Voiced by: Miyu IrinoThe protagonist and a 16-year-old high school boy who has transferred to Meme and Erio's home city a year prior to the start of the story, due to his parents' work.
- Agent Scully
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: to Erio and a lesser extent to Meme
- Deadpan Snarker: Does this often, mostly in response to one of the girls being weird.
- First-Person Smartass
- Genre Savvy
- In-Series Nickname: He is still known as "Tenkousei" (New Transfer Student) a full year after his arrival.
- Inner Monologue: In compliance to a long-standing Studio Shaft tradition, he engages in this a lot.
- Likes Older Women: Zig-Zagged in several different directions. On one hand, Makoto seems to be attracted to both girls his own age as well as Meme, who is 23 years his senior. On the other hand, he tends to ping-pong between attraction and repulsion towards Meme.
- New Transfer Student: At least one year ago.
- Nice Guy: For the most part. He has no hidden agendas while trying to help Erio open up despite what Yashiro may try to tell him.
- Not So Above It All: In episode 3, after Meme leaves his room, the first thing he does is look outside the hallway to make sure no one's there. Then he jumps on his bed and sniffs his pillow where she was laying moments before. She then opens his door and tells him she probably doesn't have much of a scent because she wasn't wearing makeup.
- Only Sane Man: Although he has his fair share of First-Person Smartass monologues.
- Second Year Protagonist
Voiced by: Asuka OogameMakoto's hitherto unknown cousin and Meme's daughter, who happens to be a very strange girl with a fascination for UFOs.
- Agent Mulder
- Broken Bird: She disappeared for six months, of which she doesn't remember anything. She was found on a beach. Believing herself to be an alien, she breaks her leg trying to fly while on a bike and earns herself a bad reputation for her aggressively-delusional state.
- But Not Too Foreign: She is half-Scottish
- Creepy Monotone: Noticeably loses it when Makoto forces her to admit she's a human being.
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Cutie
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Starting as extremely broken, alone, and delusional, she opens up (metaphorically and literally in terms of her futon) and slowly enters society again.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She not only looks and behaves like she came from another world, she actually thinks she's an alien. Therefore, it's safe to assume that she doesn't will to try such an invention of the humanity as shoes, not even after some of the illusions of her being an alien were broken.
- Emotionless Girl: Starts off acting like this, but Makoto and Meme are Genre Savvy enough to realize when her delusional jargon is really just expressing her feelings.
- Hair Antennae
- Hikikomori: As much as it's Played for Laughs, Erio is a textbook case, reacting to severe trauma by withdrawing from the world. The fact that Makoto looks confused and sasses her instead of pointedly ignoring her like everyone else in her life does — her mother included — is getting her to open up to him, slowly.
- Magic Skirt: Considering how often the camera follows a low angle Male Gaze around her, Erio is lucky for this. There was a pretty unavoidable Panty Shot in the first episode, but it was censored with a flying saucer.
- Multicolored Hair: Erio has very light blue hair but at times gains crystal-like glitter (that can flow off her without ending). Other characters notice this, mainly Makoto, but never mention it out loud.
- No Social Skills
- The Ophelia
- Rapunzel Hair
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Sparkling blue hair, pale skin, shy and very weird.
- Security Blanket: She finds it difficult to interact with people without having herself wrapped securely in a futon. Even after getting over the worst of this she finds it soothing.
- Shrinking Violet: Social interaction-wise, after Makoto finally breaks her shell.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl
- Theory Tunnel Vision: Erio was in a tragic accident wherein she went missing for three months and then turned up on a beach without any memory of the intervening time. Her reaction was so bad that she invented a story that she had been abducted by aliens and convinced herself that was the only explanation. After a few months, she tried to test her theory... only be injured again. But again, because she was far too fragile to face reality, she only drew even further into her fantasy world, to the point of becoming a Hikikomori. Later, her cousin forcibly proves to her that she isn't an alien, but after an initial highly negative reaction, she seems oddly okay and is even willing to regain society again.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Woman in White: Erio often wears a lacy white, sleeveless dress (when she isn't wrapped in a futon, that is). This is to represent her unearthly beauty and pure, childish personality.
- The Xenophile
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Teal hair.note
Voiced by: Ai NonakaMakoto's aunt and Erio's mother. A vibrant woman of 39 who acts much younger than she is.
- Abusive Mom: Played for Laughs and very brief. She actually cares a lot.
- Christmas Cake: Played with a lot. She's a single mother of 39 who still hits on her nephew and obsesses over moe.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Like mother, like daughter indeed.
- Girlish Pigtails: Ties her hair up like this sometimes.
- Hair Antennae
- Large Ham: She tends to do this from time to time, such as when she decides to be the coach for the baseball team Makoto plays in.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: She bore Erio at the marriageable age of 25, but still, would you believe that she's pushing forty?
- Mrs. Robinson: It's part of her complex about getting older and acting childish; she's constantly shamelessly flirting with Makoto (and everyone else).
- Ms. Fanservice: Due to all the teasing she does to Makoto, and the sometimes revealing outfits she wears.
- Older Than She Looks: Seriously, Meme is thirty-nine (later forty) years old with that hot body of hers?
- One of the Kids: Thinks and acts very much like her daughter's age.
- Parents as People: Meme does love her little girl, and the only time she's ever been shown to be serious was when she's thinking about her, but that doesn't stop her from showing she has absolutely no idea on how to be a parent.
- Rapunzel Hair
- The Tease: Loves to utilize this on Makoto, much to his chagrin.
- Woman Child: Behaves much younger than her age.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark blue.
Ryuuko "Ryuushi" Mifune
Voiced by: Emiri KatouMakoto's highly energetic classmate and a member of their school's girls' basketball team.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Shows no reservations on expressing jealousy whenever Makoto hangs around with another girl in her presence. She will also invite Makoto to events, only to suddenly change plans whenever she sees or learns that Erio is tagging along.
- Covert Pervert
- Cute but Cacophonic: Don't let Ryuuko cheer for you unless she's standing a good 20 or so feet away. Her "cheering" of Makoto involves her screaming into his ear at the top of her lungs.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Genki Girl
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted, in that she's a genuinely bubbly kid.
- Sweet Tooth: Fruits to be exact, having confessed of being a vegetarian.
- Tsundere: Pretty far to the deredere side, but it does emerge when she becomes a Clingy Jealous Girl
Voiced by: Mai FuchigamiAnother classmate of Makoto who is unusually tall for her age.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl
- Huge Schoolgirl/Statuesque Stunner: She tells Makoto that at 179.9cm, she is a magnet for school clubs, but due to her poor physical health (probably just being out of shape), they quickly lose interest in her.
- She's Got Legs: Due to being so tall. Its most pronounced when she's wearing her various cosplay outfits.
- The Tease: While not as much as Meme, she does occasionally invoke this trope, particularly when Ryuuko is around.
- Third-Option Love Interest: After Ryuuko and Erio.
Tamura aka "Granny"
Voiced by: Hiroku MaruyamaThe old woman who owns the local sweet shop and employs Erio. A strong believer in aliens, who is convinced that she is being subjected to "cattle mutilation," causing her various illnesses. She is also Meme's grandmother.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Cool Old Lady
- Incurable Cough of Death: she's apparently been ill at least since Meme's childhood.
- Miniature Senior Citizens
Voiced by: Yuka IguchiA mysterious girl who is frequently seen on a spacesuit.
- But Now I Must Go
- Hair Decorations: A sun-shaped hairclip.
- Mystical White Hair
- Mysterious Waif: While Makoto treats her like a runaway brat, enough strange things occur when she's around to fit this trope, such as wearing a spacesuit in the middle of summer, along with some other strange coincidences.
- Oracular Urchin: Argues for the existence of the supernatural long after Makoto punctures Erio's fantasies. At points, she almost comes just short of convincing Makoto himself that perhaps life isn't as ordinary as it appears.
Voiced by: Yasunori MatsumotoMeme's childhood friend, who has returned to his hometown and now spends most of his time launching bottle rockets from an old baseball field.
- Accidental Misnaming: Meme persists in calling him "Yamamoto," even after he tells her that isn't his name
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: When he returns to town after a few years, he immediately asks Meme to marry him. She immediately rejects him.
Voiced by: Takahiro MizushimaA blonde boy Makoto meets while playing baseball.
- Love Confession: Did one to Ryuuko before the start of the series, only to be turned down. This causes some awkward moments when she sees him playing on the town's baseball team, and he in turn shows up at her basketball game — even as he is already dating Hanazawa.
Voiced by: Kana HanazawaCaptain of the local softball team.
- The Ace: The shopping district team, and Makoto especially, are terrified of her pitching skills
- Determinator: While she was winning the preseason games between the city and shopping district baseball teams, she mentions to Makoto that they're constantly losing in the high school games. However, she mentions that she doesn't want to give up, unless their team just loses hope altogether and then possibly get disbanded due to lack of interest from students joining due to their poor track record.
- Friendly Enemy: She is the ace pitcher of the opposing team to the Ragtag Bunch of Misfits that make up the shopping district team, yet is never portrayed as anything other than nice and polite to Makoto, Maekawa, or anyone else from the other team who interacts with her.