- Harvest Moon: The original SNES game
- Harvest Moon Game Boy: The Game Boy/Game Boy Color series (Harvest Moon 3)
- Harvest Moon 64: Harvest Moon 64
- Harvest Moon: Mineral Town: Back to Nature, and Friends of Mineral Town
- Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life: A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life and AWL: Special Edition
- Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland: Save the Homeland and Hero of Leaf Valley
- Harvest Moon: Magical Melody: Magical Melody
- Harvest Moon DS: Harvest Moon DS and DS Cute
- Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility: Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade
- Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar
- Harvest Moon My Little Shop
- Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns
- Harvest Moon: A New Beginning: A New Beginning
- Story of Seasons: Story of Seasons
Mark and ChelseaThe game's male and female main characters, respectively. Playing as Mark makes Chelsea a marriage candidate, and vice-versa.
- An Economy Is You: To the point where all the island's development is either paid for or spurred on by them.
- Anime Hair: Mark.
- The Chosen One: In SI, the sprites choose them to gather the Sunstones.
- Everyman: Unlike other characters, who have specific likes and dislikes, neither Mark nor Chelsea has anything they explicitly love or hate.
- Expy: Mark is a blond Pete while Chelsea is Sara with long, red hair.
- Green Eyes: Mark.
- Heroic Mime: Most of the time, when controlled by the player. But, when you play as either of them, the other will arrive on the island eventually as a speaking marriage candidate. Averted in Frantic Farming, where both characters are quite chatty.
- Mythology Gag: Chelsea wears Sara's clothing.
- Nice Hat: Mark. Chelsea has a Nice Bandana.
- Official Couple: Or as official as it gets in this series.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: Except for the love interests.
- Spear / Distaff Counterpart: To each other.
open/close all folders
Bachelors and Bachelorettes
NatalieGranddaughter of Taro, the island village's mayor. Likes to pick on her older brother Elliott. If playing as Chelsea, she's your rival for Pierre.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Defrosting Ice Queen: In her actual interactions with the player.
- Fiery Redhead
- Meaningful Name: The name "Natalie" is a short form of Natalya, and your rival for her is a guy named Pierre. Sounds familiar...
- Not a Morning Person: Will complain about it being too early if you talk to her in the morning.
- Official Couple: If you don't marry her, she will end up with Pierre.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Elliot.
- Skirt over Slacks
- Tell Me About My Father: Asks her mother this in one event. She's disappointed to hear he was just like Elliot.
- Tomboy: Though this is only really shown in her dialogs after typhoons or blizzards and Elliot's dialog about her (if playing as Chelsea).
JuliaMirabelle's daughter. She likes animals, and always tries her best to help out her mother. If playing as Chelsea, she's your rival for Elliot.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Girl Next Door
- Lethal Chef: Though we only have Mirabelle's word for it. Frantic Farming triples this by having Elliot, Vaughn and Denny eating her food and secretly hating it.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her chest and booty shorts really work for her.
- Official Couple: If you don't marry her, she ends up with Elliot.
LannaA pop starlet who moves onto the island to find good fishing spots. Becomes drawn to Denny, since he's a fisherman by trade. If playing as Chelsea, she's your rival for Denny.
- Birds of a Feather: With Denny, for sharing the same interests.
- The Cutie
- Dub Name Change: She is known as "Lilly" in Japan.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Hair Decorations
- Hime Cut: Visually she is spot-on with the long and straight hair, sidelocks and even bangs. As far as character traits go, it's mostly to serve as a feminine style.
- Idol Singer
- Official Couple: With Denny, if you don't marry her.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Say It with Hearts
SabrinaDaughter of mining mogul Regis, works as his accountant. Dreams of being a writer. If playing as Chelsea, she's your rival for Vaughn.
- Brainy Brunette
- Expy: Of Mary/Maria. Lampshaded when Karen and Popuri mistake her for their friend.
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Official Couple: With Vaughn, if you don't marry her.
- Purple Eyes
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Shrinking Violet
LilyA treasure hunter who came to the islands to strike it rich. If playing as Chelsea, she's your rival for Will.
- Antiquated Linguistics
- Chinese Girl
- Companion Cube: Her panda doll. She said that doll suddenly fell on top of her and shielded her body from a cave-in, and ever since she always brings it everywhere she goes. What's a panda doll doing inside a cave, she doesn't know and doesn't care.
- Dub Name Change: She is known as "Suiran" in Japan.
- Meaningful Name: Lily is obvious, Suiran mean green orchid. Her other spelling of Japanese name; Sui Ren, literally means water lily.
Witch PrincessRival to the Harvest Goddess. Has a love of bears and hatred for her niece!
- Cute Witch
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Has mountains of teddybears in her house.
- Mysterious Waif
- Really 700 Years Old: Because she can't age no one knows how long she's been around.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
ElliotNatalie's put-upon older brother. A hard worker who lacks self-esteem (again, thanks to Natalie). Has a crush on Julia and if you play as Mark, he's your Rival for her.
- Dub Name Change: He is known as "Eric" in Japan.
- Expy: Of Rick.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: With a sister who's more manly than him, he's struggling with his grandfather's expectations of him being a great farmer. He even asked Gannon for tips on how to become more manly. From what it seems, he still has a long road to go. In fact, should Chelsea choose to marry him, his grandfather actually asks her to whip him into shape.
- Give Geeks a Chance: His proposal scene to Julia
- Love at First Sight: If Chelsea marries him, he claims to have been "crazy about [her] since [he] first met [her]".
- Official Couple: With Julia, if you don't marry him.
- Shrinking Violet
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Natalie.
VaughnThe antisocial animal trader who only shows up on the island two days of the week. If playing as Mark, he's your rival for Sabrina.
- Fluffy Tamer: This man befriended a pack of wild dogs better than the villagers.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Mr. Fanservice
- Official Couple: With Sabrina, if you don't marry him.
- Parental Abandonment
- Purple Eyes
- The Quiet One
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: When you first meet him, he's not very talkative or pleasant. As you befriend him, he starts to warm up. Mirabelle and Julia like to keep pointing out that while he acts tough, he really is a nice guy deep down, much to his embarrassment.
- Not Good with People: Type 2.
- Walking the Earth: He's in town 2 days a week, and his proposal scene implies that he's been wandering for a long time.
- The Western: Well, he dresses like a cowboy and is the island's animal dealer...
DennyA free-spirited fisherman, who lives in a shack on the beach. If playing as Mark, he's your rival for Lanna.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Birds of a Feather: With Lanna, for sharing the same interests.
- Dub Name Change: He is named "Danny" in Japan.
- Expy: Of Kai.
- Head Pet: His bird, Kuu (or Popper, in the American version).
- Official Couple: With Lanna, if you don't marry him.
- Parental Abandonment
- Polly Wants a Microphone: Kuu/Popper.
PierreA member of a famous family of gourmets. Came to the island seeking out new ingredients and recipes. If playing as Mark, he's your rival for Natalie.
- Big Eater
- Expy: Essentially a much cuter version of the Gourmet.
- He Is All Grown Up: In Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, it's either this or a case of Art Evolution. Though he looks taller, he retains his childlike features.
- Meaningful Name: His name's Pierre, and your rival for him is Natalie (a short form of Natalya). Sounds familiar...
- Nice Hat
- Official Couple: With Natalie, if you don't marry him.
- Older Than They Look
- Supreme Chef
- Token Mini-Moe: Among the bachelors.
WillRegis' nephew and Sabrina's cousin who lives in a yacht docked at the pier on Sprout Island. If playing as Mark, he's your rival for Lily.
- Antiquated Linguistics
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Overly Long Name: His full name is William Terry Louis Andrew Carrick Jonathan Dredge Hams Reading Roger Southwark Alwick Plymouth Junior Regison III
- Parental Marriage Veto: This is heavily implied through much of his proposal and after-marriage dialogue. Not surprising, considering he seemingly married a lower-class farmer without introducing her to his parents once.
- Princely Young Man
- Spoiled Sweet
SheaA native of the northern jungle. Lives there with his adopted father/chieftain Wada.
TaroDefacto mayor of the island, and (in IoH) the first family to move there in years. He knows a lot about farming.
- Blush Sticker: Oddly enough, seems to sport these.
- Cool Old Guy
- Expy: Looks like a much older version of Pete.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Gut Feeling: It lets him predict the weather (since there are no televisions on the island).
FeliciaTaro's daughter, mother of Elliot and Natalie.
GannonThe village's carpenter, who moves onto the island after you ship some wood and/or material stone. Has a cute daughter named Eliza, who follows him onto the island after you let him upgrade your house.
- Gentle Giant: After you befriend him a bit.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Renaissance Man: Expert carpenter, blacksmith, mechanical engineer, and civil engineer.
- Ugly Guy Cute Daughter
ElizaGannon's ridiculously cute daughter. Moves in with Gannon after your first house upgrade.
ChenThe island's shopkeeper. He moves in soon after you and Taro's family set up shop.
CharlieChen's son. He makes all your accesories and fixes the Wonderfuls to your tools.
Regis (Dachan)Sabrina's father and the island's richest man. Dresses like a serial villain.
- Dastardly Whiplash
- High Collar of Doom: Complete with robe. One reason of the rumor that he was a vampire.
- Married to the Job: In a random event in Sunshine Islands Sabrina yells that her mother left Regis because he cared more about his company than his wife.
Mirabelle(Maselle)Runs the animal shop. Julia's mother.
- I Was Quite a Looker: According to a Sunshine Islands cutscene, young Mirabelle was a darker-haired version of Julia. Julia was aghast by the prospect of being as large as her mother when Mirabelle said many women in their family are indeed big boned.
NathanPriest of the Harvest Goddess. Opens a church at the Goddess Pond after you build the forest bridge.
AlisaNathan's acolyte. Dedicated her life to service to the Goddess.
- Married to the Job: In Sunshine Island, no matter how high her heart meter is, she'll turn down your marriage proposal because she's dedicated to serving the Harvest Goddess.
- Fortunately this is not the case in Tale of Two Towns; however, there is a catch: she won't have a child with you.
- Nice Girl