Character page for the video game website Giant Bomb
open/close all folders
The co-founder of the site alongside Ryan and Giant Bomb's head dude. He reviews games, is a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast, the site's weekly podcast, and co-hosts the Powerbombcast, the site's professional wrestling podcast, with Alex, Dan, and Giancarlo Varanini.
A reviewer who joined the site in June 2008. He is the current host of the Giant Bombcast.
A reviewer who worked for a movie site called Screened and also contributed to Giant Bomb part-time. After Giant Bomb's acquisition by CBS Interactive, he joined the site as a full-time employee. As of 2012, he lives in New York City and serves as one half of "Giant Bomb East", working with Vinny separate from the site's main office in California. He reviews many games, writes his own column on the site called The Guns of Navarro, and also writes some news. Alex was an infrequent guest on the Giant Bombcast before moving, and currently co-hosts the Powerbombcast with Jeff, Dan, and Giancarlo Varanini, and Box Office Bomb, the site's movie podcast, with Rorie.
- Deadpan Snarker
- In-Series Nickname: When deciding on a name for Patrick and Alex's two-man video feature, Jeff insisted on ending every suggestion with "with Scoops and the Wolf". Alex does not fully understand why he is "The Wolf".
- Took A Level In Cheerfulness: Very apparent when looking at his GameSpot days, especially after taking on a more prominent role at Giant Bomb after Vinny moved to New York.
Formerly of Game Informer, Dan joined Giant Bomb as a Senior Editor in mid 2014. He is a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast, and co-hosts the Powerbombcast with Jeff, Alex, and Giancarlo Varanini.
- Author Appeal: Like Jeff and Alex, is a huge professional wrestling fan. Also, based on the games he picks for Unprofessional Fridays, gets a lot of enjoyment out of games with floppy, Ragdoll Physics enabled characters.
- Captain Patriotic
- Dreadful Musician
- Friendly Rivalry: With Brad Shoemaker. The friendliness is up for debate.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Displayed this, over and over, during the Avalon stream.
- Man Child
- Nobody Calls Me Chicken
- Odd Friendship: Despite his pre-Giant Bomb friendship with Jeff, Dan's most frequent partner for Giant Bomb content has rapidly become Drew. So far, they have partnered for Metal Gear Scanlon (Drew plays the Metal Gear Solid games while Dan watches), Demo Derby (Drew and Dan play through old demo discs), and Bomb After Reading (a premium podcast about books).
- Selective Obliviousness
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Jose Canseco.
- The Ditz: After only a few weeks on the Giant Bomb staff, several comments made by Dan (including not knowing about Africa's involvement in World War II despite having a history minor, having to have the concept of a car's title explained to him at the DMV, and believing that "egg whites" were actually the egg shells and attempting to cook them) have firmly established him as this.
- Troll: One of his first appearances on Giant Bomb, before being hired, was detailing an elaborate prank he set up on a dating site.
Vincent "Vinny" Caravella
The lead video producer who is as prominent a personality as the editors. Vinny wrote a few reviews in the early days, but producing and managing video seems to eat up most of his time now. Moved back to his home state of New York in mid-2014 to join Alex in establishing a Giant Bomb office on the east coast. He was a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast until his relocation.
Another video producer who shows up often in video features and live shows. Drew is a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast as of 2013, and co-hosts Alt+F1, a podcast about Formula-1 racing, with Danny O'Dwyer.
- Ascended Extra: Unlike much of the Giant Bomb staff, he was not a former GameSpot editor but was originally hired as an intern. After being hired full time, he occasionally made guest appearances in Quick Looks and on the Bombcast when there was an empty seat. In the summer of 2013 he became a permanent member of the Bombcast and was included in the Game of the Year deliberations for the first time later that year.
- Author Appeal: Extremely realistic and realistically complicated military/vehicle simulators. He's a bit of a military/outdoors nut in general. Also loves world travelling, which is probably half the reason he's the one who tends to go on the crew's crazy adventures (like to Iceland for Eve Online's Fanfest)
- Celebrity Resemblance: Commonly compared with Michael C. Hall.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Formerly Fat: Once mentioned that he was "kind of a fat kid" in high school.
- Morality Pet: If the 2014 GOTY deliberations were anything to go by Drew's this for Alex Navarro as the latter repeatedly pointed out how his decisions were influenced by if a game negatively affected Drew.
- The Quiet One
- Those Two Guys: Hosts Alt+F1, an F1 podcast, with Danny O'Dwyer.
- Up Through the Ranks
Formerly of Game Informer, Jason joined as the site's new video guy alongside Dan in July 2014.
A site engineer and community manager, usually the one who monitors the chat during livestreams. Co-hosts Box Office Bomb with Alex.
The other co-founder of the site alongside Jeff. He was the former host of the Giant Bombcast, as well as live shows. In addition, he reviewed games infrequently. Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013, at the age of 34.
- Ac CENT Uponthe Wrong Syl LA Ble: Liked to mispronounce words, but also liked to get overly angry at Will Smith for mispronouncing words...
- Big Fun
- Catchphrase: "Hey everybody, it's Tuesday [[insert date]] and you're listening to the Giant Bombcast!"
- Happily Married: Unfortunately, Ryan passed only a few days after the ceremony.
- In-Series Nickname: 'Taswell', which he used for his online aliases and in games. It was his great-grandfather's middle name that was also meant to be his, though Ryan's father mistakenly believed it to be 'Thomas', which Ryan's middle name ended up being.
- Lame Pun Reaction: The sound of a fist pounding the table, then "God-DAMNIT!"
- The Lancer
The former lead site engineer who often appeared in video features and left the site in 2013 to spend time with his family. Dave was an infrequent guest on the Giant Bombcast and wrote a few reviews. He still makes an occasional appearance on the Bombcast and Premium videos.
Behind-the-scenes tech guy who was sometimes heard in the background, and almost never seen. The guy that the Bomb Crew were talking to when they say "Can we get a little more game audio/big knob out here, Ian?"
Another site engineer who sometimes appeared in video features. Alexis left the site in October 2014 for a position at Twitch
The main news editor who joined in April 2011. Patrick wrote many news and opinion columns for the site and also reviewed games. After several years in the main office, he moved back to his hometown of Chicago in the summer of 2013. He was a weekly guest on the Giant Bombcast during his time in California, and co-hosted Bombin' the AM with Scoops and the Wolf with Alex. After some foreshadowing with the announcement of a News Editor position opening up at GBeast earlier in the year, Patrick left the site
in December 2014, becoming a senior reporter for Kotaku
Friends of the Site
Co-creator of the Mortal Kombat
series, and the Creative Director of Netherrealm Studios
, formerly of Midway Games
Of Tested.com, previously part of Whiskey Media.
Director of Portfolio Strategy at PlayStation
, formerly of Creator/Harmonix.
- Walking the Earth: As of this writing is currently traveling the world doing embedded reports on various game developers.
Producer at Disruptor Beam. Used to work at GameSpot with the guys.
A consultant for Hit Detection. Former editor-in-chief of Computer Gaming World
- Fan Nickname: At some point while working at CGW he picked up the nickname "Dad" for reasons below. Internet osmosis has made it widely used.
- Team Dad: He's garnered this image as one of the few prominent middle aged people in the video game journalism field.
Creative Director of Supergiant Games. Formerly a game journalist at GameSpot with the guys.
Account relations rep at Sony and a former Giant Bomb intern.
Video producer for GameSpot.
CEO of Iron Galaxy Studios
, formerly of Midway Games
. History’s greatest monster.
Of Double Fine
, lead designer of Iron Brigade
A host and producer at GameSpot.
Of Tested.com, previously part of Whiskey Media.
Vice President of Production for Disney Interactive Studios
(primarily of Disney Infinity
), formerly of Midway Games
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: Johnny V. is a very nice guy with a terrible habit of saying things around the Giant Bomb crew that embarrass him or get him in trouble.