- Harvest Moon Game Boy: The Game Boy/Game Boy Color series (Harvest Moon 3)
- Harvest Moon 64: Harvest Moon 64
- Harvest Moon: Mineral Town: Back to Nature, and Friends of Mineral Town
- Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life: A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life and AWL: Special Edition
- Harvest Moon Save The Homeland: Save the Homeland and Hero of Leaf Valley
- Harvest Moon: Magical Melody: Magical Melody
- Harvest Moon DS: Harvest Moon DS and DS Cute
- Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness: Island of Happiness, Sunshine Islands and Frantic Farming
- Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility: Tree of Tranquilty and Animal Parade
- Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar
- Harvest Moon My Little Shop
- Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns
- Harvest Moon: A New Beginning: A New Beginning
- Story of Seasons: Story of Seasons
- Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
PeteThe protagonist of the story. He's a young man who takes over his grandfather's old farm after his death.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Has bright blue eyes to show off his innocent and youthful farmer persona.
- Early Installment Character-Design Difference: Future characters who use his design typically have brown eyes, a blue hat (though his sprite shows it as blue), and their handkerchief the other way around.
- Farm Boy: You become one after your grandfather's death. In the Bad End you end up quitting though.
- Heroic Mime: There are some lines in the game implied to be from Pete but it's all internal.
- Nice Hat: You never take it off
Ann (Original)Ann is a young girl who loves working with tools. Her father runs the tool shop.
- Bungling Inventor: Ann does invent things properly. It just happens a lot of the time they also blow up or just don't work too.
- Establishing Character Moment: Her appearance in Magical Melody when one of her inventions blow up on her face.
- Fiery Red Head
- Girliness Upgrade: In the original all wives are palette swaps of each other. Ann suddenly starts wearing dresses post-marriage and acts a bit like a housewife, though she's still a Wrench Wench.
- Tank-Top Tomboy: Underneath her jacket, befitting her Wrench Wench status.
- Tomboy: She's the most tomboyish bachelorette. She's also the only one who doesn't wear a dress or skirt, at least until marriage.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Wrench Wench
NinaNina and her mother operate the flower shop on the northeast side of town.
- The Cutie: She's the most bubbly bachelorette by far.
- Innocent Flower Girl: Her mother owns the local flower shop. Nina loves just about every plant.
- Older Than They Look: She may seem like a little kid but she's supposed to be an adult.
- Pink Is Feminine
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looks like a younger version of her mother. This is continued in Harvest Moon 64 where Popuri and her mom greatly resemble Nina, who is heavily implied to have been Popuri's grandmother.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: It's pink but close enough.
- Third-Person Person: She refers to herself as "Nina", probably to emphasise her childish nature. It seems odd in English, and Magical Melody dropped it.
- You No Take Candle: Speaks like this.
EllenEllen lives at the bakery in town. You first meet her on your second day at work, when the stray dog enters your farm. Her father is the local drunk, much to her shame and frustration.
- Bifauxnen: She wears a dress but still looks somewhat androgynous. Downplayed more in Magical Melody.
- Boyish Short Hair: Subverted. She looks the part but is one of the most feminine characters in the game. Her Magical Melody note even takes note of her hair.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair and brown eyes
- Cutting Off the Branches: She doesn't identify the protagonist as her grandson in 64. It's unlikely she's the canon bachelorette.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Her father is an alcoholic and it frustrates her.
- Missing Mom: Her mother isn't in Magical Melody.
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: In Harvest Moon 64. It's not sudden from her perspective, as she's an elderly grandmother by then, but it's still Played for Drama, and her granddaughter Ellie doesn't take it well at all.
MariaMaria is the daughter of the Mayor. She is usually seen at the church playing on the organ.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a little yellow hairband.
- Hot Librarian: Only in Magical Melody.
- The Ingenue
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: Downplayed compared to future characters in the series. She keeps to herself.
- Meaningful Name: The religious girl is named "Maria".
- Missing Mom: Her mother wasn't used in Magical Melody
- Strong Family Resemblance: With her mom. Maria from 64 is her grandchild and looks like her with a different hairstyle and glasses
- Token Religious Teammate: One of the most religious characters in the franchise. It's even present in Magical Melody, where the town doesn't even have a church.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
EveThe local bartender.
- Adaptational Modesty: Her tight red dress is replaced with a looser, more flowing pink and white one in Magical Melody.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Or as close as the series will ever get.
- Lie Back and Think of England: She has intimacy issues; her affection for you will drop if you go to bed with her, while other girls' affection will go up in the same situation. Averted in Magical Melody.
- Likes Older Women: If you choose to pursue her. In Magical Melody, she lampshades this when you show her a blue feather because she knows she's older than you are.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents death is a major issue for her.
- Stepford Smiler: Type A in Magical Melody. Though she's always seems to be smiling when you see her, in the bonfire event, she brings up the subject of dying.
Church BoyA local kid who is typically by the church.
- She's Not My Girlfriend: He acts this way toward the Fortune Teller's grand daughter at first. Eventually he falls for her.
- No Name Given
- Precocious Crush: He has a crush on Maria.
Nina's motherThe local florist.
- Eyes Always Shut: At least it looks like it. Her redesign in Magical Melody is this way.
- No Name Given: In the original title at least. In Magical Melody her name is given as "Liz".
- Romancing the Widow: She has a romance with Ann's father, who is a widower himself. If you marry Ann they get married.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Nina seems to have gotten her looks from her moms side.
- Widow Woman: Her husband died. You can find her mourning a grave by the church on certain days.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair.
Ann's fatherThe owner of the Tool Shop
- Adaptation Dye-Job: His brown hair became blue in Magical Melody
- Can Not Spit It Out: He has trouble courting Nina's mom.
- No Name Given: In the original title. Magical Melody names him "Michael".
- Romancing the Widow: Has a crush on Nina's mother. They will become married if you marry Ann, though not if you marry Nina.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In Magical Melody