open/close all folders
A young girl
with an abundance of attitude, Lucy is Elizabeth Pennykettle's daughter and serves as an Annoying Younger Sibling
to viciously defend
. She loves dragons and harbors a wildlife fetish that essentially fuels the plot of The Fire Within. She is stubborn and strong-willed
in the face of danger, often dragging David with her into such situations. Lucy has a reputation as a chatterbox with a vivid imagination. In later books, she is angsty
, refusing to believe that David is dead
. Her own dragon
, who aids Lucy in her escapades.
- Alice Allusion: Sort of. When David reads her an alternate universe version of Alice in Wonderland, Penny imagines up an image of a dragon child as Alice.
- Ascended Fangirl: Totally. Give her a chance to talk about any topic related to dragons (or squirrels) and she'll harp on for hours.
- Badass Adorable: Although she progresses into Bratty Half-Pint territory later on.
- Berserk Button: Harming animals or her beloved clay dragons will set her off like crazy. Suggesting, at any point in the series, that David is actually dead will earn you a one-way trip to the ER. Her crush on Tam can also make her explode if someone (Zanna) patronizes her on the topic. Also, Zanna herself isn't one of Lucy's favorite people in The Fire Eternal.
- Big Brother Worship
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Break the Cutie
- The Cassandra: She finally gets her Cassandra Truth when it turns out that David isn't dead, just as she believed all along.
- Cheerful Child
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When Zanna takes interest in Tam.
- Cool Big Sis: to Joseph Henry.
- Dark Action Girl: Or, y'know, just plain awesome.
- Action Girl: Once the Shadow is taken out, she reverts back to Lucy while still retaining her knowledge on how to kick butt.
- Disappeared Dad: Although it turns out that her father is actually a dragon. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Emo Teen
- Fiery Redhead
- Happily Married: To Tam! (Finally...)
- The Hecate Sisters: The maiden to Liz's mother and Gwilanna's crone.
- Heroic BSOD: She was abducted by an evil witch and lived on mushrooms in the Arctic for a few months. When she was eleven. What's one to expect?
- Honor Before Reason
- Little Miss Badass
- Loving a Shadow: Her crush on Tam can be seen as this, considering that she ended up with said crush through email correspondence with him.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: When Liz starts to explain all about Arthur, the first conclusion is that he is Lucy's father. Wrong. Liz quickens an egg, it hatches, Arthur comes home and she's nursing a newborn. His conclusion? She cheated.
- Parent with New Paramour: Lucy takes to Arthur with a Type 3 rating.
- Plucky Girl
- Ship Tease: Her and Tam. Constantly. Ties into All Love Is Unrequited.
- Show Some Leg: She tries this on Tam, but Zanna calls her out on it: "Why are you wearing a skirt?"
- Smitten Teenage Girl
- Teens Are Monsters: Definitely - and compared with how sweet she was as a little girl, it's almost heart-breaking.
- Undying Loyalty: To David.
Liz (Elizabeth) Pennykettle/Eliza Merriman
Elizabeth Pennykettle is the mother of Lucy Pennykettle, and David Rain's landlady. Liz is a potter, specializing in the creation of clay dragons that come to life
. She is the resident Team Mom
of the series and if anyone has a problem, you can bet she'll be the one to help them solve it
. A Proper Lady
, she holds the Morality Chain
of many a character and is most probably the kindest person in the Last Dragon Chronicles.
Zanna (Suzanna) Martindale/Rosanna
Zanna Martindale is introduced as a Perky Goth
and quickly becomes The Hero's
Titular of the series, dragons come in two forms: the 'true' dragons, and the animated sculptures made in their likeness. In the parallel universe of Fireworld they are the firebirds.
Extinct for roughly 50000 years, these are the gigantic, magical lizards of old.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Let's Get Dangerous: When attempting to fight Gwilanna, he tries to make his human host grow wings. It doesn't end well. It ends with a lot of bloody, gory muscles on show.
- Spirit Advisor: Although he doesn't talk much. Agawin usually just describes his wants or feelings to the reader.
Dragons of Wayward Crescent
Stygg & Griss
- Ax-Crazy: Stygg. He kills lots of families, just to replenish Grella's sewing supplies. He gets worse after ingesting dilute Ix.
- Blood Lust: Stygg, after becoming infected by diluted Ix in Gwilanna's blood.
- Jerkass: After all they did to Grella? You can't read those descriptions and not feel sick for the poor girl.
- Licking the Blade: Stygg does this after he cuts Gwilanna. This doesn't end well for him...
- Too Dumb to Live: Stygg.