Characters in EastEnders
open/close all folders
Kathy Beale (Gillian Taylforth)
- The Reveal: Kathy Beale, Ben and Ian's mother, was never killed while she was away from the square, and Phil knows it having met with her
Ian Beale (Adam Woodyatt)
- Aesop Amnesia: Occasionally Ian will have an epiphany and realize that he should pride his wife and kids above money... it normally lasts about 2 weeks
- Fatal Flaw: Greed.
- Constantly digging himself into deeper lies.
- Parental Favoritism: Particularly, when Peter and Lucy were played by: Thomas Law and Melissa Suffield. He preferred Peter over Lucy.
- Shortly before her death, Ian showed intense favoritism toward Lucy naming her his "success story", Peter was not pleased to overhear this.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Played straight with Cindy and Mel. Not his wife but Denise Fox is seen as this too.
- Unto Us a Son and Daughter Are Born: His and Cindy's twins: Peter and Lucy.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Though this has largely been forgotten, in the early years, he was desperately trying to win his father's approval.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Alfie Moon , the pair became firm friends after Alfie arrived in Walford in 2004, one's a conman and a near bigamist with a criminal record and the other's a serial spouse with the habit of been a miser they are the best friend either man has ever had.
- Really Gets Around: No one knows how but he's been married to four attractive women and now engaged to another. Even though both were/are prostitutes, Janine Butcher and Rainie Cross count.
Bobby Beale (Eliot Carrington; previously Alex Francis, Rory Stroud)
- Accidental Murder: Fought with his sister Lucy and killed her by accident.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Tiffany Butcher.
- Missing Mom: His mother, Laura, died when he was a baby. Jane became his 'adopted' mother who he lives with after his sister Lucy was murdered
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Ian was convinced that Garry Hobbs was his father as he had a secret vasectomy. He didn't wait six weeks.
- The Other Darrin: Alex Francis left to focus on school, he was replaced by Rory Stroud.
- Parental Substitute: He largely thinks Jane is his mother.
Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden)
- Abusive Parents: But Eric did love him and his siblings despite the violence. Similarly, Phil, despite his protectiveness, was quite abusive to his own son, Ben which in turn caused Ben to carry some of those abusive traits himself.
- Addled Addict: Phil became addicted to crack cocaine as well as alcohol. He set the Queen Vic on fire, nearly killing himself and mum, Peggy before admitting his problem and getting clean.
- Aesop Amnesia: Similar to Ian, Phil on many occasions tries to go legit and make an honest man of himself, but old habits die hard.
- Bald of Awesome
- Citizenship Marriage
- I Coulda Been a Contender: Phil had a real shot at being a pro boxer, but bottled his big chance.
- Alcoholic Parent: Was one and father Eric was one too.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
- Heartwarming Moments: After a lifetime of being Ian Beale's bully/enemy, Phil was seen comforting and even hugging him after Ian broke down over his daughter Lucy's murder.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At his core Phil is this, he saved Peter Beale from drowning, took Jay in after Billy lashed out at him and after Lucy's murder comforted a devastated Ian, coming to tears himself
- Papa Wolf: He staged the scene of Heather's murder as a burglary and destroyed evidence to protect Ben and Jay, he also nearly battered Christian Clarke with a baseball bat when he believed Christian had made a move on Ben. He was only prevented from tearing his fiancÚ Stella limb from limb for abusing Ben because she decided to rob him of the satisfaction and committed suicide.
- Pet the Dog: Phil took this to a whole new level when Linda Carter's dog Lady Di had a litter of puppies. Phil, noticing the runt of the litter was not breathing, gave the puppy mouth to mouth resuscitation and ensured its survival.
- Woman Scorned: Became a victim of this after being shot by ex-wife, Lisa and ex-girlfriend, Shirley on his own wedding day!
Sharon Mitchell (nee Watts, nee Rickman) (Letitia Dean)
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Ended up marrying her adoptive brother, Dennis and having his baby. Dennis ended up dying in her arms after being stabbed in the middle of the square
- Incest Subtext: It's implied that 'Dirty' Den has a little more love for his 'Princess' Sharon. The fact she ended up marrying her adopted brother is ironic
- Love Triangle: Possibly the most famous ever. Between Sharon and the Mitchell brothers, Phil and Grant; affectionately known as 'Sharongate'.
- Mama Bear: To her son, Denny.
- Not Blood Siblings: Dennis Rickman and Sharon.
- Really Gets Around: Was married to Grant Mitchell, had an affair with his brother Phil. Was engaged to Tom Banks, who died in a housefire trying to rescue Little Mo Mitchell. THEN she got together with Den's estranged son, Dennis Rickman; staying together with him even after discovering he's her adoptive brother. He was stabbed in an attack arranged by Phil Mitchell. THEN she got married to Phil Mitchell!
- Scandalgate: In the mid 90's, the show ran a storyline where Sharon had an affair with Phil Mitchell whilst married to his brother, Grant. Nicknamed 'Sharongate'.
- Trauma Conga Line
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Does not get on with Peggy Mitchell.
- Addled Addict: Was addicted to painkillers. She relapsed after being attacked and left for dead at her own bar, Found out that Phil was behind the attack to which she retaliated and tried to fleece him for all the money he had. She decided against it after realising how sorry he was and they got married. Only for him to be shot by his ex/lover Shirley Carter.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Husband Dennis died in her arms after being stabbed
Billy Mitchell (Perry Fenwick)
- Butt Monkey
- Long-Lost Relative: his son Dan and granddaughter Lola
- Parental Abandonment: Was brought up in a care home.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Was married to both Little Mo and Honey, both very attractive.
Roxy Mitchell (Rita Simons)
- Abusive Parents: averted, is probably the only Mitchell over 20 who wasn't abused
- Daddy's Girl: Was definitely this with Archie until the full extent of his evil was revealed.
- Fag Hag: with Christian.
- Long-Lost Relative: Danielle, her niece.
- Parental Abandonment: Glenda.
- Fatal Attractor: Not the luckiest in love. Was married to Sean Slater who left her, married Alfie Moon who decided he still loved his ex-wife, Kat Slater on Roxy's wedding day. Her current love interest, Aleks is a slimy liar who's still married and has a child Roxy has no clue about!
- Big Screwed-Up Family: She's a Mitchell.
- Brainless Beauty
- Love Triangle: Got involved with her sister Ronnie's boyfriend, Jack Branning and ended up pregnant with his child.
- Mama Bear: Would do anything for her daughter, Amy.
- Really Gets Around
- Whodunnit: Was a suspect in the murder of Archie Mitchell.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Not exactly 'pimped out' but definitely not traditional during her wedding to Sean Slater! The dress was VERY short at the front, revealing her stockings underneath.
- Ms. Fanservice
Ronnie Mitchell (Samantha Womack)
- Abusive Parents: Oh boy. Was raped by her father Archie by age 13. Her daughter was adopted the moment she was born at 14 as her mother was manipulated into leaving. Her long lost daughter is blackmailed into keeping her true identity secret, only to be hit by a car upon revealing the truth to Ronnie. She miscarried a baby after Archie pushes her into a bar. No wonder she has 'issues'.
- Broken Bird: Upon discovering she was pregnant with Charlie's child, she acquired a GUN to protect herself, paranoid that history would repeat itself.
- Dark and Troubled Past: See above!
- Disney Death: After being in a car crash on her wedding day she is rushed to hospital and flat lines soon after. Everyone is crying and saying their goodbyes, then she comes back.
- The Dog Bites Back: She finally snaps when Carl attempts to molest her and makes the fatal mistake of putting his head over an open car boot...
- Gender-Blender Name: Ronnie is revealed to be short for Veronica. The only person who seemed to call her her full name was her father, Archie..
- Ice Queen
- Long-Lost Relative: Danielle, her daughter who was adopted against her will
- Love Triangle: Jack, Ronnie & her sister, Roxy. Especially heartbreaking when Roxy ends up pregnant, Ronnie's child with Jack dies from SIDS and kicks off the baby-kidnap storyline..
- Luke, You Are My Father: Was this to Danielle.
- Mama Bear: To Amy, as she responds so frighteningly following her kidnapping by Carl's brother she manages to disturb PHIL. One could argue Carl himself got it too if Ronnie's reasoning for killing him is to be believed, though it was also self defence.
- She is actually taking up the matriarchal mantle of Peggy Mitchell herself in recent days.
- Parental Abandonment: Glenda
- Pay Evil unto Evil: To gangster, Carl.
- Put on a Bus: Left in July 2011 after being sent to prison for the abduction of Tommy Moon.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Comes back to Walford five months pregnant with Charlie's baby
- Tangled Family Tree
- The Woobie
- Trauma Congaline: Is driven to this when Carl tries to rape her and, bringing back memories of Archie, she murders him before putting his body in a car and putting the car in a crusher.
Ben Mitchell (Currently Harry Reid. Previously, Charlie Jones, Joshua Pascoe.)
- Cure Your Gays: He claims to no longer be gay. No one except his girlfriend Abi buys it.
- Darker and Edgier: When played by Charlie Jones, Ben was a likeable character, who loved dancing and was just trying to make Phil proud. Then he was recast to Joshua Pascoe.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Killing Heather.
- Nice Guy: At first.
- Put on a Bus: To prison.
- Very Punchable Guy: The number of times he's had his nose broken...
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: As was seen coming a mile off, he finally snapped from years of abuse from Phil.
Jay Brown (Jamie Borthwick)
- Adults Are Useless: This has been Jay's experience anyway, he's practically raised himself
- Berserk Button: DO NOT insult his dead father
- Beta Couple: He and girlfiend Abi Branning are probably the most stable couple on the whole show
- Beware the Nice Ones: Jay's a nice, laid back easy going guy but he can turn quite nasty and violent if he needs to.
- Black Best Friend: Best mate Dexter
- Book Dumb: Though he's hardly The Ditz, Jay is certainly not very academically bright. But what he lacks in Academic smarts he certainly makes up for in street smarts
- Break the Cutie: Almost too many to count, he's certainly one of the writers favorite punching bags
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Abi, Lola, Kitty and (though not a girl) Ben all displayed attraction towards Jay, did he realize? Nope
- Deus Angst Machina Life really seems to have no other reason for his existence than to just completely break him down and destroy him at every available opportunity
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments
- Disappeared Dad: Jay's dad was in prison for the first 11 years of his life, then got out of prison only to be brutally murdered a year later
- Dogged Nice Guy: His unrequited crushes on Lauren and Lucy in his younger years
- Incompatible Orientation: It was heavily implied several times that step brother Ben had a crush on him
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Used to be this until around two years ago, now he's dropped the jerk and is just a general Nice Guy
- Missing Mom: She died of cancer. You can start to see why Jay's The Woobie of the show at times
- Out of Focus: Currently. He's barely appeared in the last six months, and has being playing second fiddle to Dexter Hartman for over a year.
- Trauma Congaline: In his six years on the show Jay has lost his grandmother and mother, been abandoned by his grandfather, seen his father get brutally murdered, been placed in care, been beaten by his foster father, witnessed a murder and been emotionally blackmailed and forced to cover it up having clearly negative affects on his mental health and was left homeless, jobless and penniless when the truth came out. All before his 18th birthday.
- The Woobie: Though originally very boisterous and kind of unsympathetic, Jay grew into a very nice young man..... it was just unfortunate that with that change in personality came a majority of his tragedy.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His need and desire for a father figure of his own constantly has Jay trying to impress people, most notably Phil Mitchell who treated Jay like one of his own
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on girlfriend Abi with a girl on holiday. To be fair to Jay, he's always strived for a family of his own and Abi had just basically told him she didn't want a kid with him and he was devastated.
Carol Jackson (Lindsey Coulson)
- Mama Bear: Don't mess with her family. Just don't.
- Mrs. Robinson: She once slept with a guy, like 25 years younger.
- Really Gets Around: All her four children have different fathers.
- The Topicof Cancer: Has recently gone into remission after a long-running breast cancer storyline which also involved her daughters, Bianca and Sonia worrying if they carried the same cancer gene. Bianca didn't, Sonia did
- Will Theyor Wont They: Her and David Wicks. They've been one of the longest on-off couples on the show.
- They did.... then they didn't after Carol realised she didn't want to marry him after all
- Outliving One's Offspring: Son, Billie Jackson died of alcohol poisoning.
Liam Butcher (James Forde)
- Book Dumb: Liam's school grades aren't all that due to the fact he suffers from dyslexia.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Cindy didn't like him back, and to really make things worse she's pregnant by Liam's best friend
- Nice Guy: Seems to be the only one in his entire family who ever spares a thought for other people
- Out of Focus: Despite being the eldest of mum Bianca's children, it's very rare for Liam to get any screen time compared to younger siblings Morgan and Tiffany (especially Tiffany). Averted starting in 2013; He now gets story lines of his own because his actor is now over 16.
- In With The Crowd: Desperate to fit in, Liam ended up becoming friends with a bunch of thugs who got him into a lot of trouble
- Hopeless Suitor: Has a hopeless crush on Cindy Beale who ended up pregnant with Liam's best friend's baby
Whitney Dean (Shona McGarty)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Bastard Boyfriend: This is what Tony, her mother's boyfriend ended up being. After grooming her from the age of 12, Whitney finally confessed what had been happening to Bianca.
- Incompatible Orientation: On top of all her other love life disasters, Whitney fell for her gay best friend Johnny Carter.
- It got better..she ended up with his older brother, Lee instead!
- Parental Neglect: Her mother abandoned her and hasn't shown any interest in keeping contact. Bianca has adopted her as her own.
Sonia Fowler (Natalie Cassidy)
- Teen Pregnancy: Became pregnant with Martin Fowler's baby as a teen. She gave birth to baby Chloe on the sofa. Chloe is given up for adoption despite Pauline Fowler's pleas.
- Bi the Way: Sonia's sexuality has been explored multiple times which would lead to people 'labelling' her as bisexual. She's had long term relationships with men but also had lesbian encounters including her friend, Naomi and Tina Carter.
- Disappeared Dad: Never knew her real father.
- Happily Adopted: Her daughter, Chloe was adopted by a happy family until they were killed in a car crash. Chloe's name was changed to Rebecca and she now lives with her biological father, Martin Fowler.
- Dysfunctional Family
Kat Moon (Jessie Wallace)
- Alpha Bitch: Has her moments
- Broken Bird: Was sexually abused as a teenager by her uncle which resulted in a pregnancy. The child was Zoe. Is now recovering from severe burns from a housefire started by her husband, Alfie who only did it to get money from the insurance, not realising she was in the house at the time.
- The Lad-ette: Played up in her early days.
- Mama Bear: To Zoe. Her son, Tommy (Especially after he was abducted by Ronnie Mitchell) and the newborn twins
- Parental Substitute: To Shenice.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheats on Alfie, with Derek. Was still married to Alfie when she slept with his cousin Michael and had his baby.
- You're Not My Mother
Mo Harris (Laila Morse)
- Honest John's Dealership: Her mate, Fat Elvis, can get ANYTHING.
- Out of Focus: In 2013, she's only appeared in two episodes
Alfie Moon (Shane Ritchie)
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Sad Clown: Sometimes.
- Nice Guy: Very Friendly to everyone
- Beware the Nice Ones:Especially when Kat cheated on him with Derek
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: After he realised Kat was in their home, which he had set alight for the insurance payout, he risked his life to save her, this was after he had been blown off his feet by an explosion triggered by Mo's dodgy haircare products
- Only Sane Man: During Stacey's return story, he was deeply concerned about the pregnant Kat and the legal convictions which could occur by assisting a wanted criminal
- Odd Couple: With Heterosexual Life Partner Ian and later on with his Manipulative Bastard cousin Michael who seemed to actually like him despite sleeping with Kat and fathering Tommy
- Promotion to Parent: Alfie raised his much younger brother Spencer after the death of their parents with help from their paternal grandmother.
- Big Brother Instinct: Took a beating meant for Spencer by some gangsters.
- Big Second Cousin Instinct: Served prison time in place of his younger second cousins Jake and Danny when they committed credit card fraud.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ian Beale, the pair became firm friends after Alfie arrived in Walford in 2004, one's a conman and a near bigamist with a criminal record and the other's a serial spouse with the habit of been a miser they are the best friend either man has ever had.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After he set his family home alight for the insurance payout, unknowingly to him, Kat was in the house and his heartbroken reaction to her severe burns as a result has to seen to be believed
Stacey Branning (nee Slater) (Lacey Turner)
- Love Triangle: Stacey, Bradley and his dad, Max. Revealed on Christmas Day via a DVD that Max's daughter, Lauren put in on purpose.
- Rape as Drama: Was raped by Archie Mitchell. eventually killed him in the biggest Whodunnit storylines ever
- Mama Bear: To her daughter, Lily.
- Mood-Swinger: turns out Stacey has bipolar disorder, just like her mother Jean
- Really Gets Around: When she first arrived on the square.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: When she killed Archie Mitchell for raping her
- Ms. Fanservice: More so in her early days.
Dot Branning (nee Colwell formerly Cotton) (June Brown)
- As the Good Book Says: In spades.
- Catchphrase: "Oh I say!"
- Doting Grandparent: To a logical extreme with her natural grandchildren, a justified trope as she knew none of them as young children therefore she tries to the best grandmother she can.
- Gossipy Hens: A trait for the elderly of Walford.
- Hypocritical Humour: "You know me, I ain't one to gossip, but..."
- Happily Married: To Jim Branning, her first marriage to the elder Charlie Cotton went sour very quickly leaving her to raise son Nick alone
- Long-Lost Relative: And how! Dot has discovered the existence of three different children Nick fathered without her knowledge: Ashley, Dotty and the recently revealed Charlie and was horrified to discover that her half-sister Rose's son Andrew was fathered by her ne'er-do-well first husband Charlie Cotton Senior.
- Shipper on Deck: Very much so for Charlie and Ronnie. Ronnie been pregnant with her great-grandson helps.
Charlie Cotton (Declan Bennett)
- Disappeared Dad: Originally played straight but later subverted as it becomes clear Nick is aware of Charlie's actions and has played some part in his eldest sons life enough for Charlie to know him and address as 'Dad'.
- Dead Guy Junior: Averted although Charlie is named after his paternal grandfather given he is likely in his early thirties, Charlie Snr was very much alive in Charlie's early life.
- Dark Secret: Implied to be impersonating a policeman and that he knows more about his father, Nick's 'death'. His shady dealings with funeral director, Les Coker imply he's hiding something that could break poor Dot's heart.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Was definitely surprised to find he got Ronnie Mitchell pregnant. She turned up at his door, sporting a baby bump. The two look like they may have a potential spark.
- Impersonating an Officer: Appeared originally to be a Detective Constable however this was not the case: after Emma Summerhayes discovered this Charlie resorted to blackmail to keep her quiet.
Max Branning (Jake Wood)
- Abusive Parents
- Dirty Old Man: Is shaping up to be a slightly younger variant of this, Peter Beale calls him this trope word for word once the secret comes out that he was Lucy Beale's secret sexual liason before she died. Lauren also lampshades how he likes them young.
- Disappeared Dad: Max and his abandonment of Bradley when he was young.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Played straight with Tanya and Vanessa. A little more debatable with Kirsty.
- Really Gets Around: now sleeping with the police officer who's supposed to be investigating Lucy Beale's murder case
Abi Branning (Lorna Fitzgerald)
- Beware the Nice Ones: Abi has become increasingly aggressive and angry, culminating in a fight with Lucy upon discovering her sexual liasons with her dad, and even wishes she HAD killed her in a chilling confrontation with her parents.
- She has also tried to drown her own sister, as well as beat up Stacey in a fit of rage while she was still pregnant.
- The Beard: Is this to Ben Mitchell who claims he's no longer gay. She's in denial about it.
- The Cutie
- Daddy's Girl: As opposed to Lauren.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Max clearly doesn't like Abi dating Jay. Doesn't need to worry about that any more as Jay broke up with Abi as he not only realised he loves Lola but he didn't want to move to Bolton with her when she went to university
- He also doesn't approve of her dating Ben Mitchell. Not so much because he's an ex-con, but more because he's using her as a beard.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: She is the responsible one to Lauren's foolish.
Lauren Branning (Jacqueline Jossa currently. Previously, Madeline Duggan.)
- The Alcoholic
- Emo Teen
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Had a relationship with her cousin Joey who wasn't exactly innocent. Had an affair with married chef, Jake who she met at her AA meetings. He was accused and sent to prison for the murder of Lucy Beale as well as a brief relationship with Dean Wicks who's recently raped Linda. Finally seems to be with nice guy, Peter Beale.
- Little Miss Snarker
- The Other Darrin: Was recast to Jacqueline Jossa, during the tenure of Bryan Kirkwood.
- Really Gets Around: Has either slept with or had relationships with a lot of the younger male cast.
- She's Got Legs: Seen in her outfit at Sharon and Phil's wedding.
- Women Drivers: Run her dad, Max over when she was a young teen
- Ms. Fanservice: When she hit 18 and her alcohol issues took over, Lauren's interest in clothing did too..
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Lucy's girly girl, especially in her teens. Also with Abi.
Masood Ahmed (Nitin Ganatra)
- I Have No Son
- The Gambling Addict
- Hypocrite: a gambling addict who has tried to run off with a (yet another) then-married woman... twice now is it?
- He gets called on it twice by Syed. Once when he punches Christian even though the Qur'an teaches non-violence and once when he brings up the two examples above.
Tamwar Masood (Himesh Patel)
- Bollywood Nerd
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: Was severely burned after his evil step-father Yusef set fire to family home. The memories were too much when the Moon family home was set alight, causing Tamwar to run.
- Deadpan Snarker: And HOW!
- Middle Child Syndrome
- The Stoic
Shabnam Masood (currently Rakhee Thakrar, previously Zahra Ahmadi)
- The Other Darrin: Was originally played by Zahra Ahmadi until she left in 2008. The role was taken by Rakhee Thakrar in 2014 when Shabnam returned to the square
- Ice Queen: Shabnam is particularly cold since she returned in 2014, not being very sympathetic to her colleague Denise's problems.
Patrick Trueman (Rudolph Walker)
Denise Fox (Diane Parish)
- Domestic Abuse: Suffered this at the hands of ex-partner, Owen. Ended up being locked away in a run-down house after her husband, Lucas' lies unravelled; revealing he accidentally killed his ex-wife and then Denise's ex-partner, Owen AND covering it up.
- Happily Married: To Kevin Wicks before his death.
- Lonely Together: In Denise's case anyway. She doesn't particularly love him and was planning to leave him but his daughter Lucy was murdered, causing her to not bring herself to leave
- May-December Romance: With the much younger, Fatboy.
- All Work Vs All Play: Slight case of this with Kim.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Again with Kim.
Kim Fox (Tameka Empson)
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The foolish to Denise's responsible.
- The Ditz: Isn't known for her intelligence but Kim is always positive and provides the majority of the comic relief in the show.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Arrived back on the Square pregnant much to her sister, Denise's surprise.
- Who's Your Daddy?: The father of Kim's baby was kept a secret for a while, both in-universe and out. His name is Vincent Hubbard and he's Kim's husband. He also has history with Ronnie Mitchell..
- Instant Birth, Just Add Water: Kim gave birth to her daughter, Pearl prematurely. Conveniently it was in the Queen Vic pub on the live episode for added drama. Inconveniently it was during Sharon and Phil's wedding. She gave birth with no issues at all and relatively quickly although her daughter was kept in hospital for a few weeks after the birth.
Fatboy (Ricky Norwood)
- Jive Turkey
- Odd Friendship: As his character profile on the BBC EastEnders website states thusly: "You might expect his best mate to be an Asbo-wielding ex-con, but it is in fact bible-bashing octogenarian Dot Branning, who prefers to address him by his real name. She teaches him biblical tracts, he teaches her street lingo. It's a beautiful relationship"
- Nice Guy: Under all that 'street lingo' is a kind hearted young gentleman who willingly stood up against Whitney's pimp Rob Grayson and befriended Dot Branning whom he affectionately calls "Mrs B".
- Beware the Nice Ones: But don't take him for granted, after he discovered Whitney had cheated on him with Tyler Moon, he hunted Tyler down and punched him to the ground. He also did not take his father's meddling in his best friend Mercy's life well.
Cora Cross (Ann Mitchell)
- Apron Matron
- Deadpan Snarker
- Faux Interracial Romance: Cora dated an African-American sailor in the 60's, resulting in a pregnancy. Her daughter, Ava was born but her parents forced her to give the child up for adoption as she was mixed race.
- Parental Abandonment: When her husband fell ill with cancer, Cora would go out drinking and gambling to forget her problems; leaving her two young daughters Tanya and Rainie to look after him at the age of 13.
- Mama Bear: Even though she wasn't there for them during their childhood, Cora is fiercely protective of her daughters; especially concerning Tanya when one of Max's numerous affairs are revealed. She also doesn't give up trying to reconnect with her adopted daughter, Ava and her son Dexter when they arrive in Walford.
- Long-Lost Relative: Her daughter, Ava who was forced into adoption. Her grandson, Dexter also counts.
Lola Pearce (Danielle Harold)
- Kissing Cousins: Actually a bit more than that; Lola's third cousin Ben is the father of her daughter Lexi.
- Teen Pregnancy: Her first storyline involved her finding out she was pregnant at age 15.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Though originally hard faced and troublesome, Lola has matured and is now generally quite nice.
- She still has her moments where she panics over her motherhood and does some stupid things, but now she is generally nowhere near as fiery as before and keeps a level head. This is most evident where Bianca doesn't pay her immediately, thinking she talked Morgan and Tiffany out of their staple food.
- Mama Bear: Would do anything for her daughter, Lexie. Even attempting to kidnap her when she was threatened by social services.
Shirley Carter (Linda Henry)
- Darkand Troubled Past: She is NOT fond of her dad. Is actually Mick's mother.
- Deadpan Snarker: She plays this trope to a tee when she's in the mood (which is most of the time).
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Is revealed to be Mick's mother to a shellshocked Phil during a drunken moment
- Mama Bear: Used to be this with her younger siblings Mick and Tina, now it sort of extends to their kids.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: Refuses to believe that Dean raped Linda.
- Out of Focus: After Heather's death, she hasn't really done much.
- Parental Abandonment: Left her husband, Kevin and her three kids Jimbo, Carly and Deano when they were young. Jimbo died of cystic fibrosis when she was gone.
- Woman Scorned: Towards Phil Mitchell. After the pair begin sleeping together behind his fiance, Sharon's back; Phil promises Shirley that he will leave Sharon for her. He doesn't and Phil marries Sharon anyway. Shirley reveals their affair to Sharon on the wedding day but isn't believed. Shirley then shoots Phil and runs.
Mick Carter (Danny Dyer)
- Darkand Troubled Past: Shares this with Shirley.
- Luke Iam Your Father: His mother is actually Shirley. This puts all the Stan as his father comments to big question
- Nice Guy: Is very firm but fair to his family and friends.
- Papa Wolf: Even his own grandfather is not free from his wrath, you dare insult his family and he WILL make you pay for it. Additionally, the scene where he accepts Johnny unconditionally after he comes out of gay was so heartwarming it received acclaim.
- Tranquil Fury: Mick is a very calm and controlled person to a fault, but when Stan jokes about the mortality of his elder son Lee on duty...that smile is not one of good humor.
- This controlled rage manifests again when Dean arrives planning to torch the Vic in revenge for the ruined life he has over the accusations and takes Nancy hostage. Upon a moment of oppertunity with that tranquil look in his eyes, gets the lighter out of Dean's hands and crashes him at the neck underfoot, leaving him unconcious only because Nancy bashed him off before he could snap his neck!.
- Roaring Rampageof Revenge: Trailers for Christmas 2015 show Mick going from Tranquil to full on explosive rage after he discovers that (his unknown Brother) Dean raped his wife, throwing him across a table in the vic and smashing things
Linda Carter (Kellie Bright)
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially very hostile toward Shirley, however over time they have been able to accept each others presence.
- Jerkass: Has trouble accepting her son's sexuality at first, later decides to send him to Sharon's new bar as a spy against their competition.
- Rape as Drama: Was raped by her nephew Dean, who's actually her brother-in-law. This is also unknown to all the family bar Shirley and Aunt Babe. The rest of the family were downstairs in The Queen Vic pub, unaware of what was happening.
- Page Three Stunna: Was photographed topless on Page 3 when she was a teenager. The photo was found by Dexter who proceeded to pass it around to his friends. The picture is now proudly behind the bar (the obvious hidden by some conveniently placed bar snacks!)
Nancy Carter (Maddy Hill)
- Honor Before Reason: Nancy is perhaps the most moral of the Carter family to a fault. She tells Shirley the truth of what Mick did to Dean in the Vic cellar
- Middle Child Syndrome: Shades of this can be seen. Her older brother, Lee is a war hero who's highly respected and her younger brother, Johnny is a mummy's boy who's recently come out. This can be seen clearly during Nancy's 21st birthday where her party is a little less than exciting, resulting in her mother, Linda going berserk. The family are however unaware of mother, Linda being raped only days earlier and is still coming to terms with it.
- Tomboy: Has only ever been seen wearing baggy clothes with her hair constantly in a ponytail.
Tina Carter (Luisa Bradshaw-White)
- But Not Too Bi: She sleeps with Billy Mitchell early after they meet but later says it was just a bit of mistaken fun and that she is a lesbian.
- Lampshade Hanging: She knows people would find it odd that despite claiming to be a lesbian, she has a daughter, and is happy enough to talk about it.
- Nice Girl: A very caring and nice person, ESPECIALLY toward Cindy.
- Domestic Abuse: Girlfriend Tosh pushed her into a door frame rather violently which resulted in a cut above Tina's eyebrow. It's also been hinted that Tosh has been a bully and possibly violent towards Tina in the past.
Lee Carter (Danny-Boy Hatchard)
- The Charmer: Lee's shown his charming side and eventually won over Whitney Dean, even after his fling with the late Lucy Beale.
Dean Wicks (Matt DiAngelo)
- Date Rape: Spiked Stacey Slater's drink at a house party and proceeded to blame it on Bradley Branning. Nothing happened to Stacey but the drink was still spiked.
- Rape Discretion Shot: When Dean rapes his aunt, Linda Carter the actual rape isn't shown; just poor Linda's stunned face. Granted the show is pre-watershed
- Parental Issues: His dad, Kevin died in a car crash. His mother, Shirley left the family when Dean, his sister Carly and their older brother Jimbo were young. Jimbo died whilst Shirley was absent. Dean is still trying to come to terms with being reunited with his mother and letting her back into his life. That is until she shot Phil Mitchell and left him AGAIN
- Self-Serving Memory: Like many real life rapists, he genuinely believes his victim consented.
Aunt Babe Smith (Annette Badland)
- Dark Secret: Implied to be between her and Shirley's mother, Sylvie Carter.
- Turns out that she had the disappeared Sylvie in her house all along, but because she was looking after her now she has Alzheimer's' disease.
- Also turns out that Stan had previously dated her.
Les Coker (Roger Sloman)
- Under Taker: His lifelong occupation, Like Father, Like Son as he confirmed during his first and initially only a guest appearance to arrange Pat Evans' funeral in 2012.
- Ascended Extra: Les was a guest character who arranged Pat Evans' funeral in early 2012, but returned for a small number of scenes during that year. In 2014 he returned as a regular cast member with his Gossipy Hens wife Pam and references were made to a grandson named Paul.
- Darker and Edgier: Somewhat the case as he returned in the midst of the mysterious Charlie Cotton storyline and took a backhander from Charlie for arranging the funeral for the presumed dead Nick Cotton
- Dark and Troubled Past: The Cokers unnamed son's early death is rarely discussed but his loss clearly plays on their minds making his parents cheerful and sociable demeanours and pride in their grandson Paul heartbreaking
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: However he genuinely seemed unsettled by lying to Dot over the situation despite the backhander he is Happily Married to Pam and supported a devastated Peter Beale when Peter went to see Lucy's body in the Coker and Son's chapel of rest
- Happily Married: To Pam, his wife of nearly 50 years despite implying he was a client of Pat's in her days as a prostitute to Carol Jackson and David Wicks.
- Remember the New Guy: Prior to his first appearance, the undertakers used by Walford was never named. Les stated due to his 'friendship' with Pat the funeral of Ian Beale and David Wicks' father Pete Beale was the first of many associated within Albert Square dealt by Coker and Sons.
- Family Business: The Coker family have been in the funeral business since 1915, Pam fears for their grandson Paul's future, leading to Les blackmailing an angry Charlie Cotton to keep his silence over the funeral of 'Nick'
- Food as Bribe: Les was bribed by Mick to get Stan to quit being a Lazy Bum around the Vic by pretending to address Stan's funeral arrangements It Works to Mick and Nancy's glee- Les's price? A single malt whiskey. Nancy now considers him a Cool Old Guy because of this.
- Outliving One's Offspring: In discussion with Billy Mitchell Les revealed that his and Pam's son had died "some time ago" leaving behind his son Paul, whom Les described as the splitting image of his father
Pamela 'Pam' Coker (Lin Blakley)
- Nice Guy: Just seems to be the loveliest lady ever.
Aleks Shirovs (Kristian Kiehling)
- Whatthe Hell Is That Accent?: Aleks is Latvian. The actor portraying him is German-Latvian.
- Secret Relatioship: Aleks left his wife and daughter in Latvia to come to London. His girlfriend, Roxy Mitchell has no idea they exist. They end up turning up in the square, forcing Tamwar Masood to lie to Roxy. Aleks and his wife are still attracted to each other and sleep together in the market office.
Donna Yates (Lisa Hammond)
Tiffany Butcher (Originally Dean) (Maisie Smith)
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Bobby Beale.
- Deliberately Cute Child
- Fiery Redhead: Downplayed.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Originally believed to be fathered by Whitney's father, a DNA test later showed she was actually Ricky's.
- Mouthy Kid: She takes after Bianca.
Morgan Butcher (Devon Higgs)
- Deliberately Cute Child
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chicken nuggets.
- Not so much anymore after a little hint about their true contents...
Janine Butcher (Charlie Brooks currently. Previously, Rebecca Michael, Alexia Demetriou)
- Bad Samaritan
- Crying Wolf: most of her family's convinced she murdered her grandmother Lydia
- Even Evil Has Standards: Janine has no problem with destroying lives, but genuinely seemed horrified by Rob's exploitation of Whitney (though guilt, marginal family loyalty and fear of reprisal helped)
- I Take Offense to That Last One: the only insult that actually seems to upset Janine is reference to one of her... previous lines of employment.
- It's All About Me: Janine Butcher will manipulate, con or even murder for her own self gain, all the while genuinely convinced she is Walford's purist Woobie forced into unscrupulous schemes by the cruel world around her.
- Gold Digger
- Morality Pet: Billy, Tiff, Whitney and Lydia are the most recent/longstanding examples.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Grant Mitchell (Ross Kemp)
- Abusive Parents: while Phil was their dad's preferred target, grant was on the receiving end too.
- Bald of Awesome
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Put his brother in a coma after discovering he had sex with his 1st wife Sharon, could get very jealous over his 2nd wife Tiffany despite not being in love with her, and went on the run from the law for violently beating the man who was sleeping with his 3rd wife Carla.
Mark Fowler (Todd Carty)
- Arch-Enemy: To Nick Cotton.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Crazy Jealous Guy: threatened to rape his wife when she cheated on him.
- Ill Boy: He was an HIV positive.
- Momma's Boy: Much to his chagrin.
- Nice Guy: Usually.
- Put on a Bus
- Bus Crash: He succumbed to AIDS a year after leaving the square.
Peggy Mitchell (Barbara Mitchell)
- Catch Phrase: "Get Outta My Pub!" or anything about 'Fah-mily.'
- Very Special Episode: Her one episode returns in 2013 and 2015.
Archie Mitchell (Larry Lamb)
- Abusive Parents: had one and was one
- Asshole Victim
- Parental Favoritism: He clearly preferred Roxie over Ronnie.
Bradley Branning (Charlie Clements)
- Break the Cutie: His life after he moved into Walford.
- Disappeared Dad: Max and his abandonment of Bradley when he was young.
- Dogged Nice Guy
Amira Masood (Preeya Kalidas)
- Alpha Bitch
- The Beard
- Spoiled Brat: At least until her father goes to prison.
- Unwanted Spouse
- My Secret Pregnancy
- Moment Killer: New Years Eve, among other times.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She tells Syed that she hopes Christian and he will be very happy right before she leaves. Of course, that doesn't last long, judging by how she acted her second time around on the Square. Either she was being extremely sarcastic, or her time spent locked up with her dad has made her very bitter.
- Put on a Bus: After The Reveal, she leaves Walford with a secret of her own.
- She's returning in Fall 2011, with baby in tow.
- Foot-Dragging Divorcee
Ryan Malloy (Neil McDermott)
- Mr. Fanservice: They really loved to have him in as little clothing as possible. One example; on his stag night he randomly decides to take all of his clothes off in public and proceeds to run around giving the audience a view of his bare naked bottom.
- Put on a Bus
Pat Evans (Pam St. Clement)
- Mama Bear: As long as you're not her actual children.
- Parental Neglect: She wasn't the best mother to her sons: David and Simon.
Darren Miller (Charlie G. Hawkins)
Anthony Moon (Matt Lapinskas)
Derek Branning (Jamie Foreman)
- Big Brother Bully
- Disappeared Dad: To Alice and Joey.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: The most prominent villain in 2012, his death? A heart attack.
- Large Ham: While you can point out numerous instances the "I AM DEREK BRANNING!" line on the 2012 Christmas Episode sounded so cheesy and overdramatic
- Nice Hat: Wore a Flat cap more often then not when he was undertaking criminal activity
Jean Slater (Gillian Wright)
- Abusive Parents: Indirectly, but her mental problems took a toll on Stacey and Sean.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Put on a Bus: With her lover.
Tanya Branning (Jo Joyner)
- Beware the Nice Ones: After finding out her husband Max had an affair with daughter in law Stacey, Tanya exerted her revenge by burying Max alive
- Wrong Name Outburst: During a Live Episode, said "How's Adam?" to Jane - referring to Ian Beale, who is played by Adam Woodyatt.
Zainab Masood (Nina Wadia)
- The Dog Bites Back: Triumphantly dumps and dresses down Domestic Abuser Yusef Khan on the streets. When this only leads him to try kill Masood out of spite, she tricks him into thinking his daughter is in the house fire he caused out of despair, leading him to walk into his own death.
- Hypocrite: gets called on it more than her husband...
- I Have No Son
- Mama Bear: Deep down, from Nina Wadia herself, Zainab's intense homophobia is fueled partially by her need to protect her son from all the hatred he would receive from the Muslim community. She didn't do a good job of it.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: to Amira and Afia, Christian as well in her more "tolerant" moments
Jack Branning (Scott Maslen)
- Abusive Parents
- Chick Magnet: Has had Ronnie, Roxy, Tanya, Sam, Sharon, Chelsea and various others after him over the years
- Lantern Jaw of Justice
- Mr. Fanservice: Judging by his countless shirtless scenes over the years
- Dirty Cop: Former
- Putona Bus: As Of 15th of October 2013
Syed Masood (Marc Elliott)
- Straight Gay
- Coming-Out Story
- Cure Your Gays: He tries to go to counseling to get rid of all those 'icky' gay feelings. It didn't work.
- The Charmer
- Secret Relationship
- Black Sheep: His backstory.
Michael Moon (Steve John Shepherd)
- Aloof Big Brother: To Anthony and Tyler.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning his mother's death.
- The Chessmaster
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Killed Off for Real
- Manipulative Bastard
- The Sociopath
- Morality Pet: Alfie served as this as he was happy to let Alfie raise Tommy as his own son referring to Tommy as "Alfie's boy" mostly every chance he got. Also on the night of his murder Michael bid a fond farewell to Alfie and Alfie was devastated by his death.
Alice Branning (Jasmyn Banks)
- Daddy's Girl: To Joey's chagrin.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father Derek walked out on her when she was very young and they didn't get back in contact until she was 18.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Offering to kill Janine
- May-December Romance: Alice is in her early twenty's at least, Michael is in his forties. They have sex.
- Putona Bus: Following her arrest all her moments are off camera
- Unwitting Pawn; In Michael's scheme to regain custody of Scarlett.
Joey Branning (David Witts)
- Mr. Fanservice: David Witts is rumored to have had a no nudity agreement put into his contract, however that hasn't stopped the wardrobe department from dressing him in very tight revealing shirts.
- Kissing Cousins: Lauren
- Putona Bus: After losing all hope of saving his sister he takes off feeling there is nothing left for him.
Carl White (Daniel Coonan)
- Abusive Parents: His mother still abuses him.
- Domestic Abuse: Used to hit Kirsty.
- Killed Off for Real: Ronnie does him in.
Lucy Beale (Hetti Bywater; previously: Eva Brittin-Snell, Casey Anne Rothery and Melissa Suffield)
- Alpha Bitch: Will stop at nothing to get what she wants, best example was her vendetta against former best friend Lauren for getting with Lucy's ex-boyfriend Joey, even though Joey had dumped Lucy before this even happened
- Break the Haughty: Was generally quite a nasty spoiled daddy's girl until 2012 when her father had a breakdown and went missing leaving Lucy caring for her younger brother Bobby all on her own, bare in mind she was 17 at the time, and the emotional effect it had on her was clear
- Dawson Casting: Averted. Hetti Bywater who plays Lucy is all most a year younger then her character
- Depending on the Writer: Lucy can either be a lost, vulnerable girl who lashes out to defend herself or she can just be an out and out bitch
- Drugs Are Bad: She is murdered the following episode after its revealed she takes cocaine.
- Dumb Blonde: Completely averted. Lucy's probably the most intelligent teenager on the show
- Killed Off for Real: Killed in her own home by a blow to the head from her brother Bobby with her jewellery box. Her body was then dumped on Walford Common by Jane.
- Odd Friendship: With the Square's resident Asian Nerd Tamwar Masood.
- She's Got Legs: When played by Hetti Bywater, she had very long legs emphasized by her clothes.
- Teen Pregnancy: Got pregnant as a sixteen year old but had an abortion
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly girl to Lauren's tomboy.
- Very Special Episode: She received the very first flashback episode of EastEnders on February 19th 2015, detailing the events of the night she died.
Johnny Carter (Sam Strike)
- Break the Cutie: After he came out and his mother refused to acknowledge him. Noticeable is that Johnny had only been on-screen for a week when this happened, he's the quickest cutie to ever be broken. Also, bare in mind that there's probably more on the way; no character as sweet, innocent and cute as Johnny is ever gets it easy
- Nice Guy: Probably the most realistic and normal young male on the show, Johnny is just out and out sweet to everybody
- Pretty Boy
- The Woobie: The way he was outed to his family wasn't nice, and then a few days later he was outed to the entire community by his aunt. It helps the the actor seems to be very talented at doing puppy dog eyes.
DC Emma Summerhayes (Anna Acton)
- Fair Cop
- Forbidden Fruit: Max Branning is this to her due to his part in the Lucy Beale murder investigation. She goes there anyway.
- Killed to Uphold the Masquerade: Figured out the identity of Lucy's killer, but died under unrelated circumstances before she could tell the police.
- Police Are Useless: The Beale family more than likely think this of her now her affair with Max Branning is in the open.
Fiona 'Tosh' Mackintosh (Rebecca Scroggs)
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Domestic Abuse: Implied to have been abusive towards girlfriend, Tina Carter. Was shown on-screen to push her into a door frame during an argument and cutting her eyebrow.
- All Lesbians Want Kids: Her and Tina save up for artifical insemination. After Tosh miscarries, Tina's cousin Dean suggests using his sperm to impregnate Tosh whilst they were drinking.
Dexter Hartman (Khali Best)
- Angry Black Man: He gets pissed of the most.
- Black Best Friend: To Jay.
- Butt Monkey: He does get into trouble a lot and has been punched a few times.
- Jive Turkey: Just like Fatboy.
Peter Beale (Ben Hardy, previously: Francis Britton-Snell, Alex Stevens, Joseph Shade, James Martin, Thomas Law)
- Ambiguously Bi: For some reason a lot of fans think the character might be gay. This is despite him having at least 4 on-screen romantic interests
- Big "NO!": When he learns his twin sister, Lucy, has died, he breaks down screaming in his father's arms
- Big Brother Instinct: Even though Lucy is his twin sister, he would look out for her as much as he could and did feel super guilty for leaving her behind when Ian had his mental breakdown. He even began supplying Lucy with drugs to help control her addiction, only to become addicted himself. He is devastated when she dies. He's also very protective of younger brother, Bobby and to a lesser extent, Cindy.
- Break the Cutie: since Lucy's death he's been trying to stay strong for everyone, but it's clear he's keeping his emotions private and inside he's falling apart
- Camp Straight: When played by Thomas Law. Good lord. Ben Hardy's portrayal is very different.
- Dead Guy Junior: He is named after his deceased grandfather, Pete, who died on the day of his birth.
- Doom Magnet: A serious case could be made. His grandfather died on the day of his birth, his mother died when he was 5, his elder half-brother ran away from home only to return end up shooting Peter's stepmother and then his twin sister dies. Plus, he was nearly killed in a car crash, was set upon and beaten up by a gangster, as well as being attacked by a peadophile. The guy's had it rough.
- Mr. Fanservice: Since his return as played by Ben Hardy, we've been seeing quite a lot of his very muscular arms. He's also had a shirtless scene
- Nice Guy: Peter's kind and pleasant to pretty much everyone he meets.
- The Other Darrin: He been played no less that 6 different actors.
- Out of Focus: When played by Thomas Law, it was very rare that Peter would get any notable story-lines compared to twin sister Lucy. Peter was so underused that in 2009 he only appeared in 29 out of 212 episodes broadcast that year, leaving him the least seen character of the year. He's had more focus in his 2013 return though, becoming a character with a massive storyline in the Who Killed Lucy Beale? plot
- Put on a Bus: Was written out between December 2010 and June 2013 when he moved to Devon following an argument with Ian
- Left again in 2015, this time to move to New Zealand with Lauren after finding out who killed Lucy.
- Shirtless Scene: It did at least have some narrative context though
Stan Carter (Timothy West)
- Cool Old Guy: Oddly so, despite his established abrasive ways Stan gives grandson Dean advice on the lack of common sense regarding an affair the lad was having by telling him leaving texts on his phone from his mistress was an idiotic move but not because he was angry at Dean for having a fling but because he could get and did get found out! And was willing to help Dean sell stolen mobile phones for a cut of the profits, naturally.
- Retired Badass: Served with the British army in Malaysia during the the time of either the Malayan Emergency or the Communist Insurgency War, relating this to Mick and Lee after Lee relived a traumatic event he witnessed in Afghanistan to him and Mick. Worked as a fishmonger after his brief time in the army.
- Jerkass: At the table for dinner he openly jokes about the 2 homosexual members of the family but what really sends everyone (Especially Mick) over the edge is he jokes Lee might be one but the next time they see him will be in a body bag coming home from tour in Afghanistan.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can on occasion show a softer side to his character despite his established Jerkass ways, he stepped in and comforted his great-granddaughter Nancy after she had a fit and shows real regret over the way he raised Shirley, Mick and Tina and took on grandson Mick as his own son and considers him as such.