Characters: Final Fantasy Type-0
aka: Final Fantasy Type- 0
Characters from Final Fantasy Type-0
open/close all folders
Class Zero (Playable Characters)
A special class within the Suzaku Peristylium assembled as a preemptive strike force in case the other three nations of Oriense break the Pax Codex and set their sights upon Rubrum.
- Badass Cape or Scarf Of Ass Kicking: Except Seven.
- Badass Crew
- Band of Brothers
- Child Soldiers: The latest foray into this theme since the SeeD. It is explained in universe as the Suzaku Crystal can only grant magic to the young and as people age their skill with magic diminishes, despite this the nation of Rubrum still considers using the students of Suzaku as soldiers as highly unethical.
- The Chosen One: Each student is a part of Operation Apostle where he/she is striving to become the Agito, who was prophesied to appear at "Finis".
- Code Name: All but Rem and Machina; however, they have no canon real names. They were originally going to, but the developers chose to only use the codenames. Since they were raised together by Arecia, they may well have forgotten their real names.
- Flat Character: Excluding Machina and Rem.
- Turns out this is a deliberate arrangement by Arecia, who specifically conditioned such personalities since childhood as a way to prevent Finis and open Etro's Gate without the slaughter of billions at cost of their lives.
- Flat "What.": Deciding to talk to the Tonberry between will have this reaction from all characters.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: Seven boys and seven girls.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The principal objective of Operation Apostle is exactly this. They succeed in the normal ending (no matter what between-mission tasks the player did in between), but in the secret ending Arecia pulls off a Cosmic Retcon to spare them their grim fate and allow them to live as a happy, if sometimes wacky, class.
- Hyperspace Arsenal
- Numerical Theme Naming: With the exception of Machina and Rem.
- Only One Name: Again, all but Machina and Rem.
- Panty Shot: In a disturbing glimpse into the mindset of the developers, the texturers put detail into giving each female playable character a unique and distinct set of underwear under their skirts, when previously during development, there was just going to be shadows and shading. May be justified due to how noticable the shadows could seem at times
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: As L'Cie.
- Red Mage: As students of a Wizarding School they all can use offensive, healing and support magic (in varying levels of proficiency). They are even called this by Qator.
- School Uniforms are the New Black: Of course it is both a Wizarding School and a Military School.
- Summon Magic: Any character can summon a War God at the expense of all his/her HP, rendering him/her unusable for the rest of the mission.
- Tragic Dream: In the tie in novel all of them mention one, except Nine who can't think of anything. Ace to own a Chocobo Ranch, Deuce to be a musician, Jack to be a comedian, Trey a scholar, Queen a teacher of traditional subjects rather then magic and weaponry, Cinque to travel the world, Cater to find love, Eight to become a competitive martial artist, Seven to make an orphanage for the children who lost their parents in the war, Sice to be a chef and King a police officer. Machina and Rem share a dream of rebuilding the county.
- True Companions: Unto the bitter end. They even hold hands as they die.
- Wacky Homeroom: In the secret ending.
- Weapon of Choice: Each one of them has a unique weapon and fighting style to go with it.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Most of the females score various ranks.
Weapon: Dual Rapiers
A transferee to Class Zero from Class Two (evidenced by his old navy-blue cape) and Rem's childhood friend, as well as her fellow lead character. Younger brother of Izana who seeks revenge to Class Zero for not preventing Izana's death. His constellation nature is Fear.
- Badass Cape: Special mention for being longer then the other students with a High Collar of Doom.
- Blade Spam: His Assault Mode especially.
- Cast From Hitpoints: As per its standard in the series the Darkside attack drains Machina's health.
- Cool Sword: His dual rapiers.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Rem. They are said to live Happily Ever After after the credits.
- Declaration of Protection: Deconstructed. His attempt to protect Rem is because of all Class Zero students, she's the only one he thinks he can trust. Along the way, he grows distant and accepts the power that grants him the strength for this purpose, but ironically loses his memories about her because of it. In the end, he's the one who kill her in his amnesia. Twisting the knife of irony further the novel reveals Machina's deep desire to protect Rem was due to the memory of having to murder her himself after she became possessed by Gala and transfomred into the Lusanath Judge in the cycle previous and to do so he had to absorb the Phantoma of the rest of Class Zero himself.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: Wields drill-rapiers and has a special attack named Spin Drive.
- Go Out with a Smile: At the end of the normal ending's Distant Epilogue, 50 years after Class Zero died defeating Cid, and having completed recording their deeds and leading Oriense to the Dawn of an Era, 67-year-old Machina dies with a smile, his wife Rem by his side.
- He Is All Grown Up: It had been seven years since he and Rem last saw each other and back then Machina was even shorter then her.
- Keet: Shows some shades of this in the secret ending, as he was last seen dragging off Ace from the Library to play.
- Life Drain: His Drain Sword attack.
- Man in White: As a Byakko l'Cie.
- Manly Tears: Shed these after Rem dies accidentally by his hands, and after he and the revived Rem finds the rest of Class Zero dead, their mission to defeat Cid a bittersweet success.
- Mask of Power: Qun'mi's helmet.
- Meaningful Name: Named after the phrase "Deus ex Machina" — "God out of the Machine". Makes a lot of sense once it is revealed that he and Rem are the key to breaking the near-endless cycle of destruction that has trapped Oriense.
- Mighty Glacier: His attacks are a bit slow but hits hard and the sheer number of hits his Blade Spam can do racks up damage.
- The Mole: He reports directly the Rubrum council keeping tabs on Class Zero and Arecia. Later he also infiltrates the Milites forces as a Byakko l'Cie but his deteriorating memories caused by the l'Cie power make him a loyal to the Milites Crystal.
- New Transfer Student
- Slice-and-Dice Swordsmanship: Machina slashes an awful lot with his rapiers despite them not being edged weapons.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Machina's Sword Field skill is this combined with Reverse Shrapnel.
- Tears of Remorse: In the normal ending, he breaks down in these upon finding Class Zero dead from exhaustion in their victory over Cid, apologizing for prejudging them earlier for their failure to save Izana.
- Reluctant Warrior: Outright fears and despises fighting and war — the same violence that claimed his brother's life.
- You Killed My Brother: His prejudice of Class Zero is because of Class Zero's involvement in the mission where Izana was killed and had done nothing to stop his death. This very reason is also why he becomes The Mole of Class Zero for the Rubrum Council and pulls a Face-Heel Turn by accepting Milites' l'Cie power.
Weapon: Twin Daggers
The other lead character together with her childhood friend Machina and, like him, a transferee, in her case from Class Seven (indicated by her old pink cape). Conflicted with Machina's head first jump to self-destruction and her loyalty to her nation. Her constellation nature is Love
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Machina. They are said to have lived Happily Ever After at the end of the normal ending.
- Dance Battler: With a weapon named Dancing Dagger, it's no surprise really.
- Dude Magnet: Has a lot of admirers in the Academy for both her looks and her kind personality.
- Fragile Speedster/Squishy Wizard: Is very fast and one of the most magically adept students, but has weak physical power and low HP.
- Hair Color Dissonance: In some released screenshots her light brown hair has looked purple, or darker to the point it's almost black.
- Ill Girl: Suffers from an incurable disease that, according to Arecia, will eventually kill her.
- Incurable Cough of Death: She gets better, though. In the normal ending, she lives long enough to be by Machina's side when he dies 50 years later, his mission of recording Class Zero's deeds completed; and in the secret ending, her illness seems to have been eliminated altogether, and she was last seen waking up on a bench amidst cherry blossoms and smiling to the heavens.
- Knife Nut: Wields daggers
- Kill Sat: Has one in the skill Magic Satellite.
- Light 'em Up: Aspir Venom manifests as a glowing ball of light.
- Mana Drain: Her special attacks Aspir Venom and Aspir Field.
- Meaningful Name: Her kanji comes from "rei" and "mu", meaning "Not Zero".
- New Transfer Student
- Poor Communication Kills: When she volunteers to be a l'Cie, she has to fight Milites' l'Cie. The problem here is, the enemy l'Cie is Machina, and they don't recognize each other because of Machina's Laser-Guided Amnesia and the fact that Machina is wearing Milites' full body uniform including the mask. She's so close from winning if not for Machina's mask slipping off and distracting her of his rapiers from piercing her. It takes a Deus ex Machina in the form of Arecia for her to get better.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Her Boomerang Dagger skill.
- She-Fu: Does a lot of acrobatic motions with her attacks.
- Silk Hiding Steel
Birthday: 10 July 825
A boy who leads Class Zero, He is calm and withdrawn but with an underlying childlike passion. His constellation nature is Trust
- Badass Bookworm: When controlling any other character, he can be sometimes seen at the Library (other times at the cafeteria or the chocobo stables Izana used to frequent). In the secret ending, he was last seen reading what looks like a book about magic before being dragged by Machina out of the Library to play.
- Decoy Protagonist: The game's poster boy and the leader of Operation Agito. He's also the first character the player can control, but Machina and Rem play the co-role of the protagonist.
- Death Dealer: His weapons are playing cards.
- Flechette Storm: He attacks by shooting his cards out five or more at a time.
- The Gambler: As shown by his Deck Open special which draws four cards which each do a random effect, his other Deck skills reduce the random nature of his draws.
- Improbable Weapon User: Among all of Class 0, he's notably the only one who doesn't use a real weapon.
- Trap Master: Has a special skill called Trap Card.
- Expy: With the card motif, he resembles Minato Arisato.
- Flash Step: His dodge move, can verge on Teleport Spam.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: When using his Laser Cannon skill.
- Glass Cannon: He deals a lot of damage and is pretty fast, but has poor HP.
- The Leader: A type IV.
- Innocent Prodigy: Said to be mature but at the same time childish.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Said to be prone to recklessness.
- Long-Range Fighter: His cards can strike from range, though he can learn melee attacks with them too.
- Manly Tears: Shed these for Izana after watching him die a miserable death.
- Master of Illusion: Has a skill called Illusion although its effects are still unknown.
- Megane: In the secret ending.
- Survivor Guilt: Helplessly watching Izana die a miserable death left a traumatic mark upon the boy. There are times where he frequents the chocobo stables where Izana, a knowledgeable chocobo breeder, once worked.
- You Are Too Late: Fails to rendezvous with Izana quick enough leading to his untimely demise.
Birthday: 8 February 826
A plucky girl who uses her flute as a weapon. The youngest member of Class Zero, she is kind-hearted and good-natured even if she can be a bit stubborn. Her constellation nature is Gentleness
Birthday: 1 March 825
A handsome blond boy who serves as the Class's archer. He's calm and well-mannered, but can be chatty. His constellation nature is Knowledge
Birthday: 9 June 825
Weapon: Magic Gun
A perky girl who carries a backpack at all times and wields an antique gunpowder pistol said to still pack a punch. She has a confident and direct personality. Her constellation nature is Bravery
Birthday: 12 January 826
A strange girl with an equally strange mental process, who uses an oddly shaped mace. Her unusual personality and unpredictable actions tend to cause others to stay away from her. Her constellation nature is Innocence
Birthday: 13 November 825
A tomboyish girl who wields a scythe in battle. She is not skilled with words, but has good judgment. Her constellation nature is Persistence
Birthday: 23 September 824
Voiced by: Mayuko Aoki (JP)
A lady who wields a chain-whip. While her expressions are somewhat cold, befitting the oldest member of Class Zero, she is kind and good-natured. Her constellation nature is Understanding
Birthday: 30 August 825
A boy who fights with punches and kicks. He's not a fan of weapons which take people's lives, so he chooses to fight hand-to-hand. His constellation nature is Calm
Birthday: 13 February 825
A brash guy who wields a lance. He has a skillset like the Dragoon job class from Final Fantasy
games past. His constellation nature is Action
Birthday: 17 August 825
A katana-wielder who always wears a smile and is able to make wise-cracks easily. In dangerous surroundings he encourages his peers to take it easy. His constellation nature is Ignorance
Birthday: 24 January 825
for Class Zero who wields a longsword. She opposes injustice in all forms. Her constellation nature is Intelligence
Birthday: 17 December 824
A young man who wields a pair of revolvers and possesses a mature and composed demeanor. He looks cold, yet he's actually kind. His constellation nature is Resolve
- Badass Back: When posing with the other students, he's the only one with his back to the camera.
- Cool Gun
- '80s Hair: If that mullet is anything to go by.
- Face of a Thug
- Gradual Grinder
- Long-Range Fighter
- Team Mom: Having a mature facade doesn't really hinder him, the second-oldest student of Class Zero (as well as its oldest boy), from fretting over his comrades' wellbeing and is sometimes better at defusing internal tension than Queen. Not to mention he's very gentle and considerate, compared to Queen's standoffish, almost cold approach to team dynamics.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: With his Magazine Bomb special attack.
Fiefdom of Rubrum
Rubrum is the nation at the southern area of Oriense, whose heraldic beast is Suzaku, the Vermillion Phoenix
, and whose traditional color is red. Featuring tropical weather and Victorian-style towns, Rubrum is traditionally governed by an eight-person council with Khalia Chival VI (who also functions as Headmaster of its Peristylium) as head. While not as technologically-advanced or refined as Milites or Concordia, being limited to cold weapons (such as swords), Rubrum is nevertheless feared for its soldiers' patriotism and its prowess in magic and summoning Eidolons.
The teacher of Class Zero, and once a renowned warrior in his own right. He is accompanied by a Tonberry.
Khalia Chival VI
174th principal of Suzaku and the leader of Rubrum.
Age: 21 (at death)
A soldier of Suzaku and Machina's deceased older brother.
Voiced by: Sumire Morohoshi (JP)
A Moogle whose real name is Military Operation Organization Guidance/Logistics Expert
who gives missions to the members of Class Zero. It is also a member of the Cranberry Knights, a group of thirteen Moogles assigned to the thirteen Classes of the Suzaku Peristylium.
Head of Suzaku's magic division and overseas magic development, she is seen as something of a sorceress. She is a servant of Pulse.
Tiz and Joker (Lean)
Two mysterious figures who report to Arecia. Both wear the Class Zero uniform with the hood drawn, and Lean also wears a Byakko grunt uniform with a mask at one point. Their faces are never shown. They are the original #00 and #10 in Class Zero who removed themselves from among their comrades and were replaced by Machina and Rem as part of an experiment by Arecia. Their constellation natures are Decrepitude and Pain, respectively
Zhuyu Voghfau Byot
A Suzaku l'Cie who has been branded for many years, he's a former student of the Peristylium and is slowly losing his memories.
A cadet from Class Nine and a self-proclaimed idol, as well as a reliable source of information.
A fiery merchant girl with light, blue-green hair, who offers items and information to Class Zero at outrageous prices. Because of her good grades, she is popular among faculty.
- The Ace
- Adam Smith Hates Your Guts: Her schtick is that she sells items and information at premium prices.
- Heel-Face Turn: If you do her side missions, she uses her faculty connections to join Class Zero and take over various duties for them at a "classmate discount".
- BFG: The official artbook, as well as the model mentioned below, reveal her weapon of choice to be a sort of magic railgun.
- Catch Phrase: She seems to be fond of an exaggerated "Harro~" and "Ciao!" in the Japanese version.
- Cool Big Sis: Has a little sister that doesn't appear in the game proper, but does get concept art in the Type 0 Artbook. She also follows the You Gotta Have Blue Hair trope, and is implied to be more stern and serious than Carla is.
- Dummied Out: The first demo for the game has a player character model for her in its files, implying she may have been playable or useable as a guest party member at some point in development.
- Genki Girl
- Gratuitous English
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: According to the Crimson Codex, her main reason for swindling people is to raise money to take care of her dying mother's medical bills.
- Knowledge Broker
- Money Fetish
- Red Baron: The Merchant of Flames.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Her high grades make her incredibly popular with the faculty, and she'll use this to her advantage frequently.
- Snake Oil Salesman
- Two-Faced Aside: Used when her plots to trick Class Zero fail.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- It Runs in the Family: Concept art of her little sister shows she has blue hair as well, although a darker shade.
The assistant to Class Zero who provides them with merchant services.
- Kill the Cutie: Double subversion. She was shot by a Byakko sniper and was presumed dead by Class Zero. However she was taken to Milites and healed, being put in Qator's care. Then she was killed for real after Qator's death because Milites soldiers forget that their Brigadier General actually took her refuge.
- Musical Theme Naming
- Nice Girl
- Nice Hat
- Shrinking Violet: It's only an act, she said that her mother insisted on her not saying anything at all.
A Suzaku Type-B l'Cie and an excellent summoner. In all of Orience, she's the most senior l'Cie, and her name even appears in records of a war 500 years past.
A Magic Researcher from Class Eleven. He always has the latest information in relation to magic, which is also his only interest.
A commander of the cadets, currently working as a military officer. She's a friend of Kurasame and Kazusa from their school days.
- Brainy Brunette
- Hot for Teacher: The reaction she elicits from most male students. Poor Nine...
- Hot Teacher
- Jiggle Physics
- Ms. Fanservice: She even has events that depict her doing nothing but walking around her room with only her bikinis.
- The Mole: Was originally a Milites spy...
- Becoming the Mask: ...though her experiences with Kurasame and Class Zero ultimately changed her mind, causing her to forefeit her mission.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: She still got captured for it, though. Afterward, no one ever brings her up anymore, implying that she was executed and people's memories of her got wiped out.
- Official Couple: With Izana in the secret ending.
- Token Wholesome: Despite how attractive she is, her uniform covers her whole body.
As the chief of the Armament Research Institute, he has the responsibility of developing arms and armor. He tends to get overly excited or engrossed in his work. He's been friends with Kurasame and Emina since their school days.
Voiced by: Masahiro Kobayashi (JP)
A student in Class Five who is Lorican on his mother's side, Ryid boasts an impressive build from his daily training with a goal to protect those around him.
An unusual girl from Class Twelve who can be rather dangerous due to a combination of paranoia and skill in making home-made bombs.
Voiced by: Masako Ikeda (JP)
Director of logistics at the Suzaku Peristylium.
Director of military affairs at the Suzaku Peristylium.
Director of academics and magical research.
Authority in charge of magic management.
Milites is the western nation of Oriense, whose heraldic beast is Byakko, the White Tiger
, and whose traditional color is yellow. Milites is traditionally ruled by an Emperor, but due to his sudden absence, Cid Aulstyne took over and became its effective dictator. Its Peristylium specializes in researching the Byakko Crystal, and unlike the other nations their Crystal can be tapped onto Magitek armor, allowing for mass application of its powers.
Marshal Cid Aulstyne
Voiced by: Shuichiro Moriyama (JP)
Head of government of Milites, its effective dictator following the mysterious disappearance of its Emperor, and leader of the invasion of Rubrum and the man who broke the Pax Codex between the four nations.
- A God Am I
- Big Bad
- Bling of War
- Commanding Coolness: His title is also translated as High-Commander
- Cool Sword
- Demonic Possession: He is possessed by the servant of Lindzei and transformed into the Lulusathian Judge near the end of the story.
- Driven to Suicide: Broken, humiliated and defeated by mere teenagers, he beheads himself with his own katana as he gazes at the specter of Gala staring over him as his last act of defiance to try and ruin Gala's plans.
- Mythology Gag: He's a Cid. This Cid isn't content with just one airship, though. Nothing less will do than a whole fleet of 'em.
- Hopeless Boss Fight/Scripted Battle: In the first phase of the final battle, he manhandles your half-dead party with 9999-damage attacks. Then the second phase turns the tables in your favor: the crystallized Machina and Rem lend their power to their classmates one at a time (starting with the last to fall during the first phase), giving him/her Regen and functional immortality. All you need to do is strike at him at the right time, then perform a Phantoma extract which will destroy one of Cid's orbs but knock your character out, forcing Machina and Rem's spirits to take over another character and continue the fight — using up all twelve characters — until it's over.
- One-Winged Angel: He does so after absorbing the l'Cies' Phantoma.
- The Unfought: Cid himself is never fought but his already deceased body does become the monster that serves as the Final Boss.
- Rage Against the Heavens: After finding out that the world is really one big experiment created by the fal'cie servants of Lindzei and Pulse.
- Slouch of Villainy
- We Have Reserves: Has no hesitation in sending Qator out to root out a Class Zero infiltration upon the capital of Milites with an Ultima nuke secretly installed upon his Gabriel meant to detonate at any time. Not if Qator had anything to say about that.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Ultimately desires above all else for the world to be free from the eternal repetition of cruel experiments of the fal'cie and their crystals.
A Brigadier General and Cid's underling, as well as a competent Magitek pilot riding a mecha/jet hybrid, the Gabriel.
A confident Byakko l'Cie who wears a fox-themed armor and rides an Anti-Magic Magitek
frame called Dainsleif.
A silent cyborg l'Cie of Byakko who has fought many battles in the past.
Lorica is the northern nation of Oriense, whose heraldic beast is Genbu, the Black Tortoise
, and whose traditional color is green. What little is known about Lorica is that its people directly intake the powers of the Crystal to increase their strength, increasing their body size in turn, and most of its citizens serve as warriors.
A l'Cie of Genbu who has forgotten his Focus. May or may not be the usual Gilgamesh
who roams dimensions (and games).
Voiced by: Hiroshi Shirokuma (JP)
A childhood friend of Gilgamesh and a fellow Genbu l'Cie.
Kingdom of Concordia
Concordia is the eastern nation of Oriense, whose heraldic beast is Souryuu (aka Seiryu), the Azure Dragon
, and whose traditional color is blue. Notable for its distinctive oriental style, Concordia is a matriarchal society where almost every top government position is held by women (with the sole exception of the King, who holds a largely ceremonial role). Led by the Queen, Andoria, Concordians are known for tapping into the Sōryū Crystal to communicate with dragons and utilize them in combat.
Andoria Kaya Tranka Fam Forchurio
The Queen of Concordia◊
who is in touch with the Queen Dragon, a manifestation of the Souryuu Crystal. She respects order and discipline and has a noble and fair spirit.
Claes Celestia Misqa Sansest
An elite knight of the Akatoki and Souryuu l'Cie, who protects the kingdom's Peristylium. She is very prideful of her nation.
- The Atoner: As restitution for falsely blaming Class Zero for Andoria's death.
- Battle Ball Gown
- Dub Name Change: Her Japanese name is Hoshihime, literally 'star princess', that in trailers and promotional arts always changes to Celestia.
- The Beastmaster
- Killed Off for Real: Dies trying to fight the apotheosized Cid in her Shinryu form.
- Nice Hat
- Knight in Shining Armor
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Swears fealty to her Kingdom, whatever the cost. Unfortunately used in a villainous manner when she antagonizes Class Zero, blaming them for Andoria's death, unaware of Milites' hand in her queen's murder.
- Older Than They Look: Not as much as Andoria, but still, she's 32.
- Overly Long Name
- Patriotic Fervor
- Revenge Before Reason: Andoria's murder (while in Class Zero's refuge) automatically places the entire Class under Celestia's Roaring Rampage of Revenge — it's not until she learns of Milites' treachery that she rejoins the party for good.
- Scaled Up
- Turn the Other Cheek: After the truth about Andoria's death is revealed, she immediately helps the Class Zero taking down Cid, never mentioning the fact that her child was killed in the previous battle against them afterward.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Another knight of the Akatoki.
King of Concordia
The brash and self-centered king who stands in direct contrast to Andoria.
- Cool Mask
- Drunk with Power
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers
- High Collar of Doom
- Older Than They Look: Though given that he frequently wears a mask, his age is not obvious. Jun Fukuyama is known for voicing teenage boys though.
- The Quisling: After Andoria's death, he effectively takes over Concordia and signs a peace treaty with Milites, unaware of its role in Andoria's murder. But it turns out he has another motive of this...
- The Starscream: He actually wanted to kick Andoria from the throne since a long time ago, and change Concordia back to the time where men were in charge of the nation. At the first sight of Milites' offer for it, he quickly takes the bait.
Two mysterious women who serve as narrators. They appear in the logo.
Fal'cie servant to Lindzei who runs a counterpart experiment to Arecia's.