Characters: First King of Shannara
Allanon's father, and the man responsible for the creation of the Sword of Shannara in the first place, Bremen is an elderly Druid who becomes aware of Brona's threat before the other Druids. When the Druid Council will not listen to him
, Bremen leaves Paranor in disgust, deciding to take matters into his own hands.
A Dwarven Warrior Druid, and one of Bremen's closest friends. Bremen sends him to gather the Dwarves against Brona's threat.
Bremen's other ally among the Dwarves of Paranor, Tay is an Elven Druid, whose studies focused mostly on the elements. A close friend of Jerle Shananra, Bremen sends him to warn the Elf King about Brona, and obtain the Black Elfstone.
A young Druid-in-training, she ends up traveling with Bremen, Risca, and Kinson Ravenlock after the fall of Paranor, aiding in rallying the Dwarves to the cause against Brona, as well as obtaining the aid of Urprox Screl in the forging of the Sword of Shannara and, though it isn't clear at the time, helping him locate his successor in the form of Allanon.
- Action Girl: Not as much as other Brooks heroines thanks to her Dark and Troubled Past, emo-ness, and the dangers of truly unleashing her magic, but she qualifies thanks to the battles she engages in—including the final one with Brona's forces, which nearly annihilates the Dwarves, kills Risca of all people, and almost kills Kinson...but of which she's the only survivor other than Jerle and Bremen.
- Angst: Boatloads
- Badass: Mareth is one badass Emo Teen.
- Boom Stick: Courtesy of Bremen. It lets her channel her magic without hurting herself.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Disappeared Dad: Source of much angst...especially when she finds out who he might actually be.
- Emo Teen: At times; not that she doesn't have her reasons.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: If that Skull Bearer was telling the truth...
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Played with. During the course of the journey she is told by a man claiming to be her father that the innate, nearly out-of-control magic she possesses was inherited from him—a Skull Bearer. She has the appropriate reaction, and almost succumbs to a Heroic BSOD until Kinson Ravenlock snaps her out of it. In the end, it is never revealed if this was actually the truth, or part of a trap by the Genre Savvy Warlock Lord to ensnare her powerful magic through her longing for her Disappeared Dad; however, Bremen had told already her that he believed her father was most likely a creature of the Warlock Lord in disguise, given her story about her disturbed mother being seduced by a strange man and the fact that she was born with magic.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Initially she believes that Bremen is her dad.
- Power Incontinence: Her main issue throughout the book, solved only when she is given a staff by Bremen to channel it and later when she deals with her issues regarding her parentage.
- Take Up My Sword: Averted when, after the final battle, rather than being the last of the Druids she throws away her staff and chooses to have a normal life with Kinson.
- White Magician Girl: Invokes this appearance wise, but that staff is for a heck of a lot more than healing.
The ultimate grandfather to the whole Shannara line, Jerle makes his first real appearance in this book. Promoted to the kingship when the rest of his relatives are slaughtered, he accompanies his friend Tay on the hunt for the Black Elfstone
and is later chosen by Bremen to wield the Sword of Shannara against the Warlock Lord.
Warrior, bodyguard, and Tracker who travels with Bremen, first to the Skull Kingdom, then to Paranor, and finally on a journey to rally the Dwarves and help forge the Sword of Shannara. Falls in love with Mareth and ends up founding the city of Kern. Ancestor of Shirl Ravenlock.