Characters: Dracula Series
Character page for the 2013 television series Dracula.
open/close all folders
Dracula / Alexander Grayson / Vlad Tepes
Played By: Jonathan Rhys Meyers
- Adaptational Attractiveness: In the source material, he's a hideous monster (until he drinks blood) but here he's played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers, face of Hugo Boss.
- The Charmer: Is seductive to women and in public with his Grayson persona, he's kind of a cheeky industrialist type, a Victorian era vampire Richard Branson.
- Fake American: Dracula is Wallachian. He pretends to be American so others consider him a newcomer to the country.
- Fake Nationality: Meyers is Irish playing a Wallachian with an English accent who is playing an American businessman. In short, he's a dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
- Pet the Dog: Dracula of course has a soft spot for Mina, but he also seems to care about Renfield a good deal - when they first met he rescued Renfield from being beaten up and possibly killed, for no ulterior motive, and when Renfield is captured Dracula comes to his rescue while carrying out a Roaring Rampage of Revenge on the people who tortured him.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Van Helsing.
- Try to Fit THAT on a Business Card!:"And you are Vlad the Third, prince of Wallachia, second son of the House of Basarab, also known as Vlad Tepes, Vlad the Impaler—Dracula."
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: He wastes little time seducing Lady Jayne.
- Villain Protagonist: While the Order of the Dragon is plenty evil, Dracula himself is no saint.
- Wicked Cultured: Enjoys the finer things in life, and in this adaptation, displays a a kind of P.T. Barnum/Edison vibe, selling his wireless electricity all over London.
Played By: Jessica De GouwA medical student and the reincarnation of Dracula's long-dead wife.
- Alliterative Name
- Burn the Witch!: In her previous incarnation, this is how she died.
- Composite Character: She has some of John Seward's traits from the books, since both studied medicine under van Helsing.
- Hospital Hottie: She's in medical school.
- The Ingenue
- Nice Girl
- Of Corsets Sexy
- True Blue Femininity: She favors the colour blue. This helps display the Red Oni, Blue Oni aspect of her relationship with Lucy.
- Reincarnation Romance: In a past life, she was Dracula's wife.
Prof. Abraham Van Helsing
Played By: Thomas KretschmannMina's lecturer at university and secret ally of Dracula.
- Crusading Widower
- Enemy Mine: He is the one to release Dracula from his crypt; this is due to their shared enmity toward the Order of the Dragon.
- He Who Fights Monsters: He has no qualms about murdering innocent people to get his revenge against the Order.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Dracula.
- Would Hurt a Child: He kidnaps Browning's children cuts off the finger of the son and sends it to them, then feeds them both Dracula's blood, turning them into vampires and setting them on Browning as he burns all of them in a building. Just...wow.
Lady Jayne Wetherby
Played By: Victoria SmurfitA fashionable woman who is immediately enticed by the King of Vampires. She's also a secret member of the Order of the Dragon.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her outfits favor this.
- Ancient Conspiracy: She's a high-ranking member of the Order of the Dragon.
- Bi the Way
- Canon Foreigner: She never appears in any original material. Though could possibly be the first of Dracula's "brides" given some of her traits.
- Dark Action Girl: She singlehandedly kills two vampires in the London Underground and decapitates a third later on.
- Distracted by the Sexy: She scoffs at the idea that Grayson might be a vampire, only for Mr Browning to accuse her of this trope.
- The Dragon: To Browning.
- Eternal Sexual Freedom: Despite living in the Victorian Era, she seduces Grayson without any particular regard for social norms, and doesn't seem to suffer any consequences for it either.
- Fake Brit: Victoria Smurfit is Irish.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Killed Off for Real: Possibly, she's stabbed but Dracula feeds on her not long after. She good chance she was turned. However with the series ending on a cliffhanger, we'll never know.
- Lady of War
- Of Corsets Sexy
Played By: Oliver Jackson-CohenA gauche journalist who's desperate to climb the ranks of aristocracy.
Played By: Nonso AnozieDracula's loyal confidant and keeper of secrets.
- Adaptational Badass: While in the book, Renfield was a sycophantic slave and utterly insane bug-eater, here he's a cool and collected man.
- Amoral Attorney: He's a lawyer by trade.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Reinfield undergoes this throughout "The Devil's Waltz", at the hands of Davenport's agents, who are trying to find out who Grayson loves most, so that Davenport can have revenge for Grayson's role in his son's death. To his credit, Reinfield doesn't talk, and holds up until Dracula rescues him.
- The Dragon: To Dracula.
- Fake American: Nonso Anozie is an Englishman.
- Honest Advisor: To Dracula.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: For Dracula. He arranges everything that Dracula can't, such as daylight business.
- Race Lift: His race isn't mentioned in the book, but Renfield has always been depicted as a white fellow. In this adaptation he's played by Nonso Anozie.
- The Renfield: To put it elegantly, DUUUUUH.
- Servile Snarker: Often makes truly deadpan sarcastic remarks to his employer; also, he is the only one allowed to affect mannerisms that Dracula would find disrespectful from anyone else.
Played By: Katie McGrathA rich society girl who harbors secret romantic feelings for Mina, her best friend.
- Absolute Cleavage: Firstly, it's Katie McGrath. Secondly, like Lady Jayne she goes for outfits with a plunging neckline.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Lucy is straight in the novel (and the vast majority of previous adaptations) but a lesbian in this series.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the book, she was one of the sweetest characters while human. Here, she's manipulative and lustful, working with Dracula and against Harker.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She's in love with Mina, engaged to Jonathan.
- Alpha Bitch: She's snarky and makes no secret of how boring she considers Jonathan to be.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Mina.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fake Brit: Katie McGrath is Irish. In contrast to her best known role she adopts an English accent to play Lucy.
- Incompatible Orientation: For Mina, it seems.
- Lady in Red: She favors red, which helps display the Red Oni, Blue Oni aspect of her relationship with Mina. Could also be considered Foreshadowing if you ever read the book.
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Of Corsets Sexy
- Self-Made Orphan: Maybe. In the final episode, her first act as a vampire is to bite her mother. If she changed her into a vampire or not is unknown due to the series cancellation.
- Transhuman Treachery: In the season one finale, she's turned into a vampire.
Played By: Ben Miles
- Affably Evil: He always presents himself as a polite, respectable, gentleman when speaking to others and is always very cordial with those that he works with. However, he will not tolerate failure from his underlings who do not bring him results and he will show just how ruthless he can be when provoked.
- Ancient Conspiracy: A high-ranking member of the Order of the Dragon.
- Bad Boss: He has no qualms with threatening those that serve him with severe punishment or killing those under him without the slightest hesitation if they should fail him.
- Big Bad: He's seemingly the current leader of the Order of the Dragon in London.
- Beard of Evil
- Knight Templar:Believes what he and the Order of the Dragon are doing is in the best interest of England and the world; justifying their cruel and malicious actions, self-righteous, and cold-blooded murder of innocents and their war profiteering in the name of God.