Characters who have appeared in the original SNES/Super Famicom Harvest Moon
The protagonist of the story. He's a young man who takes over his grandfather's old farm after his death.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Early Installment Weirdness: Future characters who use his design typically have Brown Eyes, a blue hat (though his sprite shows it as blue), and their handkerchief the other way around.
- Farm Boy: You become one after your grandfather's death. In the Bad End you end up quitting though.
- Heroic Mime: There are some lines in the game implied to be from Pete but it's all internal.
- Nice Hat: You never take it off
Ann is a young girl who loves working with tools. Her father runs the tool shop.
Nina and her mother operate the flower shop on the northeast side of town.
Ellen lives at the bakery in town. You first meet her on your second day at work, when the stray dog enters your farm. Her father is the local drunk, much to her shame and frustration.
Maria is the daughter of the Mayor. She is usually seen at the church playing on the organ.
The local bartender.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Or as close as the series will ever get
- Lie Back and Think of England: She has intimacy issues; her affection for you will drop if you go to bed with her, while other girls' affection will go up in the same situation.
- Stepford Smiler: Type A in Magical Melody. Though she's always seems to be smiling when you see her, in the bonfire event, she brings up the subject of dying.
A local kid who is typically by the church—-
The local florist.
- Eyes Always Shut: At least it looks like it. Her redesign in Magical Melody is this way.
- No Name Given: In the original title at least. In Magical Melody her name is given as "Liz".
- Romancing the Widow: She has a romance with Ann's father, who is a widower himself. If you marry Ann they get married.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Nina seems to have gotten her looks from her moms side.
- Widow Woman: Her husband died. At least one day you can find her mourning by a grave.