Characters: H.I.V.E. Series
This page is a work in progress. Feel free to help if you can.
open/close all folders
- Always Save the Girl
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving: He and Laura in Deadlock.
- Berserk Button: Harming any of his friends. The biggest immediately following Lucy's death.
- Black Eyesof Crazy: in Rogue.
- Blessed with Suck: Believes he is this because- get this- his photographic memory keeps him from having to study. He feels distant from the group because they have to worry about the tests and he doesn't.
- Cannot Spit It Out: in Aftershock, he spends half of a page trying to confess his love to Laura.
- Childhood Friends: Tom and Penny.
- Child Prodigy: He was one in flashbacks.
- Teen Genius: The series starts on his thirteenth birthday, just pushing him into this territory.
- Cloning Blues
- Clueless Chick Magnet: until Zero Hour.
- Doorstop Baby
- Dying Declaration of Love: Averted with a Not Quite Dead in Rogue, but he still confesses his love to Laura immediately before falling unconscious.
- Electronic Telepathy
- Evil Albino: Not quite evil, but certainly not all that pure either.
- Evil Genius: Sometimes, though like most of the good guys he's more Affably Evil.
- Fatal Attractor: His first girlfriend dies 36 hours after getting together with him, his second girlfriend is kidnapped and taken to the Glasshouse seven minutes after their first kiss..... poor guy.
- Grand Theft Me: Not only does Overlord/Number One want to do this to Otto, but he does get taken over by the Animus at the end of Dreadnought.
- Heroes Want Redheads: He hasn't stopped talking about how pretty Laura's eyes are since book one.
- Heroic Albino: Well, he is.
- I Uh You Too
- Love Makes You Dumb: basically the entire point of book seven.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Sort of. He's actually Number One's clone.
- Meaningful Name: People try to kill, stop or derail Malpense, but he keeps turning up. Like a bad penny.
- Pair the Smart Ones: with Laura.
- Psychic Nosebleed
- Sister Ship: A mere one book after Shelby and Wing begin dating, he confesses his love (again) to Laura. He and Wing are roommates, as are Shelby and Laura.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: His social awkwardness is directly proportional to the attractiveness of the girl he is talking to.
- Undying Loyalty: At the end of Aftershock, he takes the majority of the blame for the massacre of the Alpha stream, so that the last three members can stay at the H.I.V.E. after his expulsion.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: In Book one:'There are twenty-three ways of combatting an assailant armed with a blunt object from this position. Four of them will kill you, twelve of them will permanently disable you and the remaining seven will cause injuries that, while being extremely painful, you will at least recover from. In all of them I take that pipe from you and use it on you.'
- Beta Couple: with Shelby
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Shelby from book two onward.
- The Big Guy - Shelby even calls him this, although he's actually very intelligent.
- Dating Catwoman
- No Sense of Humor: Shelby calls him out on this on multiple occasions.
- Official Couple: With Shelby in book six.
- The Stoic
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Just ask Shelby.
- Token Good Teammate: None of the main characters are evil, but Wing certainly seems to have more of a conscience than the others. He's the only one of the main four who didn't break the law before coming to HIVE.
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving: she and Otto in Deadlock.
- Badass Pacifist
- Beauty Brainsand Brawn: the brains of the three-girl team consisting of her, Shelby(Brawn) and Lucy(Brains).
- Break the Cutie: Very much so in Aftershock, when she is forced to betray the H.I.V.E. and cause the death of almost all of the Alpha stream.
- Challenge Seeker: She and Otto compete to steal the exam answers so often that she uses this excuse in Aftershock to get the location of the Hunt grounds.
- Claustrophobia: First demonstrates this in Escape Velocity.
- The Commies Made Me Do It: Played straight. Pretty much the whole point of Aftershock. They use her brother.
- Cute Bookworm: How many times does Otto find her in the library?
- Girlish Pigtails
- Green-Eyed Monster: After she finds out about Otto and Lucy's relationship in Zero Hour.
- Green Eyes: With Otto as a narrator, it's impossible to forget how pretty he thinks they are.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: The location for the Hunt in exchange for the life of her family.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The Contessa is her favorite teacher.
- Pair the Smart Ones: with Otto.
- Odd Friendship: With Shelby.
- Scotland: She is Scottish, and it shows in her speech.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead
- Teen Genius
- Temporarily a Villain: In book seven.
- Tsundere: More 'dere' than 'tsun', but she has her moments.
- Women Are Wiser: States multiple times that she is always right. In Aftershock, Otto tells her everything will be all right, and she should believe her because "I'm always right, remember?" This disregard for her previous statements proves Otto wrong, as less than ten minutes later all hell breaks loose.
- The Ace
- Action Girl
- Alpha Bitch - She initially seems to have the characteristics of one, but it is quickly revealed to be an act.
- Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving: How she isn't expelled in Rogue after helping Wing escape.
- Bad Liar
- Battle Couple: Played straight with Wing beginning in Zero Hour, after five and a half books of Ship Tease.
- Beauty Brainsand Brawn: The brawn to Laura's Brains and Lucy's Beauty.
- Beta Couple: with Wing
- Blondes Are Violent
- Deadpan Snarker: Seems to be in this mode permanently. Until she starts laughing at herself.
- Final Girl: Quite literally, as she is the last female Alpha at the end of Aftershock.
- Friendly Tickle Torture: in Aftershock, Wing says she does this to him if she thinks he's lying.
- Like a Fish Takes to Water: Shelby seems to be an excellent candidate for H.I.V.E., even more so than most of the others.
- Not a Morning Person: Especially in book one.
- Odd Friendship: With Laura.
- Official Couple: with Wing in book six.
- Popular Is Dumb: Subverted.
- Shipper on Deck: To Otto and Laura for just about every book until Zero Hour when she drops the occasional Otto/Lucy comment.
- Team Mom: Moreso with each installment.
- Bald of Awesome
- Big Guy, Little Guy: with Franz.
- Odd Friendship: With Franz
- Shrinking Violet: don't you agree?
- Alone Among the Couples: lampshades this in Zero Hour to Nigel.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: with Nigel.
- Big Eater: You don't say.
- Bad Liar: Demonstrated hilariously in book six when attempting to hide the fact that Otto and Lucy had kissed from Shelby.Franz: We were just talking about something.... that is not secret...
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Always.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Is becoming this more and more.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Taking down Colonel Francisco in Book Two.
- Funny Foreigner: Three plus years after leaving Germany to attend the H.I.V.E., he still can't speak proper English.
- Just Eat Him: In Dreadnought, Colonel Francisco tells the class that whoever had Franz on their team for the 93%-er would certainly survive, because he provides enough meat for everyone.
- Large Ham: "Do not be worrying, Nigel! Franz will turn you into a real man!"
- Let's Get Dangerous: See Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Odd Friendship: With Nigel.
- Bad Powers, Good People: she dislikes using her hypnosis because she believes it is evil.
- Beauty Brainsand Brawn: The beauty, with Shelby as Brawn and Laura as Brains.
- Brainwashing for the Greater Good: only after she decides to use her abilities about halfway through Dreadnought.
- Compelling Voice
- Death of the Hypotenuse
- Die for Our Ship: A surprising number of fans were ecstatic at Lucy's death so she could get out of the way of Otto/Laura.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In Zero Hour.
- Mass Hypnosis: Uses her Voice on more than one person at a time in Rogue.
- Mind Manipulation
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast/Adjectives: Her full name is Vicontessa Lucia Sinistre.
- Plug 'n' Play Friends: A bit awkward with the rest of the group.... until we find out she has hypnotic abilities. She immediately becomes as familiar with the rest of the group as those who have already attended the HIVE for the past three years.
- Romantic False Lead: Inverted, as she is this to Laura, not Otto.
- Taking the Bullet: Again, Zero Hour.
Block and Tackle
Maximilian NeroThe Headmaster of HIVE.
- Affably Evil: He's very nice for a high ranking member of the world's largest criminal organisation.
- Bait-and-Switch Tyrant: He's technically a villain in book one, but that's just because Otto, our narrator, has not yet gotten to know him.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT harm any of the students of H.I.V.E, or "there will be consequences"
- Dragon Ascendant: If he could have been considered The Dragon to Number One, then his promotion counts as this.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Not afraid to toss people in at the deep end as deemed necessary.
- Absent-Minded Professor
- Genius Ditz: Has been known to be very careless, despite some impressive technological feats.
- Mad Scientist: Discuss.
- Smart People Program AIs: H.I.V.E.mind was his creation.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: In Zero Hour, after surviving all sorts for the last five books, he is killed early on by an animus controlled Raven.
Contessa Maria Sinistre
- Brainwashing for the Greater Good: When she decides to use her Compelling Voice for the good guys' benefit.
- Face Heel Revolving Door
- Mind Control: Her special voice. Apparently it's genetic, too.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast/Adjectives
- Redemption Equals Death: Escape Velocity.
- Baleful Polymorph: She doesn't really like being stuck in her cat's body.
H.I.V.E.MindNot technically 'staff' but he does exist for the sole purpose of serving HIVE.
- Back from the Dead: in Rogue.
- Big Brother Mentor: Ironically, acts as one to his nephew Otto, who is older than he is.
- Big Good
- Do-Anything Robot: Is responsible for the entire running of HIVE.
- Heroic Sacrifice
Raven/NatalyaAlso not technically staff, but she works for Nero rather than GLOVE.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Her second pair of swords: black katanas with variable mono molecular edges (in laymans terms, they can cut through everything because their edge is so fine it can get through the space between the particles of an object). Did we mention they also glow purple?
- Action Girl: Yes, absolutely.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: The books repeatedly refer to her training having made her the lethal Badass she is today. That said, when you see how she got those skills you might not want to go for it.
- Cool Sword
- Dual Wielding: Her katanas
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has the classic 'good' scar down her cheek.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: her normal outfit consits mainly of black leather.
- Mother Russia Makes You Lethal
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Professional Killer
- Training from Hell: Underwent this when younger.
- Affably Evil: To be fair to him, Number One was seemingly a good enough guy for the head of a global league of villainy, and saved Dr. Nero's life. The really evil stuff was all done really by Overlord.
- No Name Given: Although it's implied to be Otto Malpense.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name
- Bald of Awesome
- Bald of Evil
- Cool Ship: Why yes, the Megalodon is a very cool ship.
- Faking the Dead
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: That is, if you're his enemy.
- Archnemesis Dad: to Wing.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot
- Archnemesis Dad: to Otto.
- Body Surf
- Kill All Humans
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Overlord is confirmed as more powerful than H.I.V.E.mind, and is therefore a more exciting colour.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: That is, Red Everything, Take Warning.
- Shock and Awe: Has a habit of using lethal electrical bolts.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Apparently most of body is either muscle or scar tissue.
- Magnificent Bastard.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong.
- Training from Hell: Dispenser of this.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: To Jason Drake, right before he shoots him.
- Knight Templar: For Escape Velocity, if nothing else.
- Blondes Are Evil
- Cool Sword: Designed to mimic Raven's own.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: The twin's first appearance begins with them politely introducing themselves, before adding 'And we'll be your murderers for tonight.'
- Blondes Are Evil
- Cool Sword: Designed to mimic Raven's own.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: The twin's first appearance begins with them politely introducing themselv... Is anyone else getting a feeling of deja vu?