Characters introduced in the original Eternal Champions:
open/close all folders
- "A moral code is only required for the weak who don't know the difference between wrong and right."Time Period: 1993 AD
Fighting Style: Ninjitsu/Taijitsu
- Absolute Cleavage
- Combat Stilettos
- Corporate Samurai: When it came to industrial espionage, she was second to none.
- Domino Mask
- Hell-Bent for Leather
- Highly Visible Ninja
- Knife Outline: In her Cinekill, the Dark Champion swipes her shuriken and pins her to the wall of his lair with them. Then he goes for a headshot...
- Leotard of Power
- Resignations Not Accepted / She Knows Too Much: The cartel doesn't allow resignations, so they arranged her fall from the 101st floor of Black Orchid's skyscraper.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: Throwing knives, shurikens, and smoke bombs.
- Qipao: Her X-Perts incarnation. Also appears as an alternate outfit in The Dark Side.
- "Technology has been created to serve the needs of humanity. When the opposite becomes true, then our futures will be empty and destroyed."Time Period: 2345 AD
Fighting Style: Muay-Thai kickboxing
- Artificial Limbs
- An Arm and a Leg / Eye Scream: For R.A.X.'s Cinakill, the Dark Champion uses telekinesis to rip out his cybernetic eyepiece and limbs.
- Computer Virus: During R.A.X.'s surgical operation to affix the implants, his promoter planted a virus in R.A.X's brain to shut him down if necessary.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: And they're stealing our jobs, too.
- Eyepatch of Power
- I Coulda Been a Contender!
- Throwing the Fight: R.A.X. was murdered because he refused to do this voluntarily.
- "If you're coming on, come on!"Time Period: 2030 AD
Fighting Style: Kenpo karate
- Awesome Mc Cool Name
- Bounty Hunter: Following his dismissal, Blade returned to Syria to became a mercenary, allowing him to indulge his quick temper.
- Chest Insignia
- Cool Shades
- Future Spandex
- Hot-Blooded: His Fatal Flaw as a cop.
- Scary Black Man: A very physically large guy with a hair trigger temper.
- Super Wrist-Gadget: Blade's wrist cannon, which has a stun and kill setting.
- Turn in Your Badge: He once beat a suspect to near-death, and the suspect sued the police afterwards.
- "The only revolution worth having is one which would leave humanity forever with an everlasting peace, and nothing short of this outcome is worth a single loss of life."Time Period: 1899 AD
Fighting Style: Savate/Pencak Silat
- Circus Brat
- Dies Wide Shut
- Does Not Like Shoes: She tends to go barefoot.
- Groin Kick: When practicing savate, the hands are kept open and low to defend against this trick.
- Hollywood Costuming: Her costume is little more than a bikini. Even for a circus performer, it's a little too revealing for the nineteenth century.
- Pstandard Psychic Pstance: To use her powers.
- Psychic Powers: Has some form of psychic resonance ability, enabling her to speed herself up and slow down her opponents. In the sequel, she also uses it to kill opponents as her finishing move.
- Rebellious Princess: A cousin of the Tsar who ran away to join the circus and learned acrobatics and martial arts.
- Russian Gal Suffers Most
- Stage Names: As a youth, she changed her Russian name to sound more like a performer.
- "Club good, people bad!"Time Period: 50,000 BC
Fighting Style: "Pain" (as in, "to cause as much pain as possible")
- All Cavemen Were Neanderthals
- Beard of Barbarism
- Burn the Witch!: The Elders eventually tired of Slash's yapping and declared him possessed by an evil spirit, which was good enough cause to kill him on the spot.
- Carry a Big Stick: A spiked club.
- Challenging the Chief: Interrupting a clan meeting can be hazardous to your health.
- Good Is Dumb: Slash's fellow tribesman stuck to this belief, to put it mildly.
- Noble Savage
- "I may have been created by man, but man I'm not."Time Period: 110 BC
Fighting Style: Capoeira
- Baleful Polymorph: For Trident's Cinakill, the Dark Champion turns him into a goldfish and then casually stomps him.
- Dance Battler: Trident uses Capoeira as part of his fighting style.
- Fish People: We don't know if Trident only looks this way because he's genetically engineered or if everyone from Atlantis looks like him.
- Hook Hand / Prongs of Poseidon: Trident is so-named because of the hand he lost in a struggle with a shark.
- Squashed Flat: Crushed by a toppled stone pillar.
- They Call Him Sword
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: The Romans rigged the fight in order to banish the Atlantians forever.
- "Power doesn't corrupt absolutely, it instead gives corrupted people absolute power."Time Period: 1692 AD
Fighting Style: Hapkido/cane fighting
- Black Cloak
- Burn the Witch!: Probably not a good idea to unveil your scientific breakthroughs in Salem.
- Ditto Fighter: Inverted — Rather than copy his opponents' moves, Xavier swaps bodies with them entirely.
- Giving Radio to the Romans
- Glowing Eyes
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Just replace "Kung Fu" with "Hapkido Cane Fighting."
- Magic Staff
- Motor Mouth: In the gamebooks (and the comics as well to an extent)."They all wish you luck in their different ways. Xavier launches into a long speech and has to be shut up."
- Phlebotinum Overload: For the Cinakill, the Dark Champion causes Xavier's scepter to overload, disintegrating him.
- Shrink Ray: His Vendetta move.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: To be fair, you can hardly blame the puritans for being confused, seeing as this guy can shoot a magic dragon out of his staff or turn people into gold. Honestly, he'd be considered a warlock by today's standards as well, not least of all because his unlimited source of energy defies the laws of thermodynamics.
- Taken for Granite: As an Alchemist, he has a little more style though; he turns you to gold instead.
Mitchell Middleton Knight ("MidKnight")
- "When the science of man attempts to step beyond the mortal realm, its mortality will be the most likely price for such knowledge."Time Period: 2100 AD
Fighting Style: Jeet Kune Do
- Bad Powers, Good People
- Big Ol Eye Brows
- Body Horror: His hands and feet are just bones, the decay is spreading up his limbs and he has a gaping hole in his chest, and the only way to fix it would be to kill someone.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Freak Lab Accident: Managed to take a nine-story drop into a chemical vat. The impact of his fall loosened the seal on his container of the virus, which also spilled into the vat.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Has a move to this affect. It forces the opponent to approach Midknight, giving him a free attack.
- Immortality Hurts: His exposed bones are the result of not feeding off enough people.
- It Burns!: Midknight's Cinakill.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Steven Ulysses Perhero
- Vegetarian Vampire: Despite wasting away from lack of energy, Midknight refused to harm or kill others.
- "Violence is an acceptable option when your opponent doesn't have the common sense to use any other skills."Time Period: 1920 AD
Fighting Style: Praying Mantis Kung-Fu
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Badass Normal: The only character to have neither powers, size advantage or high-tech equipment and holds his own against them anyway.
- Chain Pain
- Classy Cat-Burglar
- Knife Nut: Eviscerates his opponent with a butterfly knife as a finishing move.
- The Mafia: Worked for the Taglalini crime family before being set up.
- Nice Hat
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A cheesy mix of a prohibition-era gangster, a ninja, and Batman.
- Power Fist: A pair of spiked gauntlets.
- Punny Name
- The Roaring Twenties
- You Got Murder: The setup that got him killed, even though he only realized it too late.
The Eternal Champion, an extraterrestrial who monitors the cosmic balance of good and evil, resides in the far future (9999 AD) where mankind has already destroyed itself. The Champion summons all of the fighters above to compete against each other for a chance to face him and reclaim their soul. If the tournament's surviving fighter can best the Champion, they will return to their timeline armed with the knowledge and ability to change their fate and restore balance to the universe.
- Amazing Technicolor Population
- Animal Motifs: Assumes the attributes of a Dragon, Tiger, Hawk and Shark.
- Version Two practices Unicorn, Elephant, Millipede and Electric eel style.
- Balance Between Good and Evil
- Bald of Awesome
- Chrome Champion
- Game Over Man: Replaced by the Dark Champion in the sequel.
- Glowing Eyes
- Martial Arts Uniform: Looks like Dr. Manhattan stole Geese Howard's clothes.
- My Rules Are Not Your Rules: Has infinite inner strength, which means he can spam moves as much as he wants, as well as suck as much strength out of you as he needs by taunting. Secondly, he has five different forms, and you must beat all of them in one round. Lose the match against him, and you get a bad ending.
- The Omniscient
- Sufficiently Advanced Aliens
- Wreathed in Flames: In the midst of switching movesets.
Characters introduced in Challenge from the Dark Side:
- "The sea derives its power from its depth and cold nature, and I believe these same elements supply my personal strength as well."Time Period: 1566 AD
Fighting Style: Kajukenbo
- "Great leaders are created from the strength and character of their followers."Time Period: 151 BC
Fighting Style: Hung-Gar Kung-Fu
- "Real magic is only given to true believers, otherwise it perverts into the worst type of evil."Time Period: 1802 AD
Fighting Style: Hsing-I Kung-Fu/Tae Kwon Do
- Animated Tattoo: The snake tattoo can come to life and be used as a projectile.
- Facial Markings
- Hollywood Voodoo
- Interspecies Romance: Raven and the Eternal Champion are heavily implied to be a couple in Thanatos's ending.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Capable of adding or subtracting seconds from the timer.
- Rapid Aging: Her Vendetta move.
- Snakes Are Sexy: Her leg tattoo.
- Deconstructed in her Cinakill, which results in the python mauling her instead. Whoops.
- Time Master
- "The only luck I even needed was skill."Time Period: 1849 AD
Fighting Style: A hybrid style referred to as Shotowando
- "Death is but a door, and I'm the doorman."Time Period: 1692 AD
Fighting Style: Fate, Time, and Fisticuffs
- "As a point of a needle can both heal and hurt, so can a man. In my life, I have done both, one by choice, the other by force."Time Period: 1815 AD
Fighting Style: Monkey Kung-Fu
- Bruce Lee Clone: In terms of looks, but interestingly not in terms of fighting style: he doesn't rely solely on martial arts; he also uses acupuncture needles and has several "element"-based moves, and he can use a "drunken monkey" move.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Inverted, the "Sudden Death" on Chin Wo's stage causes the opponent to be mauled to death off-screen by monkeys who come to life from being stone decorations on the temple.
- Take a Third Option: Chin Wo tried to do this, not that it did him any good: given a choice between being shamed by losing a fight or executed for winning a fight, he tried to take the third option of refusing to fight at all. Then he just got executed anyway for a crime he didn't commit.
- Xanatos Gambit: Was the victim of one set up by a cousin of the ruling class, which is what originally led to his death. If Chin Wo had won the fight, he would have been executed for attacking a ruling noble; if he had lost the fight, he would have been publicly shamed as a loser. And even trying to take a third option (refusing the challenge entirely) didn't work because the noble simply framed him for a crime and executed him anyway.
Thomas "Blast" Chavez
- "Might doesn't always make right, but most of the time, a couple of good kicks to the head will cause most people to come around to your way of thinking."Time Period: 1955 AD
Fighting Style: Green Beret Techniques
The Dark Champion serves as the Yang to the Eternal Champion's Ying. Players face this champion as the true final boss of Dark Side.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Unlike the Eternal Champion, his fighting styles are based on natural disasters.
- Badass Cape
- The Coats Are Off: As he enters the arena, his cloak erupts in flames and burns off.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: For her Cinakill, the Dark Champion uses his psychic powers to tie Jetta up with her own ribbons and then spin her rapidly, slicing her to bits with her own bladerangs.
- Evil Counterpart
- Evil Laugh: He chortles at the end of every cutscene.
- Feed It a Bomb: As part of Cinakill, the Dark Champion teleports sticks of dynamite into into Larcen's chest. Oh Crap!.
- Finger Gun: The Dark Champion points this at Dawson during his Cinakill. You can guess the result.
- I Know What You Fear: In a Cinakill, the loser of the match dies in a way which mimics the victim's greatest fear. (Ramses III is liquefied because of his aquaphobia)
- Knife-Throwing Act: For the Cinakill, the Dark Champion lobs Shadow's own shurikens back at her, impaling her against a wall in spread-eagle. He lands the finishing blow by hurling a last ninja star through her forehead.
- Literal Genie: Severing R.A.X.'s artificial limbs from his body.
- A Storm Is Coming: The landscape surrounding his fortress is covered in thunderclouds.
- Supervillain Lair: The final boss battle.
- Taken for Granite: For Slash's Cinakill, the Dark Champion decides to stone him. For real.
Joke Characters from Challenge From The Dark Side:
- "Violence is the problem with violence."Time Period: 1995 AD
Fighting Style: "Dishonesty"
- Badass Grandpa
- Badass Normal: Fights using "Dishonesty."
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep"
- Going Postal: For the Overkill, the Senator whips out a postal worker hat, magically transforming him into an uzi-packing mailman.
- Head Swap: Of Larcen.
- Hollywood Heart Attack: His cause of death.
- Kavorka Man: Has a mistress in every state except Hawaii.
- Patriotic Fervor: Parodied.
- Sleazy Politician
- Take That: Very blatantly based on anti-video game crusaders such as Joesph Lieberman.
- V Sign: His Victory Pose.
This owl familiar from Salem, skilled in Owl-Kwon-Do, ended up burned at the stake right after his master Vaspian (the mortal form of Thanatos). Witch hunters noticed the owl always hanging around witch burnings; they'd hoped that burning him would help end them.
This dog from the 1950s has a proficiency in Shih-Tzu Fu (taught to him in a kennel by a lineage of the Chinese Emperor's dogs). A rich kindly woman in a New York penthouse willed her money to Yappy when she passed away, but a mean relative took the money and kicked Yappy out onto the street. The dog tried to chew the brakeline of said relative's car to cause her death in a crash, but ended up running himself over by accident in the process.
This livestock chicken from Taiwan in 1967 knows Egg Fu (as all chickens do). After a horrendous midnight raid, he swore to protect his livestock from becoming someone else's dinner — but he died thanks to a helicopter strike.
This circus entertainer monkey from 1902, skilled in Monkey Fu, saw an oil lantern get knocked over and start a fire. As he ran to warn his trainer, an elephant accidentally crushed him, which shocked the audience and distracted them from the fire that eventually consumed the tent and killed everyone inside.
This rattlesnake from 1820 studied the ways of Brawling from humans. A bartender raised the snake from an egg, and he soon became the bar's security with its Brawling skills — until the night a criminal broke into the bar to steal from the register, shot the bartender, and Slither.