Characters: Detective Conan Other Recurring Characters
open/close all folders
A famous karate champion who becomes Sonoko's long-distance boyfriend later in the series. He's from Izu and his family owns a ryokan there
.Mandatory Naming Note
: The last two kanji of his name (-goku Makoto) is Alternate Character Reading
, a major school of karate (This has been lampshaded
- Adorkable: He gets easily flustered when he's with Sonoko.
- Ambiguously Brown: On the darker side of someone from Tokyo.
- Badass: Holds the record of being undefeated in 400 matches around the world. He can also take out several guards with guns ready to fire at point-blank range.
- Big Damn Heroes: Not bad at these.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Through nothing but a harsh, disciplined training in karate that has dominated most of his life, Makoto Kyogoku can defeat a small army of hired thugs, knock out armed criminals and dodge bullets.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Downplayed. We don't to see it to great extent since he only appears from time to time, but we can tell from his first appearance that he does not like any guy hitting on Sonoko.
- Genius Bruiser: Makoto is shown to have an astute mind due to his extensive training, being able to identify Kaitou Kid disguised as Sonoko because of a difference in finger lengths. This is possible because he can take full dimensions of a person he meets in moments. It is a habit of analyzing his opponents physical features with a glance.
- Gentle Giant: Makoto is a dorky, sweet guy and is one of the tallest characters in the series.
- Long Distance Relationship: With Sonoko.
- Love at First Sight: Makoto actually saw Sonoko for the first time when she was cheering for Ran in a karate tournament, and since then he had a crush on her.
- Made of Iron: Seems to have an uncanny resistence to pain. Come on, he gets a knife stuck in his left arm and just says he's okay!
- Nice Guy: He can be awkward, but he's also brave, selfless, and deeply loves Sonoko.
- Oblivious to Love: He's horribly Not Good with People, so he seems to have a hard time picking up on her "subtle" hints—in the Valentine's Day episode where she went to a resort with Kogoro's family to make a chocolate heart for (she told Makoto) "the person she cared for most," Makoto showed up to see who this person was and if he was a suitable companion for her. This turned out to be a good thing, as he arrived just in time to help KO two murderers who got the drop on everyone else. When he asked who it was and Sonoko pointed at him, he turned around to look behind him.
- Official Couple: With Sonoko Suzuki.
- Pointless Band-Aid: Near his left eye.
- Red Baron: "The Prince of Kicks", according to Ran.
- Single-Target Sexuality: See the Love at First Sight section.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Very talented karate expert. Very naive in any social interactions.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He wears contacts when he spars, but Makoto does wear glasses. And he's been shown to have a keen eye for detail. A skill that allowed him know that Kaitou Kid had disguised himself as Sonoko.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Tall, dark-skinned, and extremely good-looking.
An employee of Café Poirot, the coffee shop directly underneath the Mouri Detective Agency. She is often seen serving Mouri a cup of coffee and occasionally gives him a case that needs to be solved.
- Art Evolution: To say her appearance drastically changed as the series went on would be quite an understatement. She's literally had three◊ different◊ looks including her most recent appearance seen here.
- Case Of The Week: Her brother, Sugihito Enomoto, becomes a murder suspect for the Present from the True Culprit case.
- Nice Girl
- Satellite Character: Mostly acts as a connection for Mouri to have a place to sit down and discuss upcoming cases.
One of the earliest recurring characters on record, she is Kogoro's favourite Idol Singer
. Often guides the Mouris in situations involving the entertainment industry.
Fusae Campbell Kinoshita
Fusae Campbell Kinoshita
Famous fashion designer using gingko leaves as her personal motif.
A beautiful and strongwilled attorney who serves as Eri's rival.
Tomoko and Shiro Suzuki
Tomoko and Shiro Suzuki
Sonoko's wealthy parents.
Sonoko's retired uncle. He spends most of his wealth and free time thinking up bizarre traps to finally catch Kaito Kid.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Cool Old Guy: Outside of his fervour in capturing Kaito Kid, he is a very amiable person and gets along well with his niece and her friends.
- Glory Seeker: His sole reason for capturing Kaito Kid stemmed from the fact that the latter has been stealing the limelight from him in the media.
Sonoko's elder sister, a gentle young woman who offers quite the contrast with her boisterous little sister.
- The Cameo: After being absent for 700+ chapters, she makes a brief background appearance during Kaito Kid vs Makoto Kyougoku alongside Yuzo.
- Cool Big Sis: Is this for Sonoko.
- Dub Name Change: Angie Sebastian
- Eyes Always Shut: Self explanatory.
- It's All My Fault: During the case she's introduced, she blames herself for the murder of Chikako and the attack on Ran since the reunion was her idea.
- Official Couple: With Yuzo.
- The Ojou: More of a Type 1 than Sonoko.
Ayako's fiance, and Sonoko's future brother-in-law. Yuzo is a young painter, and the son of another rich family.
- Adorkable: For some.
- The Cameo: After being absent for over 700+ chapters, he makes a brief background appearance during Kaito Kid vs Makoto Kyougoku alongside Ayako.
- Dub Name Change: Tod Appenheimer
- Official Couple: With Ayako
- Same-Sex Triplets: The youngest of them. Subverted in that save for their eyes, they don't look THAT alike.
- Self-Made Orphan: Averted. He was one of the three suspects alongside his triplet siblings Taichi and Tatsuji, but he wasn't the culprit. It was the eldest, Taichi.
Inspector Megure's wife.
- Alliterative Name: Midori Megure.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a scar on her forehead, coming from the incident in which both she and Megure were almost killed.
- Joshikousei: When in highschool, and actually a very important point in the case she was involved in, as the length of her school skirt (often used by girl delinquents) drew a Serial Killer to her.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: She wore these long skirts to deliberately draw the Serial Killer towards herself, since she acted as a Decoy Damsel to get justice for said killer's murder of her best friend. Lampshaded when she lays injured in Megure's arms in his flashback, and she tells him "it didn't work like in the movies."
- May-December Romance: Is quite younger than Megure. When they met, he was in his mid-20's and she was in her late teens and still in school
- Silk Hiding Steel: Her introductory episode shows a skill for subtlety. Also, she can be rather hot-tempered in the very few times she gets angry.
Dr. Araide's housekeeper.
- Dojikko: Not Played for Laughs, as Dr. Araide Sr. treats her harshly due to her blunders.
- Ill Girl: She met the Araide family when she was hospitalized, then started working for them.
- Shrinking Violet
- Unwitting Pawn: And Conan, Inspector Megure, and Dr. Araide's second wife/killer make sure it stays that way. Would you want to know that you accidentally killed someone by flipping on the lights at the worst moment? Poor Hikaru.
- Unrequited Love: She might have feelings for Dr. Araide Jr.. Would you blame her, tho?
A recurring housemaid who had previously gone to the same school as Naeko and Chiba.
- Childhood Friends: With the rookie traffic cop Naeko Miike and Officer Chiba.
- Mystery Magnet: Poor girl cannot seem to avoid running into murder cases in her workplaces. Which was lampshaded by Inspector Megure, who fervently hoped that she does not turn into another Kogoro.
Yumi's ex-boyfriend who is actually a professional Shogi
player.Mandatory Naming Note
: His full name Shukichi Haneda (羽田 秀𠮷) and the in-story nickname Taiko (太閤) are both references to Toyotomi Hideyoshi
(豊臣 秀吉), who was later renamed Hashiba Hideyoshi (羽柴 秀吉). Additionally, Haneda's "Hane" (羽) also comes from Yoshiharu Habu
(羽生 善治), a real-life professional shogi player who has won all seven titles.
- Gotta Catch Them All: His ambition is to win all seven professional shogi title tournaments.note
- Hyper Awareness: Appears to be able to pick out clues in his introductory case at around the same time as Conan. Justified that this ability is probably what made him a successful shogi player.
- Insecure Love Interest: Believes that he is unworthy of Yumi until he can win all seven professional shogi title tournaments.
- Living a Double Life: Actively conceals his profession from Yumi as he does not want her to know about his rising celebrity status (he already won four of the seven titles as to date) before his ambition is fulfilled. Also helped by the fact that Yumi does not seem to keep track of news from the shogi world.
- Perma Stubble
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Has a keen eye and amazing deduction prowess on par with Conan.
The Mysterious Child
An odd pre-teen who showed up very recently in both manga and anime, and is acquintanced with Masumi Sera.
- Bifauxnen: She looks fairly androgynous, and asks Sera to introduce her as "her little sister from outside the domain" if somebody asks.
- Ill Girl: Has an unexplained cough.
- Sugar Andice Personality: She acts cool and poised, but seems to be genuinely giddy when she sees Haneda win one of his matches.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She seems to be very mature for someone who is middle-school age (12-15) tops. It's been speculated that she might be another victim of the Organization, shrunk by the same drug that made Shinichi/Conan and Ai/Shiho into "kids". Or maybe that "she" is actually a girly-looking guy who was shrunk.