Characters: High School D×D - Dragons
The Dragons featured in High School D×D
Other Character Pages:
Tropes relating to all of them:
- Achilles' Heel: The only things that can kill dragons are dragon-slaying equipment like Issei's Ascalon or Samael the Dragon Eater. Issei found that out the hard way.
- Ax-Crazy: The evil dragons. So much that Grendel and Azi Dahaka fought against each other just to figure out who's going up against the Vali team.
- Chaotic Neutral: According to Ddraig, in the past, most dragons just lived freely to their hearts content. These days, it depends on the dragon.
- One-Gender Race: Dragons are said to have no gender in this story. That's weird, since in the short story where Asia gets her familiar, bay dragon Rassei was told to be a boy and Dragon King Tiamat, the only female of that rank; the only one specified to have no gender is Ophis, because of its unique trait as Infinite.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The most powerful race in the story are dragons themselves.
open/close all folders
Welsh Dragon Ddraig
One of the two Heavenly Dragons who got sealed thanks to them fighting off the other three factions. He is the dragon who is residing with Issei as the Longinus "Boosted Gear", and thus has to put up with all of Issei's perverted antics.
- But Now I Must Go: Tells Issei that he's losing consciousness because of him using up his powers in trying to maintain Issei's soul while Great Red and Ophis are creating his new body. Issei then sheds a lot of tears till he hears Ddraig snoring.
- Cassandra Truth: He did hear the voice of the Breast Fairy when Issei accidentally summoned it instead of being able to talk to Akeno's breasts with Bilingual. Everyone just thinks Ddraig lost it.
- Cosmic Plaything/Butt Monkey: Doesn't appreciate it when he gets called by both Ophis and Great Red as the Oppai Dragon.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Oppai Dragon (Breast Dragon) and the Breast Dragon Emperor, which often leads him into a...
- Heroic BSOD: Played for laughs whenever someone mentions Issei as Oppai Dragon. It get's to the point that it actually makes him clinically depressed and requires medication.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Consider's Issei to be one of his true friends seeing as his former hosts never really talked much with him.
- Meaningful Name: Ddraig is part of the Welsh phrase Y Ddraig Goch, meaning "Red Dragon". It also appears on the flag of Wales.
- Mood Dissonance: Tells Issei that it was fun being with him and it actually looks like he's about to say his last words to his partner. Issei couldn't even control his tears at his closest partner disappearing from him until Issei hears Ddraig snoring.
- Red Baron: Known as the Welsh Dragon and the Red Dragon Emperor.
- The Rival: Him and Albion have been going at it for centuries.
- Forever War: The two have basically forgotten what the fight was originally about.
- Tender Tears: Cried after Issei died.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Him and Issei in a nutshell.
- Undying Loyalty: When Euclid Lucifuge offered him a more powerful host by joining him, Ddraig quickly rejected his offer, saying that he wants to remain with Issei despite gaining the Oppai Dragon nickname and being the weakest of his past hosts, because he's a better host than all the others.
Vanishing Dragon Albion
One of the two Heavenly Dragons who got sealed thanks to them fighting off the other three factions. He is the dragon who is residing with Vali in the form of the Longinus "Divine Dividing".
- Embarrassing Nickname: Odin calls him the Butt Dragon Emperor after Vali reveals his fetish for women's butts in Volume 7.
- Heroic BSOD: Played for Laughs seeing as his main rival is now known as the Breast Dragon Emperor, which hurts his pride. Also gets called the Butt Dragon Emperor thanks to Vali revealing his fetish.
- In-Series Nickname: Ddraig calls him the "White guy".
- Meaningful Name: His name is the ancient Greek name for Great Britain. The word was used also by some romans (instead of the official Britannia) and so it's sometimes confused as a derivation of "albus", that means "white"..
- Power Gives You Wings: What his Sacred Gear form, Divine Dividing, looks like.
- Red Baron: Known as the Vanishing Dragon and the White Dragon Emperor.
- The Rival: Him and Ddraig have been going at it for centuries.
- Forever War: The two have basically forgotten what the fight was originally about.
Blaze Meteor Dragon Tannin (The Queen)
One of the former Dragon Kings who turned himself into a devil to get a piece of land in the underworld for his fellow dragon-kind to live in. He's also one of Issei's mentors in fighting. One of the few reborn devils to reach Ultimate Class, he is Issei's inspiration. Has been Top 10 in the Rating Game for decades. It is revealed in Volume 14 that he is Mephisto Pheles' Queen.
Prison Dragon Vritra
The evil black dragon who, after being vanquished by Indra, had his soul split into pieces. One of them is Saji's Sacred Gear.
- Bystander Syndrome: If it doesn't involve him, he wouldn't bother about almost anything.
- Weak, but Skilled: Considered as the weakest of the five Dragon Kings, but has a wide array of skills to make up for it.
Chaos Karma Dragon Tiamat
The only female Dragon King out of the five Dragon Kings in the story. According to Ddraig, she hates him.
Gigantis Dragon Fafnir
One of the five Dragon Kings in the story, he's sealed inside Azazel's artificial Sacred Gear, Down Fall Dragon Spear. In Volume 14, he makes a pact with Asia.
- Dirty Old Man: Considering the other dragons aren't even perverted in nature, he stands out.
- Power at a Price: To even have a pact with him, he just wants a treasure. Azazel had it easy because Fafnir just wanted a rare treasure. For Asia though, it's her treasured panties.
- The Unseen: That is, until Volume 14.
Sleeping Dragon Midgardsormr
One of the five Dragon Kings, he's made by Loki and is currently sleeping at the ocean near Scandinavia. He's also the laziest dragon.
Mischievous Dragon Yu-Long
The youngest of the five Dragon Kings in the story, he also accompanies the original Sun Wukong whenever the latter gets sent by Indra to somewhere. Also featured in Journey to the West
Dragon God and True Dragon
Ouroboros Dragon Ophis Formerly
The strongest dragon of the dragon race and quite possibly the most powerful character in the story. He/she/it
first appeared as an old man, and then changed its appearance to a young girl. Ophis' wish is to go to the dimension where Great Red decides and kick him out of there.
- Animal Eyes
- Batman Gambit: When Samael drained her powers, she actually sent out snakes that contained her power just in case, so she didn't really have 75% of her powers drained out of her.
- Brutal Honesty: How she describes the Occult Research Club to a staff of the department store so she can page them throughout the entire store.
- Cherry Tapping: When Issei wakes up in his spirit form, he sees Ophis tapping the ground. When asked, all she said was "I'm defeating Great Red here." Yes, it's a mix of funny and adorable.
- The Comically Serious: "Did you want to become the Oppai Dragon instead of the Heavenly Dragon Ddraig?" which sends Ddraig into his Heroic BSOD.
- Hell, anytime she's on-screen, it will be a mix of both hilarious and adorable.
- Dark Is Not Evil: At least Issei thinks so.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Hangs out at Issei's place in Volume 11.
- Gothic Lolita: Its current form since according to Azazel, last time Ophis appeared was in the form of an old man.
- Immortal Immaturity: Probably because she didn't have friends for thousands of years.
- Implacable Man: Gets stabbed by Cao Cao using True Longinus, and she doesn't even flinch at all.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Issei.
- Legal Jailbait: Her current form. Hell, she has two black tapes that are cross-shaped attached to her nipples.
- The Load: Volume 11 is pretty much her not being able to do anything at all and is a burden to the entire group.
- This is actually justified, as losing some of her power, she was unstable. When she attacked the Grim Reapers, she accidently blew up Azazel. Also, she is effectively invincible, so she doesn't really understand the necessity of self-defense.
- Meaningful Name: Ophis is the Greek word for "Snake", referring to her abilities
- Moment Killer: Dammit Ophis! Just when Issei and Ravel had a good time at the bath.
- Mystical Waif
- Nerf: Fans think that she'll be replacing Ddraig because she has 75% of her powers drained from her.
- Subverted about the replacing Ddraig part. She's now part of Issei's harem.
- No Sell: Does this to Cao Cao and the freaking True Longinus.
- Only Friend: Considers Issei as its one and only true friend.
- Pointed Ears
- Puppet King: S/he is considered as the overall leader of Khaos Brigade, but the ones below her are the ones who are truly running the group.
- Really 700 Years Old: Has been around since the beginning of time.
- Red Baron: The Infinite One and the Infinite Dragon God.
- Redemption Demotion: As soon as she finally joined Issei's group, almost all of her power was drained (most of it swallowed by Samael, and then had to create Issei's body alongside Great Red).
- The Rival: Great Red
- Story Breaker Power: Even if she got hit with the Nerf stick, she's still twice more powerful than Issei is, which is why she's not out fighting alongside him.
- Throw It In: Word of God states that she wasn't supposed to join the Occult Research Club but after seeing her, he and his editor decided to go ahead and let Ophis join the group.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: S/he's capable of shifting from one form to another. As noted by Azazel, form for Ophis is just simply a decoration.
- Worf Effect: For someone to be the Infinite One, it sure loves to be a Distressed Damsel seeing as it got captured by both Samael and Shalba. Justified because she only has one thing in mind: kick Great Red out of the Dimensional Gap.
Apocalypse Dragon Great Red
The only one who can rival Ophis and is currently residing in the Dimensional Gap. Ophis' wish is to kick him out of there while Vali wishes he could fight him. He also represents dreams.
Crescent Circle Dragon Crom Cruach
- Back from the Dead: Averted. Unlike the other Evil Dragons Crom Cruach has never died and thus has not been modified by the Sephiroth Graal.
- Badass: Anyone who can stall a True Queen Trianna Issei and a Balance Breaker Vali for ten minutes at the same time deserves this.
- Break the Badass: This guy can make Grendel back down from a fight.
- Took a Level in Badass: He's stated to have been training his body and mind in both the Human World and the Underworld for the time that Ddraig and Albion have been sealed. When Ddraig finally meets him again he states that he may have even attained strength to that of the Heavenly Dragons.
- Comically Missing the Point: He seriously has no idea why Fafnir would want Asia's school swimsuit. He even thought that Fafnir was going to swim.
- Made of Iron: He can tank Issei's Ascalon boosted Crimson Blaster attack with only minimal damage. What makes this so remarkable is that unlike Grendel he has never been modified to be immune to Dragon Slayers.
- Mark of the Supernatural: In his human form he has a mixture of black and blonde hair with black and gold eyes.
- Red Baron: Crescent Circle Dragon or Darkness Dragon.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He has the ability to shapeshift from his dragon form to his human form at will.
Crime Force Dragon Grendel
One of the evil dragons, he was killed by Beowulf before the start of the story. He first appears in Volume 14, fully revived.
- Back from the Dead
- Badass: Took a punch from Issei who's in incomplete-True Queen Trianna and boosted his Ascalon's power and still stood up like nothing happened.
- Blood Knight: Really loves fighting way too much.
- Breath Weapon: Well, he's a dragon, of course he can breath fire.
- I Lied: He told Issei that it was going to be a duel between the two of them. Then he shot out three fireballs at the other team. Issei calls him out, which he claims that he really wants to kill someone just to satisfy himself.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Invoked and subverted. See I Lied trope above.
- Lightning Bruiser: Even if he's a tall dragon, he moves pretty quick. Even a CCD equipped Issei is having a hard time against him.
- Made of Iron: Even for a Dragon he's known to be able to tank insane amounts of damage so much that Rossweisse suspects that his defense has been further enhanced since his resurrection. He's been shown shrug off attacks from Xenovia's Ex-Durandal, an Ascalon boosted CCD Issei, and even Kiba's Demonic Emperor Gram.
- Too Kinky to Torture: He loves pain.
Diabolism Thousand Dragon Azi Dahaka
- Lightning Bruiser: Considered by Kuroka as the strongest enemy they've fought. Given they already fought a god with his wolves that can kill a god alongside the Gremory team and Tanin included, the scale just went off the charts.
Eclipse Dragon Apophis
One of the evil dragons who was resurrected to be used by Qlippoth.