Characters: Detective Conan Osakan Personalities
open/close all folders
Heiji Hattori/ Harley Hartwell
Voiced by Ryo Horikawa (JP), Humberto Amor (first Latin American Spanish dub), Luciano Fox (third Latin American Spanish dub)The high-school detective of Osaka who serves as Shinichi's main rival. He eventually learns of Shinichi becoming Edogawa Conan and decides to keep it a secret, but is kept in the loop on the latest information regarding the Black Organization.He and Shinichi become close friends as the series moves along, and are always seen together when they're solving cases...or talking about girls.Mandatory naming note: Hattori came from Inspector Hattori of Tantei Monogatari who worked with Kudo Shunsaku. Heiji came from Zenigata Heiji, a fictional police officer in the Edo era.
- Accidental Pervert: He told Kazuha to take her clothes off. She was shocked for a moment, while Heiji was attempting to undo her clothes, and slapped him. The reason was that she was knocked out earlier with a stun-gun and he was looking for a small burn mark.
- Adorkable: A mystery loving Otaku with a thick Kansai Dialect, who has a hard time expressing his feelings for the girl he loves.
- Alliterative Name: Heiji Hattori.
- Always Second Best: When Heiji and Shinichi work together, they're each other's equal and will often arrive at the same conclusions. But when they compete with each other or their deductions differ, Shinichi usually wins.
- Amateur Sleuth: He's even called "The Detective of the West".
- Ambiguous Disorder: Heiji is really thick about other people's feelings, bad at picking up social cues, and extremely awkward a lot of the time. He can't lie without stuttering and giggling like an idiot, and he latches onto ideas or interests and does not let them go. For example, when he first became friends with Conan, he talked about Shinichi SO incessantly that his childhood friend believes him to have a girlfriend in Tokyo with the last name Kudo. He's also extremely adept at remembering little details and noticing anything out of the ordinary, no matter how minor.
- Other than that, he sometimes shows unhealthy excitement when there's a case to investigate. There's one instance when he cheerfully (or enthusiastically, depend on how you see this) announce to Kogoro and Conan that he has a murder case to investigate. This prompted Kazuha to called him out on this, reminded him that he shouldn't be excited about other people's death.
- Ambiguously Brown: He's clearly Japanese, and he inherited his dark skin from his grandfather, but we don't know ultimately what that comes from.
- Badass Biker: Shown in full extent in the non-canonical third movie.
- Badass Bookworm: Heiji has an extraordinarily broad and deep knowledge of many subjects and trivia that help him solve cases.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kazuha.
- Berserk Button: Heiji has shown his extreme dislike of men flirting with Kazuha, but if anyone so much as threatens her, or makes him think she's being threatened, Heiji will kick your ass. In fact, this is what led to Heiji's confession."Whatcha doin' to MY Kazuha!!?"
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Inherited from his father.
- Blade Run: Was able to pull this off when confronted by a murderer who was about to kill him.
- Catch Phrase: "Ahou," Kansai Regional Accent version of baka.
- Chained Heat: With Kazuha. When they were kids, they got handcuffed while playing with a pair that belonged to Heiji's policeman dad. They spent a whole a day like that, and when they were released Heiji kept an amulet made with a piece of said 'cuffs. Which would later become a Pocket Protector, and save Conan from being stabbed to death.
- Character Tics: He usually wears his cap with its visor pointed backward, but if he feels challenged, he turns the visor forward.
- Chick Magnet: Shown in full during the Nanami Swordsman and Toyotomi's Castle case, when a group of girls were excited to meet Heiji. It turned out Heiji asked a friend to pretend to be him for a moment so he could talk to Conan.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kazuha.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Downplayed. Heiji is able to deduct what kind of swimsuits girls are wearing, but that's about as far it goes. He's nowhere near as bad as Kogoro.
- Common Eye Colors
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Like how Shinichi acts towards Ran, Heiji really doesn't like it when a guy looks like he has an interest in Kazuha. When this happens, Heiji is unable to concentrate on the case at hand. His jealousy is even worse than Kazuha's jealous moments.
- He doesn't even like it when she talks about another guy (i.e. Kazuha calling Shinichi Kudo "really smart").
- Determinator: Not only did he refuse to let go of Kazuha while they were hanging off the edge of a cliff after she'd stabbed him in the hand to try and make him let go of her , he somehow managed to pull themselves back up off screen.
- Ditzy Genius: While a bit controversial, Heiji is sometimes thought as such. He's a brilliant detective, but can't for the life of him remember to call Shinichi 'Conan' when they're in public. He also has a bit of a Hair-Trigger Temper, particularly when talking to his childhood friend Kazuha.
- Fanboy: Heiji is a big fan of Ellery Queen.
- Fatal Flaw: Despite him knowing the value and necessity of remaining calm in the face of a crime, Heiji tends to be impulsive at times, which tends to cloud his judgment a little. This was discussed directly in the "Detective Koushien" case, when Saguru Hakuba (another Amateur Sleuth) accused Heiji of being a poor detective for disrupting a crime scene in his rush to see if the victim could still be saved. Also, unlike Shinichi, Heiji seems to be more competitive and hot-blooded while solving a case, which sometimes leads him into making a wrong deduction (i.e. the case in his first appearance).
- Foil: With Shinichi:
- Heiji is a dark-skinned Osakan who lives with both of his parents, who are very strict (especially his dad whose approach is Tough Love). It took some time during the series, off-screen, to realize his feelings for Kazuha, and is still not aware of her mutual feelings for him. Plus, Heiji has amazing kendo skills and is on the team; Shinichi is a light-skinned Tokyoite who lives (before turning into Conan) by himself, raised by laid-back parents (especially his dad).By middle school, he figured out his romantic feelings for Ran before she did, and is aware of her feelings for him. Also, while Shinichi has incredible soccer skills, he isn't (or wasn't) in his high school's soccer club.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Matches perfectly with his hot blooded nature, Heiji has a tendency to snap at people, even when they haven't done anything so wrong (i.e. he yells at Kazuha for suggesting he take a break from a case and eat).
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Becomes this with Shinichi/Conan over time.
- Hot-Blooded: Frequently called out on this by anyone he meets.
- Humans Are Flawed: "Humans are suspicious and jealous creatures. When they see something perfect, they wanna find a flaw."
- Hypocrite: A rather humorous example. Although he frequently mocks Kazuha for her superstitions and enthusiasm for good-luck charms, Heiji has several times revealed that he puts more trust in them than he would admit. He once dreamed of Shinichi being murdered, and out subsequently insisted that Conan wear his omamori, the good luck charm Kazuha gave him. The omamori ended up saving Shinichi's life by deflecting a knife blow, but Heiji, without his usual protection, was shot in the stomach. In another case, Ran hung a teruterubozu, a charm that's supposed to ensure good weather, in the window so that Conan would have good weather for his field trip the next day. Heiji, however, got up in the middle of the night to take down the teruterubozu so that Conan's field trip would be rained out and he could accompany Heiji on an investigation of the The Red Horse Among The Flames.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Prankster sub-type.
- Idiot Hero: Played with. Heiji has one of the sharpest minds in the series, but he's also Hot-Blooded and barely conceals Shinichi's secret.
- Improvised Weapon: He often improvised whatever he has for a sword.
- Insufferable Genius: Like Shinichi, Heiji has a habit of calling people idiot if they do or say something he finds stupid.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Has a quick temper, a high-and-mighty attitude, the sensitivity training of a snapping turtle, and can be disrespectful to his friends, older adults, and even his parents. However, there's no denying his strong love for protecting those closest to him and his strong sense of justice is on par with Shinichi/Conan.
- Kansai Dialect: A very thick one, that he has a hard time concealing.
- Kendo Team Captain: And has apparently done pretty well against the famously tough members of the Osaka PD.
- Master Swordsman: Of the kendo variety. See Kendo Team Captain for more details.
- Nice Hat: His trademark "Sax" hat. Normally his hat is placed backwards, but whenever he feels a challenge he'll turn all the way to the front, until the said challenge is over.
- No Social Skills: Possibly even worse than Shinichi/Conan's. He once got excited over the prospect of someone being dead, without taking into account the potential feelings of the victims's loved oned or just the proper decency to show someone who has just been murdered.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He made repeated use of this, particularly drawing on his "Osakanisms" to cover up whenever he uses Conan's real name by accident.
- Oblivious to Love: Heiji is apparently utterly incapable of realizing his feelings for Kazuha or vice versa; even going so far as to believe the jealousy he felt when she flirted with a magician was just a leader's concern for his follower. Till the Drug Trading Case, anyway.
- The Prankster: Likes to pull childish, but harmless tricks on either Conan/Shinichi or Kazuha.
- Pride: As a detective and when talking about Osaka.
- Private Detective: Heiji will tackle a case handed to him, but he's more of a Amateur Sleuth.
- Red Baron: Known as "The Detective of the West".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The rash, Hot-Blooded Red Oni to Shinichi/Conan's calm, somewhat more standoffish Blue Oni.
- The Rival: To Shinichi. They're close friends and usually work together in cases, but on several occasions Heiji tries to prove he can solve the case before Shinichi. Most of the time, he fails.
- Scars Are Forever: Heiji has a scar on the back of his hand where his would-be girlfriend Kazuha stabbed him with a pen when they were hanging off a cliff, in a desperate attempt to make him let go of her hand... so as to make it more likely he'd make it to the top without the extra weight. He still held on, and they both lived to tell.
- Secret Keeper: A rather bad one, however, constantly blurting out Conan's real identity and then scrambling to cover it up.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Shinichi's Sensitive Guy. In reality, Shinichi isn't actually a sensitive person in general, but knows when to keep his head cool and in a romantic sense, figured out his feelings for Ran first, a rarity in Shonen protagonists. Heiji is Hot-Blooded guy, who is a little more thick when it comes to appreciating someone's feelings.
- Shipper on Deck: Even with his teasing, Heiji genuinely wants Shinichi (Conan) and Ran to become a couple. He once suggested that Shinichi tell Ran the truth about the Black Organization to ease both of their suffering.
- Single-Target Sexuality: In a reverse situation from Shinichi and Ran, it took Heiji a while to realize his romantic feelings for Kazuha. However, even before coming to realize his feelings, Heiji has never shown interest in any other girl.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: His whole dynamic with Kazuha: They argue and call each other idiot, but they have a deep connection and love each other dearly.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: The light-hearted, jokester Wise Guy to Shinichi's serious, deadpan Straight Man.
- Surprisingly Good English: He speaks fluent English and his accent doesn't show.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Like Shinichi, Heiji has been known to fit this.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Along with his cutting sarcasm.
- Teen Genius: Heiji has shown himself to have an eidetic memory, capable of remembering complex letter and number sequences at only a glance, such as when he was able to solve a code in his head during the "Heiji and Kazuha in Grave Danger" arc, and even reproduce another message using the same code to text to Conan.
- Trademark Favorite Food: One of the OVAs shows Heiji really enjoys Okonomiyaki.
Kazuha Touyama / Kirsten Thomas (Anime)/ Katrina Tolliver (Wii)
Voiced by Yuko Miyamura (JP) Marcela Bordes (first Latin American Spanish dub), Gigliola Mariángel (third Latin American Spanish dub)Heiji's childhood friend and love-interest who becomes close friends with Ran.
- Action Girl: Aikido expert. Very helpful when par her with Ran's Karate.
- Anger Born of Worry: Anytime she gets angry, most of the time, it's because she worries for his safety.
- Badass Adorable: She knows Aikido and is quite cute, especially when talking about Heiji.
- Badass in Distress: In the Kyoto movie, she was kidnapped and used as a bait for Heiji and Conan. Once she was released by Conan, though, they both helped Heiji in his fight.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Heiji.
- Cannot Spit It Out: When she finally does get the nerve to do so (mentioning Shinichi's confession to Ran in London), Heiji rushes off to find and tease Conan before she can.
- Chained Heat: With Heiji. When they were kids, they got handcuffed while playing with a pair that belonged to Heiji's policeman dad. They spent a whole a day like that, and when they were released Heiji kept an amulet made with a piece of said 'cuffs. Which would later become a Pocket Protector, and save Conan from being stabbed to death.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Heiji.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Played for Laughs in her first appearance.
- Daddy's Girl: Kazuha has a close relationship to her dad.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Kazuha was rather frosty towards Ran because she thought that Ran may have took an interest in Heiji (they wore the same type of shirt twice). After Ran wordlessly changed shirts to put Kazuha at ease, the Osakan girl realized how nice Ran was and they instantly became friends.
- Dude Magnet: Similar to Ran, Kazuha has many gentlemen ogling over her.
- Foil: She and Ran are foils to each other.
- Kazuha lives with both parents (her mother has yet to make an appearance), is a little affectionate, but is capable of a lot, and is classified as a Type A Tsundere. Heiji is physically with her, but their feelings for each other have yet to be spoken. Kazuha is an Aikido expert and uses her hands more when fighting;Ran lives with her father (both her parents are separated), is generally more affectionate, and is classified as a Type B Tsundere. Shinichi is not with her currently, but he's really Conan Edogawa, and because of that her romantic feelings were noticed. She is a karate expert, and implores a lot of kicks when fighting.
- Friend to All Children: In a side OVA, Kazuha showed a great talent with nursing children, and would like to have one someday.
- Green Eyes: Possibly to show her importance to the show.
- Hair Decorations: Spices up her ponytail with colorful hairbands.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When she and Heiji are hanging precariously off the edge of a cliff, she attempts one and stabs him in the hand to make him let go of her. He doesn't.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Becomes this with Ran over time.
- Hidden Depths: She may not be on Heiji's level, but Kazuha was able to get his hint of a code in a murder investigation.
- There's also how she remembered a relatively small detail of how Ran and Heiji wore the same type of t-shirt twice, even though the time between her first and second appearance was a long one.
- Hot-Blooded: Though she's more calmer than Heiji.
- Kansai Dialect: It's not as thick as Heiji's. It helps that her seiyuu is from Kobe.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold/Nice Girl: Was the former in her first two appearances; she was cold and snippy towards Ran because she thought that the other girl had an interest in Heiji. Afterwards, Kazuha became more of the latter. She's basically is in between both.
- Missing Mom: Not really missing, but not seen at all, only mentioned.
- Protective Charm: They aren't real since the genre of the series doesn't include "magic", but Kazuha has a marked belief in spirits, good-luck charms, and other superstitions. Right from her first experience, she displayed her belief in the importance of hers and Heiji's omamori, charms which Kazuha made to protect her and Heiji from harm.
- A later case shows that Kazuha and her mother (but Kazuha even more so) are apparently well-known in Osaka thanks to the good-luck charms they make, said to be very effective good luck magnets for their owners.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Pale skin with raven hair.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Ran's Blue Oni.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Invoked on her in the seventh movie. In a subversion, this happened to her years ago, when she was a little girl visiting her family in Kyoto and they put her in a fancy kimono. Then little Heiji saw her under the Cherry Blossoms...
- Shipper on Deck: She ships Shinichi and Ran.
- Shorttank: Her usual outfit.
- Single-Target Sexuality: In a reverse situation from Shinichi and Ran, it was Kauzha who realized her feelings for Heiji before he did and has never looked at another guy.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Kazuha is in love with her childhood best friend Heiji Hattori. To reiterate, Kazuha loves the Osakan detective who has a strong sense of justice and has proven to her time and again that he will do anything to protect her, including get in a brawl, from anything that could hurt her.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Her whole dynamic with Heiji: They argue and call each other idiot, but they have a deep connection and love each other dearly.
- Tomboy: More so than Ran. Kazuha's way of dressing ranges from shirt and jeans to (though rarely) dresses.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Her trademark hairstyle.
- Tsundere: Type A this time, meaning she's more temper-y than Ran.
- Why Does It Have To Be Snakes: Like Ran, Kazuha has an intense fear over the supernatural.
Heizou Hattori/ Martin Hartwell
Heiji's father and the Police Commissioner of Osaka.
- Alliterative Name: Heizou Hattori.
- Badass In Charge: Heizou is the highest ranking officer at Osaka Prefectural police Headquarters, and thus has the command of many of the police officers of Osaka.
- Badass Moustache: His intelligence is on par with Yusaku Kudo.
- Da Chief: Heizo is the highest ranking officer at the Osaka Prefectural Police Headquarters; he is Superintendent Supervisor (Rank 2).
- Eyes Always Shut: He rarely open one, left alone both.
- Jerk Ass: At his worst.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Heizo still loves his son and will protect him with his life.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ginshiro Toyama. In fact there friendship is how Kazuha and Heiji became friends with each other and more.
- Manipulative Bastard: And not even Kogoro is pleased.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: As a high-ranked commissioner, his work is mostly a paperwork and negotiations-centered one (unlike what Hollywood and comic books say) so he leaves the action more to people like Touyama or Ohtaki.
- Tough Love: Ginshiro even lampshades this to Ohtaki on Heizo's relationship with his son.
Shizuka Hattori, nče Ikenami/ Melinda Hartwell.
Voiced by Masako Katsuki (JP)Heiji's beautiful, strongwilled mother.
- Action Mom: Her first appearance includes easily subduing the culprit in a murder case.
- Housewife: After she's married.
- Lady of War: Former kendo champion, and has NOT lost her skills.
- Older Than They Look: Is older than Kogoro and Eri, and yet looks quite young.
- Paper Fan of Doom: She can catch the katana of a person swinging it wildly with just her fan.
- Prim and Proper Bun: Her hairstyle.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: With heavy emphasis on the will of iron. Her first appearance leaves it clear; not only she's a Lady of War able to stop katanas with a fan, but she took the pain of coming all the way from Osaka, make up a fake story so Kogoro won't suspect her, and hire him to look for someone else... so she can watch over him and his entourage, because she wants to see what kind of person he is after her only son got hurt in a case involving him.
Chief Ginshiro Touyama
Chief Ginshiro Touyama/ Chief Thomas
Kazuha's father as well as the Chief Criminal Investigator of the Osaka prefecture. As such, he works closely with Heizou Hattori.
- Death Glare: Gives an epic one to Heiji win the young detective had the nerve to yell at his daughter.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Heizo Hattori. In fact, there friendship is how Kazuha and Heiji became friends with each other and more.
- No Name Given: We didn't learn his first name (Ginshiro) until the 14th movie.
- Shipper on Deck: He has mentioned that he will not let any other guy be involved with Kazuha, unless that said guy was Heiji.
Goro Ohtaki/ Inspector Odin
Mandatory naming note: Otaki's name comes from the character Gorozo of Otaki from the long-running Onihei Hankachou series.