Following in the list of original characters introduced in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
. Please put all examples concerning returning characters from the original game in Characters.The Longest Journey
and examples for the sequel in Characters.Dreamfall Chapters
ZoŽ Maya Castillo
Seeker. Nomad. Dreamer.
Voiced by: Ellie Conrad-Leigh
The main character of Dreamfall
, ZoŽ is a college dropout living with her father and is Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
. ZoŽ gets roped into Stark/Arcadia problems when she begins looking for her ex-boyfriend, who was investigating WATICorp's Project Alchera.
- Action Survivor: Although she can throw a punch, she is no match for armed enemies (unlike April in Dreamfall, for instance).
- Deuteragonist: To April in the series overall, though the primary protagonist in her own games.
- Fanservice: Running around in her underwear in Dreamfall.
- Given Name Reveal: ZoŽ's middle name is first revealed by her hospital records in Chapters.
- Hikikomori: Resembles this in the beginning, though she's really not that happy about it and refers to it as a lapse of character on her part.
- I Will Find You: Her journey starts with her search for Reza, her best friend and ex-boyfriend.
- Missing Mom
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Has very pretty, big brown eyes, long black hair and pale skin.
- The Hero's Journey
- Pretty in Mink: Has a fur-trimmed coat as one of her costumes.
- Spoiled Sweet: Even though by the beginning of the game she is little more than a NEETnote and a freeloader with a really rich daddy, she is very brave, smart, kind and helpful.
- Stay with Me Until I Die: ZoŽ for Faith.
- The Stoic: Prefers to play it like that in danger.
- Trapped in Another World
- Ordinary High-School Student: Actually, she is a college dropout, but the rest fits.
Voiced by: Patrick Fitzsymons
Voiced by: Michael Ford-Fitzgerald
Soldier. Apostle. Assassin.
Voiced by: Gavin O'Connor (Dreamfall), Nicholas Boulton (Dreamfall Chapters)
The second new playable character in Dreamfall
. Kian is an assassin and missionary from Azadi, sent to Marcuria to hunt down "The Scorpion". Kian is deeply religious man, but is not blind in his zealotry, unlike his compatriots.
- Church Militant: He even calls himself a "missionary".
- He was part of a religious order that converted people... by killing them. The rationale being, that they might be reincarnated as believers.
- And he still remains faithful after he stops believing in the war against the Northlands. His rationale is that whatever his compatriots are trying to accomplish in Marcuria, it has nothing to do with their religion.
- Deuteragonist: More accurately a tritagonist to ZoŽ and April.
- Furry Fandom: He turns out to be this in-universe: when in the Oldtown, he notes upon seeing a female Zhid vendor that she is very attractive.
- Hero Antagonist: In April's storyline.
- Master Swordsman
- Mr. Fanservice: Just look at him! And he has a Shirtless Scene, too!
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Begins to question his empire's crusade towards the end of the game.
- By Dreamfall Chapters he does, in his own words, no longer believe that whatever the Azadi is doing in Marcuria is "the divine will of the Goddess."
- Super Soldier: He and, by projection, other Azadi Apostles.
- Sympathetic P.O.V.: In Dreamfall, playing as him allows the Azadi Empire to display some shades of gray, and helps April's goals seem considerably less sympathetic than they would have if she'd been the sole protagonist. One of the best moments of the game occurs when the two have a conversation and player control keeps shifting from one to the other, showing the range of his/her dialogue options and allowing the player to steer the character's opinion of the other.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
(Theoretically) Blind Bob
Voiced by: Andre Sogliuzzo
A Marcurian beggar whom ZoŽ meets in front of the Journeyman Inn. He is not actually blind, but he could
be, so his full name is Theoretically Blind Bob—he just often omits "Theoretically" because it's so long.
A mysterious robed figure in Marcuria who seems to represent the Six.
Voiced by: Jenny Maher
The newborn White Dragon April helped hatch in The Longest Journey
, currently living as a human in the Dark People's Library.
The Six, Empresses of Azadi
The heads of the Azadi Empire and the Goddess religion.
Voiced by: Jonathan Dow
The CEO of WATICorp.
Voiced by: Maryke Hendrickse
Second in command and the public face of WATICorp.
- Big Bad: Becomes the one for Stark at the end of the story
- Decoy Leader: She acts as the official leader of WATI-corp, but she gets her orders from Peats. At the end, she has the twins kill Peats, removing the Decoy from her title.
- Dragon Ascendant: She is fully in charge of WATIcorp after she has the twins impale Peats to death.
- The Starscream
- Tomboyish Name: She is commonly referred as "Sam", for example, by Peats right before she kills him, confusing some fans who thought that there was an unrevealed dude named Samuel involved.
- Valley Girl/Spoiled Brat: Implied to not really have all that good of a grasp on exactly what her company is doing, and attempts to make up for that by being a very unpleasant boss, but...
- Not So Harmless: ...she is aware and capable enough to scheme and carry out Peats murder.
The Undreaming is unchained.