Characters: Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha
aka: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Army
Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th \ Jouhei
Voiced by: Tomokazu SugitaA young student of Yumizuki High School who was trained at the Kuzunoha village in the art of the Devil Summoner. Once he was ready, he undertook the trials at the nameless shrine in the heart of the Shinoda mountains and became the fourteenth Raidou Kuzunoha. He was assigned a partner by the Herald of Yatagarasu named Gouto, a sarcastic talking cat who was to guide Raidou in the ways of a Devil Summoner, and was sent to work part time at the Narumi Detective Agency as a cover for his true task.As the newest Raidou Kuzunoha, it is his duty to protect the Capital from the demons of the Dark Realm, and ensure that the supernatural world is kept in check. His abilities with a katana are without equal, and his skill with a pistol unmatched, but Raidou's true power comes from the demons tucked away in confinement tubes beneath his cape.Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV returns as the protagonist of the sequel, Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. He returns to the shrine in Shinoda and undergoes retraining in preparation for returning to work for under the Herald of Yatagarasu. Gotou-Douji returns in order to provide guidance in the same capacity as he did in the first game. Gotou unseals some of Raidou's abilities to allow him to summon two demons at once, and Raidou returns to work as The Capital's guardian, seeking out the new disturbances that were detected by the Herald of Yatagarasu. Raidou once again winds up working with Shouhei Narumi and Tae Asakura.Raidou Kuzunoha replaces Dante's role as a recruitable ally in the update re-release of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniacs, titled Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Chronicle Edition, which was released along with Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. Despite not being the protagonist of the game, Raidou remains silent, with Gouto speaking in his stead. Many of his in-game attacks parallel Dante's from the original, but have new names.He does one up Dante though by gaining the move 'Pierce', which was previously exclusively reserved for one other demon and the Demi-Fiend, the latter who can only get it on the True Demon Ending path. So Raidou is even more badass than Dante Sparda.
- Badass: You know it to be true when the guy can throw down with Japanese tough guys in a bath house and not even get his hat wet.
- Bonus Boss: In Soul Hackers. Also a Dual Boss alongside Raido.
- Canon Name: He's known as Jouhei in the Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou tai Shibito Ekishi prequel novel.
- The Chosen One: After losing to him in their third battle, Lucifer declares that Raidou is able to change fate and free the world from God.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Expy: A rare heroic one of Yasunori Kato.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: His real name is blank until you name him in true Megaten tradition.
- Heroic Mime
- Hope Bringer: In King Abaddon. For this reason Shinado's Anger aspect tries to convince him to give up his title and when that fails to kill him.
- Hotblooded Sideburns
- Legacy Character: He's the 14th of the devil summoner line to inherit the title of "Raidou"—the highest rank of devil summoners.
- Nice Hat
- Power Perversion Potential: Raidou can use a Skill Orders transform skill to turn into a woman. In fact doing this and trying to go into the bath house is how he can manipulate his alignment in King Abaddon.
- Suddenly Voiced: in the 3DS remake of Soul Hackers.
- The Beastmaster / Summon Magic: As a Devil Summoner he can see and hear demons. He is capable of capturing them and calling on them to use their powers for investigation and combat. It's necessary for him to do so, as Raidou cannot learn or use magic.
- The Demons he summons in the manga Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Lone Marebito are Orthrus, Alraune, Ippon-Datara, Mokoi, Oumitsunu, Gozuki, Mezuki, Futsunushi, Jack Frost, Yoshitsune, Moh Shuuvuu, Scathach, Cu Chulainn, Susano-o, Kohryu, Mada, and Decarabia.
- In Soul Hackers he summons the Soulless God! Alongside, adorably enough, Moh Shuvuu and Mokoi again.
- Mokoi & Moh Shuvuu show up on his team again in the Chronicle release of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Mokoi is even the one that actually gets the Demifiend's attention at first.
- The Musketeer: A Gunslinger and an adept swordsman.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Gouto mentions in his notebook he has a surprisingly great singing voice.
Gouto (Raidou Kuzunoha the 1st)
Voiced by: Joji NakataGouto is a mysterious talking cat who has been the partner of every Raidou Kuzunoha since the second. Not much is known about Gouto, other than the fact he's not of this world and his real form is not that of a cat, although he does have a shameful secret obsession with a certain cat toy.Now assigned to the fourteenth Raidou Kuzunoha, Gouto's job is to offer his support and advice as he deals with the supernatural world of demons, and to ensure Raidou keeps to his duties as the newest Raidou Kuzunoha. Despite Gouto's sarcasm, he believes that this Raidou Kuzunoha may be the best he has ever had the honour to guide.When the Soulless God Oumagatsu was awakened, Gouto helped to come up with the plan to destroy the Tai-itsu, and to ensure its success joined a demon in a rocket bound for the satellite. When the Tai-itsu was destroyed, so too was the earthly body of Gouto. However, despite this drawback, Gouto continued to guide Raido as a formless voice until the end of his mission.Just before the destruction of his body, Gouto revealed that his true form was that of the first Raidou Kuzunoha, and that he has watched every summoner to bear his name since. By the end of the game, Gouto is seen as a raven as he follows Raidou on his next mission.In the sequel, Gouto has returned to his cat form.In an optional conversation in the sequel, Gouto reveals that he committed an unspecified crime during his role as Raidou Kuzunoha; as punishment, he is forced to mentor and watch over all his successors until they die. Gouto also mentions he was previously a Housoushi magician before becoming Raidou Kuzunoha.
- Cursed with Awesome
- Deadpan Snarker
- Green Eyes
- Intellectual Animal
- Invisible to Normals: To non-empowered people, he's only a cat. He can speak, but they will only hear purrs and meows.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- The Mentor
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Tries to resist his animal instincts, but sometimes gives in to them.
- Noodle Incident: The debacle that got him turned into a cat. Judging by his reaction to Mikaboshi, and Mikaboshi's words about a former Devil Summoner he curbstomped, it may have had something to do with the evil star god...
Narumi was once an officer in the Japanese Imperial Army, but after being witness to the corruption of the military, he retired to become the owner of the Narumi Detective Agency. He is well versed in the ways of the world, and is aware of its many secrets, even having knowledge of demons and the supernatural. As such, he agreed with the Herald of Yatagarasu to take Raidou on as a part time junior detective while he worked secretly as the new Raidou Kuzunoha.The Narumi Detective Agency only takes on the most unusual cases, where the impossible is all that's left, although generally he isn't the type to get his hands dirty, and would rather pass on all the leg work to Raidou. While on the surface he may appear lazy, Narumi cares a lot about the people and won't stand idly by while the citizens suffer. Should Raidou ever be in deep trouble, Narumi will try to help, even if it's far beyond his abilities.Shouhei returns as the head of the detective agency once again in Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. Now claiming to be a "Modern Man", Shouhei has taken to blending his own coffee and eating nothing but toast for lunch.
- Badass Normal: He managed to get through Munakata's base, which was full of demons and undead Super Soldiers, with nothing but a pistol. Demons, it should be noted, he can't even hear, let alone see; another time, he entered Navy HQ, enduring hours of the Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique (his Navy captors even recognize how damn badass he is) and also once stomped out a battalion of enemy demons with a bit of Car Fu.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He's a very serious badass. However, most of the time he sends Raidou to do the legwork.
- Butt Monkey: Many times. In the manga, he was offered a damn nice car (utterly trashed in the above-mentioned Crowning Moment of Awesome) and a Briefcase Full of Money as compensation... which he refused out of principles. He later got tricked by a Nekomata's voicechanging ability and lost the person he was supposed to guard.
- Car Fu: Demolishes a group of demons with this. Unfortunately, the car wound up totaled. The car was supposed to be his reward.
- Mooching Master: To a degree. He's Flanderized into this for the novel, but he's a lot less guilty of this in the games and the manga.
- Must Have Caffeine: Narumi-blended coffee!
- Nice Guy
- Nice Hat
- Perpetual Poverty: He has a lot of debts, as he's used to living a good life. This often comes to bite him due to his chronic laziness.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Trademark Favorite Food: Toast.
- We Help the Helpless: He extends that philosophy to thinking Raidou might not be badass enough to infiltrate the Navy HQ. So he goes himself.
Tae AsakuraTae is an ace reporter for the Capital Daily, going by the pen name "Kichou" that comes for her respect for the feminist crusader Raichou Hiratsuka. She works hard to improve women's lot around the Capital, and does all her own legwork despite the danger that may be involved. She has an unfortunate tendency to faint when scared, but doesn't let this discourage her from going out and getting the scoop or trying to help in tough situations.Tae is an old friend of Narumi's, and when she managed to snap a shot of the mysterious Red Cape that has been sighted in the Capital, hires Narumi and Raidou to help her in her inquiries. After the Red Cape caper, Tae turns to Raidou several more times when facing potentially hostile situations.
- Distressed Damsel: Occasionally.
- Fetch Quest: In the second game, she has Raidou get photographs of some locales for her. Doing so will prove in her eyes Raidou honestly respects her.
- Hot Scoop
- Intrepid Reporter
- My Card: Often gives Narumi hers. He has enough to make a house.
- Nice Hat
The daughter of Takeshi Daidouji, head of the prestigious Daidouji family, Kaya is known for her sunny disposition. She treats her classmates and servants as equals despite being raised as a member of the upper crust, and is loved by them in return. However, Kaya has a dark family secret hanging over her head, and discoved that she was doomed to be possessed by a demon on her sixteenth birthday.Kaya spent much of her time locked in a secret basement beneath the Daidouji Residence as she approached her sixteen birthday, but with the help of her uncle, Kiyoshi, she escaped only to meet with Munakata's forces. Desperate, she contacted the Narumi Detective Agency and requested to meet them in private. Narumi and Raidou went to meet with Kaya, only to witness her taken by mysterious masked soldiers dressed in red.Much later Raidou was able to rescue Kaya, who took up temporary work at the Narumi Detective Agency afraid to return home. But all was not well, and after using Raidou to help her acquire an ancient artifact needed for the Super Soldier Project, revealed that she was already possessed, and escaped into the Dark Realm.Finally, after Raidou destroyed the Soulless God Oumagatsu, he is able to pursue Kaya into the Akarana Corridors of time where he discovers that the presence within Kaya is a Raidou Kuzunoha of the future. After a long battle, and even after the entity possesses the Soulless God Yasomagatsu, Raidou is able to defeat it. Expelling the entity from both the ship and Kaya, Raidou cast it into the abyss of time, and returned Kaya safely to her family.
- Action Girl: When she's possessed.
- Demonic Possession: She's playing host to a Kuzunoha of the future.
- Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday: Her family's curse.
- Distressed Damsel: And how!
- Important Haircut: Future Raidou gives her body one once he's fully in control.
- Hime Cut
- Living Bodysuit: The Kuzunoha of a far future time.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black
RasputinIn Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha, Rasputin played the role of a major character. He was a Dark Summoner (a Devil Summoner who turned his back on the teachings for personal gain) who attacked Raidou Kuzunoha several times to prevent him getting too close to the truth about the Soulless Army Project. He is believed to be the real Rasputin (although he is reported to be dead by then) until it is revealed that he is in fact a mechanical man working for Munakata as collateral to keep the project a secret until it is fully underway. Later, after his contract with Munakata is up, he unexpectedly turns to Raidou with information on Munakata's location and goal. He then seemingly watches from the sideline with neutral feelings on the outcome. It is revealed he is also a time traveller from the future, apparently sent to maintain the timeline, but ignored his mission to pursue his own goals. By the end of the game it is implied Rasputin remains in Raidou's time to become more 'human'.He returns in the sequel to provide hint for Raidou to defeat the Appollyon.
- Bad Boss: Demons used by him from the first game will have conversations with the others about he how treated them like crap in King Abaddon.
- Clock Roaches: Set back in time to ensure history follows the destined canon but eventually just does his own thing instead of his job.
- Distressed Dude: Surprisingly one in King Abaddon if you are neutral in King Abaddon during chapter 4 he'll be the one captive by the Tsukigata instead of Tae.
- Evil Counterpart
- Casanova Wannabe
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Well, Rasputin the time-travelling cyborg dark magician.
- The Beastmaster / Summon Magic
- Time Police: His job and he ends up abandoning it during Soulless Army.
Herald of Yatagarasu
- Black Cloak
- Enemy Scan: During Soulless Army she gives Raidou a mystical item that lets him scan enemies at the cost of 10 magnetite.
- In the Hood
- Mysterious Employer: Both her and the Yatagarasu are ones to everyone who works for them.
- Quest Giver: She is the one who gives Raidou the quests that kickstart the story of every Raidou game. Also gives other regular Case Files to be done when talked to.
- Spirit Advisor
- Woman in Black
He is an alchemist and a demonologist, who makes his home in the basement of Konnou-Ya. As the resident of the "Gouma-den", he's highly interested in studying Devil Summoners and the demons they employ. To that end, he will fuse your demons to strengthen them, heal you and your demons for a fee, keep track of the demons you've seen, and increase the power of your katana. He may be more than a little eccentric, but he will be of a great help to Raidou's journey.
- The Blacksmith: He can forge demons or crystals into Raidou's katana to make it more powerful.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Facial Markings
- For Science!
- Large Ham
- Milking the Giant Cow
- Mad Scientist: And he's on your side!
- Monster Compendium: The Devil Chart, in which he'll return registered demons to you for a fee.
- Non-Human Sidekick: His assistant is an Ippon-Datara disguised as a maid. Unsurprisingly, the thing hates being forced to dress like that.
- Shout-Out: To Victor Frankenstein
- Actually, he's implied to BE the real Victor Frankenstein as one of his chat lines is about how Raidou should avoid the Arctic because Victor speaks from experience. Victor in the Frankenstein novel followed his Monster to the North Pole...
Raido Kuzunoha the 14th
Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- Alternate Self: Of Raidou Kuzunoha
- Bonus Boss: In Soul Hackers. Also becomes a Dual Boss alongside Raidou.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns
- Legacy Character
- The Beastmaster / Summon Magic
- The Demons used by him in Soul Hackers 3DS are Gashadokuro, Yoshitsune, Mishaguji, Azumi, and Ippon-Datara.
- The Musketeer
Raidou Kuzunoha the 40th and Soulless God OumagatsuThe Big Bad of Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army, he was a member of the Temple Knights in the future of what is implied to be Shin Megami Tensei II. Not wanting to be a slave without any freedom in a world ruled by the corrupt Messians, he has traveled back in time to change the future and create a world that isn't under the control of the Messians.
- All There in the Manual: Him being the fortieth Raidou Kuzunoha is in the official fanbook.
- Anti-Villain: Type 3.
- Big Bad
- Bonus Boss: Soulless God Oumagatsu in Soul Hackers 3DS.
- Demonic Possession: To Kaya. Later possesses the Soulless God Oumagatsu.
- Empty Shell: Oumagatsu. It's even called the Soulless God.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Destined to eternally wander the time stream as a lost soul at the end of the game.
- Final Boss: Of Soulless Army.
- Fusion Dance: With Soulless God Oumagatsu.
- Humongous Mecha: Soulless God Oumagatsu.
- Knight Templar
- Legacy Character
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: His goal. He ends up failing to achieve his goal. However, the past was already changing before he arrived which is why Rasputin was sent back. So while his actions were meaningless in the end, the future still changed.
- Transforming Mecha: Soulless God Oumagatsu.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- A Boy And His Giant Locust
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- The Atoner: After he found out that summoning the Apollyons was not a good idea.
- Boss Subtitles: Dahn the Direct
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the Law Route.
- Malevolent Masked Man: As Dahn the Direct.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Dahn has a bit of a breakdown when the summoned Apollyons don't obey him, as he didn't even realize that causing so much misfortune would open the Gate of The Abysmal Realm.
- Non-Human Sidekick: His Locust Taromaru.
- One-Winged Angel: In the Law route as Dahn the Direct.
- Playing with Fire: His burning resolve attack.
- Poisonous Person: Uses it in his fight as Dahn the Direct.
- Power at a Price: Dahn uses a Death Ward to control the Luck Locusts since they don't eat the luck of a corpse. The price is a few years off his life depending on how long he uses it.
- Screw You, Elves!: What he plans on doing to the Tento Lords. Not the Mushibito though. He respects and likes them.
- Tragic Monster
- Walking the Earth: At the end of the game in the Neutral and Chaos path. Where he plans to lead the Mushibito to a new home where they won't be shunned for their appearance.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Stealing the Capitals Luck was part of his goal of freeing the Tsukigata village from the control of the Tento Lords. It backfires horribly.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Boss Subtitles: Akane the Patient.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the Chaos and Neutral Route.
- Malevolent Masked Man: As Akane the Patient and a bit earlier.
- Marriage to a God: She has to marry Lord Tento.
- Flunky Boss: She summons Mots during the battle against Akane the Patient
- One-Winged Angel: As Akane the Patient in the Chaos and Neutral Route.
- Tragic Monster: As Akane the Patient, she laments how despite following everything she was ordered to do, she ends up suffering anyway.
- You Can't Fight Fate: What she believes in, and asks you to find her brother so that he won't interfere.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
Geirin Kuzunoha the 17th
- Badass Grandpa
- Catch Phrase: Goes through the process of peppering his dialogue with a lot of "theories", "processes" and "conjectures", even in places where they are theoretically not needed. To say Nagi got her habit of doing so is a sound conjecture. Whatever the case, between the two of them, those words will go through the process of losing all meaning by the end of the game.
- Cool Old Guy
- Legacy Character: He's the 17th of the devil summoner line to inherit the title of "Geirin"—the highest rank of devil summoners.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard
- The Beastmaster / Summon Magic: Like all Devil Summoners. He summoned High Pixie and gave it to Nagi later. During the boss fight against him he summons Raksha, Mahakala, Thor, Rangda, Mada, Basilisk, Angel, and Sandalphon.
- Honor Before Reason: He actually makes you fight him for an item necessary to save the freaking world.
- The Musketeer: A Gunslinger and an adept swordsman.
- Old Master
Nagi Geirin Kuzunoha the 18th
- All of the Other Reindeer: As a child, the secluded villagers of Tsukigata village were afraid of her, due to her unusual blue eyes. She wandered in the neighboring woods until Geirin found her.
- Catch Phrase: Has a habit of peppering her dialogue with a lot of "theories", "processes" and "conjectures": she likely picked it up from her master.
- The Beastmaster / Summon Magic: She's still learning how to summon demons during the game and High Pixie was given to her by Geirin. In Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Lone Marebito she's become skilled enough to summon Yoshitsune and get him to fight for her, if not to outright control him.
- Legacy Character: She's been training ever since Geirin found her to be the 18th Geirin Kuzunoha. Which she eventually becomes after his death.
- Meaningful Name: Her name means calm, as in the calm after a storm. Geirin gave her the name in reference to her blue eyes.
- Mixed Ancestry: Russian and Japanese.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents were killed by demons in the Tento Woods.
- Precocious Crush / Hot for Teacher: A little girl NPC reveals in chapter 4 that Nagi has a crush on her master if you choose to say you will not marry her.
- Ship Tease: She likewise gets very flustered around Raidou, much to High Pixie's irritation.
- The Apprentice
- Back from the Dead: In the ending
- Combat Pragmatist: Will do whatever she needs to do to help Nagi win. She'll use needles to try to stab out a foes eyes or use bamboo to knock them out in The Lone Marebito.
- Improvised Weapon: Will use whatever she can get her hands on when she isn't using magic.
- Kimono: Unlike most Fairies she wears one.
- Non Human Side Kick: To Nagi.
- Playing with Fire: Agidyne.
ShinadoThe deity worshiped by the Tsukigata villagers in Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. He speaks to Raidou throughout the story. His personality is split between two halves: the benevolent Sorrow Aspect and the nihilistic Anger Aspect. Anger Aspect is also the Big Bad of the game and takes the title of King Abaddon.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: When speaking with Raidou, he takes the form of someone Raidou knows(or Raidouhimself) wearing a Shinado mask. Until he decides to get dangerous.
- Barrier Change Boss: His very final form will shift immunities every time he moves into Raidou's attack range.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: He commands the Apollyons by taking the title of King Abaddon.
- Dark Messiah: His Anger Aspect genuinely believes that there is no hope in the future and that mankind should embrace him to seek salvation.
- Eye Beams / Beam Spam / Frickin' Laser Beams: During his boss battle.
- Final Boss: Of King Abaddon.
- Flunky Boss: In the second stage of his fight Apollyons constantly appear every time one is defeated.
- Helpless Good Side: The Sorrow Aspect cannot stop the Anger Aspect and needs Raidou to do it instead.
- Knight Templar: His Anger Aspect.
- Literal Split Personality: His Anger and Sorrow Aspects.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Subverted with his Sorrow Aspect. Played straight with the Anger Aspect and anyone who has given into despair.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: His Anger Aspect is one.
Abe SeimeiA young Devil Summoner who works for the Yatagarasu in Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Lone Marebito. A descendant of Abe no Seimei, he was sent to aid Raidou after coming across people who had obtained unusual powers. Eventually reveals his true colors as the Big Bad of the manga.
- The Beastmaster / Summon Magic: Like all Devil Summoners.
- Back from the Dead: Died before the story began.
- Big Bad: Of The Lone Marebito
- Body Horror: His left eye becomes freakishly huge during his battle against Raidou near the end of the manga. It even has blood oozing out of his eye socket.
- Body Motifs: Eyes. Almost every animal demon he ends up summoning as a spy or steed are one eyed beasts. Even one of his own eyes becomes inhumanly huge.
- Child Prodigy
- Famous Ancestor: Abe No Seimei.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- The Man Behind the Man: The one behind the Marebito project.
- Onmyodo: A Onmyoji along with being a Devil Summoner.
- Stoic Spectacles