The Apartment Kids
EddieA hyperactive giant of a man who would trust anybody even when given reason not to. Straddling the line between genius inventor and childish naivety, Eddie is known for both his infectious good spirit, and his ability to summon mallets from nowhere.Tropes associated with Eddie:
- Ambiguously Brown: The Parallel Dementia cast page lists him as 70% caucasian and 25% hispanic, which leads you to question what the other 5% is and where he's originally from.
- Drop the Hammer: Or mallet, in his case
- Hammerspace/Hyperspace Arsenal
- Hairy Hammerspace: Where he "pulls" his mallets from. Still doesn't explain how they get in there.
- Gadgeteer Genius: In addition to his trademark "Coolness Enhancers", Eddie has converted Saya's lightgun into a pulse blaster, and modified Karl's portal control device for combat use.
- He claims to have made it accidentally. Also, it tastes like watermelon.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: The twin oversized hybrid-sanjiegun/hammer-nunchucks he used when he was angered by the pain from his head injury.
- Kid Hero All Grown-Up: He was apparently part of a team of Kid Heroes when he was younger.
- Rule of Cool: How his coolness enhancer actually works.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Has a personal history with Kyran, though neither of them knew at first (Kyran knows by now, though), as well as a past connection to Vladic and Harvoc. Both of these have yet to be explained.
- He also has something against flashbacks, and would actively try to prevent any from happening (at least in the earlier parts).
- Gentle Giant: Comparisons with visual sources put Eddie's height around 6'8" to 6'10", and hyperactivity aside he's actually quite nice.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Team Evil found out (thankfully without actually being on the receiving end)
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jello.
Bob McKileEddie's orange-haired roommate, and at times his babysitter, big-brother-figure, and best friend. Often the most level-headed of the group, Bob frequently has to keep Eddie in line in addition to dealing with his own problems, but seems to be somewhat used to it.Tropes associated with Bob:
- Freakiness Shame: Tries to hide his wings (on account of them not being normal in any way), but when Orulla exposes them his entire art class forces him to model for them.
- The Straight Man
- The Lancer: To Eddie
- Sweet Tooth
- It's Not You, It's Me: The reason for his break-up with Burgundy.
- Winged Humanoid: Gains purple wings as a result of him starting to fuse with his Nefarious side.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not on the same level as Saya or Delaine, but he's not above giving out cynical comments when due.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Nefarious
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Apparently lapses into an Irish accent when he gets frustrated.
NefariousA legendary Demon Chevalier reincarnated inside of Bob. One-quarter demon and the rest human, Nefarious only seems to surface at the worst possible times. Eddie has dubbed him "Neffy".Tropes associated with Nefarious:
- Sweet Tooth: Outside of being rendered unconscious, Nefarious!Bob's rage can only be consoled by feeding him candy.
- Unstoppable Rage: Always surfaces incredibly pissed.
- Berserk Button: Three: Being kissed by a girl (on the lips only; anywhere else doesn't apply), the presence of other demons, and Kyran.
- Gentle Giant: Only when Bob's in control; Nefarious is even taller than Eddie, and big as well.
- Magic Pants: Played semi-straight; Bob's regular clothes turn into Nefarious's whenever he transforms, but things like coats and hats are ripped to shreds by the change in sides, horns and wings.
Saya CaelanA quiet and brooding girl that moves in as Bob and Eddie other roommate early on in the comic. Convinced to move in by her friend Sal, Saya manages to combine the tenets of emo, goth, fatalist, and violent person without really being any of them. She appears to have some sort of rivalry with her older sister Maya.Tropes associated with Saya:
- Deadpan Snarker
- Ship Tease: With Eddie
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Twice, during the "Shrink Ray" fiasco.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
Karl TameronResident gamer-guy and computer nerd, Karl is the third of the Apartment Kids already living in the complex when the comic starts. Tasked as the "Gatekeeper" due to the portal being located in his apartment (his cupboard, specifically), Karl possesses a knack for technology, occasional self-image and self-worth issues, and a couch that transforms into a robot.Has had feelings for Sal since they first met, and she has recently returned those feelings.Tropes associated with Karl:
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Well, Dark Skinned Green-Hair. It's apparently his natural hair color as well.
- Chekhov's Gun: His transforming robot-couch. Doubles as a Brick Joke.
- The Kid with the Remote Control: To both Fred, the portal, and the robot-couch.
Sal DeclanBob's cousin and resident witch, Sal is responsible for Saya moving into the apartment, and later moves in herself once she gets out of the hospital. She often seems confident and strong-willed, which makes it a bit unnerving to everyone when she is insecure or unsure of something. She and Karl have recently started dating.Tropes associated with Sal:
- Cool Big Sis: To Bob and Eddie, at least.
- Hot Witch: Karl certainly thinks so.
- Flying Broomstick: Her trademark witch's broom, Chelsea.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Her...somewhat awkward reaction to Karl's confession is what led to her being attacked by Alkia — and the subsequent destruction of half of Karl's face.
- Stripperiffic: Her most recent getup
- Shipper on Deck: Tried to be this with Saya (and in fact was her reason for sending Saya to the apartment), but failed when Saya fit in more as One Of The Guys instead.
Jason SaskiaThe last of the tenants to move into the apartment, Jason is considered by the rest of the cast as the most normal of the Apartment Kids. He lived and worked as a clown in his family-owned circus prior to moving into the apartment, and has a very obvious crush on Karl.Jason's character was apparently created by Huff in memory of her friend Jason Sweeney.Tropes associated with Jason:
- Ambiguously Gay: In early strips, before his crush on Karl became more obvious; even after, it wasn't clear he was bisexual, rather than gay, until the new cast page confirmed it.
- Bi the Way: According to the current cast page.
- Badass Normal: Apparently being a very camp bisexual clown is mundane enough to pass for normal. Doesn't mean he can't use throwing knives with pinpoint accuracy, do a juggling act with live grenades, and kick demon ass with a large metal hoop.
- Drop-In Character: At first.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Shipper on Deck: Is aware of Karl's feeling for Sal and vice-versa, and in spite of his own feelings for Karl he works to bring the two together.
FredA hyperintelligent cat whose abilities include being able to speak, but so far only Karl is able to understand her. Majorly crushing on Bob, she continually tries to make her feelings known to him, but has thus been unsuccessful. She's also wicked good at video games (somehow).Tropes associated with Fred: