Back to Dragon Ball
, Dragon Ball Z
, Dragon Ball GT
or to character index page
In order of appearance.
open/close all folders
World Tournament Announcer
World Tournament Announcer (天下一武道会アナウンサー; Tenkaichi Budōkai Anaunsaa)
Voiced by (Japanese): Kenji Utsumi (Dragon Ball), Hirotaka Suzuoki (Dragon Ball Z), Tamotsu Nishiwaki (Kai)
Voiced by (Latin American): Salvador Delgado
Exactly what the title says, a nameless blonde haired ring announcer who presides over the Tenkaichi Budokai tournaments (the official ones anyway). After a few encounters with Goku and his friends, he eventually starts to know them on a first name basis. He is always excited when they come to enter since something
is bound to happen when they get in the ring.
- Ascended Extra: Considering he always is featured when a (Earthly and official) tournament comes up. He even ages alongside the other characters with each appearance.
- Combat Commentator: It's what he does. Though in a bit of a twist he doesn't actually understand most of the fighting techniques himself, so he usually doesn't explain the details of how they work.
- Cool Shades: He is never seen without his trademark sunglasses, throughout all of his appearances.
- Deadpan Snarker: On occasion when Mr. Satan's around. He will proclaim Mr. Satan's awesomeness to the crowd (that's his job, after all), but it seems he is aware of the "Champ's" shortcomings.
Mr. Satan: Why are they all running away! Don't they know I'm here?
Announcer: Well, you didn't exactly stop that guy from blowing up the stadium earlier...
- Determinator: While he'll get clear if a ring destroying attack presents itself, he'll always make sure to keep announcing the action to the bitter end.
- Large Ham Announcer: His job is basically to get the crowd at the tournaments riled up, and he is really good at it. In private he's a bit more subdued.
- The Last DJ: He's one of the few not to buy any of Mr. Satan's lies, and even thought Goku was the one who defeated Cell (close enough). When seeing all of Goku's old and new friends, he comments that the last tournaments were boring, and looked forward to new fights.
- No Name Given: Yes, through all of his appearances. Toriyama never saw fit to give him a name.
- Only Sane Man: Particularly notable in the first tournament, when he points out the countless problems Roshi has probably created by destroying the moon. Of course, he's not that much saner than the rest of the cast: his attention quickly turns to its ramifications to the match at hand.
- Seen It All: He's known Goku since he was a kid and has been there in every tournament since. So, when Goku tells him straight to his face that he's been dead for seven years and is revived for one day, he says that after all he's seen him do, it'd be kinda stupid to doubt him.
Voiced by (Latin American): Mario Sauret
A quarterfinalist in the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament and a member of a race of pterodactyl-like dinosaurs called the Giras. A bully and a thug, Giran surrendered to Goku in the tournament after Goku beat his tricks and effortlessly destroyed a wall. He would meet Goku again later, having reformed a bit.
- Asshole Victim: Was murdered by Tambourine after terrorizing an animal village and stealing food.
- Big Eater: Seen eating an entire plate of chicken before his match.
- Breath Weapon: His Merry-Go-Round Gum, a rubbery substance that he uses to bind his opponents.
- The Brute: Relies primarily on raw strength.
- Combat Pragmatist: Used sneak attacks to try to get the edge on his opponent.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs/Ptero Soarer/hinoRampage: Vauge attributes of all three, his wings being the most notable.
- Fat Slob: Has a beer bully and is wasteful of food.
- Good Is Not Soft: Even when he acts good he can still be a jerk and a bully.
- Heel-Face Turn: In the anime especially when a filler episode shows Goku helping his village.
- Jerkass: Threatens to kill people who get in his way. He was revived by the Dragonballs twice and he has a couple Pet the Dog moments so he’s not evil.
- Know When To Fold Them: He gives Goku a hard time in their fight and even would've won via a ring out if it hadn't been for Nimbus saving Goku (though he had it contested and Goku was prohibited from using it further). However once Goku got his tail back and destroyed a part of the ring's wall as a test of strength. He's scared witless and quickly forfeits.
- Tail Slap: One of his signature attacks.
Nam (ナム; Namu)
Voiced by (Latin American): Gerardo Reyero
A semifinalist in the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament. Entered the tournament to buy water for his droughted village. Despite his best efforts, he’s bested by Goku in the end. Master Roshi gives him a capsule to get water to his village and later in a filler episode, they get their own water supply flowing back to the village. He returns for the next tournament but his defeated by Tien in the preliminaries.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Most likely can't afford shoes and he lives in a desert.
- Facial Markings: His bindi (the mark on his forehead).
- Ground Pound: Nam's most powerful move, though he actually turns around after the jump to slam head-and-arms-first into the target.
- In a Single Bound: Weaponized. See Ground Pound.
- Martial Pacifist: Only fights so he can get the money to buy water for his dying village.
- Nice Guy: Mentions on multiple occasions that he doesn't really like hurting people, and is pure-hearted enough to ride the Nimbus cloud during his appearance in a filler episode.
- The Quiet One: Rarely talks.
- Secret Keeper: Master Roshi eventually fills him in on his secret identity. Nam even helps him maintain the charade as a favor for giving him the free water.
- The Worf Effect: Suffers a brutal beatdown from Tien in the 22nd preliminaries, to show how dangerous Tien was.
Voiced by (Japanese): Youko Kawanami
Voiced by (Latin American): Carola Vázquez
A quarterfinalist in the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament. A competent fighter in her own right, Ranfan used her feminine ways to either seduce her opponents or pretend to be a frail, sensitive woman. She is eventually defeated by her opponent, Nam after he ignores the fanservice
- Action Girl: Her methods aside, she’s the first known female fighter in the tournaments, and her punches are so fast and hard they literally sizzle.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Had orange-red hair in the manga, which was changed to purple for the anime (see below)
- All There in the Manual: According to Toriyama's supplementary materials (an early Daizenshuu as well as the 1987 Bouken Special book), she settled down after the tournament and married a man named Trunks (a name that Toriyama would later re-use).
- Afro Asskicker: She has a huge purple afro on top of being a martial artist.
- Combat Pragmatist: Using her looks and Gazelle Gambit (below) to leave opponents open to a knockout or a ring out with her great strength.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Her most-powerful tactic is strips down to her bra and panties to shock male opponents.
- Pet the Dog: Minor case, she helped other fighters to find the missing Goku, and is actually the one who found him sleeping and immediately told everyone to retrieve him.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Strips down to her underwear to seduce Nam.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Part of her fighting strategy was screaming before Nam hit her, then colapsing on the ground crying after dealing a weak chop to the arm.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her purple Afro.
Bacterian (バクテリアン; Bakuterian)
Voiced by (Japanese): Yasuo Tanaka
Voiced by (Latin American): Eduardo Borja
A quarterfinalist in the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament. He is a massive, disheveled, fat man with an unbearable stench due to the fact that he supposedly has never bathed once in his entire life. Krillin defeated him due to Krillin farting in his face
King Chappa (チャパ王; Chapa-Ō)
Voiced by (Latin American): Humberto Solórzano
A former champion of the World Martial Arts Tournament who defeated his opponents without being touched. He participates in the 22nd and 23rd tournaments but is defeated both times in the preliminary round by Goku.
- Afro Asskicker: A big black one.
- Badass Beard: A goatee actually.
- Badass Normal: Won the world tournament without the benefit of using any ki abilities during a time where past and future winners alike (other than Hercule) used them prominently.
- Badass Teacher: Won the World Martial Arts Tournament without being touched and he teaches an entire school.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: The Hasshu-ken technique, which Goku would teach himself.
- The Worf Effect: He was hyped by Jackie Chun for being the untouched victor of a previous tournament and Goku out-classes him in both of their matches.
- Also happened when he and his entire school is murdered by Tambourine.
Man-Wolf (男狼; Otoko Ōkami)
Voiced by (Japanese): Masato Hirano
Voiced by (Latin American): Mario Sauret
A quarterfinalist in the 22st World Martial Arts Tournament and a werewolf who sought revenge against Jackie Chun. Because Chun destroyed the moon during the last tournament, Goku, who turned into a Great Ape returned to normal, but Man-Wolf, who was a spectator, was stuck in his wolf form. Jackie Chun defeated him with ease and helped to cure him.
Pamput (パンプット; Panputto)
Voiced by (Latin American): Mario Castańeda
A quarterfinalist in the 22st World Martial Arts Tournament who was an undefeated Muay Thai fighter and movie star. His complete and utter ignorance of his opponent, Goku, along with his own arrogance led to him being defeated in the quickest Curb-Stomp Battle
in all of Dragon Ball.
Hero (シェン; Shen)
Voiced by (Latin American): Carlos Segundo
A semifinalist in the 23st World Martial Arts Tournament who was a nerdy, klutzy middle-aged man. It is later revealed that he is being possesed by Kami so he can defeat Piccolo Jr. for good. While Hero (under Kami’s control) defeats Yajirobe in the preliminaries and Yamcha in the quarterfinals, Piccolo bests him and temporarily traps Kami in a bottle. After that, Hero is released from Kami’s control, not remembering anything.
- Anime Hair: As the picture provides.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: It becomes easy when you have a badass literally hiding inside you.
- Living Bodysuit: He's possessed by Kami.
- Nerd: Wears glasses, a white t-shirt, and a pocket protector. He's pretty much the poster child. He's even called a nerd by several people.
- Nerd Glasses: One of the reasons why no one takes him seriously.