open/close all folders
Tropes Applying to All of the Members:
Full Name: Zhang Yixing
"Iíll do my best as myself, then together with my team Iíll walk towards that most glorious day."
- The Cutie: Very caring, innocent, and even shy. Most fans of EXO consider Lay to be the most moe in EXO.
- Renaissance Man: Lay can sing, is known for being one of EXO's best dancers, can compose music, can play acoustic guitar and piano, and is adorable to top it off. He is also said to cook the best, and even took part in a cooking show
Full Name: Kim Jongdae
"I canít tell everyone words of thanks, so I will repay you all with more exciting stages and better songs."
- Animal Motif:
- A dinosaur, since his face looks like one.
- Also a camel, since he also looks like one.
- Perpetual Smiler: His mouth is naturally curved into a smile, and he is one of the more jovial members.
- Stage Name: Chen in contrast to real name Kim Jongdae.
- Villainous Cheekbones: Averted; he has prominent cheekbones but is one of the sweetest members of EXO.
Full Name: Kim Minseok
"No matter what, we'll keep the same mentality we started out with."
- Badass Adorable: An adorable and gentle-looking guy who knows taekwondo. According to the other members, he's the strongest out of all of them.
- Older Than He Looks: Surprisingly the oldest member despite his baby face.
- The Prankster: When asked who was the funniest one in the group, EXO-M pointed to him.
- Stage Name: Xiumin in contrast to real name Kim Minseok.
- The Quiet One: Doesn't talk very much. His 2014 new year's resolution was to speak more.
Full Name: Huang Zitao
"Nothing in the world is impossible for me."
- Animal Motif: "I'm EXO-M's Kung Fu Panda Tao!"
- Badass Adorable: An adorable and delicate-looking guy who also knows Wushu.
- The Big Guy: For EXO-M; he knows kung-fu and is the second tallest in EXO-M (third or fourth tallest in EXO).
- Big Little Brother: For EXO-M, he was the second tallest, then the tallest in EXO-M as of June 2014.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Tends to have prominent eye circles. It's how he got the nickname "panda".
- Cute Bruiser: Cute and child-like who also knows Wushu.
- Despair Event Horizon: Accidentally liked a rated Taohun fic on Weibo and received much flack. He lost any hope of trying to excuse himself and so later changed his profile description to "Donít want to explain anything anymore, donít know anything. Can only say that Weibo is a trap."
Full Name: Kim Joonmyun
"You're pretty now. But if you don't learn to love yourself, even if you are pretty, you're not truly considered as a beauty."
- The Cutie: Adorkable and very friendly and caring towards his members.
- The Determinator: Definitely deserves a mention here. He trained for seven years while going to school.
- Has a Type: Likes girls who are shorter than him and have double eyelids and long, non-colourful hair. Averted later, when he amends his "type" to something less specific.
- The Smart Guy: Apparently got one of the best marks in his school while he was attending.
- Stage Name: Suho in contrast to real name Kim Joonmyun.
Full Name: Byun Baekhyun
"Life is only a path of efforts."
- Alliterative Name: Byun Baekhyun
- Annoying Laugh: Tends to sound like he's having an asthma attack. Some may find it endearing though.
- Badass Adorable: Adorable and delicate he may look, he also lnows hapkido.
- Big Damn Heroes: Stood up for a girl being bullied for being overweight in high school.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: The little guy to Chanyeol's Big Guy, despite being the older one by half a year.
- Blinding Bangs: His hairstyle during the last half of Overdose promotions.
- Has a Type: Likes bright, petite girls who play hard to get. This is extra amusing after he was revealed to be dating Taeyeon, who is pretty much exactly that.
- Light 'em Up: His power during the MAMA MV.
Full Name: Park Chanyeol
"No matter how hard it is, I'll always smile like an idiot."
- Keet: Though he is rather tall, he definitely fits as he's cute and talkative.
- Lovable Coward: As a trainee, Sehun asked Chanyeol to help him with a boy harassing him over Nate-On. Chanyeol ended up getting scared and exiting the chatroom. Still a beloved member though.
- Motor Mouth: Most prominently during Two Moons and Black Pearl where he raps incredibly fast.
- Reaction Shot: Known as the "Reaction King" because of his memorable reactions.
Full Name: Do Kyungsoo
"To bind us and keep us strong in a special world, where we belong."
- Not So Stoic: Chanyeol believes that he is the hardest to prank, but also the most amusing.
- One Head Taller: Kris and Chanyeol are about a head taller than him.
- Performance Anxiety: Got especially bad after a mishap in one of EXO's first broadcasts. He got better, but it still persists as of the Overdose era.
- Weak, but Skilled: Doesn't have much raw physical strength, but is very good with "critical hits". He frequently employs jiujijtsu when keeping the others in line.
Full Name: Kim Jong-in
"I'd have no regrets dying on stage."
Full Name: Oh Se-hoon
"We may be separated into two groups, but really, we are one big family."
Full Name: Lu Han
"Don't give up on your dreams and keep reaching."
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Lu Han is known for being one of the more innocent and good-natured, if not shy, members of EXO. While filming for a movie during June 2014, he called out a stalker on Weibo, stating that she's too audacious, and that he wouldn't dare post what she said on his account. Previously, he'd also shown fans waiting for him the phone number of a stalker who'd called Lu Han.
- Big Brother Instinct: Little brother instinct in this case, when fan insulting Xiumin in Chinese in front of Lu Han got him so angry that he dragged Xiumin away in a huff.
- Bishōnen: All of the members are this, he just takes this trope Up to Eleven with his pretty, slim and tall figure. So much that Suho said that his ideal woman was one that looked like a long-haired Lu Han.
- Breakout Character: Well-liked since MAMA era, enough to get a role in a movie during Overdose era.
- Captain Obvious: When asked what the biggest difference is between Korean and Chinese fans, Lu Han said "the language".
- Cool Big Sis: Gender-inverted, often thought to be this for EXO's members, as he tends to them rather often.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Suho compared him to a girl, and Lu Han was far from amused by this.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Marilyn Monroe. In fact, he pretty much hates being compared to a girl in general, even jokingly.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Suho confessed to having a crush on Lu Han twice, during EXO's first Showcase, and during the Overdose era.
- The Face: Was officially one for EXO, and this especially rang true during the MAMA era.
- Has a Type: Likes pale, long haired, quiet girls.
- Hates Being Touched: He hates people lying down on his bed, and hates his head being touched. Amusingly enough, he is pretty touchy-feely with his bandmates.
- Heroic RROD: As of September 2014, he had to miss 2 upcoming concerts because he was deathly ill. He left SM and EXO because of his health issues.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: Often wishes to be referred to as manly.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: He's good at singing and dancing, he is known to be one of the band's best-looking/prettiest members, he can act well enough for SM to give him a role in a movie, he can speak Korean pretty well.
- The Lancer: Lu Han was rumoured to be EXO-M's new leader, and is often seen as another hyung to the members aside from Kris.
- School Idol: Apparently was very popular at school before moving to Korea. He had his own fanclub.
- Shirtless Scene: His MAMA◊ album photos and the opening VCR of The Lost Planet concert has him topless.
- Shrinking Violet: Tends to be shy, though he is slowly opening up. Apparently, he got yelled at by staff during the MAMA era for being too shy.
- Slasher Smile: Yes, The Cutie has a pretty funny/creepy one.
- Stepford Smiler: With the way he cheerfully interacted with his fellow members and his playful attitude on camera, nobody knew that he was terribly ill and that he couldn't take being an idol any longer.
Full Name: Wu Yifan
"Life is a game. Play it."
- Big Brother Mentor: Once to Tao. Obviously no longer the case after leaving EXO.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Sports a thick pair of them.
- Canada, Eh?: Lived in Canada for a part of his childhood.
- Catch Phrase:
- "Maybe Next Time."
- The Determinator: Trained for five years before becoming a part of EXO, without prior knowledge of the language. According to fanaccounts, he suffered severe homesickness and racism.
- The Dutiful Son / Momma's Boy: Gently pleaded with his fans not to take pictures of his mother.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Reactions of fans and members alike to him leaving the group. It is especially implied that the members themselves did not know of his intentions beforehand.
- Flight: His power during the MAMA MV.
- Guttural Growler: Tends to sound like this when he raps.
- I Have Many Names: Li Jiaheng, Kevin Li, Wu Yifan, Kris Wu...Ben Ben..
- The Illegible: Has very questionable writing◊.
- The Leader: He was the leader of EXO-M. Many saw him as a Big Brother Mentor to EXO-M and EXO-K. He was demoted as of Wolf/Growl era after his first attempt to leave the group, and no longer possesses the role due to no longer being a member of EXO.
- Lovable Jock: Able to play basketball pretty well and is good at archery, and is also a good guy.
- Misery Builds Character: Said in an interview for a magazine that his job was full of hardship, but it would be meaningless if it weren't. Now Harsher In Hindsight, as apparently he couldn't bear working for SM any longer, and filed a lawsuit.
- Omniglot: Can speak English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Korean competently.
- Renaissance Man: Can speak 4 languages, play basketball, rap, sing, compose, act, play the drums, lead a very prominent boy band, and according to the director of "Somewhere Only We Know", is good at playing both the piano and cello, and actually played those instruments during the movie.
- Silk Hiding Steel: He has near perfect etiquette and is known for being very patient with his fans. He also helped manage EXO behind the scenes and was the first artist to file a lawsuit against his powerful entertainment company in 5 years after Han Geng.
- Stepford Smiler: Like Lu Han, he tried his best to seem happy to be an idol and was exceedingly gentle with his fans. Many fans suspected he was this long before he filed a lawsuit.
- Terrible Artist: So bad at drawing that fans started sarcastically calling him Kriscasso.