Characters from the ''Gemma Doyle'' books.
The protagonist, and one of the four main characters in the series.
* ActionGirl: Slowly evolves into this.
* AntiHero: Type 1
* ActionSurvivor: Initially.
* BewareTheNiceOnes: It takes a lot to get her to the breaking point, but once she gets there, the offending party is in for a world of trouble.
* BrattyTeenageDaughter: Seemed to be this prior to her mother's death.
* EroticDream: Has these about Kartik.
* ExtremeDoormat: Not normally but definitely when it comes to her friends, especially in the first book.
* FieryRedhead: Gemma is usually sarcastic and even-tempered but she can slide into this territory at times.
* NiceJobBreakingItHero: Gemma makes mistakes. While they don't happen often, when they do, the consequences are serious enough to more than qualify her for this trope.
* SlapSlapKiss: With Kartik.
* TrueCompanions: Is this with Felicity, Pippa, and Ann but their friendship is tested often.
* TheLancer: Unusually, despite being the main character who narrates the story and having the most ties to the plot, Gemma is this to the spirited Felicity.
* AbusiveParents: Her mother is flighty enough to cause scandal for the conservative times. [[spoiler: Then there's her father...]]
* AlphaBitch: Before befriending Gemma, Felicity could be ruthless. Afterwards she is more of a...
* BerserkButton: [[spoiler:Referencing what her father did to her is not a good idea.]]
* TheCorruptible: [[spoiler:Is swayed the most and the consequences of being corrupted are extremely dire.]]
* DumbBlonde: Averted. Felicity has the most social smarts which makes her the "smartest" of the girls in a society where fitting in is so very important.
* [[spoiler: LipstickLesbian: With Pippa.]]
* EtTuBrute: [[spoiler:Thankfully averted, despite many hints that this would be the case.]]
* GreenEyedMonster: Shows some signs towards the other girls, feeling that even [[TheChewToy Ann]] and Gemma are better off than she is.
* TheLeader: Unusually, Felicity leads the girls in Victorian society and even in the realms after getting used to setting.
* [[spoiler: SanitySlippage: Suffers from this at the end of the first book when corrupted by the realms.]]
* VitriolicBestBuds: Her and Gemma.
* [[spoiler: AxCrazy: The consequence of remaining in the realms and eating its food.]]
* BrainlessBeauty: Somewhat subverted as Pippa is less dumb and more naive. But boy, [[UnwittingInstigatorOfDoom is she naive.]]
* TheChick: Deconstructed. Pippa only fits the role because she is the most traditionally feminine and has nothing else to recommend her besides her looks, and this causes her more problems than it solves. Pippa's condition throughout the story rallies her friends together, but it is because of circumstances and not because of her character. She is woefully helpless and dependent on others and contributes little to the group.
** BreakTheCutie: [[spoiler:Her fate, beginning with her ArrangedMarriage.]]
** CorruptTheCutie: [[spoiler:What happens to her.]]
** [[spoiler: CuteAndPsycho]]
* [[spoiler: EvilFormerFriend]]
* DrivenToSuicide: Not that this keeps her out of the story.
* [[spoiler: FaceHeelTurn]]
* IllGirl: Pippa has epilepsy and due to the norms of the time, this must be kept under wraps lest her reputation be ruined.
* [[spoiler: LipstickLesbian]]
** [[spoiler: PsychoLesbian: Goes down this road ''hard'' in the last book.]]
* [[spoiler: SanitySlippage: ''HOLY CRAP!'']]
* WalkingSpoiler: From the end of the first book onward.
!! Ann Bradshaw
* AbhorrentAdmirer: For Tom, but only because she isn't rich.
* AllTheOtherReindeer: Being a scholarship student of little beauty and no social skills, Ann was an easy target at Spence's.
* BeautifulAllAlong: Not in a transformational sense, but Ann's growing self-confidence makes her more happy which improves her appearance.
* BrainyBrunette: The most academically smart of the group.
* DeathByOriginStory: Her parents.
* ExtremeDoormat: Semi-justified. She lets the Spence girls (sometimes including Gemma, Fee, and Pip) walk all over her, because she knows full well that she can get expelled for the slightest infraction while the others could practically get away with murder.
* IJustWantToBeBeautiful: So much so that she uses her magic to make herself appear beautiful to others. Tellingly, this form looks absolutely nothing like Ann.
** Over time, Ann realizes that her fake beauty is actually costing her recognition for her real talents in singing and acting, and so she willingly stops hiding behind the illusion.
* LonelyTogether: How She and Gemma became friends.
* [[MySisterIsOffLimits My Brother Is Off Limits]]: Averted, Gemma has no problem with Ann's crush on Tom.
* SelfHarm: The bullying Ann endures drove her to scratch at her arms with her sewing needles.
* BattleCouple: With Gemma in "A Sweet Far Thing".
* CassandraTruth: His reasons aside, he was right about the realms being dangerous.
* GreenEyedEpiphany: Was pretty clearly attracted to Gemma before Simon showed up but he forced Kartik to own up to his feelings.
* [[spoiler: HeroicSacrifice]]
* LoveInterest: For Gemma.
* [[spoiler: KilledOffForReal]]
** FakeDefector: Later becomes this.
* SlapSlapKiss: With Gemma.
* StarcrossedLovers: Also with Gemma.
* [[spoiler: SecretIdentity: She is Circe.]]
* AntiVillain: Turns into as the series goes on.
* EvilFormerFriend:[[spoiler: To Mary Dowd.]]
* EvenEvilHasStandards: In ''A Sweet Far Thing''.
* FriendlyEnemy: To Gemma.
* [[spoiler: KilledOffForReal]]
* [[spoiler: RedemptionEqualsDeath]]
* SecretIdentity:[[spoiler: She is Mrs. Moore.]]
!![[spoiler: Mrs. Eugenia Spence]]
* [[spoiler: BiggerBad]]
* [[spoiler: FallenHero]]
* [[spoiler: FaceHeelTurn]]
* [[spoiler: TheCorruptible]]
* BigBrotherInstinct: [[spoiler: Possibly this is what motivated him to warn Kartik of his upcoming demise.]]
* HeroicSacrifice: He died protecting Gemma's mother.
** SenselessSacrifice: Due to her suicide.
* WeHardlyKnewYe: Played with; though Amar shows up a few times in the series, we only met his original non-evil form once.