish of the Deep Se BahamutSirzechs other Rook who has been mentioned in the afterword of Volume 8.
- The Unseen: So far, aside from comments of the Lucifer group who apparently was more useful than Surtr Second.
Tropes relating to them:
- Animal Motifs: The Phoenix. See Meaningful Name below.
- Playing with Fire: The family can control fire at will.
- Healing Factor: Coupled with Good Thing You Can Heal.
- Meaningful Name: Marqius Phenex in the Ars Goetia is described to have the appearance of the immortal bird, Phoenix, and the Phenex Family share the same motif and abilities as the Phoenix.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Inverted. The original uses the Phenex spelling, keeping with the Ars Goetia motif of the 72 Pillars. Funimation's subtitled and dubbed streams use the Phoenix spelling, which doesn't help much since both words use the same katakana note .
- Then again according to The Other Wiki, Phoenix is an alternative spelling for Phenex.
- Arranged Marriage: He and Rias became engaged because of an agreement between their families, in an attempt to preserve the bloodline of Pure-Blooded Devils.
- Big Bad: He is the main antagonist of Volume 2 (Episodes 6-12 of the anime's first season).
- Break the Haughty: After losing the Engagement Challenge, he comes around to treat the protagonists with more respect. By the time of Issei's "death", he comes around to offer his sincere condolences.
- Character Exaggeration: His Jerkassery in the anime version is exaggerated to the point that his personality is way different when comparing him to his light novel version/manga version.
- Engagement Challenge: He fights Issei during Rias's engagement party in the finale of Volume 2.
- Facial Horror: At the end of Volume 2, Issei uses holy water and his Boosted Gear to burn Riser's face. He gets better.
- Fatal Flaw: His pride ends up causing his defeat at the hands of Issei at the end of Volume 2.
- Foil: Can be considered one for Issei. One is an Ordinary High-School Student while the other is a Born Winner; Issei wants a harem while Raiser already has one; and Issei is deeply respectful of Rias while Riser treats her like a trophy to be won.
- Graceful Loser: He forgives Issei for his actions in cancelling his marriage with Rias, but he won't forgive him if he tries to make any unforgivable moves on his sister.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He sulks in his room after Issei defeats him in his engagement party.
- Immortality: His main strong point is that he can't be killed. As you can imagine that is enough to get through most enemies.
- Jerkass: When he is first introduced in the story, he is a jerk to Issei and makes unwanted advances towards Rias to the point that she challenges him to a Rating Game.
- Oh, Crap!: In the finale of Volume 2, Riser is utterly shocked when Issei burns his face and when Issei is about to deliver the final blow.
- Pet the Dog: Despite the fact that he still acts like a jerk towards Rias and still kissed his servants in front the group, he actually gave a lot of good advice to Rias and told Issei that if Issei is defeated, it is a blow to Rias. Not to mention, he's the one who gave Rias a handicap and told her that their Rating Game will take place in 10 days and tells her that if she wants to do it now, he knows he'll curb-stomp them.
- Playing with Fire: As with most of the Phenex family, he can burn enemies with fire.
- Pride Before a Fall: He starts off as an arrogant jerk who is Rias's fiancé. His arrogance ends up being his undoing by the end of Volume 2, and he begins to respect Issei and his allies after his defeat.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: With Ruval, he is the latter.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: He is named after the 00 Raiser from Gundam 00.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His first name is often translated as either "Raiser" or "Riser", and his last name can be both "Phenex" and "Phoenix".
- Third-Person Person: He speaks in this manner in Funimation's dub of the first season.
- Took a Level in Kindness: He offers his condolences to the Occult Research Club when Issei "died" at the beginning of Volume 12.
- To the Pain: In the anime, he loudly gloats that he can mortally wound Issei during a ratings game to bypass the safeguards and get away scot-free. He seems to have only said it to twist Rias's arm into surrendering. When he has a chance to outright kill Issei during their fight, he announces he'll just put Issei in a coma.
- Training from Hell: He gets subjected to this by Issei and Tannin to do this in the same mountains that Issei trained at.
- Worthy Opponent: He views Issei as this when he is finally healed from his dragon trauma.
Ruval PhenexThe eldest son of the House of Phenex and heir to the house.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: With Riser, he is the former.
Lady PhenexThe mother of the Phenex siblings.
Riser Phenex's Peerage
- Voiced by:Click to Expand
- All Chinese People Know Kung-Fu: Xuelan, the Anime Chinese Girl, is a specialist in kung-fu.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Ile and Nel's "Rip 'em apart! Rip 'em apart!"
- Badass Cape: Yubelluna has one.
- BFS: Siris has a Zweihander, to be exact.
- Boobs of Steel: Yuubelluna has the largest bust of Riser's peerage and manages to curb-stomp Kiba, Koneko, and Akeno in her master's Rating Game. Xuelan also has these.
- Blow You Away/Razor Wind: When Siris swings her sword.
- Boyish Short Hair: Isabela has very short hair.
- Cat Girls: Ni and Li have cat ears.
- Chainsaw Good: Ile and Nel use chainsaws as their preferred weapons.
- Cleavage Window: Siris.
- Cool Mask: Isabela wears one on the right side of her face.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Yubelluna wears a very noticable corset, even in battle.
- Curtains Match the Window: Yubelluna has purple eyes and hair.
- Defeat by Modesty: Ile, Nel and Mira are all defeated by Issei's Dress Break.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Yubelluna's nickname, the "Bomb Queen".
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Isabela.
- Flaming Sword: Karlamine has a flaming daggar.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Ile and Nel wield dual chainsaws.
- Going Commando: Xuelan does not wear any underwear under her outfit.
- Little Bit Beastly: Ni and Li
- Magic Knight: Karlamine, Riser's Knight, specializes in fire magic.
- Meaningful Name: Xuelan's name means "Snow Orchid" in Mandarin.
- Meido: Shuriya and Marion dress up as maids.
- Modesty Shorts: Siris wears shorts under her skirt.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Karlamine wasn't pleased by Riser using his Pawns as Sacrificial Lions, but went along with it anyway.
- Odango Hair: Xuelan has the covered variation.
- Playing with Fire: Xuelan can emit flames from her hands and feet and Karlamine specialises in fire magic.
- Qipao: Siris and Xuelan.
- Sailor Fuku: Ni and Li wear a Stripperiffic version.
- Samurai: In asthetics. Karlamine's armor is a mix of this and a European knight's, and she wields a broadsword instead of a katana.
- Simple Staff: Mira wields a basic staff.
- She-Fu: Xuelan uses Kung Fu-style techniques when fighting.
- She's Got Legs: Xuelan fights using her legs.
- Short Hair With Tails: Ni and Li.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Yubelluna's magic works like this, which gave her her embarrassing nickname.
- Vapor Wear: Xuelan is absolutely naked under her Qipao.
- The Voiceless: The only time we hear Mihae is when she gets pierced by Yuto's enhanced Sword Birth.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: In the manga, Isabela does at her master's engagement party.
- Worthy Opponent: Isabela seems to really think highly of Issei after he defeats her.
Tropes associated with them:
- Undying Loyalty: Very much.
- Voiced by: Yuuichi Nakamura (Japanese) and Marcus D. Stimac (English)
- Badass Normal: All he has is just pure physical power and nothing else seeing as he doesn't have Power of Destruction. And yet he's kicked everybody's ass.
- Badass Teacher: Gets a chance to be a special guest lecturer at the Auros Academy. Also, it is heavily implied that he trained Airi, Asia's daughter to be a formidable Barefisted Monk.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Lacking the Power of Destruction, he instead trained his body and his fists, to the point where every punch is a Megaton Punch.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Easily delivers this to any weak opponents. Including Hercules, where Rossweiss was having a hard time against him at Kyoto, though she was drunk back then.
- Died Standing Up: A non-fatal example: He loses the Rating Game but doesn't even lie down at all.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He makes an appearance at the end of the anime◊ for a few seconds. He doesn't get to appear until three volumes later.
- He also makes an appearance in chapter 21 of the manga, at the same event. See the third panel for yourself.
- Empowered Badass Normal: If he equips the Sacred Gear, Regulus Nemean.
- Full-Name Basis: To everybody except for Rias.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Tells the Gremory group to never give up in believing that Issei will come Back from the Dead seeing as he hasn't had sex with Rias yet. Without the hitting part of course because of the obvious.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Requests from Sirzechs to lift up the rules that restrict the Gremory team so that they can fight at full power.
- Lightning Bruiser: Noted by both Issei and Kiba to be fast, strong and durable. Considering how strong Issei is and how fast Kiba is we can take their word for it.
- Magnetic Hero: According to Sirzechs.
- Megaton Punch: Enough to knock out anybody.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Well, the equivalent of devils, but he still counts.
- No Sell: He can stop Issei in his Trianna Welsh Dragonic Rook form. Not so much when Issei's at Cardinal Crimson Queen.
- Power Limiter: Limits himself to just be able to have a good fight with his opponents. Doesn't matter anyway.
- Self-Made Man: Lost his position in the Bael line of succession due to being born without special powers, and what did he do? Man up and earn everyone's respect the hard way, that's what.
- Shipper on Deck: Much like Sirzechs, he ships Issei/Rias, to the point of even saying that Issei would flat-out refuse to die if he didn't first have sex with her.
- So Proud of You: When his mom finally wakes up from a coma, she says she's proud of him, causing him to shed a Single Tear.
- Training from Hell: Subjected himself to this so he can become stronger.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Issei as this seeing as he's wanting to fight one of the two Heavenly Dragons.
RegulusSairaorg's Pawn. In reality, he is the Sacred Gear "Regulus Nemea", which Sairaorg picked up after its master died.
Kuisha AbaddonSairaorg's Queen from the House of Abaddon, one of the families of the Extra Demons.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivers one to Akeno by repelling her Holy Lightning.
- Is on the receiving end of a brutal one from Issei immediately afterwards.
- Our Wormholes Are Different: Her family's Power of Hole.
Coriana AndrealphusSairaorg's Bishop from the House of Andrealphus.
- Sexy Secretary: Coupled with Sexy Spectacles. She is considered to be attractive.
- Sharp Dressed Woman: She wears nice dresses.
- You Can Leave Your Hat On: Does this to Issei until she gets Megaton Blasted for taking off her panties before her bra, which for Issei is Serious Business.
Misteeta SabnockSairaorg's Bishop from the House of Sabnock.
Liban CrocellSairaorg's Knight from the House of Crocell.
Beruka FurcasSairaorg's Knight from the House of Furcas.
- Cool Horse: The Pale Horse Altobrau which is said to be the most untameable horse in the Underworld.
Gandoma BalamSairaorg's Rook from the House of Balam.
Ladora BuneSairaorg's Bishop from the House of Bune.
Misla Bael (née Vapula)Sairaorg's mother
- So Proud of You: Delivers this to her son after she wakes up from her coma.
Magdaran BaelSairaorg's half-brother who got scorned by his clan (Due to the fact that Sairaorg defeated him). Appears in Volume 21 when the Bael territory was attacked.
- Abusive Parent: Hoo boy he got it large as the source of his early Angst (though this has rectified by the time he makes his appearance). To wit: He was born with his clan's Power of Destruction, but he does not have the exceptional talent like Rias and Sirzechs, so his father subjected him to Training from Hell (literally and figuratively). His family never got along well, and his mother was only in it because she was proud of being married to a head of Bael. Only when Sairaorg talked to him he started to feel a bit better. When it was revealed that his and Sairaorg's father is actually an incompetent Jerkass who only cares about reputation, making it completely justified.
- Nature Hero / Real Men Wear Pink: Magdaran's interest is botany, where he is very knowledgeable, and is capable of cultivating rare plants like rare species of apples and actually revived an extinct species of flower.
Zekram BaelThe first head of the Bael clan.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: While Diodora had blond hair in the original light novel series, his hair is dark green in the anime.
- Affably Evil: Despite being Volume 6's antagonist, he's fairly polite and kind, albeit somewhat obsessed with Asia, until his true colours show following The Reveal.
- Asshole Victim: Did anyone shed a tear when he was wiped out by Shalba?
- Ax-Crazy: Despite not cracking until his Villainous Breakdown, his obvious pleasure at raping and torturing Asia is a sign that he has not got a right mind.
- Big Bad: He is the main antagonist of Volume 6 until Shalba kills him.
- Character Death: He is impaled by Shalba following his defeat at Issei's hands and his body disintegrates.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He appears briefly during Volume 5, only to reappear at the end of the volume and set himself up as the main antagonist of Volume 6. He is also mentioned as a part of Asia's backstory as far back as the first volume.
- Cuckold: Proposes to and attempts to kidnap and rape Asia, incurring the wrath of Issei.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In the end, he is defeated by Issei fairly easily, and is the first villain to go down without the help of the other members of the Occult Research Club.
- Dirty Coward: When the club tries to rescue Asia, he threatens to use her as a Human Shield, before teleporting away snickering.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He may be hard to see among the crowd, but he made a brief cameo in chapter 21 of the manga during Rias and Riser's engagement party.
- Evil Gloating: When the group confront him, he continuously taunts Issei about having kidnapped Asia, eventually crossing one too many lines and causing Issei to reach his Rage Breaking Point by threatening to rape Asia.
- Evil Plan: He had planned to make Asia a part of his harem from the very beginning.
- Fatal Flaw: His arrogance and plot to kidnap and rape Asia ultimately leads to his downfall.
- Faux Affably Evil: In reality, his politeness is a farce. He had planned all along to kidnap and torment Asia, and he is as horrible as they come.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: It gradually becomes obvious - and eventually gets said point-blank by Issei - that the only reason the rest of the Devils put up with his transparent smarmyness is because offing him could cause a civil war.
- Greater Scope Villain: Of Volume 1. He's the one who caused Asia's exile from the church.
- Hate Sink: Everyone resents Diodora for causing Asia's troubled life before meeting Issei.
- Hope Spot: Invoked. He explicitly plans to kill the group in front of Asia just so he can see her lose all hope.
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY: In the English dub of the anime, Diodora's name is pronounced "dee-o-do-ra" instead of the usual "dee-o-da-ra" with a short "a" sound.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Shalba kills him with a light spear.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Diodora is quite sadistic and intends to rape Asia after having her excommunicated from the Church. No one mourns him when Shalba kills him.
- The Man Behind the Man: More or less behind the events of Volume 1 and Asia's excommunication from the church.
- Psychopathic Manchild: He reflects a childish glee when drooling about how he would rape Asia, and when he's being tossed around like a ragdoll, he screams and throws a temper tantrum.
- Red Right Hand: Diodora sports an X-shaped scar on his chest.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: His threat to rape Asia establishes him as one of the most despicable, irredeemably evil villains in the series, and causes Issei to explode in a fit of anger, reaching Balance Breaker. Nobody even cares what happens to him after this, and even Ddraig advises Issei to "go all out, partner".Diodora: (whilst gloating) It may be fun to rape Asia as she calls out your name!
- The Reveal: Two. Firstly, he was the devil who Asia healed while she was still affiliated with the church, and secondly, he had been planning to kidnap Asia all along.
- Sadist: A vicious piece of work, who gets off on making women suffer and being his slaves.
- Smug Snake: His arrogance and ego are through the damn roof. He starts off cocky and smug when he thinks he has the upper hand only to start screaming and proclaiming impotently to be better due to his Blue Blood ties when Issei starts beating his ass into a thin paste.
- The Sociopath: His hobby is forcibly turning nuns into Sex Slaves for nothing more than dominance and fun, he has utterly no empathy for the victims of his actions and cares only about indulging himself and inflicting pain as much as he can.
- Stupid Evil: He just couldn't resist toying with Issei and co when leaving them and Asia alone would have had a far better outcome.
- Taking You with Me: He had a backup plan that accounted for his defeat - a Longinus seal that would devour Asia to ensure that she could never return to Issei and the Occult Research Club.
- Too Dumb to Live: Considering how he shamelessly bragged about what he was going to do to Issei's face and as a result gets a beating that makes Hulk's iconic beating of Loki look like a play fight in comparison, he obviously Didn't Think This Through.
- Villainous Breakdown: He goes into insane hysterics when Issei beats the tar out of him with ease.
- You Have Failed Me: He uses Ophis's snake during his match against Seekvaria and gets defeated by Issei, resulting in his death at Shalba's hands.
- Voiced by: Yuna Yoshino (Japanese) and Jennifer Green (English)
- Meganekko: She wears glasses.
- Ojou: Was groomed from the start to be the next Archduchess, with all the proper education and behavior.
- Otaku: Of the mecha variety. Played for Laughs and very, very justified, as she uses it as a stress relief from the duties of the Agares heiress and it was her father who taught her to be so.
- The Stoic: She has a serious personality. That is, until you tell her that you are building a ''Franchise/Gundam'' model or have a full battalion of mechas, then she will Squee! and become talkative like a little girl in love.
- Voiced by: Taishi Murata (Japanese) and Ian Ferguson (English)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: While his hair color was green in the light novels, it is changed to blue in the anime.
Diehauser BelialThe head of the House of Belial and the number one ranking Rating Game champion. Known as "Emperor" Belial.
- Anti-Magic: How his clan's ability "Worthlessness" works expect it requires him to understand the properties of the ability to render it "worthless".
- The Atoner: No matter how well-intentioned his plans were, he still exposed himself to the public that he did help out Rizevim for Agreas and kidnapping both Riser and Ravel during the Rating Game.
- Badass In Charge: It is revealed in EX that he became one of the Great Satans (which, in the story, is increased from four to seven as it has been proposed by Sirzechs and co.
- The Champion: He is the King of the Rating Games.
- Face Heel Revolving Door: Diehauser sides with Rizevim, but the former wants to uncover the corruption of the Rating Games.
- Good All Along: Like Crom Cruach, he was merely using Qlippoth for his own goals and also to uncover the corruption of the Rating Games.
- Mr. Fanservice: The moment his face was revealed, he became this.
- The Plan: After finding out who was responsible for killing her cousin, he then sets out a plan to expose the crimes of the illegal activities in the Rating Game. Then he got close to the guy who exposed all this, Rizevim, just to take him out. He does this by having a Rating Game with Riser to find out how to make the phoenix tears worthless, and then use it on Rizevim's phoenix tears.
- Red Baron: He is referred to as "The Emperor".
- Stealth Mentor: When he fights Issei, this is what Issei thought of him as since Belial clearly held back against him.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: No shirt, just a long jacket◊ and he doesn't even cover it.
- Walking Spoiler: Specifically the part about he's The Mole for Rizevim. And the part where he's actually a Reverse Mole.
- The Worf Effect: Just to show how dangerous Jabberwocky was, he and his team threw out their strongest attacks but they still couldn't get through his instant regeneration. Although considering the recent reveals He may have been holding back.
Roygun BelphegorSecond ranker of the Rating Game and the head of the extra house of Belphegor, she appears in Volume 21 to help the heroes fight the old devils' rebellion.
- The Atoner: Plans to give herself in after the exposure of Rating Game corruption, but given that her clan name are listed as one of the new titles in the proposal of the new Seven Satan system, she will likely be pardoned or just be given a light sentence because she never intended to be a part of the old Devils' machinations.
- Big Damn Heroes: Averted. By the time she appears, Bedeze Abaddon was already finished by Saji and Sairaorg.
- Horny Devils: In a literal sense. Roygun has two horns protruding from her head, which is a characteristic of the house of Belphegor.
- Lady of War: She is considered to be one of the powerful women in the Underworld along with Serafall and Grayfia.
- Ms. Fanservice: From Magdaran's perspective.
- Older Than They Look: She looks like in her early twenties but is at least as older as Diehauser.
- Red Is Heroic: Has wavy, cherry-coloured hair and helps our heroes in extinguishing the old devils' rebellion.
Cousin of Diehauser, the former governor of Kuoh town before Rias, and Masaomi Yaegaki's devil lover. Already dead by the time the story starts.
- Cassandra Truth: She told Diehauser about the rumored "King" piece but he thought it was just nothing but rumors. Unfortunately, by the time he finally figured out it actually exists, she's already dead.
- Character Death: She dies along with Masaomi after the former found out what the illegal "King" piece can do.
- Death by Origin Story: Cleria dies because she knew too much about the "King" piece.
- Posthumous Character: Long dead before the series starts.
- The Reveal: Her knowledge of the illegal "King" piece which allows to make the kings stronger in Rating Games. Diehauser never used it because he was too powerful. However, everybody else in the top rankings did.
- She Knows Too Much: Her love for gossips, unfortunately, was the reason why the old devils decided to have her dead.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She gets together with Yaegaki, but eventually meets her end.
- Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara (Japanese) and Milly Prower (English)