Characters from Hellsinker. Unmarked spoilers below.
open/close all folders
One of the three oldest Executors currently employed by the Graveyard. Although his abilities are about average, his experience and skill makes one of the most likely to be called in when exploring the unknown. Due to his low power, many are bewildered as to how he has always managed to get back from every mission in one piece. It is often joked about that he really is dead but lying about being alive, hence his nickname Deadliar.His playstyle focuses on single precision strikes using his Linear Blades as well as careful positioning of his Misteltoe partner Togari-maru. He also has a special ability called Narrow Pierce that allows his normal shots to pierce his enemies. His discharge is Carnage Raid.
- The Ageless
- Armor-Piercing Attack: His Narrow Pierce shots that are activated by mashing the fire button.
- Black Box: His previous nickname, but he is also true to the spirit of the trope.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: His Linear Blades.
- Dead All Along: Not really, but many others believe that he's really this and lying about being alive.
- Deadpan Snarker
- The One Guy: If you don't count Minogame (who is a hermaphrodite, but referred to with male pronouns), he's the only character in the playable roster who is male.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: On paper his name is supposed to be Tsumura Akihiro but many doubt that it's his real name.
- Razor Wind
- The Red Baron: He was called Blackbox at first, but people later called him Deadliar cause of his uncanny ability of always getting back in one piece despite his power being average at best.
- The Stoic: A reason for his first nickname "Blackbox" was because it was impossible to tell how he worked or thought.
- Trapped Behind Enemy Lines: Was part of the first mission to the Cardinal Shaft and almost reached the core but the mission failed and he was trapped. Not until six months later when the second expedition arrived did an opportunity arise where he could escape. How he managed to survive those six months is anyone's guess.
One of the earlier Misteltoe models. Despite that she has been constantly upgraded in order to keep her on par with newer versions. Having clocked over 50000 workhours with Deadliar, she is unlikely to accept a new master. At times it seems as she is the one commanding Deadliar instead of the intended command setup. Has gained a somewhat sharp tounge over the years thanks to Deadliar's influence.
- Blood Knight: Shows definite traits of this.
- Deadpan Snarker: Apparently got this trait from Deadliar.
- Fastball Special: Often literally thrown into combat by Deadliar.
- Fiery Redhead
A girl who grew up in the slums of a huge ten level metropolis. Due to all the filth and pollution, her senses are extremely weak and the world is simply a muddled gray to her. She's also always seen wearing an oversized grey coat due to her having problems with her body temperature. Was later unknowingly used as a guinea pig in an experiment to test human to Misteltoe symbiosis. She was noted for having surprisingly high compatibility and she could finally see, feel, and smell for the first time in what felt like an eternity. Her relationship with Saraga-maru is one of deep dependence and symbiosis, and they are now inseperable.Her playstyle focuses on high damage to single targets at close range as well as area denial using Saraga-maru. In other words, a straight-up danmaku shooter with a few notable exceptions. She is also able to use the Bacillus Cloak which grants her invulnerability for its duration. Her discharge is Curtain-Riser.
- Braids of Action
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Handicapped Badass: Suffers from several lost senses, most notably her sight, but thanks to her Synchronization with Saraga-maru she is able to both see and feel.
- Heroic Mime: Like Kagura, she has no in-game dialogue.
- Homing Lasers: Can shoot them with two rapid taps of the fire button when the Luna gauge is maxed out.
- Laser Blade: Uses Saraga-maru as one.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Even more so than Deadliar.
- Rapunzel Hair: Although braided.
- Sense Loss Sadness: Suffered from this before meeting Saraga-maru.
- Synchronization: With Saraga-maru.
A special type of experimental Misteltoe used in tests regarding symbiosis with humans. However, the results were unsatisfactory. She was about to be repurposed for medical use, but there was a problem with this in that she had managed to synchronize with a human. However, the problem was solved when the human child made an unexpected proposition to become an Executor. Unlike most other Misteltoes, her personality is warm and cheerful, but it's unknown whether or not her partner has anything to do with this.
An artificial, immortal god-like being created by an unnamed organization and worshiped as an actual god by said organization. He was confiscated by the Graveyard after a group led by Deadliar raided their headquarters. To him, manipulation of Sol and Luna is as natural as breathing. While capable of being mounted with a Misteltoe, it will generally exert extreme stress on them. The most notable case is when he tried to mount with Kagura, where the resulting backlash caused such severe damage to her that she was forced to be put in the armor of an Elder Misteltoe. He has refused any Misteltoe since then.Minogame is a wide area nuker, specialising at dealing heavy damage to multiple targets. He also focuses on comboing his attacks with each other to generate even more damage. His discharge is Azure Lotus.
- The Ageless
- Artificial Human
- Badass Normal: He's so powerful that he doesn't need a Mistletoe to fight, not that he can equip one without destroying the Mistletoe anyways.
- Brought Down to Badass: Those power limiters has weakened him severly, but that doesn't stop him from kicking ass and having some of the greatest damage potential in the game despite that fact.
- Combos: A central part of his playstyle is to use many of his moves in tandem with each other in order to maximize his damage potential.
- Duality Motif: Rife with it. The most obvious are his eyes with one brown and one blue. Add to that that he is a hermaphrodite and to constant mentions of his ability to manipulate both Sol and Luna.
- Hermaphrodite: But always referred to as male.
- Homing Lasers: "Reality Hedge" and its stronger version "Revolving Theater - Hell".
- Meaningful Name: Minogame (蓑亀) is, in Japanese mythology, a symbol for wisdom and long life, further cementing his status as a kind of god.
- Nice Hat
- Otherworldly and Sexually Ambiguous
- Power Incontinence: The reason why Minogame doesn't have a Misteltoe partner. Minogame is so powerful that, when mounted with a Misteltoe, Minogame empowers the Misteltoe instead of vice versa, causing severe stress for the Misteltoe and possibly even damaging them.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Restraining Bolt: Was fitted with power restraints soon after being captured, but is still extremely powerful.
- Smart Bomb: While he has one like all other characters, he also has the Nimbus Cluster subweapon, which bears the properties of a typical shoot-em-up bomb: It's an Area of Effect attack that grants him invincibility during its duration.
- Smug Super: Despite the calm exterior, he is known to show off given the chance.
Perhaps the oldest Misteltoe currently in service. She is used mostly as a test platform for various weapon systems, since she required too much regulation from the Executor in order to be used effectively. Even Deadliar gave up eventually. She suffered a severe accident when trying to mount with Minogame and was put in the armor of an Elder Misteltoe to save her life. Due to the way most see the Elder Misteltoes, she ends up instilling fear in those around her. She is currently the only Misteltoe flying solo missions.Kagura is unusual in that she has four configurations which she can use, giving her high versatility:
- Moon Cradle: A long range, precision style focused mainly on dealing sustained damage over a long distance. Possesses a guided laser able to hit enemies outside of her normal reach. The discharge acts more as a shield than as a damage tool.
- Ecliptic Chariot: A style focusing on a mobile turret and is therefore able to fire from two locations at once. The discharge deals little damage but lasts for a very long time and therefore grants limited invulnerability.
- Infernal Sabbath: A very simple style able to change the spread of its fire to almost 180 degrees. Also possesses the ability to generate two large red spheres at each side of Kagura that are able to ignore unit collision. The discharge behaves very similarly to Fossil Maiden's discharge.
- Xanthez: A very unorthodox style using a mix of short range swipes and a high powered but limited normal shot that homes in on nearby enemies. The discharge is a powerful laser that deals immense damage but doesn't last very long.
- Attack Drone: The Ecliptic Chariot's armor serves as this; it can be launched out to another spot on the screen, where it will continue firing while detached from her. Alternatively, Kagura can forgo her firing to make the armor shoot continously in three directions.
- Crutch Character: Infernal Sabbath is great for beginners due to its simplicity, but is also one of the worst scoring characters.
- Emergency Transformation: Was put in the armor of an Elder Misteltoe after the accident with Minogame.
- Emergency Weapon: While using Xanthez, if her Luna runs out, her main weapon is reduced to two streams of bullets unless she stops firing and allows her Luna to refill.
- Face of a Thug: Her armor is quite intimidating to many around her.
- Gatling Good: Xanthez.
- Powered Armor: Wears the armor of an Elder Misteltoe.
- The Red Mage: Her strength lies in her sheer versatility.
- The Speechless: An accident when trying to mount with Minogame left her extremely damaged, losing her voice in the process. Her armor isn't equipped with proper hands, so her handwriting is also bad.
- Spread Shot: The Infernal Sabbath has no subweapon, but in exchange the spread of its main shot can be adjusted.
- Super Prototype
- The Turret Master: Epileptic Chariot turns Kagura into this.
- Wave Motion Gun: The discharge of Xanthez acts like this, having the shortest duration but the higest damage of any discharge in the game.
The Prayers and Cardinal Shaft
Quiet MinstrelThe Segment 1 Behind boss. A twin-nosed Prayer that guards the outskirts of the Old War Relics.
- Invincible Minor Minion: Destroying its drones in its last phase spawns a new batch of drones that can't be destroyed.
- Warm-Up Boss: By far the easiest boss in the game.
- Weaponized Exhaust: Its two noses fire blue beams that give off the impression of this.
Scarlet QueenThe Segment 2 Lead boss.
- 1-Up: Drops one if you unlock her Spirit Kernel and then destroy it.
- One-Winged Angel: Her Spirit Kernel form, unlocked by meeting certain conditions.
- Prepare to Die: In Creepy Monotone if you unlock her Spirit Kernel form.You will die here!
- Rush Boss: Her Spirit Kernel form. Can be killed within its 15-second time limit, but it also hits hard.
- Songs in the Key of Panic: Her theme during her Spirit Kernel form is a very fast arrangement of the Segment 1-2 boss theme.
- Wave Motion Gun: Two of them on her frontal appendages.
Glorious SymbolThe Segment 2 Behind boss.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Difficult to hit and often traps the player.
Sunken BishopThe Segment 3 Behind boss. Guards the skies surrounding Cardinal Shaft and attacks with lasers while using its arms to trap its target.
- Death from Above: In Segment 3 Lead, it doesn't appear proper, but will try to shoot you down from above.
Rusted DragonA massive dragon in the Garden Sewage System, and the boss of Segment 4.
- 1-Up: Drops one if you kill it without destroying both of its wings.
- Breath Weapon
- Skippable Boss: If you've already gone to the Shrine of Farewell, he doesn't show up.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: For many players, it's the first boss to pose a serious challenge. It's difficult enough that in Short Mission, its stage is rated higher than Segment 5.
Perpetual CalendarAn enormous Prayer found in the old archives of Segment 5. Its main function is to revive fallen Prayers.
- Boss Bonanza: Tosses four other bosses at you between its (first) five forms.
- One-Winged Angel: Destroy its attack pods in its final form before time runs out or you deplete its health, and you unlock its Kaleidoscope form.
- Respawn Point: Functions as this for the prayers.
- Resurrective Immortality: Even if destroyed, it will be back up and running in 2 to 3 days.
Apostles of the Seed, Dusk and DawnA duo of Prayers in Segment 6 that guards The Key and the entrance to the Irreversible Lane. It's unknown whether they control The Key or if The Key is controlling them.
- Battle Aura: When their aura shows up they get greatly boosted defenses.
- Call Back: Their theme is the stage 1-3 boss theme of Radio Zonde. In addition, they have many attacks that resemble those of Radio Zonde's protagonists.
- Combination Attack: If both are alive when their total health reaches a certain point, then they will combine their forces and attack the player both at once.
- Deflector Shields: They are sometimes surrounded by a halo that greatly increases their defensive power.
- Dual Boss
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Dawn is the red and Dusk is the blue.
Rex CavalierA powerful Prayer that acts as a sort of commander for the Prayers. It possesses two forms for different uses. The first and most commonly seen is a fast-moving aerial vehicle that acts as a frontline commander, seen in Segment 1 Lead. Its second form is a hulking giant knight mecha found in the Irreversible Lane in Segment 7.
- 1-Up: Drops one if you destroy his armored form and then time out its secret form.
- Boss Banter: Actually has two kinds of it, during its Spirit Kernel form. The first is the Engrish below its Life Meter. The other is the blue text in Japanese (or proper English in the gensokyo.org English patch) that appears if you are playing and have in-game dialogue enabled, or watching a replay with dialogue set to "At Replaying".
- Humongous Mecha
- Jousting Lance: Dual Wields them in its Segment 7 form.
- Large and in Charge
- Mind Rape / Nonstandard Game Over: Its "Spirit Overload" attack that succeeds if you time it out in Segment 7 while you're on your last life.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous
- Prepare to Die: Shares the "You will die here!" clip that the Scarlet Queen and the Shrine of Farewell Bonus Boss also use.
- Time-Limit Boss: Inverted at first, then played straight with the Spirit Kernel form. If you don't defeat it in time, and you have only one life left, see Mind Rape above.
Unnamed 290 / Kaleidoscope / Floccinaucinihilipilification / GarlandThe Karma compressor system as well as the core of the Cardinal Shaft. It's breakdown in ages past where the reason for the worlds current state.
- Data Crystal: In it's inactive state it is shown as a giant crystal matrix surrounded by a massive ring.
- Final Boss: Unnamed 290 forms the base and then depending on performance you get to face one of three different bosses. Of them, only Garland leads to the True Final Boss.
- Hold the Line / Timed Mission: A strange mix of both. The battle against Garland only ends when time runs out / the music ends, but you must fill up its Life Meter before the time runs out or you get no ending or True Final Boss.
- Interface Screw: The battle with Garland causes the background to take over the entire screen, including both sides of the HUD.
- Life Meter: Inverted. Garland starts with an empty meter that must be filled up by shooting it.
- Sinister Geometry: During the fight with it, it switches back and forth between various geometrical shapes.
The True Final Boss (SPOILERS)
Lost Property 771 / Amber / The Unnamed 771A stray cat found by Deadliar that he nicknames Amber after its yellow eyes.
- 1-Up: Drops THREE Revive tokens as The Unnamed 771: At the beginning of her first encounter, when she leaves, and when she comes back later in the stage.
- As Lost Property 771, the first thing that happens is that all on-screen enemy Mistletoes turn into Life Tokens—so many, in fact, that you can easily hit Immortal status regardless of your Way of Life.
- Bonus Boss: You encounter her in the second extra stage, "The Way of All Flesh".
- Hold the Line: Cannot be destroyed in either form. You have to time it out.
- Humanity Ensues
- Interface Screw: When you fight her after Garland, the screen's colors become inverted.
- Intrigued by Humanity: In fact, it is so intrigued that it wants to become human itself.
- Scoring Points: As The Unnamed 771, it has a strange variant of this. Shooting it increases the "Voltage" counter, which affects how fast the "Count" counter increases, and not shooting it causes the Voltage to decrease. When 771 leaves its current phase, you get Spirits equal to number shown on the Count counter when it leaves.
- Spell My Name with a "The": Of all the "Unnamed XXX" enemies in the game, her Unnamed form is the only Unnamed enemy to be prefixed with a "The".
- True Final Boss: Unlocked in the main campaign or its abridged version if you unlock Garland, the level 3 Final Boss, and fill up its Life Meter by shooting it.
- Woman in White: In her human form.