Characters: Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
aka: Disgaea 4
For characters that appear in multiple games in the series, see the main character sheet
Beware of unmarked spoilers.
open/close all folders
Main Characters (Hades Party)
Tyrant ValvatorezThe Protagonist
of Disgaea 4. Valvatorez is a vampire who was once known as "The Tyrant" for his incredible power. However, after a certain incident he refused to consume human blood, which caused his powers to rapidly decline and his eventual demotion to a lowly Prinny Instructor in Hades. Despite this he takes his demotion in stride, and although he can be a bit of an idiot at times he possesses a ferocious and unbreakable sense of demonic honor.
- Addiction Displacement: Has replaced vampiric blood-drinking with sardines.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Mr. Weirdo", oddly enough. Artina always says it with a smile.
- Almighty Janitor: Even after enough Level Grinding to overthrow the Corrupternment, Val insists that he's merely a simple Prinny Instructor. Also, despite the De-power, Zetta of all people considers him a worthy opponent.
- Anti-Hero: Inverse type 3. He's a pretty nice guy, and while he's clearly NOT evil despite his claims he's certainly morally ambigious, meaning that its pretty hard to determine if he's good or neutral.
- Badass: He's more than earned the title, in both his past and present forms.
- Bad Liar
- Benevolent Boss: Though he's only doing it to keep his promise and while he may be strict, he takes his job as Prinny Instructor seriously and the Prinnies really respect him for it. This is a stark contrast to Bad Boss Etna. It even shows in the Prinnies' work ethic as they seem a lot more competent.
- Some of the Prinnies in the post-game even lampshade this if spoken to, bitter that other Prinny instructors aren't as good or protective a boss as Val.
- This is one of the reasons why Laharl recruits Valvatorez post game in D2. The Prinnies won't listen to them so he needs someone who can educate the Prinnies from the bottom up. If you have Valvatorez talk to the Prinnies of all personalities inside the castle, you find out that all the Prinnies worship the ground Valvatorez is on as he educates him. Even the lazy Prinny personality that tends to dismiss everyone is motivated to do work because Valvatorez's speech is inspirational for Prinnies.
- Berserk Button: Anything Prinny-related that breaks the rules, and insulting sardines. More seriously, breaking promises and war. Both of these things have something to do with Artina.
- Blood Sucking: Averted for now thanks to a promise.
- Brought Down to Badass: Terrifyingly strong for someone who's supposed to have been de-powered. He insists that this is the power of sardines.
- Cannot Spit It Out: It's pretty obvious that he has feelings for Artina, which he, of course, denies. Nobody buys it.
- Cape Swish: One of his more common animations, especially when he delivers a Rousing Speech or when he really means business. (Which is often)
- Happens whenever a battle is about to start as his combat animation.
- Celibate Hero: "Women are truly unnecessary for someone who is on the road to becoming a ruler."
- Classical Movie Vampire: Back when he was "The Tyrant".
- Classy Cravat: Also back when he was "The Tyrant".
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He ain't nicknamed "Mr. Weirdo" for nothing.
- Creepy Cool Crosses
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He may be a gullible Prinny Instructor who loves sardines, but he was once called a Tyrant for a reason!
- Cute Little Fangs
- Daywalking Vampire: Doesn't appear to be harmed by sunlight.
- De-power: Due to not drinking blood, though he isn't any weaker because of it. Though this is potentially reversed in the Artina ending, in which she finally allows him to drink her blood.
- Determinator: Whether it's keeping his promises, having Prinnies obey the Prinny rules, or correcting a typo, nothing will stop him from achieving his goals even if it means going up against God.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: In an extended scenario of the Normal Ending, Valvatorez is summoned by God to be warned not to anger him. Valvatorez's response is not only to give a speech to God to not interfere again but punches God in the face. However, Valvatorez thinks that the voice might not have been God at all...
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: While Valvatorez was touched that Artina would willingly offer her blood to him, he was also frustrated that a mere human not only didn't fear him, but pitied him. Thus his promise: he will not drink blood - Artina's or anyone else's - until he can show her true terror.
- The Dreaded: Subverted. In his Tyrant state, he was considered a horrifying boogey man to humans and demons alike who's name was uttered in hushed voices. He's actually a pretty nice guy who treats spreading fear as a job.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Comes with being a vampire.
- Evil Laugh: Dishes out a few.
- Evil Sounds Deep: In Japanese, his voice during his days as a Tyrant is noticeably lower and sounds much more threatening. Present-day Val will occasionally use his Tyrant voice whenever he makes a Rousing Speech.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Has cut his hair since his Tyrant days.
- Expy: Many fans liken his character design and over-the-top, stylish quirks to Lelouch of Code Geass. Hilariously, Valvatorez shares his English voice actor, Troy Baker, with Lelouch's older brother Schneizel; excluding the Vita-exclusive content.
- A more direct one would be Raizen of YuYu Hakusho. Extremely powerful in his past, so much so that nearly every demon was terrified of just hearing his name, until he met a human woman that was so different that he couldn't help but be interested in her and made a promise to said human woman to stop consuming the source of his power, causing him to become far weaker than he used to be.
- Facepalm: Does this a lot.
- Famed In-Story: Mostly during his Tyrant days, but News Travels Fast when he makes his intentions to overthrow the Corrupterment known.
- The Fettered
- Fountain of Youth: Despite being four hundred years older, Val sure looks a lot younger compared to his Tyrant days. Possibly a side effect of abstaining from blood.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
- Grammar Nazi: Storms the Information Bureau because they spelled "Prinny" wrong in a newspaper and gives severe punishments for prinnies who do not add DOOD to any sentence.
- Guest Star Party Member: Tyrant Valvatorez joins Fenrich in all of the Flashback Episode's battles, but despite being able to control him, he's still counted as an NPC. However, he becomes a fully playable character once the Flashback Episode is completed.
- As per Disgaea tradition, he and Fenrich show up as recruitables in Disgaea D2
- He's Got Legs: His legs are pretty skinny, and his pants are pretty tight...
- Heroes Prefer Swords: As with previous Disgaea main characters, he's not restricted to using only swords, but he can naturally learn most sword skills and promotional material usually show him wielding a sword.
- Heroic Willpower: Unlike the other characters, Valvatorez isn't affected by the A Virus. He attributes this to "spirit, fortitude, and the power of sardines."
- Heroic Vow: To not drink human blood. Fenrich has been trying and failing to get him to break this for four hundred years.
- Hey, You!: He doesn't use a lot of people's names, though in Emizel's ending he finally acknowledges him and calls him something other than rascal.
- High Collar of Doom
- Honor Before Reason: He will keep his promise even if the one he made the promise to has been dead for over four hundred years and even if he's losing his power because of it.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Not as a bad as Flonne, but he can be very gullible. When Fenrich tells lies about Axel that he's sided with them, Valvatorez actually believes them, which knowing Fenrich was likely part of the plan.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Not that he's particularly concerned - he would have never discovered sardines otherwise! Not to mention he's still MUCH more powerful than he claims he is.
- Humble Hero: To the point that he seems to be in denial of his influence and power.
- Ideal Illness Immunity: Valvatorez doesn't seem to get sick at all, which is presumably why he's immune to the A Virus. In the Flashback episode Fenrich notes that he's tried poisoning Val multiple times and he didn't even notice. According to him, with spirit, fortitude and sardines the A Virus should be harmless and it seems to work for him.
- Idiot Hero: Not stupid per se, but somewhat gullible, bull-headed, and with just enough Cloud Cuckoo Lander tendencies to make him come off as a bit of a dope.
- This is lampshaded somewhat in DLC flashbacks when Fenrich asks how he survived so long acting like this, which Valvatorez replies "Easy, I'm strong."
- I Gave My Word: Takes promises very seriously because the first time he didn't, things went badly.
- I Have Many Names: Tyrant Valvatorez, the Bloodthirsty King of Fear, the Blood-soaked Valvatorez of Absolute Evil, The King of Carnage and Atrocity.
Valvatorez: Hmph... I had almost forgotten about all those old aliases... Those were cute.
- I Let You Win: Defeated by Fuka at the end of chapter two of the Fuka and Desco Show. However, even she knows that he let her win.
- Insane Troll Logic: He understands The Power of Friendship and Power of Trust are sources of strength for humans and as a Tyrant he feels making use of that would make him more frightening. Really, loyalty and similar things generally make something less scary.
- Potential Fridge Brilliance and Fridge Horror to that when one considers that those power sources actually DO make him a lot more powerful and in fact are a possible explanation as to why he's so powerful despite his de-power. His insane power as a Tyrant was the prime reason he was considered such a terrifying boogey man figure in the first place.
- Let's not forget that by certain demonic standards a demon that uses the powers of trust and friendship would be incredibly badass. That, and people ARE afraid of things that are familiar to them, but not quite.
- In-Series Nickname: Fenrich calls him "Lord Val". Fuka and Desco call him "Valzy". Vulcanus calls him "Mr. Vampire" or occasionally "Mr. Weirdo".
- It's All My Fault: He blames himself for the death of Artina
- Jack of All Stats: Standard for a SRPG hero.
- Just the First Citizen: Valvatorez, for all intents and purposes, is ruling the Netherworld after the end of the game - he just completely refuses to recognize himself as anything higher than a simple Prinny Instructor.
- Large Ham: A vampire who can speak passionately about anything, but especially when it comes to sardines and promises. Especially in the English dub, where Troy Baker proves himself capable of devouring whole sets in one bite.
- Taken Up to Eleven AGAIN in Fuka and Desco mode, where he must have decided to become the largest ham possible. The only thing missing would Ham-to-Ham Combat with Gig. And then again in the Flashback Episode, where we learn that he was a gigantic ham in his past and, in the present, he starts mixing up his speeches with dramatic highs and lows in a manner somewhat reminiscent of William Shatner. And then there's his hamtastic "The Power of Friendship Rousing Speech"...
- The Leader: A type III/IV hybrid.
- Life Drain: His special attacks have this. Too bad it never gives enough to be any use.
- Madness Mantra: He takes his job so seriously that he completely loses it when met with opposition. He tries to educate Pringer X (a mute Humongous Mecha Prinny) in proper Prinny etiquette, with the following results:
Valvatorez: Prinny Rule No.1! You shall always include the word "dood" in every line you say!
Pringer X: ...
Emizel: It's a robot. It probably can't even talk.
Valvatorez: Prinny Rule No.1! You shall ALWAYS include the word "DOOD" in every line you say!
Pringer X: ...
Fuka: This is stupid. I'm outta here.
Desco: Eh, Desco too...
Artina: Good luck, Mr. Vampire...
Valvatorez: Prinny Rule... No.1! You shall always include the word "dood"... in every line you say!
Pringer X: ...
Pringer X: ...
- Magnetic Hero: With a little help behind the scenes by Fenrich, Valvatorez effectively amasses a full-blown army willing to fight on his side. For Tyrant Valvatorez, this even extends to gameplay - one of his evilities makes it so any enemy he personally defeats becomes your ally for the rest of the battle.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: His most powerful unique moves have him transform into a satanic lookalike and unleash a powerful scream.
- The Men First: Considers those who serve under him as his equals, and has even gone as far as Taking the Bullet for someone he's only entered the most casual of alliances with.
- Morality Pet: To Fenrich, who is a scheming Jerkass but Valvatorez keeps him in line and Fenrich's Undying Loyalty and dedication to his lord is his most prominent virtue.
- My Greatest Failure: He didn't take his promise with Artina (when she was a human) all that seriously, and she ended up dead because of it. That's the main reason why he takes every promise seriously from then on.
- Necessarily Evil: Valvatorez considers villainy to be a very vital community service to the cosmos. He also has plans to Take Over the World along with the Netherworld - not because he has any desire to rule them, but because both places have done such a fantastic job of screwing themselves up that he feels the need to intervene personally.
- Nice Guy: Easily the kindest of the four main characters in the series.
- Noble Demon: To the point that he is quite possibly the most honorable demon/netherworld-born character in the entire series.
- In the post game, he even offers Asagi the position of main character. The only reason she didn't take up the offer is because she didn't want to be pitied and didn't want her numerous other cameos to seem like a waste of time.
- No Doubt The Years Have Changed Me: Since he looks significantly younger than he used to thanks to his power degeneration, Vulcanus/Artina fails recognize him until he gives her his name.
- The Nose Knows: Can always identify the scent of human blood, which is why Fenrich's been unable to sneak the stuff into his meals.
- Older Than They Look
- One-Winged Angel: His Tyrant Flughude skill turns him into a vampire beast.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Although he does suck blood, which allows him to unleash his magical powers, a promise he made long ago caused him to refrain from drinking blood. He replaces blood with sardines as his primary form of nutrition, though this causes his powers to deplete. He's still very powerful despite said De-power, still able to use traditional vampire transformation powers into bats, dark mists, and satanic beasts.
- Also, he's a vampire and a demon. Not a contradiction because in this series, "demon" covers most supernatural creatures. (In Japan, vampires are generally thought of as "demonic" and not "undead").
- Out of Character Moment: Particularly in the Fuka and Desco show when concerning Axel's rant. As much of an annoyance he finds Axel, to not believe in what Axel said (given he is rather gullible and moved by these types of speeches) comes off as downright mean.
- Parenthetical Swearing: Done literally. When he refers to Axel, a parenthetical note helpfully points out that what he really means is "idiot".
- Peek-a-Bangs: When he was still a Tyrant.
- The Pollyanna: Which Fenrich is quick to observe.
What an impressive ability to overwrite his memory of losing his power and being forced to take the least wanted job in the Netherworld. This is another one of his formidable powers. He can convert any suffering he's been through into something positive.
- Power-Up Food: "SARDINE! You want to know the secret to my power? It's the sardines. Eat them, and you will grow stronger as well."
- The Promise: His will to keep his promises surpasses even Adell's. His first big promise was to not drink human blood and he's kept that promise for 400 years despite it causing his powers to deplete. On top of that, he makes additional promises with several characters all of which he plans on keeping, much to Fenrich's annoyance.
- Punch Clock Villain: Even as a Tyrant, he considered spreading fear in the human world to be just a necessary job.
- Purposefully Overpowered: With depowered Val already being as strong as he is, Tyrant Valvatorez would have to be a complete Game Breaker to be anything other than Overrated And Underleveled - so they made him a complete Game Breaker. Just about the only things that keep him from outright obliterating every stage in the Flashback episodes are the Geo Panel setups and permanent poison (Though his Life Drain specials mitigate this) in the last two stages.
- Really 700 Years Old: His age is not stated, but the time between the day he stopped drinking blood and the beginning of the game is 400 years.
- His age has been confirmed to be 2542 officially making him the oldest member in the group.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Valvatorez wears a pink apron in the end credits when he finally gets to fulfill his promise to the Prinnies by giving them a sardine feast.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: By a very loose definition of evil.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Merely that he's a demon, otherwise a counter example.
- Unless he's really upset, then they turn completely red (no viable pupil or iris).
- Rousing Speech: Has a habit of giving these.
- Say My Name: "Axxxelll!!!"
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: With Vulcanus aka Artina. Just watch what happens after the Zetta battle...
- Ship Tease: Much of the game teases him with Fenrich and Artina/Vulcanus. There also a little bit of him being teased with Fuka, moreso in the manga.
- In the normal endings, all of his comrades them shows their affection to him.
- Shonen Hair
- Skyward Scream: In the manga, when Axel ''dies''.
- More seriously, when Vulcanus is knocked unconscious taking a bullet for him.
- Spell My Name with an "S": While NISA has decided on a name, "Val" has gone through many different spellings. note
- Super Toughness: Thanks to his "spirit and fortitude", there are very few things that can actually hurt him. Even less when he was Tyrant.
- Stupid Good: He follows his own moral code to the bitter end, but thanks to Fenrich he does not always have to live with the bad consequences of this.
- Take Over the World: Promises to several characters in the ending that he will take over the universe in order to help fulfill their goals.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sardines!.
- True Companions/Power of Friendship: Believes wholeheartedly in this even during his Tyrant days.
- Tsundere: How ironic considering how Fuka views Fenrich's relationship towards him, aye? He's a definite Type B, hamming it up and being friendly towards everyone except towards Vulcanus due to how much she looks like Artina. Of course, it gets comedically worse when he finds out she is Artina, leading to constant denial.
- Vegetarian Vampire
- War Is Hell: Due to the circumstances behind his and Artina's meeting and her death, he hates war. He gets unusually mad when Fuka declares war on him.
- Willfully Weak: Which gets even more noticeable once you get to play as Tyrant Valvatorez, his past self with full powers. In the Flashback episodes, he's pretty much the "I Win" button because no one can get close to harm him. His stats are extremely high, his aptitudes are better than any other playable character and all of his three evilities are borderline broken.
- Worthy Opponent: To Overlord Zetta.
A cunning Werewolf
who acts as Valvatorez' attendant. Completely devoted to Val
, he would like nothing more than for his master to regain his former power and rule over the Netherworld as The Tyrant, and engineers several plots to ensure just that
- Ambiguously Gay: Though the ambiguous part is probably giving him too much credit.
- Animal Motifs: Dogs are loyal and wolfs are fierce, while Fenrich is fiercely loyal.
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Battle Butler
- Berserk Button: Fenrich tends to start throwing death threats at anyone he thinks is either getting too friendly with Val or not showing him enough respect.
- Blow You Away: His unique specials are of the wind element.
- Bodyguard Crush: Fuka certainly thinks he has one on Valvatorez. It's hard to prove her wrong.
- The Bully: He's rather cruel originally to anyone that is not Valvatorez and seems to enjoy pushing everyone's buttons. He generally enjoys making Axel's life as miserable as possible.
- Catch Phrase: "All is for my Lord", "Ahou ka?"note , "I'll kill you!", "X is one of my Lord Valvatorez's many formidable powers."
- Chained by Fashion: Each of his front legs gets a chain in his last special attack.
- The Chessmaster: Fenrich is one devious son of a bitchnote He's often pulling off Batman Gambit s on the fly, and often under the nose of his Lord Val. It doesn't always work out since Valvatorez and other characters can sometimes act as a Spanner in the Works, but he comes out on top with his dastardly plans of getting his master back in position as Tyrant more often then not.
- The Consigliere
- Crazy Jealous Guy: While he's not exactly crazy, he's definitely not fond of any girl who develops feelings for his Lord which is why he despises Artina.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He's crafty enough to actually use Valvatorez's gullibility as an asset.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: White hair, dark skin.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Don't Look at Me!: His reaction when he is turned into Axel in regards to Valvatorez.
- The Dragon: A textbook example to Valvatorez, as his closest ally, most loyal subordinate, top enforcer, and all-around go-to guy. Subverted only in that he and his boss aren't villains.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Played straight, though not maliciously. He has a secret goal in mind, and while it's unclear if Val knows what exactly it is, he's aware of its existence and happy to help Fenrich achieve it.
- Expecting Someone Taller: When Minitros hires him to kill Valvatorez in Tyrant Valvatorez mode, the first thing he does is comment that the Moonlight Fang is a bit skinnier than he imagined.
- Faking the Dead: After Taking the Bullet for Valvatorez, Fenrich fakes a dramatic death in order to squeeze a Last Request from him to drink his blood. After he fails and drops the act, the rest of the team unanimously agrees that it was a massive dick move on his part.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Fur Against Fang: Averted. While he thinks of Valvatorez' belief as worthless, he firmly believes that his master is meant for greater things and is even willing to dirty his hands if it means that Valvatorez will be put into a good position.
- Gentleman Snarker
- Guile Hero
- Hades Shaded
- Happiness in Slavery
- Hell-Bent for Leather
- Honest Advisor
- Hyper Competent Sidekick: Not that it would be hard to be smarter than Valvatorez, but beyond that he's also able to typically stay a step ahead of the antagonists unless something shows he couldn't possibly have foreseen.
- In-Series Nickname: "Fenfen" by Fuka and Desco. He absolutely hates it. Vulcanus calls him "Mr. Werewolf".
- Jerkass: Towards anyone who isn't Valvatorez. He mellows out a bit near the end, though.
- The Knights Who Say Squee: He is a closet Pleinair fan!
- Little Bit Beastly: He lacks the animal ears though.
- Mistaken for Gay: Fuka outright asks him if he "swings that way" in episode 5. He doesn't deny it.
- Mr. Fanservice: Just look at him.
- Neck Lift: Does this to Axel in the manga.
- Only in It for the Money: Immediately inquired about his reward the minute Minotrose said Tyrant Valvatorez was his target. He more or less invokes the trope when Tyrant Valvatorez tries to save him and declares Fenrich to be his comrade.
- Only Sane Man: Shares this title with Emizel when the latter joins the party.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: According to Fenrich, werewolves are descended from both humans and wolves, and their blood counts as "human" blood for all intents and purposes. This is why Fenrich tries to make a (fake) Last Request for Valvatorez to drink his blood, as well as why Valvatorez refuses him.
- Really 700 Years Old: Just like Valvatorez.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Parenthetical Swearing: Has mastered the art of making "All is for my Lord" and "X is one of my Lord Valvatorez's many formidable powers" mean anything from "Sir, yes sir" to "You are the biggest idiot in the world." Val never catches on, though.
- Poisonous Friend
- Power Source: The moon is this to werewolves.
- Precision F-Strike: Tends to call Artina a bitch when he's particularly upset at her. Also to Fuka when she brings Artina up in episode 5.
- Professional Killer: His job before serving Valvatorez.
- Psychotic Smirk: Smiles like this when he is about to do something Manipulative Bastard-like.
- Right-Hand Hottie
- Sarcastic Devotee
- Servile Snarker
- The Stoic: Being calm is kinda his thing. Impressive that he manages to maintain it.
- Not So Stoic: Becomes more and more apparent as more characters join the party and whenever Valvatorez makes another promise. Also breaks out of his stoicism when the moon is threatened.
- Subordinate Excuse
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Surrounded by Idiots: How Fenrich feels about the rest of the party.
- Taking the Bullet
- Take Over the World: Fenrich's goal in life is to turn his Lord into the conqueror of the universe.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With the rest of the party, particularly Vulcanus. Eventually moves into Vitriolic Best Buds territory, though Fenrich would probably die before he ever admitted it.
- Token Evil Teammate
- Too Clever by Half: Outwits himself in chapter 5 by first manipulating Valvatorez into promising to take down the Angel of Avarice if she gets in the way and then tricks her into attacking by pretending their group has a high bounty placed on them. He doesn't want "Vulcanus" to get in his way, but if he had left well enough alone she and Valvatorez would have parted on bad terms and quite likely never have come into contact with each other again. But then again, if that had happened, Fenrich and the rest of the party minus Valzy himself would have turned into Axell and Valvatorez wouldn't have been able to drink her blood and regain his power in the epilogue.
- Troll: Though most of his plans and actions are for his lord, he does derive joy from the misfortune of those it affects, particularly if they're preceded or followed with his Psychotic Smirk.
- Tsundere: The others even call him this, much to his irritation.
- Undying Loyalty
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- Werewolf Theme Naming: Named after Fenrir, the monstrous wolf from Norse Mythology.
- Wolfman: He turns into one as his last Special Attack.
- Wild Hair
- You Monster!: Fuka calls him this.
- Younger Than They Look: Official age is confirmed to be 2079 yet he looks older than Valvatorez. Then again, Val's more youthful appearance is due to his De-power. Val's original Tyrant form definitely looks older than Fenrich.
A middle-school student who died and was sent to the Netherworld. She was supposed to become a Prinny, but due to a shortage on Prinny suits, she just had a hat and jacket slapped on her instead. She is under the impression that her experience in the Netherworld is All Just a Dream
and believes that she should be able to do whatever she wants because of it. Her father was the one who created Desco based on the dying plea of his late wife, who told him to fulfill Fuka's childhood wish: "To have a little sister... with advanced functionality, to help [her] Take Over the World". She was killed by Desco's successor, Des X, out of jealousy and sent to the Netherworld because Ambition Is Evil
- Achievements in Ignorance: Is able to access her full potential instead of the usual human 30% because she thinks the whole thing is a dream.
- Affectionate Nickname: Calls the master and servant duo Valzy and Fenfen, bonus points for saying it with hearts or musical notes at times.
- All Just a Dream: She insists that this is the case. It's not.
- An Axe to Grind: Her primary weapon specialization. Her starting weapon of a baseball bat is also treated as an ax for gameplay purposes.
- Ambition Is Evil: Well, it's at least the sin that sent her into the Netherworld in the first place. At age five, she wanted to Take Over the World. And it's not like she's lost her ambition since then, what with her starting a small war on Valvatorez for the extermination of the Prinnies for the sake of better living conditions, her desire to become the Netherworld President, and her desire to take over Earth when the former falls through.
- Batter Up: In addition to wielding a bat, two of her unique attacks are based on baseball.
- Big Sister Instinct: When Mao starts taking an interest in Desco, she gets really protective of her. Considering that it's Mao, though, can we really blame her?
- Blank White Eyes: Her eyes become these whenever she's confused.
- Brainy Brunette: Subverted, her ignorance and lack of brightness is lampshaded several times.
- Though she is noted to be extremely knowledgeable about anything regarding her father's research.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Fuka embodies this trope but taken out of its natural habitat.
- Brown Eyes: She doesn't seem to fit the personality, but her eyes could be seen as a symbolization of her status as the only human in the group.
- Cain and Abel: She was murdered by one of her created sisters out of jealousy.
- Clothing Damage: In the manga, it's her only real drawback of using her full power.
- Cute Bruiser
- Curtains Match the Window
- Determinator: Gameplay wise, in the Vita port of Disgaea 3 she has an Evility which instantly revives her upon defeat, with a boost to her ATK stat.
- Dude Magnet: Played with. In the Fuka & Desco Mode On the Next segments, Valvatorez, Fenrich, Axel, and Desco are vying for her affection.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Fuka is prone to this from time to time, like when she deduced Emizel's father had purposely abandoned him (Something which Fenrich commented on), or when she gave surprisingly detailed info about the bio-suits in Chapter 8.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Due to the shortage of Prinny skins, instead of becoming a full Prinny, Fuka's given a cute Prinny hat and jacket to wear.
- Failure Is the Only Option: In the special Fuka & Desco Show DLC, her reincarnation will never happen but in her dreams due to the facts that: 1) Since she has been denying the fact that she's a Prinny, she ultimately was recognized as Fuka Kazamatsuri after passing the "hellish" training from Valvatorez; 2) All the money she took from the Mint won't have any effect to pay for her sins since she didn't even gain it as a Prinny; 3) Although she got her Take Over the World moment, the sin in itself is extremely heavy and thus cannot be paid with the "jillion" HL she got in the first place.
- In a darker example introduced in the Updated Re-release, her efforts to spare Artina from being killed in the past can't prevent her inevitable demise..
- Glacier Waif
- Girlish Pigtails
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger: One of her poses if she's not holding her bat. And no, it hasn't gone unnoticed by the fandom — or by the localization crew◊, for that matter.
- Hey, You!: Referred to as "Lass" by Val and Fenrich.
- Hunter Of Her Own Kind: She initially despises the Prinnies and joins the Prinny X-Terminators. Although she eventually realizes that exterminating the Prinnies is wrong, she refuses to believe that she's (supposed to be) a Prinny.
- Idiot Hero: In the Fuka & Desco show.
- Implausible Deniability: No matter how much evidence there is to the contrary, she will never admit that she's dead. On the plus side, it is part of the reason why she is able to keep up with demons and angels despite being an ordinary middle school student.
- Insane Troll Logic: Sometimes spews this, especially when "explaining" why she's obviously just dreaming. Valvatorez even says her logic makes no sense during her epilogue.
- Large Ham
- Mighty Glacier: The slowest of the main characters, but can inflict massive damage.
- Ms. Fanservice: In the manga, it's uncommon to go two pages without a shot up her skirt and, unlike the game, her full power has the drawback of shredding her clothes apart in the process.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Notable in the manga, where she is seen to be carrying a boulder on her shoulder with ease.
- Mythology Gag: For her final attack, Fuka summons Bonus Boss Pringer X.
- Nice Hat
- Onee-sama: Addressed by Desco as such, although she doesn't seem to like the idea at first. Turns out to be a somewhat literal case as Desco was created by Fuka's father to be her little sister.
- Ordinary Middle School Student: Or at least she was...
- Like a Badass out of Hell: In the Fuka ending, she decides to turn the Netherworld into her own personal Celestia by making it more girly. Her first order of business is making the freshly-defeated Fenrich and Valvatorez her maids.
- Little Miss Badass: She's only a middle schooler, but she can easily keep up with the demons of the Netherworld.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Well, something like that. One of the NPCs says that she's a human soul with a Prinny cap on, and everyone mentions that she's dead (to her eternal denial).
- Persona Non Grata: Flonne banned her from Celestia forever.
- Pet the Dog: Towards Desco in her scenario, of the Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other variety.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite being a skinny fourteen-year-old girl, Fuka has the highest attack stat of the main cast and serves as the Mighty Glacier.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "No! I! Am! Not!"
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sailor Fuku
- Say It with Hearts: Occasionally uses either a ♥ or a ♪.
- Selective Obliviousness: Refuses to believe anything about being dead. After awhile she seems to be convinced but then goes back to claiming it's all a dream because she doesn't want it to work like that. In the Fuko and Desco Show she starts getting some contradictory goals as a result of not admitting she's dead but trying to reincarnate anyway.
- Shipper on Deck: For Valvatorez with, well, almost anyone around his physical age. Immediately started shipping him with Vulcanus (Artina) when she first learns about her, but there's a sense that she also supports him with Fenrich. By the end of the Netherbattle Tournament, she sees Krichevskoy as a viable option for Val as well.
- Ship Tease: Not to mention her OWN implied interest with Val in her ending and the manga.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Originally spelled Fuuka before NISA released her official U.S. name.
- Sweet Tooth
- Take Over the World: Her ambition at the age of five!
- The Team Normal
- Token Human
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: On one hand she conforms to almost all of the archetypal girly traits in fiction, such as dreaming of a prince charming, loves hot guys in little clothing, loves sweets and desserts, loves to gossip, worries about makeup, likes to dress up, vain about her own appearance, loves sweet/girly/cute things and is a hopeless romantic. On the other hand she is very abrasive and violently good at baseball.
- Tsundere: Ironically, she claims to not have met one in real life.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Yaoi Fangirl: As can be seen by some of her ships.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade S.
Voiced by: Manabi Mizuno (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)
A Cute Monster Girl
created to become "the ultimate weapon that would destroy the world". Her official name is Final Weapon: Death/Extermination Submersible Combat Organism. Despite her incredible power and impressive evil laugh
(she practised!), she's more like a naive child than anything else. Valvatorez takes her under his wing to teach her how to achieve her ambition of becoming the Final Boss
of the game. She was created by Fuka's father to fulfil Fuka's childhood wish of "a little sister... with advanced functionality that will help me Take Over the World". She is killed by Des X out of jealousy and cast down into the Netherworld, where she is sealed deep within Hades
- Badass Adorable: See Game Breaker on the YMMV page.
- Berserk Button: In Fuka & Desco Mode, upon hearing that Fuka will forget everything once she's reincarnated, Desco loses it. It takes an entire episode for Fuka to finally calm her down.
- BFS: Can magichange into one, and forms one for her True Godly Weapon attack.
- Blush Sticker
- Catch Phrase: She eventually steals Fenrich's, but applies to Fuka. All is for Big Sis!
- Chewing the Scenery: Whenever she tries to act like a final boss.
- Combat Tentacles: The tentacle creature on her back.
- Comedic Sociopath: Talks a lot about murdering people, but she never actually does it.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Monster Girl: Is an actual monster type character.
- The Dragon: To Fuka.
- Which is amusing, since she really was was originally designed to be Fuka's Dragon.
- Eldritch Abomination: Probably cutest one ever.
- Evil Laugh: Fuhahaha!
- Eyes Do Not Belong There
- Final Boss: Subverted in that she's a Final Boss in training.
- Played straight in that she's the Final Boss of Hades in episode 3 though.
- Fun with Acronyms: Her name stands for "Death/Extermination Submersible Combat Organism".
- Heroic BSOD: She really loses it when Fuka realizes she can't reincarnate as herself.
Desco: NO RESET! SOUL! PLEASE! CONTINUE SOUL! SAVE! BIG SIS' MEMORY!
- Hero-Worshipper: When you begin the Gig DLC event, she starts fangirling him as the ultimate role model as a final boss and declares him her master. Makes sense that she'd react well to the Killer of Kings and Destroyer of Worlds.
- Killer Rabbit
- Large Ham
- Laughably Evil: When she was a villain.
- Little Miss Badass
- Little Sister Heroine: A parody of such. Desco was effectively created to be the perfect Little Sister Heroine for Fuka. However, since Fuka's more interested in world domination than harem series tropes, Desco comes with Lovecraftian Superpowers and an urge to Destroy All Humans!.
- Living Weapon: Described as the Ultimate Weapon Girl who dreams of becoming the final boss.
- Equippable Ally: She can Magichange into an actual weapon, a BFS to be exact.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: Say hello to Yog-Sothoth for us◊
- The Man Behind the Curtain: She's fairly threatening when we see her a silhouette, but once we see her it's impossible to take as one when the player sees how cute she is.
- Mistaken for Murderer: Fuka initially believes Desco was the monster that attacked her (really killed her, but she denies that). It turns out to be Des X.
- Mythology Gag: Two of her attacks are based on the attacks used by previous Disgaea final bosses. Her "Final Boss Arises" is "Zenon's Dark Revenge" and her "True Godly Weapon" is "Aurum's Demon Slayer".
- Nightmare Fetishist: In the Fuka & Desco Show DLC, she thinks that the hideous monsters are hunks, and is visibly shocked when Fuka denounces them as ugly. And she gets attracted to Gig when he prepares to destroy the Netherworld
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Started off as such after she was sealed deep within Hades following her death. Axel unleashed her to have her fight Valvatorez, but it severely bit him in the ass.
- Shipper on Deck: Just like Fuka.
- Third-Person Person
- Token Mini-Moe
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Fuka's Tomboy since Fuka didn't want a tomboy little sister. Luckily for her, Desco listens to every word Fuka says. Being naturally moe helps.
- Turns Red: Her 3 Transformations evility gives her this, upping her stats whenever she's below 2/3rd or 1/3rd total health.
- Verbal Tic: Rarely goes more than a sentence without using the word "desu" in the Japanese audio.
- Yes-Man: To Fuka.
Fuka: If Big Sis says it's white, then it's white. If Big Sis says it's black, then it's black. Got that? If you follow this rule, then you can call me Big Sis.
Desco: Okay! If Big Sis says that crows are white, then Desco will go paint them all white!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- You Will Be Spared: "A final boss must kill everyone. That's imprinted in Desco's mind too. But Desco was only going to kill everyone except for Daddy and Big Sis..."
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
The only son of the current Netherworld President. He's the leader of the Abaddon, a special assassination force that works directly for his father, and also holds the position of The Grim Reaper
, though he has never taken a human soul before. He's not aware that he's only riding his father's coattails. When it's finally made clear that nobody actually takes him seriously, he joins the party to prove himself to his father.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: He will be appointed to the position of Netherworld President according to the end narration.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- The Archmage: Unlike most magic-using characters, he learns all three types of elemental magic, making him equivalent to a Prism Mage (which are hard to come by in the early game!)
- Black Mage
- Bowties Are Cool
- Bratty Half-Pint/Mouthy Kid: Starts out this way until he joins Valvatorez.
- Butt Monkey
- Child Mage
- Genre Savvy / Wrong Genre Savvy: Very quick to note that whoever organized the Netherbattle Tournament is purposely trying to lure Valvatorez with the bonus prize — a thousand-year supply of sardines. Turns out that he's only half right. Sardines weren't among the prizes. Artina lied to Val about that to get him to participate so she can get the prize money.
- Girls Have Cooties: "Women are scary."
- Girly Man Faint
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger
- Glass Cannon: Being magic user, it's a given.
- The Grim Reaper: And boy is he young. Problem is, he has never taken a soul before.
- Emizel does end up taking a soul at the end of the main story: Judge Nemo's soul.
- Hey, You!: Throughout the game, Val and Fenrich call him "rascal" or "whelp". If you get his epilogue, however, Val finally calls him by his name, saying that it's inappropriate for him to call a man "rascal"
- In the Hood: Subverted, he is not trying to hide anything or avoid attracting attention, though it adds a The Grim Reaper look to him, fittingly enough.
- Jive Turkey: On occasion.
- Just a Kid: Until he takes a level in badass - then everyone refuses to acknowledge him as President Hugo's son because everyone knows Hugo's son was a total wimp, so he's too powerful to be him.
- Magic Wand: As the mage of the group, it's his weapon of choice.
- Nepotism: It's made pretty clear that Emmizel got his position as head of the Abaddon because of his father.
- Nervous Wreck
- Only Sane Man: During the Next Episode segments, and most of the game.
- Picky Eater: In contrast to Valvatorez, he hates fish.
- President Jr
- Really 700 Years Old: He is 1324 years old.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Sinister Scythe: Wields one in his first and third skill. Gets to use it story-wise and for the first time by taking Judge Nemo's soul.
- Spear Counterpart: To Rozalin, what with being a young, blond, demon with a famous father that spoils him rotten who regularly uses his father's reputation to get whatever he wants. He even says "I am the president's one and only son!", echoing Rozalin's Catch Phrase. On top of that, upon spending more time in the lower regions of the Netherworld, he begins to realize the problems that are plaguing the Netherworld and vows to confront his father. Fuka even comments that Rozalin, in her DLC cut scene, is just like him.
- Spoiled Brat: He is even called so in his official site description. At least until his rather impressive amount of Character Development.
- Squishy Wizard
- The Starscream: Eventually becomes one to President Axel. A heroic example though, because he really is trying to help the Netherworld.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Really just wants his father to be proud of him.
An angel from Celestia known as "The Angel of Avarice" for her ruthless greed
. She claims to have come to the Netherworld to collect on a hefty HL debt, and doesn't care how
she gets the money. She looks identical to Artina, the human girl whom Valvatorez failed to protect after promising he would not drink human blood until she feared him. Valvatorez refuses to believe they could be the same person, a notion she supports by using the cover name of Vulcanus.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: A human of surpassing virtue may become an angel after their death, which happened to Artina.
- Angelic Beauty: Although she looked much the same when she was alive.
- Becoming the Mask: While she claims all she is doing is fulfilling her mission, you can't help but think she is a bit too enthusiastic about stealing everyone's money.
- Braids of Action
- Broken Pedestal: Jokingly considered as one by the party, with everyone claiming they can't believe that an angel is so greedy. Especially Val, who refuses to believe she could be Artina.
- Combat Medic: Very good with healing magic with staves, and can use guns.
- Cool Big Sis: To Fuka and Desco.
- Detached Sleeves: Really small ones.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Specifically, Val's arms. Well she had to become an angel somehow, right?
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Present during her "sad" Character Portrait.
- Fearless Fool: After she showed no fear of Tyrant Valvatorez and actually pitied him for needing to feed off of humans, he considered her reckless to the point he was actually somewhat insulted. And it shows in the Time Leap scenario where she knows perfectly well that she could easily be killed or branded a traitor but keeps on aiding the injured anyway. Even when it's accidentally let slip that she's going to die if she isn't careful, she simply says she figured that might happen and continues on anyway.
- Five-Finger Discount: She claims that she came to return all the money that was unlawfully transferred to the Netherworld from Celestia. She decides to do this by stealing money and valuables in such a manner that she's notorious even amongst demons.
- Good Samaritan: She will tend to anyone on the field of battle despite the many dangers that await her.
- Guardian Angel: She tried to be this for Judge Nemo, but her words fell on deaf ears.
- The Gunslinger
- Horrible Judge of Character: She's convinced that her archangel superior is a kind and wise figure of surpassing virtue. When she finds out that her Lady Archangel is a flaky ditz who wastes the money she's been collecting on a giant robot that doesn't even work when they first get it she simply becomes more determined to believe in her.
- Hospital Hottie: Back when she was a human nurse she assumed the stories that vampires prefer beautiful virgins true, so she offered her own to Valvatorez by saying she's "pretty cute and a virgin to boot."
- I Was Just Passing Through: She's only joining the team because they owe her money. Really!
- Identical Stranger: Pretends not to know who this Artina girl who looks exactly like her is, but doesn't do a very good job of hiding it.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: According to Valvatorez, Artina possessed the purest of hearts, which is why he doubted that she and money-grubbing Vulcanus were the same person. For her part, she gets offended when people call her a thief, saying she's simply collecting debts and nothing more.
- Insistent Terminology: It's not stealing, it's collection.
- Justified Criminal: Claims that the Netherworld owes Celestia incredible amounts of money, which isn't helped by the inflation in the Netherworld.
- Kill the Cutie: Very sweet, kind and obviously good as a human, but attacked and killed by her own countryman for helping an enemy.
- Lemony Narrator: She narrates the Fuka and Desco Show and is even worse at the job than Valvatorez. Reframing the story as a cheesy romance aside, her metaphors are so bad that they might actually be poisonous to read.
- Ms. Fanservice
- My God, What Have I Done?: She feels very guilty about being unable to do anything for Nemo and just as guilty that she even kept trying when she knew it was pointless rather than look for Valvatorez and find out that he'd become a powerless nobody thanks to the promise only she can help him fulfill.
- Name's the Same: Vulcanus is also the name of the former Archangel of Celestia. No relation.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Helping the enemy soldier Nemo when she was human not only caused her death, but her name would be forever reviled as a blackhearted traitor. Her death is the root cause of much of the plot and current crisis in the game. Valvatorez lost his power which resulted in Hugo becoming president with the Corrupterment deteriorating while Nemo goes off the deep end after her death and starts plotting the destruction of both Earth and the Netherworld.
- Only in It for the Money: Claims she's only accompanying the group first because Val must owe her five million HL for taking the bullet for him since that's half the bounty Fenrich said he had, then so she can charge her for [[spoiler:using her blood to cure the A Virus and finally because she intends to steal from the mint. Uh huh.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: She summons an armored winged centaur in her last Special Attack.
- The Pollyanna: As a human, she was very calm and even tempered despite barely being able to afford food thanks to spending what little money she had on medicine for people who couldn't even pay her and as often would have considered her an enemy. Eventually, she died for it, but told Valvatorez not to retaliate against the humans responsible because she didn't blame them.
- The Power of Blood: Like other angels, her blood has the power to purify any impurities, including the A-Virus.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old: She's about 418 years old now. She looks just about exactly the same as she did back then minus the changes in fashion.
- Reincarnation: She was turned into an angel upon death thanks to her overwhelming virtue. Fuka and Desco love to gossip about the possibility of a Reincarnation Romance.
- Show Some Leg: One of her poses.
- Stripperiffic: The most stripperiffic angel in Disgaea's history!
- Taking the Bullet: Leaps in front of an attack launched by Axel. She's assumed dead at first, but it just knocked her out.
- The Untwist: Played for Laughs.
- Whip It Good: Uses a whip made out of feathers in her second unique special attack.
- White Mage: In the Vita exclusive scenario she has a different form that can be unlocked in the main game after completion. Unlike the normal Artina, she lacks the ability to use a gun and has no offensive spells apart from her own unique attacks. She also has completely different evilities, the best of which are support focused. With her last evility, upon death she even doubles the stats and fully heals all deployed characters, remaining a support character right until the end.
- With Cat Like Tread: When sneaking into the Information Bureau in her Prinny disguise, she provides her own sneaking noises. The game even refers to her as "Suspicious Prinny''. Funny, considering that her superior did the same thing.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
Netherworld President Hugo
Voiced by: Daisuke Egawa (JP), Jamieson Price (EN)
The 61st President of the Netherworld and Emizel's father. Valvatorez launches a campaign to remove him from power after a number of abuses of the Corrupternment come to light, such as the elimination of all Prinnies, imprisonment of "innocent" demons and the dumping of toxic waste from the Human World into the Netherworld. Valvatorez and the others have no idea what he's thinking allowing these abuses, especially since he actually has a good reputation in Celestia.
- Anti-Villain: He's not exactly enthusiastic about what he's doing and is in fact particularly upset about the effects of the A Virus. Small wonder since he was forced into everything he's done and is simply trying his best to get what little fear energy he can from Earth.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: In the Netherworld, this is how someone gets the title of President, which is stated to be equivalent to the title of Overlord. Eventually loses it after being defeated by Valvatorez. Axel takes the title, but when he eventually loses it he's expunged from the Netherworld records.
- Corrupt Politician: Valvatorez is stunned at the abuses the Corrupterment is both allowing and engaging in. However, he actually tried his best to increase the flow of fear energy, but nothing worked and he was forced into becoming Nemo's pawn.
- Deal with the Devil: He's the one making the deal, not the devil despite his position and species. He was forced to sell demon samples to the human world for a pittance of fear energy for the netherworld, which was still insufficient.
- De-power: Due to the lack of fear energy he can't use his full power even in his first transformation and can't use the others at all. In the past, he fought evenly with Tyrant Valvatorez but now can't even stand up to the weakened normal Valvatorez and his group of misfits.
- Disc One Final Boss: Confronted in chapter 7, which is actually called the final chapter along with several chapters after it. Well, it's made clear early on that he's in an inferior position to the mysterious blond guy that keeps popping in.
- Good All Along: He was forced to decide between the netherworld being completely starved of fear energy or getting a few scraps from the human world in exchange for selling demon samples. He chose the latter, but either way would have resulted in Valvatorez rising up against him.
- The Grim Reaper: He's not just any Reaper, he's Death King Hugo.
- I Have No Son: Ordered the Information Bureau to report his son as dead after Fenrich sends him blackmail footage of Emizel's humiliating defeat.
- Kick the Dog: His treatment of Emizel. He fakes Emizel's death to prevent being blackmailed. However, cruel as that was, he does care for his son and faked his death to avoid having Emizel dragged into the mess with Nemo, protecting him in a way.
- Knight of Cerebus: He's the big bad the story builds up to but it's actually subverted: When he loses, he gracefully submits and supports Valvatorez in his own attempts to save the netherwold since he simply isn't up to the task.
- Large and In Charge
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into his Reaper form during the fight with him. This trope is Lampshaded by Valvatorez, who says Hugo has at least three more transformations in store but he says the fight is actually over already: He doesn't have enough power to reach those forms anymore.
- Promoted to Playable: He joins the party after a certain stage of the Fuka and Desco Show.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Trying to keep the netherworld going as long as possible. He's simply in an impossible position.
- Worf Had the Flu: The lack of fear energy drains more power if you had more to start with. He can't reach anything like his former level of power as a result.
- Worthy Opponent: Valvatorez has genuine respect for his abilities, having fought him inconclusively for days in the past when both were at full power. He's actually insulted to realize that Hugo can't show that much power anymore.
Voiced by: Kanehira Yamamoto (JP) Vic Mignogna (EN)
A mysterious human who appears to be working behind the scenes in the Corrupternment. He is actually the spirit of a soldier who suffered during a war on Earth. After the death of Artina, the only person who showed him kindness during those dark times, he began to plot the destruction of everything by working behind the scenes in the Netherworld and on Earth.
- The Atoner: As a Prinny.
- Berserk Button: He generally remains calm and acts like everything is going according to plan. Then, he hears Artina's name and all that composure is gone.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- By the Eyes of the Blind: He literally can't see or hear angels due to his lack of faith. It's because of this that Artina had a hard time getting him to end his madness.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Literally due to lack of faith. See By the Eyes of the Blind.
- Crazy-Prepared: Had four plans to Kill All Humans set up in case anybody started messing with him.
- The Cynic: To extremes.
- Dead All Along: The explanation for how he can breath on the moon, he's a ghost.
- Faux Affably Evil: His politeness is genuine to Artina, though. Then again, Fuka's father calls him out on it.
"Let's just stop with the flattery, we both know we're just using each other."
- Humans Are Bastards: A firm believer of this. Which is why he wants to destroy the Human World.
- Knight of Cerebus: The story became a lot more serious when Valvatorez finally met this guy.
- Large Ham: Mostly in Japanese, especially when he's really unhinged.
- Man Behind the Man: To Hugo.
- Manipulative Bastard: He actually manipulates humans and aliens.
- Meaningful Name: "Nemo" is Latin for "no one" as Desco points out.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Artina finally manages to get through to him, he's ashamed at all of the suffering he's caused (Mainly because he saddened Artina), and decides to condemn both himself and Fear The Great to limbo for eternity.
- No Pronunciation Guide: Pronounced "Neh-mo" in Japan while pronounced "Nee-mo" in English.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He wants to destroy the Human World for all of the crap and hatred it put him through. Doing this would also wipe out the Demons' source of fear energy, and the Angels' faith energy, dooming them as well.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Pretty much.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His sprite during the final battle.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- That Man Is Dead: Refuses to give his name because "it was useless to me while I was being reborn."
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Sure, becoming a Prinny may not seem like a form of mercy especially since he'll be a Prinny for a very long time due to all the sins he committed, but considering all he went through and that he was about to sacrifice his own soul, it definitely comes off as uplifting.
- Villainous Breakdown: He acts like a smug, manipulative bastard throughout the story... but when Fuka, Genjuro, and the Descos settle their differences (well, mostly), his facade starts to undergo rapid decay - starting with the moon's destruction and escalating from there.
- Villain Override: Sort of. In the last chapter he's used as the host of Fear the Great, a program made by God to destroy any planet that had too much malice. In the final battle it overtakes him completely.
- War Is Hell: He experienced this firsthand, and it's part of the reason for his Start of Darkness.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He's a bastard alright, but considering that during the war, he was tortured by the enemy country and his own country branded him a traitor and took away his family, it's amazing he kept his sanity for so long. Then, Artina was killed by her country for being traitor and everything went to hell.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Even when you think you've taken apart one of his plans, you find out he has yet another. Particularly in episode 10 when every time the party attempts to stop the moon's destruction, he's got one more plan behind it, whether it's blowing up the moon, creating a black hole, or sending it on a collision course towards Earth.
- Yandere: To Artina.
Des X/Earth X
Voiced by: Asami Shimoda (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)
An artificial demon created by Fuka's father. She is an advanced version of Desco, described as the "true final boss". She was responsible for killing both Fuka and Desco. After the events of the main game, Genjuro makes a few modifications to Des X to instead make her Earth's Guardian. To reflect this, her name is changed to Earth X.
- Cain and Abel: She's the Cain.
- Cloning Blues: She wanted to be the real daughter, but knows that can never happen.
- Dub Name Change: Her Japanese name is "Dezetto" which can be translated as "Des Z". Same thing happens in the Fuka and Desco Show, where her name was originally Earth Z.
- Evil Twin: To Desco.
- Genki Girl: After becoming Earth X.
- Meaningful Rename: She goes from being the final boss created to destroy the world to being Earth's final line of defense, thus why she's now "Earth X". Ironically, she's the final boss of the Fuka & Desco mode.
- Palette Swap A pale one to Desco.
- And yet also subverted. Looking closely reveals that some of her sprites have different facial expressions. It's not much of a difference, mind you, but it's there.
- Took a Level in Kindness: As Earth X. Though you still end up fighting her in Fuka & Desco Mode, she now calls Fuka "Big Sis" and congratulates Desco upon her defeat. She even acts less cold and more Hot-Blooded.
- Yandere A father-daughter version. Des X loves Fuka's father but despises Fuka and Desco, both of whom she killed.
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Terai (JP)
Fuka's father. From what she says about him, he's always working and never visits her. He turns out to be a researcher from the human world that is funded by Nemo, and he's also the creator of Desco. It's ultimately revealed that his research was to fulfill his late wife's last request, which was to fulfill the wishes of Fuka. Those wishes were having a little sister and taking over the world - not that she remembers.
- Ascended Fanboy: He claims to be "kind of a movie fanatic". He was inspired to make demon clones from a movie about dinosaur clones.
- Bumbling Dad
- Comically Missing the Point: He made Desco and Des X because Fuka claimed she wanted to take over the world (when she was very young)
- Crazy-Prepared: In the DLC cut scenes, he's always ready to fix a ship if something goes wrong. In the case of Gig, he even had crates of hotpods prepared for him.
- Evil Genius: Not quite evil, though.
- For Science!: His other motivation.
- Mad Scientist: It's his title.
- Married to the Job: With a twist - it's revealed he was doing everything for his daughter.
- Truly Single Parent: Since he couldn't properly father the little sister Fuka always wanted with his wife dead, he just decided to make one instead. It also gave him the opportunity to put in all that "advanced functionality" that Fuka always wanted.
A new character introduced in the Updated Re-release
. A mechanic trying to end a war, said war being the war held 400 years ago in which Tyrant Valvatorez and Artina met. She calls upon Fuka and Desco (perhaps by accident) to help her in her mission.
- Break the Cutie: The whole death of her family gave her a BIG scar...
- Cute Clumsy Girl: It's only implied by her to be a clumsy mechanologist. The bandage on her forehead proves it.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Though Nagi, Fuka, and Desco all fail to prevent Artina's death anyway and causes great discomfort in her, the clock activates by itself and pulls Nagi back to the present 400 years in the future, where she tearfully reunites with Artina and Valvatorez and decides to stay with the team.
- Friendless Background: The war didn't let her make any friends. Coupled with her dead family, she starts to understand by Artina that she's not so alone anymore, which comes to stick with her in the ending of her scenario.
- Forehead of Doom: Fuka and Desco speculate that she's keeping a sealed power under her bandage. Unfortunately, it's only there because Nagi hit her forehead by slipping on a screw.
- Hair Decorations: And a bandage on her forehead.
- Noodle Incident: It is never found out if Fuka and Desco were really the ultimate warriors Nagi was looking for.
- Tank Goodness: On of her special moves.
- Technicolor Eyes: They're pretty odd.
- Violence Is the Only Option: She desperately tries to stop the war by hurting and killing soldiers. When confronted about it, she strongly denies why she feels this way. Until the party learns her parents and big sister were all killed because of the war, which drove Nagi to deep end.
- Wrench Wench