Character Sheet for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Tommy was a member of the Forelli crime family in Liberty City before being sent to whack a rival gang member in Harwood. However, he was ambushed but took down his would-be assassins, racking up a body count of 11. This incident lead to him gaining not only infamy as "The Harwood Butcher", but also 15 years behind bars. Upon his release, Sonny Forelli knows that Tommy is too hot for Liberty and sends him "down south" to Vice City to expand the empire, starting with a cocaine deal with the Vance Family. Unfortunately, this results in yet another ambush that leaves Vic Vance dead and Tommy without the coke or Sonny's money. With nothing but the clothes on his back, a hotel room and a relationship with neurotic lawyer and lead Ken Rosenberg, Tommy then sets out to find out who set him up, get Sonny's cash back, and perhaps get a slice of the action for himself. Voiced by Ray Liotta
- Affably Evil / Faux Affably Evil: Very affable if you're on his side, but very ruthless if you are his enemy.
- Ax-Crazy: He is aggressive and easily angered, and has no problem with killing his enemies with chainsaws. Not for nothing was he nicknamed "The Harwood Butcher".
- Badass: The biggest one in the entire franchise. Yes, he is probably the most immoral and evil protagonist of the franchise, but still, he is unstoppable in every point of view, to the point that fear him some characters from the end. He faced the most dangerous and powerful criminals of the 80s, and killed them all, including the hundreds of henchmen without problem, something no other character in the GTA III Era could muster.
- The Butcher: As mentioned above, he's known as "The Harwood Butcher" because of a hit that went down badly.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: After Tommy's worked with the Cubans a bit, Auntie Poulet (a matriarch of the Haitian gang, which is at war with the Cubans) gets her hands on him, drugs him with a strange stew, and has him commit hits on the Cubans against his will.
- Blood Knight: He is brutal and straightforward in running his business, and he believes the only recourse to any setback is violence.
- Brooklyn Rage
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Dreaded
- Expy: Tony Montana
- Hawaiian-Shirted Tourist
- Honor Among Thieves: Believes that loyalty and honor among the family are ideals everyone else within the organisation should hold. He is wrong. And none too happy about the discovery.
- Karma Houdini: Best seen in "Messing With The Man"; he causes widespread destruction across Vice City and likely kills numerous civilians, with the express purpose of attracting the attention of the law, yet he gets off scot-free if he manages to clear his Wanted Meter after he's finished the mission.
- Pet the Dog: That's right! He does have his moments.
- He is good friends with Colonel Cortez.
- He also has a romantic relationship with Cortez' daughter, Mercedes.
- He considers Earnest Kelly to be like a father.
- Sadist: He has no qualms about violence, and is implied to enjoy it.
- The Sociopath: Often seems to be very violent and cold in nature, and does not seem to feel any remorse for killing.
- Super Drowning Skills: In a beach town. Fanon accepts the above "Liberty City's water is unsafe" explanation and extrapolates it into "Tommy thus never learned how to swim, having grown up there." He also seems to be extremely fearful of sharks and overreacts to the rumors that Vice City's waters have them.
- Hardly rumors, you can sometimes see a huge shark swimming around the city.
- Universal Driver's License: Tommy is the first GTA protagonist who can use vehicles on air, land and sea.
- Villain Protagonist: It is certainly the most definitive trait of the character. Although he appears to be criminal out of necessity in the beginning, he's not just punching a clock; he's been a lifelong career murderer who never wanted to be anything else, and has no Freudian Excuse behind it. There are no lines he isn't willing to cross, and isn't that much better as a person than his enemies.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Tommy believes in loyalty being the defining principle of the Family. Sonny Forelli delights in telling him he's mistaken and has been using him the entire time.
- You Fight Like a Cow: Loves to hurl insults at pursuing cops.
The Don of the Forelli family, Sonny is calm and gentle at first but really likes being rich.
A self-centered, self-serving, Hollywood Homely
mob boss whose only reasons to live are in and around his mansion. He is helped by Victor Vance in his rise to power (and then later sent some of his henchmen to kill him after he felt he had no more use of him), only to be taken down a few years later by Tommy Vercetti, who takes his mansion, cars, and helicopter.
A neurotic mob lawyer with connections to various big figures in Vice City.
- Ambulance Chaser: Despite being very good at what he does, he isn't above such antics for money.
- Amoral Attorney
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Expy: He's clearly based on Sean Penn's character in Carlito's Way.
- Functional Addict: He's clearly an addict but is still an asset to Tommy regardless. When we meet him in San Andreas it appears this lifestyle eventually caught up to him.
- Undying Loyalty: Despite being the first person you'd expect to turn on Tommy, the amoral lawyer of all people remains a strong ally throughout. And is eager to continue their business relationship once Sonny is out of the picture.