Characters: Final Fantasy XV
The characters of Final Fantasy XV
open/close all folders
Noctis "Noct" Lucis Caelum
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just look around. It's undeniable."
The main character, prince of Lucis who is charged with defending his kingdom and its crystal. He draws on the power of the crystal to wield an arsenal of supernatural weapons and teleport. Has a strong friendship with his True Companions
- Anti-Hero: A friendly hero-type out to protect his home and friends, who also happens to be the heir to a family of crime lords.
- Badass: Dear god, yes. Despite only a few trailer appearances, he easily ranks among the series' finest.
- Beneath the Mask: Tetsuya Nomura notes that Noctis is not actually very cool but a bit shy and quirky.
- Bishōnen: He's a FF protagonist, this was kind of a given.
- Cool Car: Gets chauffeured around in one.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's the prince of a kingdom of darkness who wears all black and talks about death. And a sweet guy.
- Deflector Shields: His Flying Weapons act this way for him with his Linkform ability.
- Dissonant Serenity: So far he's stayed perfectly calm and straight-faced during his battles.
- Elemental Powers: He gives his companions power over the elements as long as he's in the party.
- Flash Step: Warping seems to be Noctis's signature way of attacking alongside his Flying Weapons.
- Flying Weapon: Can control his weapons telepathically with the Linkform ability. It's said that this ability is a Secret Art passed down by the royal family and the high council of Lucis.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: His engine sword seems to be his signature weapon.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Originally Noctis's hair was rendered as black with a silvery-blue tint, but it was later changed to a more natural brown tint. Depending on the atmosphere of the scene, it can be rendered either way, though overall, it still seems to be black.
- Hairstyle Inertia
- Hyperspace Arsenal: A justified one, no less.
- Immune to Bullets: Noctis's Flying Weapons make him thus. And immune to explosions. In cutscenes that is. In game, it's entirely up to you.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes
- I See Dead People: A variant; Noctis can see the lights of the dead leaving for Etro's Gate because of a Near Death Experience that he and Stella apparently shared.
- Leeroy Jenkins: While he's normally putting up a facade of being calm and level headed, he gets awfully confident once his powers kick in. His gang more or less help keep him in line.
- Living Battery: In order to use magic, Noctis's party must be near him because he is the one who grants them the power.
- The Mafia or Yakuza: What his family seem to be representing, though they just operate in a similar manner. Somehow, despite being the royal family.
- Meaningful Name: It's probably meant to be "light of the night sky." Too bad they butchered the Latin.
- Mr. Fanservice: Due to not only being attractive but also having roughly 95% of screentime dedicated to him so far, including the lovingly-crafted suit scenes.
- Multi-Melee Master/Multi-Ranged Master: Noctis is said to be able to use every weapon in the game but as The Hero he has a natural preference to swords.
- One-Man Army/Curb-Stomp Battle: Noctis: 1, Platoon: 0
- Orcus on His Throne: The original main page picture is self-explanatory, and a heroic example at that.
- Perky Goth: Despite his moody demeanor and love of black clothing, he's apparently fun-loving and friendly and just tries to look cool.
- Rebellious Prince: Noctis isn't a fan of the strict rules the kingdom imposes on him and often gets into trouble by breaking them.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Nomura said in this interview that Noctisí eyes become red when he uses his warp ability.
- Revenge: Noctis seeks this a hundredfold at the end of the 2011 trailer.
- Sleepyhead: From the trailers, it seems he can fall asleep just about anywhere (in his car, on his throne, leaning on a fence), and has done so in every one of his appearances.
- Slouch of Villainy: And he's the hero.
- Space Master: What his powers can essentially be summed up as.
- Teleport Spam: He can instantly teleport to the location of any weapon he has thrown. Additionally, he has short-range rapid teleport abilities in close-quarters combat, serving as a dodge mechanic exclusive to him.
- We Cannot Go On Without You: All members of the group can be controlled, but it's an instant gameover if he dies.
- Possibly. Tetsuya Nomura has actually backed off this assertion a bit.
- Warrior Prince
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: The gender-inversion. He feels he has to look and act serious publicly because of his duty.
Stella Nox Fleuret
"Don't worry about me. Live your own life."
Daughter of the Fleuret family from Tenebrae, she is an unwilling enemy of Noctis who possesses similar powers.
- Captain Ersatz: Suspiciously resembles Aerith. The scene in the third trailer which has her looking up in the sky while the camera focuses down on her is almost an exact replica from the intro of Final Fantasy VII. And Noctis was already considered a Cloud expy.
- Other fans consider her this to Celes. Blonde, wields a sword, and is magical. Plus Nomura has compared their situations.
- With the white dress and blonde hair draped on her shoulders, she looks quite a bit like Namine.
- Childhood Friends: The E3 2013 trailer implies that she and Noctis were this, even depicted Holding Hands.
- Foil: If there's any indication, she will be this to Noctis, both literally and figuratively. It makes perfect sense why: they both are competing against each other for the crystal that Noctis' family holds. They are also shown frequently together, suggesting an important battle will occur between them. Finally, her last name "Fleuret" is the Latin root word for "foil," and she uses a rapier.
- I See Dead People: Like Noctis she can see the lights of the dead leaving for Etro's Gate because of a Near Death Experience that is implied that she and Noctis shared.
- Gaussian Girl: Noctis meets her at a party this way complete with a slow motion close up of her face as she turns around.
- Keigo: Completely contrasting with the way Noct and his friends talk, Stella is very formal and polite, calling the former "Noctis-sama".
- Lady of War: Judging from her weapon and status compared to Noctis, Stella would appear to be one.
- Light Is Not Good: When Stella wields her rapier, a gold crest appears behind her. Note that she is one of the game's antagonists.
- Meaningful Name: "Stella Nox" means night star, while "Fleuret" refers to her Weapon of Choice.
- Ojou: Apparently comes from a very wealthy family, and was 'properly' brought up. This family competes against Noctis' for the Crystal.
- Royal Rapier: Seems to be her Weapon of Choice. Her last name is also a reference to it.
- Ship Tease: She is featured frequently with Noctis, who seems quite shy of her directness, and many fans have picked up on the allusions to Romeo and Juliet. Their meeting is said to be one predestined by the divine.
- Stellar Name
- Visual Pun/Don't Explain the Joke: The rapier she uses in battle.
- Woman in White: Her white cocktail dress when Noctis meets her at the party. Flashbacks from trailers imply she wore one as a child too. She also wears a white cardigan in her normal outfit.
Ignis Stupeo Scientia
An old friend and staff member of Noctis grew up with the best education.
Gladiolus "Gladio" Amicitia
Noctis's closest friend and bodyguard.
An old school-friend of Noctis's and a frequent bad influence. He is an expert with firearms (despite them being banned) and has a playful personality.
Lord Commander of the Caelum family's Royal Guards.
Regis Lucis Caelum
Noctis's father and the 113th king of Lucis.
An antagonist who is emperor of the militarised state of Niflheim.
- The Emperor: Of the power-hungry military dictator variety.
- Evil Old Folks
- Man in White: He was literally only known as this until his name was revealed, due to his dress code.
- Violence Is the Only Option: The peace treaty with Lucis over the last crystal ends with Idola pulling a handgun on Regis and triggering a full invasion of the city-state.
A young mechanic who maintains the party's vehicles.