Characters: Fairy Tail Team Natsu
The main group of protagonists in the series. The team initially consists of Natsu, Happy and Lucy, but Gray and Erza join the team after tagging along a number of times. Wendy and Carla also become unofficial additions to the team. Other guild members that have had on-off membership include Juvia, Gajeel, and (most recently) Elfman.
The team has no official name, so "Team Natsu" is what the American fanbase has decided to call them.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The ladies: Lucy as the Blonde, Wendy as the Brunette (dark blue), and Erza as the Redhead.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Natsu/Erza as the boke with Gray/Lucy as tsukkomi. Happy tends to zig-zag with the trope.
- Childhood Friends: Natsu, Gray and Erza.
- Covert Perverts
- Dark and Troubled Past: All of their backstories are quite tragic and sad. To elaborate:
- Natsu was left by Igneel and the person he made a Childhood Marriage Promise dies (not really).
- Gray loses his birth parents by Deloria and then loses his new mom because of his actions, as well as causing his technical brother to hate him.
- Erza had no family because she was captured and forced to be a slave until she led a revolt that costed her an eye and her friends loyalty.
- Lucy's mother dies while she was young and her father pretty much flat out didn't care about her at all.
- Wendy, like Natsu, was left by her dragon and then left to wander the world with Mystogan until he left her.
- Destructive Saviors: Most of their missions' pay goes to the repairs of the place that they destroyed, much to Lucy's ire.
- Determinator: No matter what, they never give up, and if they can help it, they never let themselves lose to the same opponent twice.
- Disney Death/Put on a Bus: After Acnologia blasts Sirius Island they, along with those who participated in the S-Class exam and Laxus, go missing for seven years.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: They spent seven years inside the Fairy Sphere after the Sirius Island incident.
- Five-Man Band
- Four Temperament Ensemble:
- Sanguine: Natsu/Happy
- Choleric: Erza/Carla
- Melancholic: Gray
- Phlegmatic: Wendy
- Leukine: Lucy
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Natsu, contrasting rivals: Gajeel and Gray, who all use weaponry of some sort.
- Heroic BSOD: Along with Levy, Juvia and Wendy after it's revealed that one day in the Celestial Spirit World is equal to three months in Earth-land, which they should have spent training for the Great Magic Games.
- Honor Before Reason: A lot of the times they don't end up having to pay a huge repair bill, Natsu or Erza are usually refusing a payment for one reason or another.
- Parental Abandonment
- Power-Up: They're all substantially weaker after the Time Skip, even weaker than Max, but take a massive level in badass when Ultear helps them achieve "Second Origin", activated by Ultear's Arc of Time, which gives them access to their latent magical reserves and effectively doubles their power.
- Older Than They Look: Courtesy of the Sirius Island incident coupled with the Time Skip, they are all seven years younger than they're supposed to be and look.
- Three Plus Two: As mentioned above; Natsu, Happy & Lucy are the three, Gray & Erza are the two.
- Cast Calculus: Typically, another major Fairy Tail member will temporarily join the team for the duration of a story arc as the ensemble's Sixth Ranger. So far, these members have been Juvia, Gajeel, Pantherlily, Wendy, Carla, Elfman, Mirajane, and, lately, Laxus. For more information, refer to their own entries in the other tabs.
- Took a Level in Badass: There's no doubt they get more and more badass as the story progresses, but all the levels they obtain are instantaneously doubled when they achieve "Second Origin". It lets Natsu single-handedly beat Dragon Forced-powered, Unison Raid-using Sting and Rogue without having to do the same, and lets Erza use her Infinity+1 Sword on Minerva.
- Two Girls to a Team: The series mostly played this straight, with Lucy and Erza as the two girls to Natsu, Gray, and Happy, making the ratio 3:2 in favor of the guys... Unless you don't count Happy, the nonhuman, which makes it equal. Even if you do count Happy, Wendy coming into the picture tips the ratio in favor of the girls, since she brings Carla, another nonhuman, with her.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Natsu and Gray. Occasionally Natsu and Erza. Happy and Lucy have shades of it as well.
open/close all folders
The main male protagonist of the series, also known as "Salamander". He was raised by the dragon Igneel to become the Fire Dragon Slayer, giving him the power to breathe, attack with, defend against, and even eat fire. He was abandoned after Igneel mysteriously disappeared on July 7, 777, seven years before the series begins. He has since joined Fairy Tail in the hopes of reuniting with Igneel and finding out what happened. He's generally regarded as Fairy Tail's problem child, but no one is more loyal to the guild than he is.
The main female protagonist of the series. She is a celestial wizard who uses magic keys to summon spirits from another world. She was born into a wealthy family, but ran away from home to join Fairy Tail. She gets her wish when she bumps into Natsu at the start of the series, though her new guild's insane antics prove to be more than she can handle at times.
- Action Girl: No, really. She actually wins most of her fights. She's just not as itching to fight as some other folks are. She also relies less on her celestial spirits and more on her agility and whip than you might expect.
- Actor Allusion: Early on she considers Siegrain/Jellal to be a good boyfriend material.
- Adult Fear: During her battle with Flare Corona, Flare uses Asuka Connell as a hostage and tells Lucy not to do anything lest something happens to the little girl.
- Allergic to Love
- Apocalypse Maiden: Zig Zagged. She is singled out for Arcadios' Eclipse Plan in the Grand Magic Games arc, but according to Arcadios, it entails using all twelve Zodiac keys to open a gateway to the past and kill Zeref before he became immortal. Then it turns out that as long as she's alive, she will somehow prevent the gates to the Eclipse Cannon to use it against the dragons that threaten to ravage the kingdom. And then it turns out that Eclipse is the thing that brought the whole world to ruins in the first place. And she's the only one that can stop the destruction of the world, basically meaning that she is the key to protecting the world itself.
- Played straight in the Key of the Starry Heavens filler arc, where she's used to trigger a doomsday device due to her being a celestial wizard.
- Ascended Fangirl: From a big fangirl of Fairy Tail to a member in good standing and one of those who could qualify as The Heart of the guild (in the anime) in just half a year. Not bad at all for a rookie wizard, even if her combat ability does not compare well to some of those who have been in the guild since their childhood.
- Bare Your Midriff: Primarily her attire after Sirius Island
- Bat Deduction: She somehow correctly deduces where Master Mavis' grave is located in the Sirius Island arc, despite the fact that her logic involves a Wiki Walk through a series of extremely loosely related words (at one point she claims it is suspicious that the word "demise" has two e's).
- Bathing Beauty
- Bathtub Bonding: With Cana.
- Break the Cutie: Often during the Grand Magic Games arc. Every antagonistic woman on any of the other teams seems to be out to get her.
- Brown Eyes
- Butt Monkey: Prior to Character Development.
- Calling the Old Man Out: When she finds out he had hired Phantom Lord to bring her home, nearly getting her guild destroyed in the process. Done again later when he reappears bankrupt and demands 100,000 Jewel from her, only to later realize he was just asking for money for a carriage ride to work and grossly overestimated the cost.
- Cat Girl: In the Fairy Hills and the fourth OVA.
- Celibate Heroine: Unlike Natsu, who is just clueless, Lucy avoids love as much as possible. In an omake, she actually chooses her friends over a possible relationship.
- While she doesn't actively seek out romance, she is a sucker for it, judging from the few times Natsu has been inadvertently romantic with her, she wouldn't pass up the opportunity.
- Character Development: See Took a Level in Kindness.
- Character Tics: Tends to puff up her cheeks when she is annoyed or impatient.
- The Chick
- Clothing Damage: Often.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Defeats much of the entire Naked Mummy guild by herself.
- Cool Keys: How she opens the gates to the Celestial Spirit world.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: The magical world views her as this.
- Damsel in Distress: During the Phantom Lord arc. Noticeably, she's rescued rather quickly.
- Dangerously-Short Skirt
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Her seiyuu sings the OVA's ending.
- Even the Girls Want Her: In the anime, Levy wouldn't mind seeing her butt. Erza as well.
- Expy: To Elie from Rave Master, particularly in terms of her clothing.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: But just with her hair.
- Friend to All Living Things: The celestial spirits often make note of how kind she is to them, even going so far as to think of them as her fellow human beings, due to the rather harsh treatment they often get from other summoners. At least four different Zodiac spirits have sought her out because their original contracts were broken and they knew how kind she is.
- Girlish Pigtails: Almost always after she changes her clothes. Becomes permanent after returning from Sirius Island. She changes her hair back during the Magic Games.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: Not in the traditional sense, but out of the (probable) thousands and thousands of summoning keys there are, only twelve of them are "Golden Celestial Keys." So far, she has ten of them, the only ones she doesn't own being Libra and Pisces. The interesting thing about this is, she has three when the series starts, and only actively seeks out one. The rest ask to join her. However, when Yukino tries to give her the keys, she refuses them.
- Gratuitous French: Her "Fleuve d'étoiles" whip's name means "River of Stars".
- Groin Attack: Pulls this on Jose. He understandably becomes upset about it.
- Hair Decorations
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Loke and Natsu.
- Help Yourself In The Past: In the third OVA, Lucy goes back in time with her friends and stops a runaway horse-drawn carriage with a little girl inside. Unbeknownst to her, the little girl is her past self, who never notices it was her future self who saved her. The only glimpse she gets of her savior is the Fairy Tail guildmark on her hand, ultimately inspiring Lucy to join Fairy Tail in the first place, and perhaps even to put the mark on her own hand.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Lucy isn't nearly as confident in her fighting abilities as she should be, though she does manage to get over any doubts once the fighting actually starts.
- Hollywood Dateless: Aquarius constantly teases her about her lack of a boyfriend.
- Image Song: Open the Gate.
- Instant Cosplay Surprise: A Running Gag is that she often ends up in a cosplay outfit at a most unfortunate moment.
- Invisible Streaker: In a filler episode. When she finally gets to the guild to ask for help, Natsu, who finds her by following her scent, finds a much more standard area to grab her.
- Just Friends: Poor Lucy has it hard. Mirajane teases Lucy about either being with Natsu or Gray in an omake, Juvia is convinced that Lucy is after Gray, and Happy teases Lucy about being with Loke during the Fantasia arc. Ironically, she's a Celibate Heroine.
- Kamehame Hadoken/Wave Motion Gun: Urano Metria.
- Kick Chick: "Lucy KICK!!!" and "Lucy Fire"
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Love Revelation Epiphany: When Mirajane gets into Lucy's head the idea that Natsu might like her, Lucy suddenly becomes very nervous around him and even starts to fantasize about a relationship with him. When she thinks he is going to confess, she decides to turn him down, yet dolls herself up. After Natsu reveals he only wanted to see Lucy because he needed Virgo to dig a hole, Lucy becomes disappointed and slaps him.
- Made of Iron: She might not be as able to dish out damage as the other members of her Five-Man Band, but holy hell, can she take it. Since joining Fairy Tail, she's been beaten, strangled, and humiliated by people far stronger than her—the latest of which being not one, but two brutal beatdowns in the Grand Magic Games—and she just keeps coming back for more.
- Male Gaze: In the anime, when Gemini-Lucy seduces Taurus, we see the other part of Lucy that can be used for Fanservice.
- Meaningful Name: Arguably. Lucy means "light bringer," and there have been times when she's lived up to the spirit of her name.
- Ms. Fanservice: A large-breasted blonde who consistently wears skimpy outfits, carries a whip, is frequently subject to Clothing Damage, almost always fights other women, is often depicted in cosplay outfits and sometimes maid costumes, is occasionally captured and tied up, and is commonly drawn from provocative angles or with emphasis on suggestive body parts, most recently her feet. Basically, think of a form of Fetish. Lucy either embodies it or has had or will have it happen to her, much to her great embarrassment (almost) every time.
- Most Writers Are Writers: She's writing a book, though she claims to be an amateur. She lets Levy read it due to her own book interests.
- She also writes a 'journal' about her adventures with the guild, in the form of letters to her Missing Mom.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: She's treated this way by everyone but Gray.
- My Future Self and Me: She meets her future self who came to warn everyone about a Bad Future. Her future self ends up pulling a Taking the Bullet to save her from future Rogue and dies in her arms.
- Naked People Are Funny: Several times to varying degrees, but it's especially funny when a naked Lucy is thrown through the sky and smack into Natsu.
- Narrator: She plays this role from time to time in the manga, with rectangular boxes exposing her point of view on the story and anticipating important events.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: With her father. Particularly tragic in this instance, as he had really cleaned up his act before his death and tried to be a better father even while she was missing for seven years. Plus, even though she does make amends and leave on good terms with him the last time they meet, Lucy never has the chance to actually tell him she loves him until after reading his last letter to her.
- Only Sane Woman: Though unlike most examples, she enjoys the sheer wackiness of her guild once she gets used to it. Most of the time, anyways.
- Not so Above It All: She has her moments. Her first moment is before Erza actually makes an appearance.
- Overshadowed by Awesome
- Panty Shot
- Parental Abandonment: Her mom died seven years before the start of the story. Now, seven years after the story begins, her father has also died.
- Pimped-Out Dress: During the Fantasia parade, she wears a pink dress with a frilled skirt, a bodice bodice trimmed with white fur, and a pink bow on the bodice.
- Plucky Girl: She's a lot braver and tougher than people give her credit for.
- The Power of Love: Loke claims this is why their bond is strong enough that he can summon himself without using up her magic power. She denies anything of the sort.
- Interestingly enough, this is also her interpretation of "The One Magic" that Hades seeks.
- Proud Beauty: She's proud of her good looks and is annoyed about how her "feminine wiles" never work to distract men.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Well most of the time.
- The Runaway: Types 1 and 2 combined. Her father is none too pleased, though Fairy Tail is rather fond of her and refuses to let her leave, even if they get killed protecting her.
- Running Gag: She usually finds someone waiting for her when she enters her house/a room in her house.
- A minor one involves her walking along the edge of the sidewalk near a river and being told by a fisherman that its dangerous. She nearly falls in a couple of times.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Has a tendency to do this. Early on she does this, and then complains when Natsu pulls a Screw the Money, I Have Rules! when they are offered the reward they would've gotten anyways. Later on, she manages to convince the Celestial Spirit King that some rules are too harsh if they would allow an innocent person to die.
- Secretly Wealthy: Formerly. Her family lost all their fortune.
- Ship Tease: With Natsu, Gray and Loke.
- Shorttank: At the start of the series. Nowadays, when Team Natsu actually has more female members than males (as noted at the Two Girls to a Team entry), she doesn't really fill this role anymore. Unless if you count her, Natsu and Happy as the absolutely most important members since they founded the team.
- Shout-Out: She gets her name from The Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
- Shower of Angst: In the Grand Magic Games arc, after getting her magic drained by Obra during her battle with Flare and getting laughed at by an entire audience of people.
- Shrouded in Myth: Many of Team Natsu's more spectacular deeds end up as being blamed solely on Lucy, and word gets out before she can shift the credit to someone else. The more badass things she does do are mostly only known to the celestial spirits she summons, though her defeating Bickslow and Angel are known to a select few wizards.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Most of her attire.
- Spoiled Sweet
- Squishy Wizard: Usually subverted, since she does have some skill in combat. However, she is still very vulnerable in physical combat.
- Straight Man
- Strong Family Resemblance: To her Hot Mom.
- Summon Magic: She's a very great summoner, though her magic reserves are low so summoning multiple spirits in a fight is more tiring for her than other wizards. At least until she achieves Second Origin.
- Supporting Protagonist: Arguably the main character despite Natsu's heroic tendencies.
- Take Our Word for It: Apparently, Lucy's underwear is so sexy that it gets a Head-Tiltingly Kinky reaction from everyone who sees it, especially Erza.
- Tareme Eyes
- Tender Tears
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: Raven Tail greets Fairy Tail by hospitalizing Wendy and subjecting Gray to a humiliating defeat at the Grand Magic Games. Lucy is not cool with stuff like that.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Erza's Tomboy, though this is only be comparasion. In-universe, she is seen as a Shorttank.
- Took a Level in Badass: She's a competent enough fighter to hold her own in a fight at the start of the series, but gradually becomes more badass with each spirit she obtains. Her levels also skyrocket a number of times:
- She temporarily summons all her spirits at once to prove a point across to the almighty Celestial Spirit King in the Loke arc.
- She gets her hands on the "Fleuve d'étoiles" whip in the Edolas arc, giving her all sorts of mobility.
- As a result of her "Second Origin" release, she gains the ability to not only summon two of her strongest spirits at the same time without getting tired, but also to combine their attacks, allowing her to put her enemies on the ropes in ways she was never able to do before.
- Took a Level in Kindness: It's subtle, but at the start of the series, she's something of a self-centered Jerk with a Heart of Gold who, while caring towards her spirits and friends, is more inclined to take jobs for the reward (mainly rent money) than actually helping people. Come the Grand Magic Games arc, when she's had plenty of experiences and collected ten of the twelve Zodiac keys, she becomes much more considerate of others. She even declines celestial wizard Yukino's offer to give Lucy the remaining two Zodiac keys until she feels Yukino is ready to part with them. In fact, Lucy lampshades that if she were like the way she was when she first joined Fairy Tail, she would have taken the keys without question, just for the sake of having all twelve.
- Town Girls: The Neither to Wendy's Femme and Erza's Butch.
- Tsundere: A bit of a Type B. Lucy's normally cute, flirty and light-hearted, but she can have a violent temper at times, especially when finding tresspassers in her house.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Happy and Juvia.
- Weak, but Skilled: She's not all that strong physically, but she has the tendency to put whatever tools she has at her disposal to good use.
- Whip It Good: She carries a whip on her at all times in order to defend herself rather than using her spirits for the job instead.
- During the Edolas arc, she receives the "Fleuve d'étoiles", a magical and extendable whip from Virgo, and shows that she can be quite awesome with it, even without a spirit at her side.
- Woman in White: Her attire towards the end of the Sirius Island arc, courtesy of Virgo.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Lucy finishes off Sherry with a clothesline during the Galuna Island arc.
- Wreathed in Flames: Used by Natsu on Mr. Cursey with her hair attached to it to defeat Kain Hikaru.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Usually after Virgo brings her clothes from the Celestial Spirit world. Becomes standard after returning from Sirius Island.
Fairy Tail Magic: Aera Guild Mark:
Natsu's animal partner, a happy-go-lucky talking blue cat who can grow wings and fly. Ever since Natsu hatched him from an egg he found, he's been inseparable from Natsu.
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: The sack he usually carries.
- Actor Allusion: Mentions Equivalent Exchange when he describes Gray's magic.
- Badass: Can be very badass when needed.
- Blood Knight: He calls Erza's magic beautiful because of the blood that spills out. Kinda Narm in the anime.
- Blush Sticker
- Bond Creatures: After hatching from his egg, Happy flew around and landed on Natsu's head, and has been with him ever since. Noticeably, Happy can carry Natsu without Natsu getting sick. Lampshaded when Gajeel notices that he's (initially) the only Dragon Slayer without a cat.
- Catch Phrase: "Aye!" and "S/he lllikes you."
- Cats Are Snarkers
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: With Carla, Happy manages to destroy Hades's heart during his battle with the rest of Team Natsu. This action nearly defeats Hades just by itself and saved the lives of the entire team.
- He does it again with Jackal, a demon from the Book of Zeref. When Jackal tries a suicide bomb tactic on the group, he grabs him away into the air and lets him blow himself up. And Happy gets away from him barely in time.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Carla.
- Egg McGuffin: An entire omake is devoted to the children of Fairy Tail trying to hatch Happy's egg.
- Friendly Rivalry: Sometimes with Lily, concerning Carla (though Lily has no romantic feelings for her at all).
- Genius Ditz
- Hidden Depths
- Hypocritical Humor: Gets creeped out when he sees Lecter and Frosch talking despite them being Exceed.
- Image Song: Happy Day, and Have a Nice Day with Carla.
- Lamarck Was Right: Shares the same flying style as his father.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Played straight in that he doesn't know he is an Exceed until the Edolas arc. Subverted in that it initially appears he doesn't remember his mission from Edolas as Carla does, only for it to be revealed that Carla's "memories" are the result of her prophetic powers gone haywire; having no memories about Edolas is actually perfectly normal (after all, he was born and raised on Earth-land).
- Love at First Sight: Towards Carla. The supreme irony here is that the latter is a Tsundere; Rie Kugimiya is a Tsundere specialist voicing a non-Tsundere.
- Mr. Exposition: Knows way too much about magic and physics for being only six years old.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Is often not counted as a member of Team Natsu. He even does it to himself.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Obfuscating Stupidity: People are often surprised to hear Happy's detailed explanations for what is going on at the moment given how he acts most of the time. Given how he was raised by Natsu, however, his "stupidity" is probably not an act.
- Power Trio: The Id to Lily's Ego and Carla's Superego.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: There's no doubt he was when he just left his egg.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Lucy/Loke and a few others.
- He also ships Erza/Jellal.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his mother.
- Talking Animal
- Team Pet: His only role on the team seems to be carrying around Natsu, although he shares the role of The Smart Guy with Lucy sometimes. And he can be quite useful in a fight; for example, Happy grabs Kain Hikaru's voodoo doll when Natsu and Lucy fight him, which is essential in his defeat.
- Trilling Rs: His second catch phrase.
- Token Non-Human: The only member of the actual team who is obviously not human, though Lucy's summons run the gamut between human and anything but.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fish!
- Tyke Bomb: Subverted. It seems at first that he was sent to Earth-land by the Exceed to capture Natsu and bring him to Edolas, which he supposedly forgot about. Then it's revealed that this was never the Exceed's intention; Carla created the mission for herself without realizing it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Lucy.
- Whale Egg: Happy can talk and grow wings...because he hatched out of an egg.
- Wildcard Excuse: His answer to questions such as "Why are you blue?", "Why can you fly?", or "How come you can talk?" is always "Because I'm a cat!" cheerfully and likely intentionally ignoring the fact that these questions are because he is a cat.
- Winged Cat: His brand of magic, which is inherent in his species, the Exceed.
- You Gotta Have Blue Fur
Fairy Tail Magic:
Maker Magic (Ice-Make: Static
), Ice Magic, Unison Raid Guild Mark:
Right Side of Chest (Dark blue)
A wizard whose magic, Ice-Make, lets him create ice and mold it into any form he desires. This magic is also the source of a fierce rivalry with Natsu, a fire wizard. He learned ice magic from the wizard Ur, who he also got his unhealthy stripping habit from. As a child, he tried taking vengence against Deliora, the demon that destroyed his hometown, but his overconfidence cost his teacher her life, and he's tried to remain level-headed ever since.
- Accidental Pervert: Desperate to in any way stop Juvia's attack, he reaches out an freezes her...only to discover his hand on her breast.
- Almighty Janitor: Like Natsu, he's much more powerful and skilled than his rank implies. The fact that he's not as prominent as either Erza or Natsu helps him, as opponents are often surprised at his abilities.
- Battle Strip: Loses his shirt most of the time.
- BFG: His Ice Cannon.
- Bloody Murder: Freezes his own blood in order to combat Ultear.
- Boring but Practical: Ice Make is not by any means flashy, super powerful, even rare. Instead it's able to let Gray win because he has virtually the largest arsenal of abilities. To put this in perspective, Ultear and Lyon have stronger version's of Ice Make but they did not follow Ur's teachings.
- Characterization Marches On: He initially serves as The Rival to Natsu, and both are far more vitriolic towards each other in earlier chapters. Nowadays, they're equally quirky and rarely fight.
- Chekhov's Skill: Gray is known for stripping almost bare in a matter of seconds. This comes in handy against Sugar Boy in the Edolas arc, when he slips out of his jacket to avoid being stabbed.
- Gray was established as being very young when he learned Ice Make and thus had a good grasp even when he was a child. As a result, Gray is the only person out of the three (himself, Natsu, and Erza) who gets turned into a kid by Doriate and can actually use his magic.
- It had more to do with Natsu's and Erza's magic being based essentially on strength, while Ice Magic requires imaginative freedom; thus, it led Gray to develop a creative and strategic mindset that allows him to outsmart his opponent.
- Covert Pervert: Usually a pretty level-headed and serious guy, but he can't help but offer to ice down Lucy's butt, gets distracted by Virgo's underwear, and in Chapter 244 is the only one to actually think "Wendy's naked only ten feet away from me". Additionally, in The Movie, when Lucy appears naked in front of him and Natsu, and Natsu comments that Gray's stripping habit could be contagious, his response is expressing thankfulness for developing the habit.
- Determinator: He's at least prepared to cut his own side open in order to win a fight, and then go fight someone a hundred times stronger while woozy from blood loss.
- Expy: To Musica from Rave Master. Case in point, he manipulates a malleable element, and always wears a silver necklace (which also happens to look like the first Rave).
- Filler seems to enjoy driving this point home. He does a Unison Raid with Juvia to combine their powers, which is basically the same thing as Silver Bond, which Musica does with Reina.
- Fake Defector: In the anime-only Daphne filler arc.
- Freak Out: Has a massive one when Doriate attacks him after turning him into a child, causing him to think he's Deliora and go into a crying fit. He gets better.
- Genius Bruiser: Make-Magic is based on magical power and creativity, meaning one has to be relatively smart and observant to get the most usage out it. This is shown when he manages to make a rather intricate key out of ice having seen it once, at one point making what can only be described as "Unlimited Blade Works" and trouncing Doriate despite having much more limited power because he's smart enough to play off his surroundings.
- Heroic BSOD: Has one when Doriate turns him into a kid and Gray accidentally associates him with Deliora. Thankfully he managed to get a grip on it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempted twice in the Galuna Island arc, before getting some sense literally punched into him.
- During the fight with the dragons, he saved Juvia from getting killed when the dragons tried to shoot at her. He ends up taking the shots, much to Juvia's horror.
- An Ice Person: Noted to be a highly skilled ice wizard.
- Image Song: Frozen Soul, True Pride.
- It's Personal: Multiple times, as a matter of fact:
- First is against Deliora, who destroyed his hometown and killed his family. When he tried fighting it, it ended up getting her master Ur turned to ice.
- Second is against Lyon, who tries resurrecting said demon, thus threatening to not only undo the sacrifice Ur made to seal it away, but also essentially killing Ur since it's her living body that had been keeping the demon sealed.
- Third is against Ultear, who is practically Gray's stepsister and has done plenty of evil stuff while badmouthing her mother Ur.
- Fourth is against both Raven Tail and Rufus of Sabertooth, both of whom subject him to a humiliating defeat at the start of the Grand Magic Games. Though he does get the honor of taking Rufus down personally, he never gets to get back at Raven Tail, so Laxus avenges him instead.
- The Lancer: To Natsu, since they rarely cooperate but Natsu is arguably stronger.
- Magic Knight: While Erza fits more on the Knight side, Gray is a bit more magical, but his fighting style is different from Natsu's.
- Manly Tears
- Megane: In the crossover with Flunk Punk Rumble.
- Mistaken for Gay: Juvia thinks he's gay for Lyon.
- Mr. Fanservice: Good looking and cool, in addition to his tendency to strip subconsciously. Possibly lampshaded with his stalker, Juvia, and freely stated by his creator, who admits to covering Gray's past first to try and increase the number of female fans.
- Multi-Melee Master/Multi-Ranged Master: Or more. His ice usually takes the form of different weapons, though it's not limited to that.
- Naked People Are Funny: His subconscious stripping is a Running Gag.
- Nice Hat: He dons Rufus' big plumed hat at the end of Chapter 306. Cue the swooning fangirls.
- Number Two: Serves as this for Erza, being the most level-headed member of the team, and often leads in Erza's absence while Natsu runs off by himself.
- Oblivious to Love: Gradually and subtly subverted; he doesn't seem to notice Juvia's flirting too much in earlier arcs, and when he does he ignores it. They do interact quite frequently, but he treats her the same as Lucy or Erza. Post-Time Skip, however, he is strongly implied to be aware of Juvia's feelings when Erza encourages him to be more friendly with her.
- Subverted though when he tries to Ship Sink him and Juvia after the Magic Tournament arc.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents were killed by Deliora and the woman who raised him die by his own actions.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's the blue oni to Natsu's red oni.
- Reluctant Fanservice Guy
- Replacement Goldfish: Ur might have denied seeing Gray and Lyon as a replacement for Ultear, but she definitely gave them the love she couldn't give to her daughter.
- Revenge Before Reason: The reason why he is now masterless.
- The Rival: Is a friendly one to Natsu. He also has Lyon, the old pupil of his mentor.
- Scars Are Forever: The three scars on his forehead and abdomen. He got the first one in the Galuna Island arc, and it's been there ever since. The second one was also from the Galuna Island arc, but seemed to appear and disappear before he gets the third one fighting Ultear, and from then on both of them are drawn consistently in an X-shape.
- Ship Tease: So far he's had some with Juvia, Erza, Lucy, Ultear, and even Cana if you squint. This is lampshaded in one chapter cover when Jason sees him drinking coffee with Mirajane and immediately assumed they were an item.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Delivers one to Ultear by punching her in the face with ice magic.
- The Smart Guy: On the combined Fairy Tail team in the Grand Magic Games arc.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Goes from Shaping Your Attacks to this, most notably post-Time Skip.
- Stepford Smiler: A noticeable type A after the Magic Tournament arc. He see's what appears to be himself dying and then quickly after finds out Ultear performed a Heroic Sacrifice to save them all. It's noticble in that he's showing more signs of some issues.
- Straight Man: Not as much as Lucy, but it's there sometimes.
- Taking the Bullet: Saves Juvia and vets hit with multiple dragon blasts.
- Tareme Eyes: One of the many insults Natsu has for him.
- Training from Hell: It was actually much colder than hell.
- Tsundere: A mild version, but the traits are there sometimes, especially towards Natsu. A prominent example is during the Lullaby arc where he quietly tells Natsu not to die and denying it a second later, cluing into the fact that the two of them don't really hate each other as much as they claim. Moments like that continue to occasionally pop up throughout the series.
- Volleying Insults: With Natsu.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He strips whenever he gets serious. He also strips whenever it would be funny. He doesn't even realize he's doing it, because he's so used to being cold.
- Weak, but Skilled: Out of the group Gray is not as strong as Erza or Natsu but makes up for it with a arsenal of magic attacks much higher then even Erza. He also pulls Determinators out more then even Natsu as times, winning by just never giving up.
- Would Hit a Girl/Would Hurt a Child: He clearly states in his battle against Juvia that it he will show no mercy to those who hurt his friends, even if his opponent is a woman or a child. So far, the latter has never been applied, but the former has been played straight.
An S-Class wizard and the strongest female in Fairy Tail, also known as "Titanianote
". Her magic is called "The Knight", which lets her requip various weapons and pieces of armor instantly. Her traumatic childhood experience as a slave forced to build the Tower of Heaven has hardened her into a very serious young woman who doesn't tolerate her teammates fooling around and breaking the guild rules, though she slowly warms up to them over time.
Cait Shelter (former), Fairy Tail Magic:
Dragon Slayer Magic (Sky Dragon Slayer
), Unison Raid Weapons/Equipment:
Air Shatter Cannon (In Edolas) Guild Mark:
Right Shoulder (Blue)
The Sky Dragon Slayer, also known as the "Sky Maiden". She was raised by the dragon Grandine in the art of healing magic, though she can also use her magic for combat purposes such as breathing gusts of wind. She is introduced as a representative of the Cait Shelter guild during the alliance against Oración Seis, but joins Fairy Tail after learning her old guild doesn't actually exist
. She becomes a permanent, though unofficial, member of Team Natsu over time.
- Action Girl: Post-Character Development.
- A-Cup Angst: Her reaction to Reedus' future drawing of her. It doesn't help when she met her Edolas version of herself.
- Badass Adorable: Equally Badass as she is cute.
- Badass Boast: See Beware the Nice Ones below, but also:
Wendy: "After all, I am the pillar that holds my team!"
- She later tells Zirconis, a massive man-eating dragon that her magic will defeat him.
- Blow You Away
- Beware the Nice Ones:
Wendy: "But know this... When I am pushed into a corner, I become the Dragon of the Sky!"
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Then again, it isn't really wise to give a twelve-year-old sake.
- Child Mage
- Combat Medic: Shapes up to be one once she learns how to use her Sky Dragon's Roar. She actively fights alongside her friends while providing support on the battlefield in the Edolas and Sirius Island arcs, and can be considered a serious threat in a one-on-one fight by the Grand Magic Games arc.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Cute Little Fangs: Comes with being a Dragon Slayer.
- Determinator: Natsu and the others seem to have rubbed off on her in that department.
- Doesn't Like Pickled Plums: Loke and Gray uses this to defeat her in the anime version of the S-Class exam.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Said to Cheria during their battle when the latter suggested that she gives up due to her injuries.
- Girlish Pigtails: From the Edolas Arc and onwards.
- Glass Cannon: Her spells pack a punch but she can't take a hit herself due to her lack of hand-to-hand combat experience.
- Healing Hands
- Healing Shiv: She manages to do this with magic, by combining her Sky Dragon's Roar with her healing spells on Reborn Oracion Seis' Grim Reaper to restore his memories while he's attacking her in the anime-only Key of the Starry Sky arc.
- Image Song: "Amazing Blessings"
- Kid-Appeal Character: The only reason she was created in the first place, though character development has made her somewhat deeper than that.
- Little Miss Badass
- Meaningful Name: Wendy can sound like Windy
- Originally, she was going to be the Water Dragon Slayer, with her name becoming a pun on Wednesday (Suiyobi or "Water Day" in Japanese).
- The Medic: One of very few, and probably the best.
- Mystical Waif: Has elements of this in the Nirvana arc, including a mysterious past, bad guys wanting her, non-action status, bit of a Distressed Damsel, purehearted and kind, and The Medic.
- Older Than She Looks: She looks about six or seven years old, yet she is actually twelve.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: More in terms of looks than power. Many characters comment on her attractiveness, but next to the better-endowed Lucy and Erza...
- Parental Abandonment: Like Natsu and Gajeel, the dragon Grandine left her without a word.
- Poke the Poodle: She can't be scary no matter how hard she tries.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Baron: "Sky Dragon" and "Sky Maiden".
- Shoot the Medic First: What Faust and Hades try doing to her when they start fighting. Thankfully her friends are there to protect her.
- Shout-Out: She bears some resemblance to Azu-nyan when she gets into her Edolas clothes, complete with pigtails.
- Shrinking Violet: Is introduced this way, but once she joins Fairy Tail, she starts to grow out of it.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: But as the series progresses, she loses the "shy" part.
- Status Buff: Her Sky Dragon Slayer magic is very practical because of this.
- Sweet Tooth: A bonding point with Erza. The two even went on a mission together where their only reward was sweets.
- Tagalong Kid: She becomes this for Team Natsu.
- Tareme Eyes
- Tender Tears
- Token Mini-Moe
- Tomato Surprise: Cait Shelter is just an illusion created by the long-dead master, Robaul. This leads to her joining Fairy Tail.
- Took a Level in Badass: Gradually evolves from a meek young girl with no battle skills to a full-fledged Combat Medic who can hold her own in a fight. Lampshaded by Jura in the Grand Magic Games arc.
- Town Girls: The Femme to Lucy's Neither and Erza's Butch.
- Unskilled, but Strong: A variation of this. While there is no questioning that she's very strong for a mage in her age group, she still lacks a lot of fighting experience.
- What Could Have Been: She was planned to be a Water Dragon Slayer.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: Starts wearing them in the Edolas arc and onwards.
Affiliation: Cait Shelter (former), Fairy Tail
Magic: Aera, Precognition
Guild Mark: Back (Pink)
Wendy's caretaker. She is of the same species as Happy, a talking cat who can grow wings and fly. She is generally hostile towards Happy when they first meet, but gradually warms up to him over time. Unlike Happy, she was born with knowledge of what she and Happy really are—Exceeds from the parallel world of Edolas—thanks to her ability to foresee the future
- Action Girl: Has her moments, believe it or not. See Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? below.
- Accidental Truth: In the Edolas arc, she claims to be the Exceed Princess in order to prevent Edolas!Erza from arresting her, Happy, and Lucy. Turns out that she really is Queen Chagot's daughter.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Until the Edolas arc.
- Bond Creatures: To Wendy. It's actually implied that all Dragon Slayers should have one.
- Cats Are Snarkers
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Once she sees Happy's Heroic Resolve.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: With Happy, Carla manages to destroy Hades's heart during his battle with the rest of Team Natsu in the Sirius Island arc. This action all but defeats Hades just by itself and saves the lives of the entire team.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Happy.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Grumpy Bear
- Heroic BSOD: When she finds out that everything she's done was to unwittingly accomplish her "mission" and not to protect Wendy. Though it wasn't a mission in the first place.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She starts out as a total Jerkass to Happy, but still clearly cares for Wendy.
- Little Miss Snarker: Despite being a cat.
- Ms. Exposition: Explains what Edolas is to Natsu, Wendy, and Happy.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Only Sane Cat
- Power Trio: The Superego to Happy's Id and Lily's Ego.
- Psychic Powers: The power of foresight.
- Prophetic Fallacy: She foresees Queen Chagot using Dragon Slayers as a scapegoat for sending her and 99 others of their kind to Earth-land as eggs, and mistakes the queen's bluff of killing Dragon Slayers to be her actual mission. She also assumes that all the Exceed sent to Earth-land are supposed to know this, and thus shuns Happy when it turns out he does not.
- Spell My Name with an S: There has been a huge debate over how her name (pronounced Sharuru in Japanese) should be spelled. For the longest time, people have settled on "Charle", though the OVA opening spells it as "Charles", meaning it would have the gender-neutral French pronunciation. However, Word of God says that the name was translated to the more feminine "Carla" since people would likely mistake "Charles" as a male name. Thus, "Carla" is the name Funimation uses.
- Straight Cat
- Strong Family Resemblance: To her mother.
- Talking Animal
- Tsundere: Is later this towards Happy.
- Tyke Bomb: Subverted.
- When She Smiles: Her smile is noted by Happy's mother.
- Winged Cat
- Wise Beyond Her Years: One of the more collected and observant guild members, and she's only six.