Characters: Final Fantasy XV
The characters of Final Fantasy XV.
open/close all folders
Noctis "Noct" Lucis Caelum
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just look around. It's undeniable."The main character, Crown Prince of Lucis who is charged with defending his kingdom and its crystal. He draws on the power of the crystal to wield an arsenal of supernatural weapons and teleport. Has a strong friendship with his True Companions.
Voiced by: Tatsuhisa Suzuki
- American Kirby Is Hardcore: Surprisingly, there's a very large gap between the way his character is portrayed by his English voice actor compared to his Japanese voice actor. In English, Noctis seems more moody, dark, and sarcastic, whereas in Japanese, he's a lot more playful.
- Badass: Dear God, yes. Despite only a few trailer appearances, he easily ranks among the series' finest.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Damn Noctis looks good in a suit.
- Beneath the Mask: Tetsuya Nomura notes that Noctis is not actually very cool but a bit shy and quirky.
- Bishōnen: He's a FF protagonist, this was kind of a given.
- Combination Attack: Noctis can do them with his buddies, including the classic X-Strike with Ignis.
- Combos: Noctis's basic attacks work in them in the order of Crush, Ravage then Vanquish. Different weapons can be assigned to each slot, which can change the pattern of the combo completely.
- Cool Car: Gets chauffeured around in a souped up luxury car called the Regalia.
- Cool Sword: His Phantom Swords, ghostly blades summoned through magic that can be used to teleport Noctis around an area, shield him from harm, and attack enemies independently.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's dark-haired, wears all black and talks about death. And a sweet guy.
- Deadpan Snarker: In Episode Duscae Noctis can be very sarcastic at times.
- Deflector Shields: His Flying Weapons act this way for him with his Armiger ability.
- Dissonant Serenity: So far he's stayed perfectly calm and straight-faced during his battles.
- Elemental Powers: He gives his companions power over the elements as long as he's in the party.
- Flash Step: Noctis's defend command is teleporting out of the way and thus drains MP when used; Noctis can also warp offensively to attack and strategically by teleporting to a sword thrown to a high vantage point.
- Flying Weapon: Can control his weapons telepathically with the Armiger Arsenal ability. It's said that this ability is a Secret Art passed down by the royal family and the high council of Lucis.
- Badass Baritone: Oddly enough, his voice in the English version is rather deep and gravelly, if young-sounding, to the point some have compared him to a teenage Batman.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Originally Noctis's hair was rendered as black with a silvery-blue tint, but it was later changed to a more natural brown tint. Depending on the atmosphere of the scene, it can be rendered either way, though overall, it still seems to be black.
- Hairstyle Inertia: As a flashback to his childhood reveals, Noctis hasn't changed his haircut since he was a child
- Hyperspace Arsenal: A justified one, no less.
- Immune to Bullets: Noctis's Flying Weapons make him thus. And immune to explosions. In cutscenes that is. In game, it's entirely up to you.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes
- I See Dead People: A variant; Noctis can see the lights of the dead leaving for Etro's Gate because of a Near-Death Experience that he and Stella apparently shared.
- Limit Break: Armiger Arsenal, which summons weapons known as Phantom Swords that will protect him and attack enemies.
- Leeroy Jenkins: While he's normally putting up a facade of being calm and level-headed, he gets awfully confident once his powers kick in. His gang more or less help keep him in line.
- Living Battery: In order to use magic, Noctis's party must be near him because he is the one who grants them the power.
- The Mafia or Yakuza: What his family seem to be representing, though they just operate in a similar manner. Somehow, despite being the royal family.
- Meaningful Name: It's probably meant to be "light of the night sky." Too bad they butchered the Latin.
- Mr. Fanservice: Due to not only being attractive but also having roughly 95% of screentime dedicated to him so far, including the lovingly-crafted suit scenes.
- Multi-Melee Master/Multi-Ranged Master: Noctis can wield a multitude Swords, Great Swords and Spears and depending on which order the weapons are placed in, Noctis will attack differently.
- Javelin Thrower: Throwing his spear is a combo finisher Noctis can do when equipped with a lance for his Vanquish slot.
- One-Man Army/Curb-Stomp Battle: Noctis: 1, Platoon: 0
- Public Domain Artifact: All of Noctis's Phantom Swords are theme named after weapons wielded by King Arthur and his knights of the round table.
- Perky Goth: Despite his moody demeanor and love of black clothing, he's apparently fun-loving and friendly and just tries to look cool.
- Rebellious Prince: Noctis isn't a fan of the strict rules the kingdom imposes on him and often gets into trouble by breaking them.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Nomura said in this interview that Noctisís eyes become red when he uses his warp ability. They also take on an eldritch purple glow when he learns to use the Ramuh summon.
- Revenge: Noctis's motivation is this, after his kingdom is invaded by those who seek the power of its crystal.
- Sleepyhead: From the trailers, it seems he can fall asleep just about anywhere (in his car, on his throne, leaning on a fence), and has done so in every one of his appearances.
- Slouch of Villainy: And he's the hero.
- Star Power: Noctis's Archaeans are stars.
- Storm of Blades: Noctis's signature ability is the Armiger Arsenal, when many swords and spears float around him and act as shields, attacking enemies of their own accord.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Noctis's frequently throws one of his Phantom Swords in combos, and always land point end first.
- Teleport Spam: He can instantly teleport to the location of any weapon he has thrown. Additionally, he has short-range rapid teleport abilities in close-quarters combat, serving as a dodge mechanic exclusive to him.
- Warrior Prince
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: The gender-inversion. He feels he has to look and act serious publicly because of his duty.
Ignis "Iggy" Stupeo Scientia
"Of course not. Sabotage is far beyond you."Noctis's adviser and consultant who grew up with him and received a special education for gifted children to become his adviser.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He dresses the most formally of the buddies, complete with Conspicuous Gloves.
- Black Humor: Often enjoys making grim jokes at Prompto's expense.
- Child Prodigy: As a gifted child, he was given special schooling to make him the ideal consultant for Noctis.
- The Confidant: He acts like this for Noctis, who he understands better than anyone.
- The Consigliere: As Noct's unofficial number two and advisor.
- Devoted to You: Towards Noctis. In fact, he's so devoted that it almost sounds like he doesn't care about the other two sometimes.
- Fatal Flaw: Appears to be Pride. Although his plan to kill the Behemoth was excellent, he didn't bother planning an escape in case it failed.
- First Name Basis: In the English demo, he only refers to Noctis as "Highness", but in the Japanese version, he actually calls Noctis by his nickname.
- Flechette Storm: He can pull this off thanks to the Summon to Hand nature of weapons in the game.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: One of his attacks is to toss one of his knives in the air and spin kick it into an enemy.
- Knife Nut: Ignis's weapons are a pair of knives that he can switch to Reverse Grip during combos as well as hurl at enemies.
- Magic Knight: Ignis is the party member most focused on spellcasting both Black and White Magic outside Noctis himself.
- Meaningful Name: "Ignis" means fire, magic he seems to be partial to. "Stupeo" means amazed, and "scientia" means knowledge, befitting his status as The Smart Guy.
- Real Men Cook: Despite not being in his job description, Ignis apparently enjoys cooking and assumes the role as the party's cook whenever they make camp. As long as you provide him with ingredients bought from shops or gathered from the area, he can make some fabulous dishes. But if you run out of ingredients, be prepared to eat dry toast.
- The Reliable One: Almost any time Noctis takes a hit or is overwhelmed by the enemy, Ignis will rush over to guard him. If your HP is low, he'll also cure you as long as he's nearby. Battles aside, he seems like the one Noctis relies on for just about everything else as well.
- Sarcastic Devotee: His frequent sarcasm has some fearing that he may actually be a Treacherous Advisor in disguise. Recent trailers and the Duscae stinger, though, raise the possibility that instead he's a more like other Gideon Emery-voiced FF characters, and he's using the sarcasm more as a shield and prop for his own emotional turmoil over what's happened to Insomnia and the party.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: The only one of Noctis's gang who wears a suit.
- Spellblade: Comes with the Venom Strike ability as well as a fire enhanced attack.
- Stoic Spectacles: He is a tall, thin, handsome, and aloof intellectual.
- The Smart Guy: He was gifted enough to receive special education growing up, and Noctis apparently relies on him for strategies.
- Team Mom: Serves as this for the party.
Gladiolus "Gladio" Amicitia
"Rise and shine, Your Highness!"Noctis's closest friend and bodyguard.
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake
- Badass Baritone: Deepest voice out of all the playable cast so far, both in the English and Japanese versions.
- Badass Beard: Not a very long one, but still badass all the same.
- Big Brother Mentor: He even provides the combat tutorial in Episode Duscae.
- The Big Guy: Noticeably older and more muscular than the others, as well as the most experienced combatant.
- Blood Brothers: Said to be as close as a true brother with Noctis.
- Face of a Thug: Looks intimidating, but is actually quite friendly.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a hero-style scar over his eye.
- Meaningful Name: "Gladiolus" is a pun on the greatsword, and his last name means "friendship".
- Mighty Glacier: From what we've seen of him in the trailers and in Episode Duscae; he seems to employ slow, yet powerful attacks.
- Multi-Melee Master: He seems to specialize in the group's heavier weaponry.
- Praetorian Guard: Gladiolus is the eldest son from a long line of Royal Guards.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Why would you button up your shirt when you're so utterly ripped? His shirt can even be blown upwards by wind or his movements, completely revealing his upper body.
- Wrestler in All of Us: In one gameplay trailer, he is shown using a powerbomb.
"I would hate to be that guy! ...aww, come on, don't be that way! You know I didn't mean to do it!"A classmate of Noctis's and a frequent bad influence. He wields firearms to compensate his lack of experience in combat.
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- Action Survivor: Before the events of the game Prompto had never been in a fight at all.
- Bishōnen: He's very, very pretty.
- Casanova Wannabe: Said to be quite the skirt-chaser. Par for the course he tries to flirt with Cindy but she doesn't seem to pay him any mind.
- Cowardly Lion: He's often the first one to note if the party is in over their heads, and can show some signs of claustrophobia when moving through small spaces in a cave, but Prompto sticks with his friends through thick and thin.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: He has a patch entirely in black on his jacket that has some... surprising words.It's a beautiful day. Now watch some bastard fuck it up.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Including a leather Waistcoat of Style and Fingerless Gloves.
- The Klutz: Prompto often trips over himself while fighting due to his inexperience.
- The Lancer: Seems to have the personality - cheeky, sarcastic, a bit of a wild card.
- The Gunslinger: Prompto's weapons are firearms which he can use in a quick-draw manner.
- Meaningful Name: Roughly translates to "quick silver", befitting a gunman.
- No Sense of Personal Space: While the other men have yet to display any touchy-feely business, promotional material shows Prompto putting his arm round a surprised Noctis and leaping onto Gladio's back in celebration.
- Ship Tease: Prompto is very smitten with Cindy.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Implied to be this for Noctis, at least as far as other people are concerned.
- Youthful Freckles: Fitting since he behaves the least maturely out of the group.
The Kingdom of Lucis
Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII
"Take heed. Never bow out of what you begin. So long as you carry the blood royal, so long as you carry my name...carry your head high."King of Lucis and Noctis' father.
Voiced by: Tsutomu Isobe
- Badass Baritone: It gives him a fitting air of command and gravitas.
- Badass Beard: He has the same Armiger powers as Noctis after all.
- Father to His Men: In addition to being a pretty great dad to Noctis, he also cares deeply for his people and his staff in particular. As the picture quote reveals, despite his household cook perhaps not being the best, he wants to make sure the cook isn't fired over one bad dish.
- Flying Weapon: Wields the same Storm of Blades as Noctis does, too.
- Meaningful Name: Regis is Latin for "king".
- Parents in Distress: It seems that at one point he will be cornered by Idola, prompting Noct & co. to attempt a rescue mission. Whether this happens before or after the full invasion shown in the Episode Duscae stinger, and whether or not he's actually killed, remains to be seen.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: His suits are perhaps the sharpest in the entire game.
- Skunk Stripe: Has some white and grey streaks from aging.
"Do you want to know the truth?... It's complicated."Lord Commander of the Caelum family's Royal Guards.
Voiced by: Hiroki Tochi
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Explicitly called one of the three strongest fighters in Lucis.
- Guest Star Party Member: The finer details are still unknown, but it's been said that Cor only joins the party "as a guest."
- Katanas Are Just Better: The last we heard, he uses a katana.
- Living Legend: Described as such, due to his military prowess.
- Meaningful Name: Also a Mythology Gag. He isn't the series' first character to have "lion heart" in his name.
- Praetorian Guard: His job.
- The Red Baron: He is famed as the Immortal Shogun.
- Sergeant Rock: Harsh to Noctis and the others, but an honorable man nonetheless.
- Sixth Ranger: Is said to join the party a bit later in the game.
- The Stoic: What we've seen of him makes him seem fairly unflappable.
- Undying Loyalty: To Noctis and his father.
Empire of Niflheim
"It is high time we sever the line of Lucis once and for all."One of the game's central antagonists, the Emperor of the militarized state of Niflheim who is keenly interested in gaining control of the Lucis Crystal...and is willing to do virtually anything to get it, up to and including putting on a peace treaty signing as a pretense to enter Insomnia for invasion, drawing a weapon right on Regis at the ceremony, and laying waste to large parts of the Crown City and starting an enormous war just to secure the Crystal.
Voiced by: Shinji Ogawa
- The Emperor: Of the power-hungry military dictator variety.
- Evil Sounds Deep: In Japanese, at least, Aldercapt has the deepest voice by far.
- Evil Old Folks
- Expy: It hasn't escaped notice that he looks remarkably like the "Prime Minister" in Agni's Philosophy. Whether this is just clever asset re-use, if this actually has some meaning, or if it's pure coincidence hasn't been made clear.
- Man in White: He was literally only known as this until his name was revealed, due to his dress code.
- Intriguingly, his full outfit is white with red trim, and is very evocative of the traditional outfit of White Mages in Final Fantasy, complete with a hood (which has been down in all appearances to date). Exactly what this might mean, if anything, remains to be seen.
- Violence Is the Only Option: The peace treaty with Lucis over the last crystal ends with Idola pulling a handgun on Regis and triggering a full invasion of the kingdom.
The Hooded Man
"The world we purport to know is ever changing, ending as we speak. So it is and must be for all existence."A particularly mysterious individual seemingly aligned with Niflheim. He keeps his face hidden under his hood in all appearances to date, and has not yet been named, although the E3 2013 trailer in particular implies he's going to be a significant part of the plot (in no small part because his voice actor was involved in half of the reveal of the brand change).
Lunafreya "Luna" Nox Fleuret
"Don't worry about me. Live your own life."Daughter of the Fleuret family from Tenebrae, another former crystal-bearing nationnote . She seems to have known Noctis as a child, and traveled to Insomnia to attend the treaty-signing between Lucis and Niflheim. She's then caught in the middle of the invasion and is reported dead, but barely escapes with her life and travels to the city of Altissia to meet up with Noct and his friends, where she apparently has something for Noct...Perhaps the largest meta-point to note with Luna is that she's essentially a heavily re-imagined version of Stella Nox Fleuret, the original Anti-Villain female lead of Final Fantasy Versus XIII. The re-imagining came about during the game's rebranding, because the final development team couldn't seem to make sense of Stella's original character or make her work in the wider story. However, as Stella was posited as one of the game's antagonists and potentially as one of the most Badass women in the history of the franchise, the loss of Stella in favor of the (seemingly) much less combative Luna has caused... dissent, one might say. In the most recent interview, however, the creators have stated that Luna is not a Damsel in Distress but actually a much more strong-willed character than Stella was, with much more clearly defined goals and desires, and that the trailer footage of her in the aftermath of the attack isn't exactly representative.
- Childhood Friends: The E3 2013 trailer strongly implies that she and Noctis were this, even depicted Holding Hands. This is one of the fairly big departure points when compared to Stella, as the trailer that came with Advent Children, back in the "Versus era", has them speaking to each other as though they had just met.
- I See Dead People: Her predecessor could do this, and the motes of light around her in the TGS 2014 trailer are the visual cue for this ability in general. And if at least some of her backstory is the same as Stella's, the scene when she and Noct were children is probably a shared Near-Death Experience that led to both of them developing the ability. This still needs to be confirmed, however.
- Gaussian Girl: She's presented this way in the TGS 2014 trailer after the boys bring her up, complete with hazy motes of light around her; the entry image is from this scene.
- In-Series Nickname: A lot of the people who know her personally, including Noct and his friends, call her "Luna" instead of her full name of Lunafreya. She's also usually referred to as "Luna" by the development staff.
- Keigo: Completely contrasting with the way Noct and his friends talk, what we've heard of Luna is, like her predecessor, very formal and polite. She even calls Noct "Noctis-sama", even though they've apparently known each other since childhood!
- Meaningful Name: "Lunafreya" is a combination of the Latin word for moon and the goddess of the same name, "Nox" means night, while "Fleuret" refers to her predecessor's Weapon of Choice.
- Ojou: Still comes from a very wealthy family, just like her predecessor, and is usually shown as quite fancy and has known Noct for a long time. Her high-classness doesn't seem to help her much during the invasion of Insomnia, alas.
- Royal Rapier: Her last name is a reference to it, and it was her predecessor's Weapon of Choice. Time will tell if she takes up one herself, though she hasn't been shown fighting to date.
- Ship Tease: She's still associated heavily with Noctis (the 2013 reveal opened with them as children and some lines from her directed at him, in the "character line-up" she's directly across from him, et cetera) and is even referred to, in a teasing manner, as Noct's "date" at one point by Prompto.
- Stellar Name: Not quite literally Stella anymore, but "Luna" is still the Latin name for the moon.
- Woman in White: Shares this trait with her predecessor. We see her in a white dress in the TGS 2014 trailer (which is similar to one Stella used to wear in a now-removed scene in Versus), and in the 2013 reveal the little girl who is presumably also her is wearing a small white sundress. The Duscae stinger, though, is kind of savage to the trope and shows her usual dress blackened with soot and falling apart in the wake of the invasion of Insomnia.
"This one's on the house!"A young mechanic who maintains the party's vehicles, and the Lucis family's hot-rod, the Regalia, in particular.
- American Accents: In the English dub she speaks with a marked southern accent.
- Dub Name Change: While her name is Cidney in the Japanese version (to better keep in line with her being this game's Cid), her name has been changed to Cindy for English speaking versions... for what was thought initially to be "reasons", but turns out to be the fact that there's an actual Cid in the game, and the localization staff apparently thought "Cidney" was just this side of too punny for a major member of the supporting cast.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Inverted. She's a mechanic.
- Legacy Character: Cid has been an old man, a bishonen, a hunk, and finally a girl! Well, okay, there's also her as-yet-unseen dad who is "actually" Cid, but close enough.
- Rule 63: This is what many people assumed when they saw her, due the above.
- Ms. Fanservice: Cutscenes grace her with some very gracious camera angles which Gladiolus and Prompto clearly appreciate.
- Oblivious To Flirting: She keeps misinterpreting the guys' (blatant) attempts to hit on her for something... innocent. Much to their chagrin.
- Sexy Whatever Outfit: Her coveralls do not cover her at all.
- Stripperiffic: Her work uniform includes a bikini with matching thong, a cut off jacket, an oversized belt draped over short shorts, thigh high stockings and stripper boots.
- Wrench Wench: Complete with messy hair and motor grease stains.