Characters: Gravity Falls Surprise Hut
open/close all folders
Dana "Stargirl" Pines
The main protagonist of the franchise. Dana is a curious, clever, inventive 12-year-old. With her twin brother Marcus along for the ride, she dares to uncover the secrets of Gravity Falls.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Adorkable: And how!
- Affectionate Nickname: Marcus occasionally calls her "Stargirl".
- Agent Mulder: Considering what she deals with, it's not a surprise.
- Ambiguously Jewish
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Bookworm: Dana is often seen reading the journal or sketching pictures in a notepad. Despite that, she's very capable of putting up a fight. In "Headhunters", she has an epic sword fight with wax Sherlock Holmes, and even tricks him to go outside so that the sun can melt him. This kid right here, outwitted Sherlock bleedin' Holmes.
- Badass Normal: Dana relies entirely on her wits and her resourcefulness in order to defeat foes and overcome obstacles.
- Berserk Button: NEVER call her a tomboy. It will only motivate her to solve mysteries.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Brainy Brunette
- Brains and Brawn: The Brains to Marcus' Brawn.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Marcus.
- Brown Eyes
- Butt Monkey: She's humiliated on a regular basis.
- The Cassandra: Almost no one believes her about the strange things going on in Gravity Falls.
- City Mouse: The county police like to call Dana "city girl".
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: She often plays this to Marcus with varying degrees of success, although on some occasions she's just as goofy as he is.
- The Comically Serious: Big time. Anytime she attempts to look smart and mature, expect it to be ruined by Marcus' or Salls' antics or her own hidden goofiness.
- Coming-of-Age Story: Several of Dana's experiences in Gravity Falls include learning about herself, defending a first crush, and boldly standing up for what is right, all elements of this trope.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Considering that she's in Gravity Falls, she's more often than not is Properly Paranoid.
- Control Freak: Though not overbearing per se, her over attention to detail and occasional irritation with Marcus and Salls leads her to be insistent on her own direction of things.
- Cool Loser
- Crazy-Prepared: Dana brings seventeen disposable cameras for a monster hunt. This is because she's Genre Savvy enough to realize that cameras keep getting destroyed or lost during monster hunts.
- Creator Cameo: The author voices her in the video promotion.
- The Cynic: Always.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Foil: To Marcus.
- Four-Fingered Hands
- Genre Savvy: Very much so.
- Guile Hero: In "Headhunters", when she tricks wax Sherlock Holmes onto the roof of the Surprise Hut so that the rising sun will melt him.
- Guilty Pleasures: Dana ADORES rock groups.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Marcus.
- The Hero/The Leader
- Heroes Want Redheads: Her crush on William.
- Iconic Outfit: Dana is always seen in a blue cap with a tree symbol on it.
- Insufferable Genius: Light example. She's the most intelligent of the main cast and Not So Above It All (often) shows a lot more common sense. Her neurotics can be irritating however and she can be a bit prideful if over aware of her logic. Not to mention being an apt Deadpan Snarker.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: It comes from cynicism rather than any actual jerkishness.
- Kid Detective/Kid Hero
- Messy Hair: Combined with Rapunzel Hair. Justified since she doesn't use conditioner.
- Nerd Action Hero
- Nice Girl: For the most part, she's a pretty sweet kid.
- Nice Hat: Silvia gives her a white and blue baseball cap with a blue pine tree as a gift.
- Non-Action Girl: She's this most of the time, but all bets are off when Marcus is in danger.
- No Respect Girl
- Only Sane Woman
- Precocious Crush: On William.
- Seeker Archetype: Dana's primary motivation is to uncover the secrets of Gravity Falls.
- Socially-Awkward Hero
- The Strategist: In general she's always the one that comes up with the plans.
- Surrounded by Idiots
- Tomboy: Though you may not want to mention it where she can hear you.
- Took a Level in Badass: In "Headhunters", and she takes it to new levels in "Dana vs. Girlishness" when it's revealed she's capable of killing someone.
- Weirdness Magnet: Somewhat justified considering the environment.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
Dana's twin brother. Energetic and optimistic, Marcus makes the best of every scenario with a big goofy smile.
- Adorkable: One of the most adorkable—if not the most adorkable—characters on the show.
- Affectionate Nickname: Salls occasionally calls Marcus "hambone".
- Ambiguously Jewish: This is mostly due to the fact that Marcus occasionally uses Yiddish phrases like "mazel tov".
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Berserk Button: Marcus may appear to be a flake, but you do NOT harm his sister or he will kick your butt... The gnomes learned that the hard way.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Marcus is the sweetest person you could hope to meet, but he's something else whenever he gets angry.
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Blithe Spirit
- Blush Sticker
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn to Dana's Brains.
- Brother-Sister Team: A rather refreshing one with Dana, in that they're not constantly bickering and actually make quite a remarkable team.
- Brown Eyes
- Catch Phrase: "Holy smokes!"
- Cheerful Child
- Cloudcuckoolander: Marcus has an... interesting way of thinking.
- Cool Loser: Not to the same extent as Dana, but he's easily as cool.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: And when it happens, watch out. In the pilot alone he takes down a hundred gnomes using nothing but a leaf blower.
- Cute Bruiser: Cute kid. Will beat you up in without the need for Waif-Fu, thank you very much.
- The Cutie
- Dork Knight
- Foil: To Dana.
- Four-Fingered Hands
- Fun Personified: A very cheerful and silly character. Just about everything about him screams fun.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Dana.
- Improbable Weapon User: When he's not kicking and punching, he tends to grab whatever's handy. He uses a leaf blower to blow away a hundred gnomes back into the woods in "Tourist Trapped" and in "Headhunters", uses candles to take down a group of wax statues that had him surrounded.
- In Love with Love
- Kid-anova/Handsome Lech
- Kid Detective/Kid Hero
- Iconic Outfit: Marcus is hardly ever seen without a Pony medallion.
- The Lancer
- Large Ham: Sometimes he can be really over the top.
- Let's Get Dangerous
- Limited Wardrobe: He always wears a pink t-shirt and purple shorts.
- Motor Mouth: Chatty, opinionated, and has no trouble saying whatever comes to mind, no matter how strange or unsettling.
- Mr. Imagination: Is prone to wild flights of fancy.
- Nice Guy
- Perpetual Smiler
- Plucky Comic Relief
- The Pollyanna: Marcus has been described as a "glass half full" kind of guy.
- Product Placement: You can clearly see the Sony logo on his dark pink headphones.
- Real Men Wear Pink: A literal example. He usually wears a pink t-shirt.
- Sarcasm-Blind: On occasion.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: In a lesser extent than his sister, but still.
- Sweet Tooth: In "The Inconveniencing", he eats a ton Smile Dip.
- Weirdness Magnet: Weird stuff is always gravitating toward him.
Great-Aunt "Graunt" Silvia Pines
Silvia Pines is Marcus and Dana's generous great-aunt. She runs the Surprise Hut, a little shop full of gemstones and jewelry. When she's giving tours, Dana and Marcus sneak out to explore the town's secrets.
An employee at the Surprise Hut. Salls often accompanies Dana and Marcus on their adventures. She acts much like One of the Kids
, though you'll find she's actually quite intelligent.
A teenager who works at the Surprise Hut. Dana happens to have a crush on him.