open/close all folders
From the "real" universe
Miaka Yuuki / Suzaku no Miko
Voiced by: Kae Araki (Japanese, TV series), Noriko Hidaka (Japanese, radio dramas), Bridget Hoffman (as "Ruby Marlowe", English)
- All-Loving Hero
- Attempted Rape: Frequently a victim of this as rape is supposed to neutralize her priestess powers.
- Big Eater: One of the most emblematic female examples. It should be noted that, by Word of God, she's supposed to be pudgy.
- Book Dumb: Subverted: she's shown as more or less average in grades and works hard to get good ones and manages to get in a quite prestigious high school.
- Clothing Damage: Whenever she is attacked, sometimes reducing her clothes to rags clinging to her underwear (which always stays miraculously intact).
- Bridget Hoffman: Under the pseudonym Ruby Marlowe.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Displayed when she successfully saves her six bodyguards from Soi's lightning attack.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown eyes and brown hair. Although granted, Miaka's eyes are more hazel than truly brown.
- Damsel in Distress: Often runs into dangerous situations and needs to be saved.
- Damsel out of Distress: Played with. In the first episode she's doesn't hesitate to headbutt or pile drive thugs that accost her but she can't hit them hard enough to make them stay down. This means she still needs rescuing. On another occasion, she was trapped in a pocket dimension while a demon used her body to make trouble for her guardians. She badly injured herself to wound the imposter and escape but then she needed a blood transfusion.
- The Ditz
- Driven to Suicide: More than once.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: She starts wearing her hair down as she matured.
- Generic Cuteness: Is pretty, but not as beautiful as Yui.
- Good Samaritan
- Guilt Complex: Attributed to seeing her mother sad following a divorce. It only gets worse when she's the Priestess.
- Hollywood Pudgy: In-universe, she is called fat, but she's got a quite full figure compared with other anime girls.
- Idiot Heroine: Good grades or not, Miaka severely lacks common sense and doesn't think things through.
- Kneel Before Frodo: Is on the receiving end of this when she agrees to be the Priestess.
- Lethal Chef
- Love Dodecahedron: She's pretty much the center of it.
- Martyr Without a Cause
- Misapplied Phlebotinum: She wastes Tasuki's spell cards to make snacks. To be fair, she wasn't aware of the limits of said spell card's magic.
- Naïve Everygirl
- Nice Girl: Despite having flaws, Miaka is a kind-hearted girl who forgives mostly everyone who wronged her and she is shown to put her friends and others before herself when she summoned Suzaku.
- Obsessed with Food: To the point where she literally can't control herself around food, and daydreams about it frequently. The bad guys (and Taiitsukun) take advantage of this more than once!
- Odango Hair: Her default hairstyle. In the manga she'll often wear other hairstyles, but in the anime she wears her hair this way almost exclusively when it isn't let down.
- Official Couple: With Tamahome.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Teen Pregnancy: Downplayed example: she is 18 years old in the Eikoden OVA, and married to Taka when she becomes pregnant.
- The Plan: In the 3rd OVA, it turns out she gave her unborn child to a girl who would use her strong feelings for Tamahome to save the Universe of the Four Gods, which was falling apart as the book became old and worn. Nothing is what it seems, and it was something Miaka did subconsciously. It Makes Sense in Context.
- The Power of Friendship
- The Power of Love
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Miaka is the red; Yui is blue.
- Say My Name: Tamahome!!!
- Tsundere: Towards Tamahome.
- Too Dumb to Live: Though Miaka doesn't actually die in this series, that is not due to lack of effort on her part. Time and time again, she runs headfirst into danger alone, despite not having any magic or combat skills, and despite having 7 guardians whose sole purpose for existing is to protect her. She survives only because of the Suzaku 7 wage a vigorous battle with darwinism to keep her alive and the fact that most the enemies just want to kidnap her instead of kill her.
- Virginity Makes You Stupid: Miaka is a virgin, and she's also a little on the slow side, but clearly well-intentioned.
- Virgin Power
- Wedding-Enhanced Fertility: When she marries Taka/Tamahome in "Eikoden," they conceive a baby on their honeymoon, making that baby extra special. It's the Living Macguffin needed to summon Suzaku again.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: In the manga, she constantly tries to get the approval of her well-intentioned but very exigent Education Mama.
- Wrestler in All of Us
- Xanatos Gambit: In "Eikoden," she gives her 12-week-old fetus to Mayo to save the universe.
- Your Universe or Mine?
Yui Hongo / Seiryuu no Miko
Voiced by: Yumi Touma (Japanese, TV series), Wakana Yamazaki (Japanese, CD Dramas), Wendee Lee (English)
- Anti-Villain: A Type III.
- The Atoner: In the OVA.
- Attempted Rape: Yui is immediately attacked by two men as soon as she enters the book, which sets the stage for much of the ensuing drama. Though, it was found out Nakago saved her before any real damage could occur.
- Back from the Dead: After Miaka uses her first wish to rescue her from Seiryuu.
- Belly Dancer: Her priestess outfit is pretty comparable to something a belly-dancer might wear.
- Clothing Damage: When she gains Seiryuu's divine power.
- Cute Bookworm: Sensible and studious, she cut her hair short in an effort to get boys to stop chasing her.
- Driven to Suicide
- Green-Eyed Monster: Despite having her own bodyguard admirer in the form of Suboshi, Yui actually yearns for Tamahome, one of the Suzaku and Miaka's main Love Interest. This only causes Yui to resent Miaka even more.
- Evil Counterpart: To Miaka.
- Expy: No doubt that her characteristics will be the idea for Riku.
- Face–Heel Turn: Though she pulls a Heel–Face Turn in the end.
- Fanservice Pack: Starts acting and looking more Hotter and Sexier once she became the Seiryuu priestess.
- If I Can't Have You...: After Tamahome spurns her advances, she vows to make him suffer alongside Miaka.
- Immodest Orgasm: Appears to have one when Seiryuu (in human form) enters her heart.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: In the OVA.
- Love Makes You Evil: Being a Yandere towards Miaka and Tamahome counts as this.
- Must Make Amends: Successfully does this with her final wish, partly because the wish practically killed her. Miaka saves the day, of course.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Parents as People: Though her parents do care for her, they're shown only once. In the anime, her father doesn't even show up.
- Power Hair: Cut her hair short in 8th grade so that boys would stop bothering her. She lets it grow out again in high school.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue, with Miaka as the red.
- Redemption Equals Life: Seems like Redemption Equals Death at first.
- Rival Turned Evil: After her own trip inside the book ends in less than ideal results, Nakago exploits Yui's emotionally vulnerable state by manipulating her into blaming Miaka for her misfortunes. Thus begins Yui's growing hatred of her former best friend and eventual rise as the Seiryuu priestess. Thankfully, she later sees the error of her ways before it's all too late.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Siding with Nakago is this one, but the Laser-Guided Karma she receives brings her back to her senses.
- Unwitting Pawn
- Virgin Sacrifice
- Yandere: Over Tamahome and Miaka.
Keisuke Yuuki, Miaka's older brother
- Big Brother Instinct: He loves his little sister Miaka and will do anything to help her.
- Hot Librarian
- Unfazed Everyman: He handles all the craziness around with surprising aplom.
Mrs. Yuuki, Miaka and Keisuke's mother
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Does care for her two kids, but after having to raise them alone for years, she's become quite embittered and over-exigent.
- Education Mama: And how!
- No Name Given
- Parents as People: As said above, she does love her children but in her desire to do her best, she can be self-righteous and arrogant.
- Brutal Honesty - Deadpan Snarker: Doesn't have much of a brain-to-mouth filter.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: Yui and Tetsuya eventually get together, although their relationship is humorously one-sided on Tetsuya's part.
- Those Two Guys: With Keisuke.
- Sunglasses at Night
- The Glasses Come Off: And oh my, he's very handsome when his full face is seen.
Voiced by: Junko Noda (Japanese), Lynn Fischer (English)
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Taka. Mainly because he's already in a Seduction-Proof Marriage with Miaka, and because Mayo is a former student of his, but she persists anyway and lies about their (nonexistent) relationship.
- Apocalypse Maiden
- Evil Redhead: Though she could also be strawberry blonde.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Driven to Suicide: After she realizes what she's done. Tamahome rescues her, though, whether the audiences want it or not.
- Hot for Teacher: The guy she loves is her P.E. teacher and coach... Taka Sukunami a.k.a Tamahome.
- I Just Want to Be Special
- It's All About Me
- Jerkass: Yui at her worst looks like Tohru Honda compared to her.
- Karma Houdini: Even worse than Nakago. At least the guy did go through some pretty horrific shit that explains why he turned out like that.
- Kick the Dog:
- Kneel Before Frodo: Gets this from Konan, just as Miaka did.
- Love Makes You Evil
- Morning Sickness: Subverted. She sits up in bed heaving, thinking it's just morning sickness (in her mind, a small price to pay for bearing Taka's child, especially instead of Miaka), but instead, she vomits up a magical orb that lets her see what Taka is up to.
- Moral Myopia: She tells everyone that Miaka is a selfish bitch who only thinks of her own happiness. Well, this is the girl who is willing to fuck up a whole universe just so she can steal Miaka's husband Taka and their unborn child.
- Must Make Amends: After she has her moment of My God, What Have I Done?.
- My God, What Have I Done?: As she realises how much of an asshole she's been.
- Mystical Pregnancy: She is a (presumably virgin) 16-year-old girl, with no boyfriend to speak of, yet is three months pregnant. The baby is Miaka's, and has been transferred into Mayo's uterus by supernatural means. That was Miaka's doing, in order to save Konan, though everyone in and out of universe is led to believe that Mayo stole the fetus.
- Nun Too Holy: As the Miko, she's supposed to be using her wishes for the benefit of Konan (not herself), and she's supposed to treat her warriors and her attendant with respect. Does she? No. She also spreads vicious rumors about Miaka.
- Parental Abandonment: Supposed to be her Freudian Excuse, as her parents are about to split up very messily. Comes off more as Wangst to Westerners, who aren't necessarily aware of the HUGE social stigma coming from divorce in Japan.
- Prayer of Malice: Is tricked into using this to facilitate the destruction of Konan.
- Primal Fear: Being killed by Taka via a Traumatic C-Section. This is what motivates her to pray to Fake!Suzaku for the destruction of Konan.
- Shorttank: Short-haired, tomboyish, athletic...
- Straight Edge Evil: Doesn't drink or smoke, and is (considering that she summoned Suzaku) presumably a virgin, but still quite depraved.
- Teen Pregnancy: Is 16 years old at the time of her Mystical Pregnancy in the book.
- This Loser Is You: Supposed to be a symbol of human weakness, especially in matters of the heart.
- Traumatic C-Section: Is threatened with this.
- Unwitting Pawn: For the fake Suzaku.
- Villain Protagonist: Yeah, she's THAT bad.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gets this from Tamahome and from Boushin.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Telling everyone that Miaka was a horrible and selfish person.
Takiko Ohkuda / Genbu no Miko (Fushigi Yuugi only)
Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka (Japanese)A Japanese schoolgirl from the 1920s, who became the Priestess of Genbu.NOTE: She now has her own series, so only the tropes fitted for this part of the franchise here will be here. Those who wish to understand her further should refer to Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden.
- Hair Decorations: Her hair ribbons.
- Hidden Eyes: As seen in the only picture of her shown in the original Fushigi Yuugi, which is posted above.
- Imperial Japan: Genbu Kaiden took place in the Japan of 1923, almost at the end of the Taishou era.
- Kimono Is Traditional: More exactly, she wears a hakama. Justified Trope: not only she's Japanese but she lived during the Taishou Era (The Roaring '20s), when girls wore hakama as school uniforms and the Sailor Fuku had just been implemented as such.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Traditionally-dressed young woman, wearing her hair really long.
- Offing the Offspring: Keisuke finds out thanks to his research that she was at the receiving end of this, when her father Einosuke realised that her illness was caused by Genbu devouring her from the inside as a consequence of being a Miko. He then went the Murder-Suicide way.
- Posthumous Character: She lived and died almost 70 years before the story began.
Suzuno Ohsugi / Byakko no Miko
Voiced by: Midori Nakazawa (Japanese)
- Big Fancy House: She lived in an old Japanese home with her grandson, Toki.
- The Cameo: In Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden, sorta. Her father Takao shows Takiko a picture of 8-year-old Suzuno, and she can't help squealing over her cuteness.
- Girlish Pigtails: Had Rapunzel Hair and kept it in twin braids.
- Hero of Another Story: Of the Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Ibun prequel.
- Imperial Japan: Her story takes place in the Showa era, probably around 1933-1935.
- Meganekko: In one Watase illustration, she's wearing glasses.
- Plucky Girl: This girl survived her Miko trials without suffering the downside of being devoured by the God from the inside. Also, in the anime as an old woman, Suzuno pretty much kept herself alive out of pure sheer willpower while attended by Tetsuya, Keisuke and her family, refusing to die until she and Tatara could be reunited as the snow fell on them.
- Sailor Fuku: As a youngster, she was shown wearing a blue one. Again, a Justified Trope: she went to highschool few after the seifuku replaced the hakama as the average uniform for girls.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Tatara, one of her Seishi. In the anime, they ended up Together in Death.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A miko with an iron clad spine, and lives in a traditional Japanese home. In one of the Watase illustrations, she's seen wearing a kimono alongside the other girls.
- The Caretaker: Inplied to be this for Suzuno in her last days.
- Cassandra Truth: He never believed his grandmother Suzuno's claims about the Shi Jin Ten Chi Sho.
- Genre Savvy: Whether he believes Suzuno's stories or not, he immediately recognizes Keisuke and Tetsuya's arguments and decides to take them to his grandmother's presence.
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (Japanese), Toshihiko Seki (Japanese, CD dramas), Mamoru Miyano (Suzaku Ibun game), David Hayter (English)
- All of the Other Reindeer: Was bullied by other kids because of his Facial Markings.
- Berserk Button: If you don't want to risk being kicked into the sky, do not call him "Obake-chan". Or threaten Miaka/harm or kill his family.
- Bishie Sparkle: He does this the most often...
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Bodyguard Crush: On Miaka.
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Clothes Make the Maniac: The earring was part of the kodoku spell.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Midway through the series, his family gets slaughtered. This conveniently removes any reason for him to stay in his world instead of going to the real one to live with Miaka.
- Country Mouse: Lives in a poor village, works many jobs to provide for his family. As Taka, he's a youth from the Japanese countryside who studies and works in Tokyo.
- The Dutiful Son
- Even the Guys Want Him: Loved by Miaka. Desired by Yui and Mayo. Object of Nakago's obsession. Vitriolic Best Friend with Ho Yay hints to Tasuki. Nuriko loved to tease him and once kissed him.
- Evil Costume Switch
- Facial Markings: His Suzaku mark is located on his forehead.
- The Hero
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When he loses his whole family. Complete with Berserker Tears and him being THIS close to cross the Despair Event Horizon.
- Played for Laughs earlier, when Miaka returns from the real world for the first time. Nuriko tells that Tamahome went into a milder case of this due to depression, showing it in small details—like chewing on an empty dish and not noticing until Nuriko points that out.
- Important Haircut
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he first met Miaka, he rudely ask her for money because he have to feed his family without her knowing until she met them and they have few arguments but they love each other.
- Manly Tears
- Missing Mom: His mother died when he was very young.
- Money Fetish
- Nice Guy: He loves his family much and grows to love Miaka and treat her decently despite their arguments, he's even more nicer when he was reincarnated in the real universe as 'Taka'.
- Official Couple: With Miaka.
- Out-of-Clothes Experience
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Tasuki's Red Oni.
- Rescue Romance
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Despite his Money Fetish, he's competing with the Emperor for Miaka's love. Miaka chooses him anyway.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Say My Name: And how...
- Talk to the Fist
- Took a level in kindness: Tamahome accepts his own power and duty as the Suzaku Warrior to protect Miaka after his family's death and quickly falls in love with her.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Tasuki.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Your Universe or Mine?
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese, TV series), Yasunori Matsumoto (Japanese, radio dramas), Katsuyuki Konishi (Suzaku Ibun game), Kirk Thornton (English)
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking
- Bishie Sparkle
- Bishōnen: Even in a universe populated by them, he stands out.
- Bodyguard Crush
- Camp Straight
- Celibate Hero: Has an entire harem, but never really makes use of it (despite pressure to pick an empress and produce an heir), holding out for the legendary priestess. He eventually selects Houki, after seeing that Miaka is happier with Tamahome.
- Cool Sword
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- The Emperor
- Even the Guys Want Him: Nuriko, Nuriko, Nuriko... Also, one of the bandits from Mt. Reikaku.
- King Incognito: Pulls this on Miaka, then later travels with Tasuki and Mitsukake for a few days before letting them know he's the Emperor.
- Lady of War: Fights like one.
- Lonely Rich Kid: He was one of these in his childhood when he was educated and sheltered in Konan's palace as the prince before becoming the emperor at the age of 14, because of these he never went outside Konan's palace and city, make friends and experience love even from his previous emperor father and his mother. He was aware of these and when he learns that he is a Suzaku warrior and the Suzaku Priestess will come to his world, he wishes that the priestess will help end his loneliness and find true friends who will accept him as a person.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Love Dodecahedron: Hotohori is in love with Miaka, who is in love with Tamahome. Meanwhile, Nuriko is in love with him.
- Loving a Shadow: Was in love with Miaka's image as the Suzaku no Miko, rather than as the person she truly was.
- Replacement Love Interest: He looks just like his unbeknownst-to-him half-brother Tendou, who once shared a relationship with Hotohori's later wife, Houki.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Is the Rich Suitor twice. Miaka picks Tamahome over him first, then Houki picks him over his half-brother.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The Emperor. A reasonably good politician and administrator. A really badass fighter.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: "I'm so beautiful, it SCARES ME!"
- Supporting Leader
- Triang Relations
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Hotohori pulls this on one of the Mount Reikaku bandits. The bandit is so smitten he doesn't really care. That, and in his first appearance he dropped a Bridget on Miaka herself...
- Warrior Prince
- The Wise Prince
Voiced by: Chika Sakamoto (Japanese), Minami Takayama (Japanese, CD Drama), Junko Minagawa (Suzaku Ibun game), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (English)
- Ambiguously Bi: He's in love with Emperor Hotohori, but there are subtle hints that he might have also developed feelings for Miaka in the time before his death...
- Attractive Bent-Gender: He's a guy and yet he was selected to be in the emperor's harem. Though it seems that almost no one knows that he's a boy at first.
- Badass Gay: The physically strongest of the Suzaku, and also openly proud of the fact that he's a man with the heart of a woman, being head-over-heels in love with Hotohori.
- Beauty Mark
- The Big Guy: Nuriko has the strength of, 10 or more grown men, but isn't all that tall or muscular or masculine and in fact is proud of his cuteness.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Big Brother Mentor: To Houki.
- Characterization Marches On: Nuriko is mostly established as a fun, sensible ally... so it's pretty strange to look back at the early incident where he almost let Miaka drown in a pond out of psychotic jealousy over Hotohori.
- More than letting her drown, he was hoping to make her look like a fool in front of Hotohori. Miaka proved him wrong and even slapped him for that, then brought him a small, cute pebble she found in the pond anyway. This proves to be quite the Humble Pie eating moment, and from then on Nuriko shapes up into the character we know and love.
- Cute Bruiser
- Dead Person Impersonation
- A Death in the Limelight
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Important Haircut
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Jerkass: At first towards Miaka at the start of the manga and anime when he assumed Miaka will ruin his plan of falling in love with Hotohori unaware and begins to treat her badly even worse he attempted to have her drowned, it didn't work and Miaka tells him off by smacking him in the face and gives him a pebble as a gift of kindness and he evolves into the 'Jerk with a Heart of Gold'.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After Miaka treats him with kindness, he becomes this as he decided to help Miaka return to her world and once she comes back, he helps her once again in searching for the other Suzaku warriors proving he's loyal to his friends despite mocking Miaka in a childish way and having bit of a bad temper.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Love Makes You Crazy: His earliest behavior towards Miaka.
- My Sibling Will Live Through Me: His crossdressing is a way for his dead sister to live through him.
- Personality Powers: A subversion. Nuriko takes pride in extremely ladylike behavior, but exhibits super strength.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: In series, but especially in the Eikoden OVA, where he is reincarnated as a Moe little girl with Super Strength.
- Sacrificial Lion: First member of the main cast to bite it.
- Stupid Sacrifice: And in the end, it didn't accomplish a lot.
- Super Strength
- Took a Level in Kindness: After Miaka gives him a Humble Pie he begins to treat Miaka nicely while not above insulting her in a playful way.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: How Miaka finds out his gender. Also, a Crowning Moment of Funny.
- Wholesome Crossdresser
Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki (Japanese), Kappei Yamaguchi (Japanese, CD Dramas), Kouki Miyata (Suzaku Ibun game), Stephen Apostolina (English)
- The Atoner
- Attractive Bent-Gender: In the manga.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was involved in a Love Triangle. It ended badly.
- Eyes Always Shut: Subverted. It's actually just a mask.
- Eye Scream: Subjected to this in the past when he tried to rescue his best friend from drowning as a tree trunk stabbed him in his left eye.
- Hidden Depths
- Holding Back the Phlebotinum: His ability to shapeshift is rarely put to offensive use against Seiryuu.
- Kill Us Both: He attempts this in the second OVA, but survives.
- Kung-Fu Wizard
- Let's Get Dangerous!: He's almost always easygoing and kind. Pray to the Four Gods if he's not joking.
- Mask Power
- My Greatest Failure: The deal with his old girlfriend and his friend.
- Nice Guy: Even though he wears his mask to appear cheerful, he's polite and respectful to everyone even his enemies.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: There is a very iconic moment in the series when he loses his cool, and unleashes the mother of Shaming the Mob speeches to a bunch of Kutou and Konan warriors Mitsukake just DIED to heal, as they were about to go at it again. They fall silent.
- Religious Bruiser
- Right-Hand Cat: After Mitsukake dies, he keeps the other's kitten.
- Scars Are Forever: One in his left eye.
- The Smart Guy
- Stepford Smiler: Behind his mask with a scar covering his entire left eye and half of his nose bridge which he got attempting to rescue his best friend.
- This Is Unforgivable!
- Unstoppable Rage: Occurred in his backstory.
- Verbal Tic
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
- Warrior Monk
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Nobutoshi Canna (Japanese TV series), Kazuki Yao (Japanese, radio dramas), Kosuke Toriumi (Suzaku Ibun game), Daran Norris (English)
- Badass Longcoat
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Calling Your Attacks
- Combat Pragmatist: His first line of attack is a fan that shoots fire, and he's not above combining it with a Dynamic Entry. Nor is he above taking hostages, or attacking while his opponent is talking or otherwise distracted. On the rare occasion he's put Honor Before Reason, he explicitly regrets it.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Driven to Suicide: After being Brainwashed and Crazy and attempting to force himself on Miaka.
- Fiery Redhead
- He-Man Woman Hater: Due to his five very short-tempered older sisters.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kouji... or not, depending on your interpretation.
- The Idiot from Osaka
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Way more jerkish than Tamahome and Nuriko as he tends to be rudely insensitive and fights with Tamahome still he strongly values friendship as he cries in mourning for Nuriko, Chiriko, Mitsukake and Hotohori's death.
- Kansai Regional Accent
- Kill It with Fire
- Manly Tears: Although he is hotheaded, he's capable of doing this when he experiences anyone closes to him dies.
- The Lancer
- Loveable Rogue
- Near-Rape Experience: Poor Miaka...
- Paper Fan of Doom
- Personality Powers
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Very little actual banditry is seen from the Mount Reikaku thieves. Despite being their leader, Tasuki himself is rarely, if ever, shown actually committing theft.
- Raised by Wolves
- Rebel Leader: In his case, Bandit Leader.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Tamahome's Blue Oni.
- Talk to the Fist
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Tamahome as they insult each other.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Or in his case, water.
- You Shall Not Pass
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii (Japanese), Jurota Kosugi (Japanese, CD Drama), Kenta Miyake (Suzaku Ibun game), Richard Epcar (English)
- Attractive Bent-Gender: HELL NO. Notable, in that he is the only guy in the Suzakuu group to not be able to pull this off.
- Beautiful All Along: We met him as a man in rags and with Perma-Stubble...
- The Big Guy
- Cast from Hit Points: His powers can only be used once a day, and even then he's left very drained. The time he uses them twice, he dies.
- Deadpan Snarker: "The Emperor is rather popular..."
- Gentle Giant
- Healing Hands
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrificed his entire life force to save everyone in war-ravaged Konan even the Kutou soldiers when he met a woman with her baby also named Shouka, who was close to death.
- Hospital Hottie
- The Lost Lenore
- The Medic
- My Greatest Failure: Failed to save his girlfriend and fellow healer, Shouka. She Came Back Wrong.
- Personality Powers
- Right-Hand Cat: Tama-chan.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Worf Effect
Voiced by: Tomoko Kawakaminote (Japanese, Tv series), Minami Takayama (Japanese, radio dramas), Akiko Kimura (Suzaku Ibun game), Lenore Zann (English)
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Heroic Suicide: Since he couldn't expel Miboshi from his body, he took a third option and offed himself.
- Innocent Prodigy
- Older Than They Look: Is in fact 13, but looks like about seven.
- Shrinking Violet: His true personality when his celestial powers are off.
- The Sixth Ranger
- Tagalong Kid
- Teen Genius: When his celestial powers are on, that is.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: His celestial power.
Voiced by: Toru Furusawa (Japanese, TV series), Ryotaro Okiayu (Japanese, radio dramas), Daran Norris (English)
- Ass Kicking Equals Authority: And eventually the other way around.
- Badass Cape
- Big Bad
- The Chessmaster
- Coitus Uninterruptus: Suboshi walks in on him having sex with Soi at one point. Nakago isn't the least bit bothered.
- Is also on the receiving end, when he goes to talk to the emperor, who is in bed with 3 concubines.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Depraved Bisexual: Has Soi as his lover. Also kisses Yui. Is fixated on Tamahome and even gives him a Forceful Kiss.
- Deus Sex Machina: Having sex with Soi heals his injuries and recharges his chi.
- The Dog Bites Back: Although perhaps not in the way you'd think. After serving the Emperor of Kutou for most of the series—the same Emperor who had incidentally wiped out his tribe and sexually abused him as a child—Nakago finally rises up, stages a coup, and murders him.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Tomo is in love with him.
- Evil Gloating
- Four-Star Badass: Is the general of the Kutou Army.
- Freudian Excuse: One that's revealed at the very last minute, right as he's dying.
- Hero Killer
- Love Epiphany: For Soi when she died protecting him. If him carrying around her corpse from the battlefield in Kounan back to the palace in Kutou is any indication.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The former general of the Kutou army, Kouyuu Gi, is actually his Disappeared Dad. Nakago finds this out too late and kills Kouyuu, apparently to get a Klingon Promotion.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Pet the Dog: In Soi's flashback, when he saved her from being abused by her pimp.
- Rape as Backstory: Part of his Freudian Excuse.
- Self-Made Orphan: As a child, he accidentally killed his mom when he tried to save her from her rapists, since he couldn't control his newly awakened powers. As an adult, he kills the Shogun of Kutou to get his rank... and later finds out he's his Disappeared Dad.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Voiced by: Yuji Ueda (Japanese, TV series), Tetsuya Iwanaga (Japanese, radio dramas), Steve Staley (English)
- Heel–Face Turn: While one of the least evil enemies, coming in contact with Miaka helps him pull this.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Has some feelings for Miaka when amnesiac, but it goes nowhere. Not to mention, said thoughts seemed to be fueled by his adoptive parents's belief that they'd make a decent couple rather than his own feelings.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- The Mole
- Morality Chain: With him around, Suboshi was kind of a Jerk Ass. When Suboshi thought he was dead... all he needed was a push from Nakago to fly off the deep end and kill Tamahome's family in revenge.
- Musical Assassin
- Parental Abandonment: His and Suboshi's parents died in the war.
- Promotion to Parent: He was the older twin, so he had to help Suboshi survive.
- Redemption Equals Life
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Suboshi's Red Oni.
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Twin Telepathy
- Twincest: Him and Suboshi give quite the vibes, and it's NOT helped by Suboshi giving him an Intimate Healing. And definitely not helped by Miaka's thoughts during that episode either...
Voiced by: Yuji Ueda (Japanese, TV series), Tetsuya Iwanaga (Japanese, radio dramas), Steve Staley (English)
- Accidental Pervert: Saw the Deus Sex Machina in action. Whoops.
- Angsty Surviving Twin
- Big Damn Heroes: Despite being a villain, he pulls off a pretty good one for Amiboshi.
- Blood Knight
- Bodyguard Crush: On Yui.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crosses the first when he loses Amiboshi and believes he's dead, which sends him into a mental breakdown and he kills Tamahome's family as revenge, believing him to be Amiboshi's killer.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Tomo makes the very, very, very stupid mistake of trying to kill Amiboshi. Suboshi proceeds to put the "killer" in Killer Yoyo.
- Freudian Excuse: His parents's deaths in the middle of the war, Amiboshi's loss, being repeteadly rejected by Yui whom he adores, etc.
- Intimate Healing: His notorious kiss with Amiboshi.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: His brother.
- Karmic Death: Died when hit by his own Killer Yoyo. Even more so if you believe that he truly was held in place by the souls of Tamahome's siblings, whom he killed in his Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Parental Abandonment
- Rape and Revenge: Tries to rape Miaka in order to avenge Yui's rape, which Yui blames Miaka for.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After he believes his beloved older brother is dead, which leads him to cross the MEH horrifically.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Amiboshi's Blue Oni.
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Twin Telepathy
- Would Hurt a Child: He killed Tamahome's siblings.
- Yandere: For Yui and for his brother.
Voiced by: Ryuzaburo Otomo (Japanese), Selece Zan (English)
- The Brute
- I'm a Humanitarian: His favorite meal is beautiful young virgins.
- I Owe You My Life: To Nakago.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: He starts out as a hulking, rather wolfish humanoid. After his death, he resurrects in the form of a wolf.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness
Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka (Japanese), Melodee Spevack (English)
- Anti-Villain: One of the most sympathetic Seiryuu Seishi, she specifically says she doesn't have anything against Miaka and Co. but must fight them anyway for Nakago.
- The Baroness
- Broken Bird
- Coitus Uninterruptus
- Dark Action Girl: Her fighting skills are nothing to sneeze at.
- Deus Sex Machina
- The Dragon
- Femme Fatale
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold
- Love Makes You Evil: If only Nakago had not been her savior...
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Nakago after he saved her, years ago, from being raped.
- She's Got Legs
- Shock and Awe
- Statuesque Stunner
- Taking the Bullet
- Undying Loyalty
- Villain's Dying Grace: Sacrifices her life to save Nakago's when the latter is distracted and doesn't notice an oncoming strike.
Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita (Japanese), Dougary Grant (English)
- Badass Gay
- Camp Gay
- Depraved Homosexual
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Evil Genius
- Evil Laugh
- Facial Markings
- Master of Illusion
- Nice Hat
- Smug Snake
- Triang Relations: Him, Soi, and Nakago.
Voiced by: Midori Nakazawa (Japanese), Barbara Goodson (English)
- Ascended Extra: Might become one in Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Ibun.
- Bald of Evil: Though the first chapter of Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Ibun reveals that he used to be a Two-Faced Long-Haired Pretty Boy.
- Creepy Child: Subverted. The reader sees him at the start of Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Ibun as a handsome adult man, and as far as the narrative shows this seems to be his original body rather than the child one seen in Fushigi Yuugi.
- Demonic Possession - Grand Theft Me: Two of his powers. He can also use magic to render someone else mute.
- The Reveal: The first chapter of Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Ibun shows several things about his past. His name is birth Raneisei, he used the alias "Nirusha", and he used to be a kind person who helped an abused little girl named Reipin/Neiran to discover her origins and her inner strength. How much of this former kindness is fully true and how much is a facade is still unknown, but the first chapter implies that he did start as a silent but kind guy and then got rotten somewhere along the way.
- Tag Along Kid
- Would Hurt a Child: Prefers to possess children, because it's easier to overtake their small bodies and innocent souls. His known victims include an unnamed young Buddhist monk/monk-in-training, and Chiriko.
Genbu Warriors (Fushigi Yuugi Only)
NOTE: This place only lists the warriors and tropes shown in this part of the story. For those who wish to understand them further, please visit Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden.
General Tropes for both Hikitsu and Tomite
- All There in the Manual: Regarding the location of their celestial marks, basic profiles, and basic cause of death.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Half of the credits goes to them being Dead to Begin With.
- An Ice Person: Hikitsu likes to form his ice into snakes to do range attacks, while Tomite shoots with ice arrows and forms deadly ice discs to strain an enemy to slowly cut them in half.
- Just Toying with Them: And they never showed anyone their true colors, one bit.
- Manly Tears: They shed them once they've fulfilled their duties.
- Small Role, Big Impact: While they were originally meant to be one-time characters, it's their no-nonsense, undyingly loyal personalities, and frightful badassery that shuns even The Big Bad Nakago to back out in directly assaulting them is what caught the attention of every reader. Which ultimately triggered their prequel. Even Hikitsu's VA lampshades this to Tamahome's VA during their recording.Nobuyuki Hiyama: "Guest characters ass-kicking the main heroes, is that even legal?"
- Those Two Guys
- Undying Loyalty: To their Priestess of Genbu, and their duties as Celestial Warriors.
- Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama (Japanese)
- Eyepatch of Power: He wears one on his right eye, in which no reader nor anime audience would ever know the story behind it. Word of God once warned, "Whoever sees his eye will see Hell."
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Iwanaga (Japanese)
- Ambiguously Brown: The anime gave him this, which is very awkward. The Genbu Kaiden franchise fixed him over though, but then again...it just further stresses the factor that "there's no way he can possibly get a tan given his circumstance."
- The Archer
- Jerkass Façade
- The Stoic: Compare to Hikitsu, it's clear that Tomite is straight out unsympathetic towards anyone other than his own fellow teammate.
Voiced by: Mika Doi
- Action Girl: In her prime and when she reverts her own age and Tokaki's during the Suzaku-Seiryuu Era.
- Battle Couple: With Tokaki.
- I Was Quite a Looker: She was a very cute elder lady, but as the picture shows, she was SMOKING HOT in her prime. And since her power revolves about time, she can temporarily revert to the white-haired girl she was when young!
- Never Mess with Granny: In her elder years.
- Time Master: Her Seishi power, strong enough to keep Tatara's body as young and strong as in his prime for decades. As long as he doesn't either overuse his powers or step away from the place she casted the spell in. Which he doesn't mind since having to stay put in the resting place of the Shinzaho helps him a lot to guard it 24/7.
- What Does She See in Him?: She and Tokaki. It's stated that he actually met little Tamahome when Subaru kicked him out of home and he had to become a traveller by force.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A sweet and loving wife, she can still keep her lecherous husband in line and won't hesitate to tell him when he's wrong. That, and she's very devoted to both her family and her beliefs as an ex Seishi.
- Badass Grandpa: In his elder years.
- Battle Couple: With Subaru.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: When young, as seen in the picture.
- Dirty Old Man: Played for Laughs mostly, except in the backstory. The exact reason why he was kicked out of home for a while is that Subaru got fed up with is lechery.
- I Was Quite a Looker: He was a white-haired Pretty Boy in his youth. Until Subaru uses her magic on him too.
- Old Master
- Shipping Torpedo: He did not support Tamahome and Miaka's love and made it clear. It was a Jerk Ass Facade though, as he and Subaru knew well what happened to Suzuno and Tatara and tried to prevent it from happening again.
- Teleporters and Transporters: His Seishi power.
Voiced by: Jin Yamanoi
- Bodyguard Crush: On Suzuno.
- Combat Tentacles: Can use roots and vines this way.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: In those of his old friend and fellow Seishi Tokaki.
- Green Thumb: His Seishi power.
- Longhaired Prettyboy
- Older Than They Look: It looks like he's in his late teens/mid 20's although he's around the same age as Tokaki and Subaru. This is mostly because Subaru, the local Time Master, put a spell on him so he'd be able to protect the Shinzaho; according to Word of God, this happened when he actually was 17/18.
- Snow Means Death, Star-Crossed Lovers, and Together in Death: With Suzuno. Sniff.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
From the Book
Voiced by: Hisako Kyoda
- Big Good: The closest to a God in this place, aside of the Four Gods themselves.
- Cool Old Lady: Her chosen form in the original series, though she was seen in that of a male child in Genbu Kaiden.
- Physical God
- Old Master
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: On one hand she's among those who send the Nyan-Nyans flying when they screw up, and has hit Miaka upside the head at least once. On the other, it's not like she's less harsh to guys: she's also seen beating up Tamahome and Hotohori for being rude to her.
Voiced by: Kyoko Hikami
- A Twinkle in the Sky: "Aiyaaaaa!"
- Butt Monkeys: Any time they show up, they goof up in some way...
- Catch Phrase: "Let's help, help!" "Let's heal, heal!" "Aiyaaaaa!"
- Grand Theft Me: Can be used as temporary vessels for disembodied souls with unfinished business.
- Healing Hands: One of their more useful powers
- Kawaiiko: So cuuuuuute!
- Physical God: As the aides of Taiitsukun
- Really 700 Years Old: As goddesses, they don't age, but they usually look like little girls.
- Saying Too Much: The main reason why they get hit (mostly by Taiitsukun) is because they can't seem to keep their mouths shut.Nyanyan: (to Nuriko) "Let me heal you!"
Nuriko: "Thank you, but I'm not hurt..."
Nyanyan: "I'll heal your perversion!"
Nuriko: (punches the offending Nyanyan into the stratosphere)
- She Is All Grown Up: Normally appear as cute little girls, but make a brief appearance as beautiful women towards the end.
- Also, in the second OVA, one appears as a young teenager rather than a young child.
Tamahome's family (Tamahome's father and siblings: brothers Chuuei and Shinkei, sisters Gyokuran and Yuiren)
- The Cutie: Yuiren.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Yuiren holds on enough to die in Tamahome's arms..
- Good Parents: Tamahome's dad is a very sweet man and does his best to be there for him, nevermind his terrible health.
- Ill Boy: Tamahome's kind-hearted widowed father is severely ill, which is why Tamahome works so hard to mantain them. He's even seen apologizing to Tamahome for this unofficial Promotion to Parent.
- Kill the Cutie: Yuiren dies along with her father, older sister and her two brothers.
- Missing Mom: She died giving birth to Yuiren.
- Sacrificial Lamb and Stuffed into the Fridge: All of them.
- Strong Family Resemblance: If Chuuei lets his hair down, he looks like a younger Tamahome.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth
Voiced by: Chika Sakamoto
- Ascended Extra: Didn't have much development in the series or manga, but Suzaku Hi Den gave more insight into her past and personality.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Averted! She was a pretty decent empress dowager and regent.
- Go Through Me: She stands in between Hotohori and her Unlucky Childhood Friend Shuu Tendou to keep them from duelling.
- Hot Consort: Of Hotohori.
- Identical Stranger: Looks suspiciously like Nuriko. Enough to momentarily fool the rest of the Suzaku warriors into thinking she's his ghost or his reincarnation... until Miaka hugs her and feels her breasts.
- Nice Girl: A very kind and soft-spoken person.
- Rags to Riches: She actually was from a very poor family, but was taken into the court due to her extreme beauty. She wasn't too keen on it, but accepted to help her family out.
- Shrinking Violet: With purple hair to match.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She looks the part of a Japanese lady; beautiful, soft-spoken, traditional clothing etc. She's not lacking for inner iron either, specially as the Empress Dowager.
Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama
- Bishounen: It runs in the family.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Hotohori's Abel.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: To Houki. One of his fatal flaws.
- Died Inyour Arms Tonight: Both Hotohori and Houki held him as he died.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Envied Hotohori like Hell not just for Houki, but also because he should be the Emperor of Konan. It became his biggest Fatal Flaw, as it left him open to be manipulated...
- Hidden Back Up Prince: Tendou was the actual Crown Prince, and Hotohori's Gold Digger mother Motaiko wanted him dead. His and Hotohori's father, The Emperor, sent Tendou away with the intention of retrieving him when everything had cooled off... but that never happened. As a result Hotohori ascended to the throne that should have been Tendou's, and Tendou himself was stuck as a commoner.
- Hot-Blooded: Another Fatal Flaw.
- Posthumous Character
- Unlucky Childhood Friend For Houki.
- Walking Spoiler: The man only shows up in Suzaku Hi Den, so his in-story role can't be fully revealed without tossing in lots of info about the novel/OAV's plot as a whole.
Voiced by: Chika Sakamoto (Japanese)
- The Cutie
- Half-Identical Twins: Subverted, she and Nuriko were NOT twins (he was one year older), but were so similar in looks that people apparently thought they were twins.
- Kill the Cutie
- Ojou: Since her and Nuriko's family is a pretty rich one, she's the Spoiled Sweet type.
- Trampled Underfoot: She was trampled to death by a bunch of maddened horses. In front of Nuriko. YEOWCH.
Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (Japanese)
- Big Brother Mentor: Subverted. Rokou was sickly and cowardly as a kid, so Nuriko protected him instead.
- Broken Bird: Male example, as the death of his beloved brother Nuriko has affected him greatly.
- Ill Boy
- Shrinking Violet
- Tragic Keepsake: A jewel ball belonging to his younger brother, Nuriko. He refuses to give it away to Miaka and Co. in the OAV since it's the only real memento he has of Nuriko, but with some help of Chiriko's and Nuriko's spirits they manage to convince him.
The Emperor of Kutou
Voiced by: Ryuji Mizuno (Japanese), John Smallberries (English)
- The Caligula
- Coitus Uninterruptus: Has no qualms about talking to Nakago while in bed with two or three concubines.
- Depraved Bisexual
- Dirty Old Man
- The Emperor
- Foil: To Hotohori; where Hotohori is handsome, young, chaste, and rules with kindness and fairness, the Emperor of Kutou is Hollywood Homely, old (relatively), lecherous, and rules with an iron fist.
- Shotacon: Kept Ayuru aka Nakago as an eleven-year-old Sex Slave
- The Dog Bites Back: Is killed by Nakago, the same guy whom he enslaved, molested and then made The Dragon.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Compare his looks to those of his concubines.
Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki (Japanese), Ethan Murray (English)
- Bash Brothers and Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Tasuki.
- Running Gag: "Knock knock!"
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Evil Matriarch
- Gold Digger
- Missing Mom: Motaiko died right after Hotohori became the Crown Prince.
- Stage Mom: She did everything to ensure that Hotohori, her son, would be appointed as heir.
Boushin a.k.a Emperor Reizeitei
Voiced by: Akiko Yajima
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Formally ascended to the throne before he turned 10 years old. Though technically speaking, he was already Emperor since his father Hotohori died before he was born.
- The Cutie
- Cute Mute: His first words? "Papa!".
- Cheerful Child
- He Is All Grown Up: Sorta. We meet Boushin as a baby◊, then get to see him as a pre-teen◊.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gains a Crowning Momentof Awesome by telling Mayo to shut it and stop lying about Miaka.
- The Wise Prince
From The Suzaku Ibun Game
General tropes for Madoka Ootori and Misaki Himuro
- Expy: Of Miaka and Yui. Though Misaki is not taken back to Japan after she and Madoka get swallowed inside the book.
- Sailor Fuku: Madoka and Misaki's school uniforms look like Western ones, but the collars look a lot like those of a seifuku.
- She Cleans Up Nicely:
- Madoka, as the Player Character who becomes the Suzaku no Miko, looks really nice in the Miko robes that Miaka wore in the manga/series. She also looks super cute when she wears normal Chinese robes in the "Staying Behind" endings, or when she's in a Western wedding gown in Mitsukake's "Reincarnation Ending".
- Misaki is also seen in really nice clothes when, just like Yui, she's appointed as the Seiryuu no Miko.
The protagonist of the Suzaku Ibun game, she finds herself lost in the Universe of the Four Gods with her friend Misaki. After Tamahome rescues her from some thugs and helps her escape after she was imprisoned, she learns that Misaki has disappeared. Madoka agrees to become the priestess of Suzaku to find her friend and return home.
- Always Save the Girl: Madoka's main goal is getting Misaki back no matter what.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: The normally short-haired Madoka is seen with far longer hair in Nuriko's Reincarnation Ending.
- Expy: Of Miaka, in terms of disliking studying and being lazy about it, being rescued by Tamahome and becoming the priestess of Suzaku. She does adapt quite faster to her Suzaku no Miko role.
- Fix Fic: The player can sorta pull this through Madoka, since depending on their actions they can make her prevent the deaths of the Suzaku Senshi who kick in in the original (Nuriko and Chiriko included) or keep Amiboshi from falling into the river...
- Foreshadowing: Madoka's uniform's collar and ribbon is red, indicating her becoming the priestess of Suzaku.
- Hair Decorations: Madoka has tiny braids, sometimes spiced up with just-as-small red ribbons.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: She and Misaki are best friends and Tamahome even lampshades that they seem more like sisters to each other than friends.
- Lap Pillow: She can do this to Chiriko, but only if the player does NOT manage to save him.
- Meaningful Name: Her last name is spelled with the kanji for Female Phoenix. Ootori means Big Bird.
- Psychic Powers: She has an ability known as Danger/Death Perception, which is basically a sort-of Spider-Sense that lets her sense when her loved ones are threatened.
- Multiple Endings: This being basically a Dating Sim, the players can give Madoka more than one ending. This includes: "Normal Ending" (few love points with anyone), "Friendship Ending" (Misaki has the most points), Disappointing Love Ending (Madoka gets a guy to love her but must go back home without him since their love points aren't enough), "Reincarnation Ending" (Madoka has enough points with her beau to get him to be reincarnated a la Taka Sukunami), and "Staying Behind Ending" (if the player unlocks a certain scene and also gets Madoka enough love points with a boyfriend, one can choose between the Reincarnation Ending and a new one where she stays in the Book with her beloved).
- Player Character: Madoka, as the girl who takes Miaka's "place" in the Suzaku Ibun game.
- Shower of Awkward: A sort-of Running Gag that happens once per route is having Madoka trying to take a bath and then seeing one of the guys naked. Including Nuriko, excluding Chiriko.
- Your Universe or Mine?: If she has enough affection with a Suzaku Warrior, she can ask Suzaku to either have the warrior be reborn into her world or that she can remain with him in the Universe of the Four Gods. It's easier said than done, however.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Madoka is a Grade A, when in her school uniform.
The antagonistic priestess of the Suzaku Ibun game, she's best friends with Madoka. When the two are studying, Madoka finds the Universe of the Four Gods and both find themselves in Kounan. When some thugs try to pick them up, Misaki tells Madoka to run away by herself and Misaki will bait them to help her. After Tamahome helps her get away from the thugs, Misaki gets taken by some men to Kutou, where she becomes the priestess of Seiryu.
- Expy: Of Yui. She's best friends with Madoka, both land in Kounan at the same time and get rescued by Tamahome. Misaki eventually becomes the priestess of Seiryu and Madoka's enemy.
- Foreshadowing: Her becoming the priestess of Seiryu is foreshadowed in her uniform, which is identical to Madoka's, except her collar and ribbon are blue.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: She and Madoka are best friends and Tamahome even lampshades that they seem more like sisters to each other than friends.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Misaki has long hair, contrasting with Yui's boyish haircut as well as Madoka's own.