Characters / Hana Yori Dango
Here is the page detailing the specific characters that inhabit the world of Hana Yori Dango
The protagonist. A poor but extremely determined girl that wins a scholarship to Eitoku Academy. Originally, she tries not to stand out and ignores the bullying atmosphere despite her inclinations, but when her friends is threatened by the chief bully, she decides to dedicate herself to resisting it. The series focuses mostly on her romantic tribulations, first with the reserved Rui Hanazawa, then with the hot-blooded Tsukasa Domyoji who she ends up marrying.
Voiced by Kelly Sheridan
- Adrenaline Makeover
- All of the Other Reindeer: As a family that moves from middle class to extremely poor, she tends to get a lot of flack at a school where its normal for students to go on field trips to Hawaii.
- Break the Cutie: She goes through this over the course of the series, but her Plucky Girl nature tends to win out over despair in the end.
- Brainy Brunette: She actually got into Eitoku due to her own book smarts.
- Butt Monkey
- Catch Phrase: Tsukushi's "Unbelievable!" ("Arienai-tsu no!")
- Deadpan Snarker: Although it's mostly wasted on the Sarcasm-Blind Tsukasa.
- Friend to All Children: She has a soft spot for them, and they like her since she has no problem getting down on their level.
- Gold Digger: Her parents wants her to be this.
- The Hero
- Knight in Sour Armor: In her war against bullies.
- Meaningful Name: "Tsukushi" really is a stubborn weed (a type of horsetail, to be exact), and the character holds herself to it.
- Parental Neglect: While they're generally flighty but loving, one chapter has her coming home from school to find them and her brother packing their things: they were moving out to the city, not taking Tsukushi, or planning to tell her until that very day. Keep in mind Tsukushi's is in school and has no job...Her parents promise to send money for her, but when she finally gets a letter from them, it says that they don't have money to send her yet, so here, have some strips of seaweed. Tsukushi honestly thought she'd starve, and probably would have if not for her friends. They are also incredibly stupid, want Tsukushi to be a gold digger and keep losing money on pointless things like pachinko resulting in their poverty...
- Perpetual Poverty
- Plucky Girl: Extremely so. She puts up with enough crap in the first few episodes alone that anyone without superhuman resources of moxie would just curl up and die.
- Scholarship Student
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!
- She Cleans Up Nicely: First seen at Shizuka's party.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: At first, at least, and it's worth noting that she very emphatically likes Tsukasa despite his Jerkass tendencies, and doesn't even give him the time of day before he shows his heart of gold.
- Tomboy: Has definite traits of this (especially compared to most of the other girls in the series), from her outspoken personality to her daily pushup routine.
- Traumatic Haircut: Tsukushi gets her hair ruined by a bunch of bullies and has to get it cut, first by her mom and then by Rui.
- Tsundere: Rui (at least at first) gets most of the "dere-dere" where as Tsukasa gets the lion's share of the "tsun-tsun" (oddly enough, he seems to prefer it that way).
- Will Not Be A Victim: Utterly refuses to let bad luck and harassment get to her.
- Women Are Wiser: Especially when compared to Tsukasa, although Tsukushi is generally just more canny than the Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense people that surround her, regardless of gender.
Tsukushi's initial worst enemy. He starts out as a brutish, malevolent bully who is Tsukushi's main obstacle to happiness
, then his attempts to harass her get less and less threatening and more and more amusing
, and finally he becomes the main Love Interest
. He's emotionally stunted, immature, and kind of an idiot, all of which get more sympathetic once you understand the incredible neglect that typified his childhood
. The richest and most aggressive member of the F4, and therefore the leader. He has a definite soft side, especially when it comes to Tsukushi, but has an extremely
- Ambiguous Disorder: He displays clear symptoms of some sort of language processing disorder and his grasp of social skills is... immature, to put it lightly.
- Bastard Boyfriend: His behaviour falls into this a lot of the time, especially in the original manga.
- The Big Guy
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's such an enormous ditz that even the characters around him can forget how dangerous he can be when he gets serious.
- Disappeared Dad. Mr. Doumyouji is pretty much nonexistant for all that we know.
- The Ditz
- Dumb Muscle: The strongest of the F4 and the most likely to do something boneheaded.
- Elegant Classical Musician: Tsukushi is enchanted listening him playing the piano.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heel–Face Turn
- Hidden Depths
- Idiot Hero
- Impoverished Patrician: Becomes this for a while when Kaede cuts him off.
- Interclass Romance: With Tsukushi.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Fashionable
- Jerkass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Love at First Punch: With Tsukushi. So much that they once provided the picture in the main page!
- Love Redeems
- Malaproper: Very, very much. In the manga, other characters have even broken the fifth wall to point out his inability to speak certain simple words in Kanji (as represented in his speech bubble).
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Averted. He's easily the most traditionally "manly" of the F4 in terms of strength and personality, but is the only virgin. He really didn't have much interest in the concept at all before meeting Tsukushi and afterwards her nerves and circumstances conspire to keep them from doing the deed.
- No Social Skills: Technically has a grasp of manners for formal social occasions, but faceplants whenever he has to interact with other people in a casual setting. He doesn't seem to grasp how and why other people react to emotional stimuli.
- Parental Neglect: His main Freudian Excuse.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: AND HOW!
- Last Guy Wins
- Quirky Curls: A Running Gag is people notice how weird his hair is.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Rui's Sensitive Guy.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Gradually changes in portrayal from a more snobby and superior type to a more silly and naive type.
- Single-Target Sexuality: The only woman he seems attracted to is Tsukushi, despite the beautiful girls who throw themselves at him.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Despite his weird hair manages to catch the chick's eye, and when he have it straightened he looks very handsome.
- Would Hit a Girl: The number of times he attacks Tsukishi and others is disturbing.
- Masochism Tango: Still probably not as often as she beats him though (although in this case, it is clearly done for slapstick humour).
The closest that Tsukasa has to a best friend, and a member of the F4 as well. Tsukushi has a crush on him, since he has helped her out more than once. He's revealed to be still hung up on Shizuka, his childhood friend.
Third member of the F4, and a snarky playboy whose family belongs to the Yakuza
in some continuities.
- The Chick
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Soujiro.
- Likes Older Women: He likes his ladies older, since his mother is One of the Kids.
- Only Sane Man
- Team Dad: A rather sui-generis case. He doesn't particularly care about forcing morality on the group (and probably couldn't if he wanted to) but is the general mediator for conflicts and seems to take it upon his shoulders when the group isn't getting along, eventually leading to him getting in a fistfight with Tsukasa when the latter won't stop stirring up drama with Rui.
- Those Two Guys: With Soujiro.
- Yakuza Prince: Specifically, in the live action.
Fourth member of the F4, he comes from a very traditional family involved in the tea ceremony business. Voiced by Andrew Francis
Tsukushi's old friend, who works part-time with her in a dango shop. Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain
The first friend that Tsukishi makes in Eitoku. It's thanks to Tsukushi standing up for her sake that she's at first targeted by the F4. Voiced by Nicole Bouma
Rui's girlfriend, a beautiful actress and teen idol. Voiced by Nicole Oliver
Tsukushi's old friend, who arrives to Eitoku after his parents make it to the top of their business. Voiced by Brad Swaile
A really pretty girl whom Tsukushi protects from some people harassing her. However, she has a far darker side... Voiced by Rumi Shishido
Tsukasa's mother, as well as the leaderess of the Doumyouji family. Voiced by Mika Doi
Tsukasa's older sister, and the one who was mostly in charge of his early upbringing due to Parental Abandonment
. A gorgeous and famous top model, she lives with her husband in the USA.
Tsukasa's very cute, yet also very
Yuriko Asai, Minako Yamano, and Erika Ayuhara
Three girls who are INSANELY jealous of Tsukushi for the attention she gets from the F4.
The head nurse from Eitoku.