Characters: Giant Bomb
Character page for the video game website Giant Bomb.
open/close all folders
Jeff GerstmannThe co-founder of the site alongside Ryan and Giant Bomb's head dude. He reviews games, is a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast, the site's weekly podcast, and co-hosts the Powerbombcast, the site's professional wrestling podcast, with Alex, Dan, and Giancarlo Varanini.
- Author Appeal: Cyberpunk, 90's Gangster Rap, things that are So Bad, It's Good, and dubstep.
- Catch Phrase: "I'm the best [insert game]note player in the world."
- Chewing the Scenery
- Dirty Old Man: Jeff often plays this up for comedy.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Nerves of Steel
- The Leader
- The Lancer: Played this role to Ryan Davis. Plays it for Brad solely on the Bombcast.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: His spot on Brad imitation.
- Picky Eater: Admits that he "eats like a child", although he's admitted to getting better about this recently (and even at his worst, was likely never as bad as Dan Ryckert).
- Rebellious Spirit
- Self-Deprecation: Jeff frequently mocks himself and the website."This is the worst fucking website in the world. They funded this and this is what we're doing with it!"
Vinny: "How's their video player?"Jeff: "Probably better than ours."
- During a Bombcast ad for Squarespace:
- The Southpaw
- Trash of the Titans: While not as bad as most, Jeff definitely has a lot of stuff piled up, enough to make a fake Hoarder's episode.
Brad ShoemakerA reviewer who joined the site in June 2008. He is the current host of the Giant Bombcast.
- Author Appeal: Emotional games, deeper meanings. And StarCraft. And Dota2.
- Badass Baritone
- Born Unlucky: It seemed to be this way with Mario Party Parties: in the first three games, Brad somehow got last place in all of them. But he finally got first place in the fourth one!
- Catchphrase: "Emails!", "Oh no!", "Come here, you!", "I'm out!"
- Friendly Rivalry: With Dan Ryckert. The friendliness is up for debate, though, especially during the Mario Party videos.
- The Lancer: Outside of the Bombcast, he's this to Jeff.
- Performance Anxiety: Brad seems to have the most trouble out of everyone when it comes to public panels in front of large crowds. He's usually the most nervous/quiet host during these events.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Oh yeah.
- Took a Level in Badass: After unlocking the infamously difficult Mile High Club achievement in Call of Duty 4.
- Undying Loyalty: Has this to Giant Bomb, according to others on the site.
- Up Through the Ranks: Now hosts the podcast.
Alex NavarroA reviewer who worked for a movie site called Screened and also contributed to Giant Bomb part-time. After Giant Bomb's acquisition by CBS Interactive, he joined the site as a full-time employee. As of 2012, he lives in New York City and serves as one half of "Giant Bomb East", working with Vinny separate from the site's main office in California. He reviews many games, writes his own column on the site called The Guns of Navarro, and also writes some news. Alex was an infrequent guest on the Giant Bombcast before moving, and currently is a regular on the Giant Beastcast, as well as co-hosting the Powerbombcast with Jeff, Dan, and Giancarlo Varanini, and Box Office Bomb, the site's movie podcast, with Rorie.
- Deadpan Snarker
- In-Series Nickname: When deciding on a name for Patrick and Alex's two-man video feature, Jeff insisted on ending every suggestion with "with Scoops and the Wolf". Alex does not fully understand why he is "The Wolf".
- Straight Man: Is this to Vinny in many Giant Bomb East videos.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: Very apparent when looking at his GameSpot days, especially after taking on a more prominent role at Giant Bomb after Vinny moved to New York.
Dan RyckertFormerly of Game Informer, Dan joined Giant Bomb as a Senior Editor in mid 2014. He is a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast, and currently co-hosts the Powerbombcast with Jeff, Alex, and Giancarlo Varanini, and Danswers, a life advice podcast, with Danny O'Dwyer.
- Author Appeal: Like Jeff and Alex, is a huge professional wrestling fan to the extent that the latter two have toned down their interest in it. Also, based on the games he picks for Unprofessional Fridays, gets a lot of enjoyment out of games with floppy, Ragdoll Physics enabled characters.
- Captain Patriotic
- Dreadful Musician
- Eagleland: 80's style!
- Friendly Rivalry: With Brad Shoemaker. The friendliness is up for debate, though, especially during the Mario Party videos.
- Genki Guy: He's a very upbeat and energetic fellow.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Displayed this, over and over, during the Avalon stream.
- Man Child
- Nobody Calls Me Chicken
- Odd Friendship: Despite his pre-Giant Bomb friendship with Jeff, Dan's most frequent partner for Giant Bomb content has rapidly become Drew. So far, they have partnered for Metal Gear Scanlon (Drew plays the Metal Gear Solid games while Dan watches), Demo Derby (Drew and Dan play through old demo discs), and Bomb After Reading (a premium podcast about books).
- Selective Obliviousness
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Jose Canseco.
- The Slacker: He is apparently quite proud of the fact that he managed to complete a full college degree with very little effort thanks to strategic picking of courses and negotiating with professors for alternate projects. The results are quite apparent since he has never seen neither The Godfather nor Citizen Kane despite having majored in Film Studies; claimed all his knowledge about The Renaissance came from Assassin's Creed II despite having a minor in History and he had no idea who Jane Austen was before discussing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell on the Bombcast despite writing for a living.
- The Ditz: After only a few weeks on the Giant Bomb staff, several comments made by Dan (including not knowing about Africa's involvement in World War II despite having a history minor, having to have the concept of a car's title explained to him at the DMV, and believing that "egg whites" were actually the egg shells and attempting to cook them) have firmly established him as this.
- The Pollyanna: Although he's struggled with anxiety and panic attacks in the past, he's still an optimistic and jovial guy.
- Troll: One of his first appearances on Giant Bomb, before being hired, was detailing an elaborate prank he set up on a dating site.
Austin WalkerFormerly a freelance games writer who has done articles for Paste, the New Statesman, and his own blog at clockworkworlds.com, Austin Walker was announced as the new News Editor at the end of the 5/29 Giant Beastcast. In addition to writing news articles for the site, he is a regular on the Giant Beastcast.
Vincent "Vinny" CaravellaThe lead video producer who is as prominent a personality as the editors. Vinny wrote a few reviews in the early days, but producing and managing video seems to eat up most of his time now. Moved back to his home state of New York in mid-2014 to join Alex in establishing a Giant Bomb office on the east coast. He was a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast until his relocation, and currently hosts the Giant Beastcast.
- Author Appeal: Games with a heavy focus on story. Will read companion novels (no matter how bad) and complete any sidequest promising to reveal even the tiniest amount of background information or lore. He also likes (more compelled) to complete collectables if a game has them.
- Constantly Curious
- The Big Guy
- Happily Married: As well as a father to two kids.
- Mean Video Game Player, Nice Video Producer: In most cases, he comes across as a genuinely nice and happy guy. But get him in front of a game with a lot of Video Game Cruelty Potential (especially Sleeping Dogs), and watch him turn into a total sociopath.
- Younger Than They Look: He's the same age as Brad but he used to look older than the rest of Giantbomb due to his shaved hair. Recently though time seems to have caught up to the crew and at this point Vinny might look like the youngest besides Drew.
Drew ScanlonAnother video producer who shows up often in video features and live shows. Drew is a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast as of 2013, and co-hosts Alt+F1, a podcast about Formula-1 racing, with Danny O'Dwyer.
- Ascended Extra: Unlike much of the Giant Bomb staff, he was not a former GameSpot editor but was originally hired as an intern. After being hired full time, he occasionally made guest appearances in Quick Looks and on the Bombcast when there was an empty seat. In the summer of 2013 he became a permanent member of the Bombcast and was included in the Game of the Year deliberations for the first time later that year.
- Author Appeal: Extremely realistic and realistically complicated military/vehicle simulators. He's a bit of a military/outdoors nut in general. Also loves world travelling, which is probably half the reason he's the one who tends to go on the crew's crazy adventures (like to Iceland for Eve Online's Fanfest)
- Celebrity Resemblance: Commonly compared with Michael C. Hall.
- With his beard and longish hair, he has recently been compared with Troy Baker.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Formerly Fat: Once mentioned that he was "kind of a fat kid" in high school.
- Morality Pet: If the 2014 GOTY deliberations were anything to go by, Drew's this for Alex Navarro. Navarro repeatedly pointed out how his decisions were influenced by if a game negatively affected Drew.
- Odd Friendship: With Dan Ryckert. As listed in Dan's character section, they have done a lot of videos together.
- The Quiet One
- The Stoic: The most calm and emotionally reserved of the duders. Seeing him truly angry is extremely uncommon, and he has rarely, if ever, cursed on camera. However...
- Not So Stoic: He has his moments, such as in Metal Gear Scanlon and the Mario Party videos, especially Mario Party 3.
- Those Two Guys: Hosts Alt+F1, an F1 podcast, with Danny O'Dwyer.
- Up Through the Ranks
Jason OestreicherFormerly of Game Informer, Jason joined as the site's new video guy alongside Dan in July 2014. He is an infrequent guest on the Giant Bombcast (usually subbing in for Drew).
Matt RorieA site engineer and community manager, usually the one who monitors the chat during livestreams. Co-hosts Box Office Bomb with Alex.
Ryan DavisThe other co-founder of the site alongside Jeff. He was the former host of the Giant Bombcast, as well as live shows. In addition, he reviewed games infrequently. Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013, at the age of 34.
- Ac CENT Uponthe Wrong Syl LA Ble: Liked to mispronounce words, but also liked to get overly angry at Will Smith for mispronouncing words...
- Big Fun
- Catchphrase: "Hey everybody, it's Tuesday [[insert date]] and you're listening to the Giant Bombcast!"
- Happily Married: Unfortunately, Ryan passed only a few days after the ceremony.
- In-Series Nickname: 'Taswell', which he used for his online aliases and in games. It was his great-grandfather's middle name that was also meant to be his, though Ryan's father mistakenly believed it to be 'Thomas', which Ryan's middle name ended up being.
- Lame Pun Reaction: The sound of a fist pounding the table, then "God-DAMNIT!"
- The Lancer
Dave SniderThe former lead site engineer who often appeared in video features and left the site in 2013 to spend time with his family. Dave was an infrequent guest on the Giant Bombcast and wrote a few reviews. He still makes an occasional appearance on the Bombcast and Premium videos.
- Author Appeal: PC gaming and old-school RPGs. Games made in Russia.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Dude loves dragons.
- Happily Married
Ian KellyBehind-the-scenes tech guy who was sometimes heard in the background, and almost never seen. The guy that the Bomb Crew were talking to when they say "Can we get a little more game audio/big knob out here, Ian?"
Alexis GallisáAnother site engineer who sometimes appeared in video features. Alexis left the site in October 2014 for a position at Twitch.
Patrick KlepekThe main news editor who joined in April 2011. Patrick wrote many news and opinion columns for the site and also reviewed games. After several years in the main office, he moved back to his hometown of Chicago in the summer of 2013. He was a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast during his time in California, and co-hosted Bombin' the AM with Scoops and the Wolf with Alex. After some foreshadowing with the announcement of a News Editor position opening up at GBeast earlier in the year, Patrick left the site in December 2014, becoming a senior reporter for Kotaku.
- Author Appeal: Has a strong personal interest in horror media and indie games. When it comes to writing, he enjoys examining the representation of women in games and considers himself a feminist.
- Iconic Outfit: The hot dog suit he wore in the Happy Action Theater Quick Look has become this.
- Funny Afro
- Growing the Beard: In multiple ways.
- Happily Married
- In-Series Nickname: Trick, Tricky, Scoops
- Intrepid Reporter: By the time he was hired at Giant Bomb, Patrick had already gained quite a name for himself, having the first report of the dismissal of Infinity Ward senior employees Jason West and Vince Zampella.
- Theme Naming: In games with customizable character names, Patrick always names his characters after those from Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.
Friends of the Site
Jeff BakalarFrom CNET Gaming, a semi-regular guest on the Giant Beastcast.
- Fake Guest Star: Despite Vinny and Alex claiming that there would be "rotating guests" for the Beastcast, Jeff has been the guest on all of the initial episodes.
- Running Gag: Vinny coming up with incredibly bad puns for Jeff's last name.
Ed BoonCo-creator of the Mortal Kombat series, and the Creative Director of Netherrealm Studios, formerly of Midway Games.
Adam BoyesVP of Publisher & Developer Relations at PlayStation, formerly of Midway Games
Norman ChanOf Tested.com, previously part of Whiskey Media.
- Those Two Guys: With Will Smith.
John DrakeDirector of Portfolio Strategy at PlayStation, formerly of Harmonix.
- Shameless Self-Promoter
- Enraged by Idiocy: Has taken to viewing Dan as an ill omen for Giant Bomb
- Trademark Favorite Food: Diet Coke.
Cara EllisonFreelance writer.
- Walking the Earth: Spent 2013-14 traveling the world doing embedded reports on various game developers.
Rich GallupProducer at Disruptor Beam. Used to work at GameSpot with the guys.
Jeff GreenA consultant for Hit Detection. Former editor-in-chief of Computer Gaming World.
- Fan Nickname: At some point while working at CGW he picked up the nickname "Dad" for reasons below. Internet osmosis has made it widely used.
- Team Dad: He's garnered this image as one of the few prominent middle aged people in the video game journalism field.
Samantha KalmanGame developer.
Greg KasavinCreative Director of Supergiant Games. Formerly a game journalist at GameSpot with the guys.
Matt KesslerAccount relations rep at Sony and a former Giant Bomb intern.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: When John Drake paid a visit to the Bombcast after being hired by Sony, one of the first topics brought up were the insane things said by Kessler that Drake had overheard, now that the two of them were coworkers.
Mary KishVideo producer for GameSpot.
- Distaff Counterpart: Has frequently been compared to Vinny.
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine
Dave LangCEO of Iron Galaxy Studios, formerly of Midway Games. History’s greatest monster.
Brad MuirOf Double Fine, lead designer of Iron Brigade.
Danny O’DwyerA host and producer at GameSpot.
- Ascended Fanboy
- Cluster F-Bomb: He's not afraid to swear in the slightest.
- Those Two Guys: Does Alt+F1, an F1 podcast, with Drew Scanlon. He and Dan Ryckert also host Danswers, a podcast where both Dans answer questions pertaining to real life problems.
Eric PopePart of the Community team at Harmonix. Used to occasionally contribute content to Screened during Alex and Rorie's tenure.
Paul RyckertDan's dad, who has appeared in several features when he or Dan visit each other.
- Like Father, Like Son: He and Dan are very alike.
- Where Did We Go Wrong?: Paul frequently seems mystified about how his son manages to play video games for a living.
Will SmithOf Tested.com, previously part of Whiskey Media.
Giancarlo VaraniniFormerly of GameSpot. Co-hosts the Powerbombcast with Jeff, Alex and Dan.
John VignocchiVice President of Production for Disney Interactive Studios (primarily of Disney Infinity), formerly of Midway Games.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: Johnny V. is a very nice guy with a terrible habit of saying things around the Giant Bomb crew that embarrass him or get him in trouble.
- Perhaps the worst one being the time he accidentally tweeted out Dave Lang's phone number during an E3 2015 livestream.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.