Characters: Dracula Series
Character page for the 2013 television series Dracula.
open/close all folders
Dracula / Alexander Grayson / Vlad Tepes
- Adaptational Attractiveness: In the source material, he's a hideous monster (until he drinks blood) but here he's played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers, face of Hugo Boss.
- The Charmer: Is seductive to women and in public with his Grayson persona, he's kind of a cheeky industrialist type, a Victorian era vampire Richard Branson.
- Fake American: Dracula is Wallachian. He pretends to be American so others consider him a newcomer to the country.
- Fake Nationality: Meyers is Irish playing a Wallachian with an English accent who is playing an American businessman. In short, he's a dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
- Pet the Dog: Dracula of course has a soft spot for Mina, but he also seems to care about Renfield a good deal - when they first met he rescued Renfield from being beaten up and possibly killed, for no ulterior motive, and when Renfield is captured Dracula comes to his rescue while carrying out a Roaring Rampage of Revenge on the people who tortured him.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Van Helsing.
- Try to Fit That on a Business Card:
"And you are Vlad the Third, prince of Wallachia, second son of the House of Basarab, also known as Vlad Tepes, Vlad the Impaler—Dracula."
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: He wastes little time seducing Lady Jayne.
- Villain Protagonist: While the Order of the Dragon is plenty evil, Dracula himself is no saint.
- Wicked Cultured: Enjoys the finer things in life, and in this adaptation, displays a a kind of P.T. Barnum/Edison vibe, selling his wireless electricity all over London.
Played By: Jessica De Gouw
A medical student and the reincarnation of Dracula's long-dead wife.
Prof. Abraham Van Helsing
Played By: Thomas Kretschmann
Mina's lecturer at university and secret ally of Dracula.
- Crusading Widower
- Enemy Mine: He is the one to release Dracula from his crypt; this is due to their shared enmity toward the Order of the Dragon.
- He Who Fights Monsters: He has no qualms about murdering innocent people to get his revenge against the Order.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Dracula.
- Would Hurt a Child: He kidnaps Browning's children cuts off the finger of the son and sends it to them, then feeds them both Dracula's blood, turning them into vampires and setting them on Browning as he burns all of them in a building. Just...wow.
Lady Jayne Wetherby
Played By: Victoria Smurfit
A fashionable woman who is immediately enticed by the King of Vampires. She's also a secret member of the Order of the Dragon.
Played By: Oliver Jackson-Cohen
A gauche journalist who's desperate to climb the ranks of aristocracy.
Played By: Nonso Anozie
Dracula's loyal confidant and keeper of secrets.
- Adaptational Badass: While in the book, Renfield was a sycophantic slave and utterly insane bug-eater, here he's a cool and collected man.
- Amoral Attorney: He's a lawyer by trade.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Reinfield undergoes this throughout "The Devil's Waltz", at the hands of Davenport's agents, who are trying to find out who Grayson loves most, so that Davenport can have revenge for Grayson's role in his son's death. To his credit, Reinfield doesn't talk, and holds up until Dracula rescues him.
- The Dragon: To Dracula.
- Fake American: Nonso Anozie is an Englishman.
- Honest Advisor: To Dracula.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: For Dracula. He arranges everything that Dracula can't, such as daylight business.
- Race Lift: His race isn't mentioned in the book, but Renfield has always been depicted as a white fellow. In this adaptation he's played by Nonso Anozie.
- The Renfield: To put it elegantly, DUUUUUH.
- Servile Snarker: Often makes truly deadpan sarcastic remarks to his employer; also, he is the only one allowed to affect mannerisms that Dracula would find disrespectful from anyone else.
A rich society girl who harbors secret romantic feelings for Mina, her best friend.
Played By: Ben Miles
- Affably Evil: He always presents himself as a polite, respectable, gentleman when speaking to others and is always very cordial with those that he works with. However, he will not tolerate failure from his underlings who do not bring him results and he will show just how ruthless he can be when provoked.
- Ancient Conspiracy: A high-ranking member of the Order of the Dragon.
- Bad Boss: He has no qualms with threatening those that serve him with severe punishment or killing those under him without the slightest hesitation if they should fail him.
- Big Bad: He's seemingly the current leader of the Order of the Dragon in London.
- Beard of Evil
- Knight Templar:Believes what he and the Order of the Dragon are doing is in the best interest of England and the world; justifying their cruel and malicious actions, self-righteous, and cold-blooded murder of innocents and their war profiteering in the name of God.
Played By: Jessica De Gouw