open/close all folders
Bernd Baltzar is an officer in the Weissen Army who quickly climbs up the officer ranks during the First Norden-Trade War. After the war he is reassigned as a military advisor and lecturer to Baselland's military academy.
- Badass Teacher
- Majorly Awesome
- Nerves of Steel
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: see the Main page for details.
- Sole Survivor: Along with Liebknecht to his whole academy.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Liebknecht.
Baltzar's immediate superior in the Weissen Army.
Weissen Army Chief of Staff
The head of the Weissen armed forces and de facto leader of the country.
Baselland Royal Family
Reiner August Winklefeldt
Chief drill master of Baselland's Royal Military Academy and 2nd in line for the throne. Later he attempts to use his influence to modernize his country's military and to keep Baselland independent from great power realpolitik.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Used to this until he met Balzar.
Franz Theodor Winklefeldt
Crown prince and heir apparent to the Baselland throne. His conservative and isolationist policies stand in opposition to Reiner's. Later it is revealed that he plans to align the country to Erzreich under Rudolph's influence.
Baselland Military Academy
Second year student in the artillery division. He is the heir to Strunz Heavy Industries.
- Genius Ditz
- Puppet King: He is instated as Director of Baselland Railroad Company but everyone knows Balzar is the one pulling his strings. His only concerns are whether the company is used to draw Basellaand into Weissen's conflicts instead.
Second year student in the artillery division.
- Always Second Best: To Dieter in Artillery Class.
- "Join the Army," They Said: You could become governmental clerk in peaceful office they said. He has none but himself to blame this trope. Unknown to him things are going to change for Baselland so wars are surely coming.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: He has 8 siblings.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: As Baltzar points out himself, Paul's understanding of his choices' consequences means that he has the greater soldierly potential over Dieter. When he is chosen as part of the academy contingent for the war against Holbeck, he does not ponder over his future lightly.
Student in the infantry division.
- Friendly Sniper
- Heroic Sacrifice: Minor. He used to have bruises and scratches all over him to protect Thomas.
Student in the infantry division.
- The Load: Used to be this. So Marcel has to protect him. Not his fault really but his musket.
Helmut Markus von Babel
Student in the cavalry division.
- The Lad-ette: Just before her gender reveal, everybody sees Helmut as a guy.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: No one in the academy (not even the reader) knew that Hemlut is a girl. Baltzar is the first person to discover this when Helmut tries to get rid of the leeches from her body and then, Balzer saw her breasts.
- Oblivious to Love: Posibbly to Jurgen
- Open Secret: To Cavalry Division those spoilered bits are this. Then Jurgen spilled the beans to Paul, Dieter, Marcel and Thomas.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: At Gala in Weissen's Embassy in Erzreich, she had to wear a dress. She doesn't look much different but still feat to the eyes.
- Suppressed Mammaries: Done in the same way as Mulan
JurgenStudent in the cavalry division.
Frank von Baumann
Headmaster of the academy.
Head instructor of the academy.
Captain NielsenA cavalry officer in the Holbeck Army. During the Second Norden-Trade War he leads the invading Holbeck troops on the Norden-Trade peninsula's eastern coast.
Empress Maria Ludovica
The monarch of Erzreich.
- Altar Diplomacy: Planning to marry her Granddaughter to Reiner (Who is anti-Erzreich), while Franz to marry a Weissen princess (Who is anti-Weissen)
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Implied, she looks like a kind old lady, but has been manipulating Baselland long before the series begins.
- Expy: To Maria Theresa.
- Magnificent Bastard: Oh yes.
- The Reveal: The real Reiner and Franz were kidnapped in 1845, never be found (kinda hard to find your baby in a midst of 315), she convinced the queen to pick anyone, then essentially blackmailed the two princes, using the truth as leverage.
Rudolph von Liebknecht
A political agitator and a former junior officer of the Weissen Imperial Guard; he was once Baltzar's friend during their military academy days. When the First Norden-Trade War began, he led a military coup in Weissen, that in spite of its failure gave the Weissen military a more prominent role in the country. Officially, he is a Baselland court musician, but he later reveals himself to be an officer serving under the Ezreich Empire. He has a spinoff called Yuukoku no Liebknecht, Liebknecht the Patriot.
- Bomb Throwing Anarchist: Can disguise himself to be one when leading a worker's coup.
- The Chessmaster
- Evil Eyepatch=/=Eyepatch of Power: He has both in his right eye.
Dieter's father and the head of Strunz Heavy Industries.