Played by: Johnny Depp
- Berserk Button: You don't want to hurt Kim in front of Edward. Really, you don't.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: At the climax of the film, he murders Jim after he continually abuses Kim in front of him.
- The Cutie: He doesn't talk too much, he's very sweet and just wants to be loved.
- Devoted to You: As Jim himself points out, Edward would do anything for Kim. Including murder.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Or rather sharpness, he accidentally cuts alot of stuff and people.
- Driven to Murder: He gives Jim a Disney Villain Death after impaling him with his scissors.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: As the film goes on, Edward eventually drifts into this as the townspeople reject him due to him taking the blame for several incidents.
- The Quiet One: Despite being the main character of the film, he has a grand total of 169 words of dialogue throughout it.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Kim, who is a human while he's an immortal golem.
Played by: Winona Ryder
- Beware the Nice Ones: She threatens to kill Jim herself if he doesn't stop harassing Edward, even holding a blade to his throat. Jim does not heed her warning.
- Hair Of Gold Heartof Gold: One of the only people who doesn't turn against Edward in the movie's climax.
- Narrator All Along: She is the elderly lady in the story's Framing Device.
- Only Sane Man: Throughout both acts of the film, for different reasons in each.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Edward.
Played by: Anthony Michael Hall
- Big Bad: While not at first, as the story progresses, it becomes clearer that Jim is the main antagonist of the film, actively attempting to keep Kim and Edward apart from each other.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He's so possessive over Kim he's willing to get into a fight with a guy with scissors for hands over her.
- Disney Villain Death: He is pushed out of the window at the top of the castle by Edward.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Kim eventually turns on him too, threatening him while he gives Edward a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Famous Last Words: "Hey! I said, stay away from her!"
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: He is stabbed with Edward's scissors before being pushed out of the window in the climax.
Played by: Dianne Wiest
- Parental Substitute: She's basically a mother to Edward for most of the story and she never once doubts his innocence, though she eventually concedes that bringing him to her home was a mistake, even if she had the best of intentions.
- Shrinking Violet: She tends to get steamrolled by her noisier, pushier neighbours.
- Women Are Wiser: Compared to her absurdly oblivious husband, Pegg is far more aware of the situation when things go sour for Edward.