open/close all folders
The high-school detective of Osaka who serves as Shinichi's main rival. He eventually learns of Shinichi becoming Edogawa Conan and decides to keep it a secret, but is kept in the loop on the latest information regarding the Black Organization.
He and Shinichi become close friends as the series moves along, and are always seen together when they're solving cases...or talking about girls.Mandatory naming note
: Hattori came from Inspector Hattori of Tantei Monogatari
who worked with Kudo Shunsaku. Heiji came from Zenigata Heiji
, a fictional police officer in the Edo era.
- Accidental Pervert: He told Kazuha to take her clothes off. She was shocked for a moment, while Heiji was attempting to undo her clothes, and slapped him. The reason was that she was knocked out earlier with a stun-gun and he was looking for a small burn mark.
- Alliterative Name
- Always Second Best: When Heiji and Shinichi work together, they're each other's equal and will often arrive at the same conclusions. But when they compete with each other or their deductions differ, Shinichi usually wins.
- Amateur Sleuth
- Ambiguously Brown: He's clearly Japanese, and he inherited his dark skin from his grandfather, but we don't know ultimately what that comes from.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kazuha.
- Blade Run
- Catch Phrase: "Ahou," Kansai Regional Accent version of baka.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kazuha.
- Common Eye Colors
- Ditzy Genius: While a bit controversial, Heiji is sometimes thought as such. He's a brilliant detective, but can't for the life of him remember to call Shinichi 'Conan' when they're in public. He also has a bit of a Hair-Trigger Temper, particularly when talking to his childhood friend Kazuha.
- So much so that one fanfiction diagnosed Heiji with Asperger's Syndrome in a fictionalized psych profile.
- Which is unfortunate, as very few of the traits match the Syndrome, and this is more of a case of Art Major Psychology.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Prankster sub-type.
- Improvised Weapon: He often improvised whatever he has for a sword.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Kansai Dialect
- Kendo Team Captain: And has apparently done pretty well against the famously tough members of the Osaka PD.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He made repeated use of this, particularly drawing on his "Osakanisms" to cover up whenever he uses Conan's real name by accident.
- Oblivious to Love: Heiji is apparently utterly incapable of realizing his feelings for Kazuha or vice versa; even going so far as to believe the jealousy he felt when she flirted with a magician was just a leader's concern for his follower.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Shinichi/Conan's Blue Oni.
- The Rival: To Shinichi. They're close friends and usually work together in cases, but on several occasions Heiji tries to prove he can solve the case before Shinichi. Most of the time, he fails.
- Secret Keeper: A rather bad one, however, constantly blurting out Conan's real identity and then scrambling to cover it up.
- Surprisingly Good English
- Teen Genius
Heiji's childhood friend and love-interest who becomes close friends with Ran.
Heiji's father and the Police Commissioner of Osaka.
Heiji's strongwilled mother.
Chief Ginshiro Touyama
Kazuha's father as well as the Chief Criminal Investigator of the Osaka prefecture. As such, he works closely with Heizou Hattori.
The Osakan police inspector.Mandatory naming note
: Otaki's name comes from the character Gorozo of Otaki from the long-running Onihei Hankachou series.