Nessiah Aries ArtwaltzA young angel who transferred to the Collegium just prior to the start of the story after his own magic escaped his control badly. To prevent the same thing from happening twice, he's bound by a set of chains that restrain his magic. At first Nessiah was very prickly and had trouble getting along with others, but as he started to make friends and became closer and closer to Milanor, it was revealed that his social awkwardness stemmed from more serious problems.Ever since he was selected to join the Collegium, Hector has singled him out and subjected him to brutal sexual abuse; the first story arc deals mostly with his friends' attempts to make Asgard believe this and save him. Nessiah is intensely dependent on Milanor, and fell in love with him early on; he's in a threesome/love triangle with Milanor and Kylier that has alternately bolstered and deteriorated his sanity.Eventually, due to his own deep insecurities in his relationship with Milanor and an escalation of Hector's abuse, Nessiah's mind broke and he went on a rampage, destroying large sections of one of the school buildings. It fell to Milanor to try to talk him down, and once the crisis was over, get a statement out of him about Hector's abuse. Since then, Nessiah has been hospitalized and under a heavy drug cocktail to allow his mind to recover from the trauma.Over the months that followed, Milanor's constant care managed to help him mostly out of his catatonic state, although he's still on about four drugs and has a lot of trouble speaking clearly. A lot of his psychological issues are still present, and hearing that Hector would be coming back sent him into a relapse.Currently, he's been brought out of his Angst Coma, which he has revealed was spent going through a Mental World of his canon selves' kakera (It's a Long Story). This has helped him to realize that his relationship with Milanor is very unhealthy, and that he wants to change and be stronger.Tropes associated with Nessiah:
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Angst Coma: For the past several months.
- Anguished Declaration of Love
- Break the Cutie: His backstory up until his selection by Hector to enter the school.
- Trauma Conga Line: Everything that happened afterward. Seriously.
- Cast From HP: The Chains of Conviction do this to him if he expends more power than they normally allow.
- Clingy Jealous Boy: Not that his circumstances (or Kylier) have helped with this.
- Conveniently an Orphan: His parents died when he was a baby, so he doesn't remember them at all and has spent his entire life up until now in an orphanage, then a boarding school in Asgard.
- Cute Mute: After his long hospitalization. He's getting better.
- Department of Child Disservices: Oh, gods, Nessa, poor Nessa...
- Driven to Suicide
- Dumb Struck
- Empty Shell: At the start of the "Surfacing" arc.
- Fragile Flower: His circumstances have conspired to make him a bit high-strung, and even after months of one-on-one care from Milanor, it's still incredibly easy to distress him.
- Hates Being Touched: He's getting better. Slowly, but steadily.
- Hikikomori: He's developed a number of the major characteristics—he almost never leaves his and Milanor's room alone, and has a tendency to become nervous or panic outright when Milanor isn't with him. That, and he's been shut up like that for about half a year now, which isn't helping. Fear of being forced back into normal life after becoming so dependent on Milanor is implied to be a psychological block keeping him from being able to speak properly.
- I Am Who?
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Image Song: Precious Illusions
- The Immodest Orgasm: Not to say that Nessiah has ever been silent during sex, but that last incident? Suffice to say he and Milanor were lucky everyone else was off partying.
- Insecure Love Interest
- Laughing Mad
- Locked Out of the Loop: Concerning Hector coming back, more for the sake of his sanity than anything else. Predictably, this turns out to have been a bad idea.
- Luminescent Blush: He's the main offender when it comes to this trope, but not the only one in the Collegium.
- Mental World: The phantasmagoria (which was one very large Room Full of Crazy) and his visit to the Sea of Kakera.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Apparently he's thought about it.
- Power Limiter: His chains of conviction cause him pain when he uses his powers beyond the acceptable limits established.
- Sanity Slippage: The Phantasmagoria. Oooh, gods, the Phantasmagoria...
- Security Blanket: The Revelation of the Gods, which he carries with him absolutely everywhere; if for whatever reason he's separated from it, he tends to be a lot more anxious than normal.
- Shock and Awe
- Shrinking Violet: Justified; due to a combination of crippling shyness, very bad experiences interacting with others, and half-recovered aphasia, Nessiah tends to be nervous and quiet around people he doesn't know or trust.
- Sorry I Fell on Your Fist
- Squishy Wizard
- Throw the Dog a Bone: And after all the hell he's been through since the beginning of the story, he deserves a little quality time with Milanor that won't go horribly awry.
- Tsundere / Yandere: Don't ask how he can be both at the same time. We don't know either.
- They alternate, usually.
- Vapor Wear: He has non-sexual reasons for it, though—he can't bear the feeling of tight clothing because of his negative self-image, among other things. Underwear is out as a matter of course.
- Verbal Tic: "Mii..."
- When She Smiles: Recently stated outright by Milanor.
- Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?: He's badly achluophobic. Knowing that he's terrified of the dark, Hector has left him in it a lot. This has not helped.
MilanorA thief sent to Apocrypha to get some formal education. He's on a three-way relationship with Nessiah, whom he affectionately calls Nessa, and his girlfriend Kylier. The experience in the Collegium is turning out to be a lot more enlightening than he had expected.He's played a major role in Nessiah's plot virtually from day one, making him something of a secondary protagonist.One of many who wants Hector's head on a silver plate.Tropes associated with Milanor:
- Anguished Declaration of Love: During his face-off with Nessiah, echoing a previous scene.
- Beta Couple: With Kylier.
- The Care Taker
- Character Development: In spades.
- The Chew Toy: A rather mild example. He mostly takes it in stride, anyway.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Failed a Spot Check: This happened somewhere between twenty to thirty feet away from him, and he was too absorbed in training to notice a second of it. Even when it really would have helped Nessiah if he had.
- Idiot Hero: There's no denying the fact Milanor's a bit thick.
- Image Song: No Reason
- Improbable Weapon User: As per canon, Milanor uses his Silver Moon blade, which seems to be a hacked-up scythe blade he uses as an axe.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Well, he IS a thief. Circumstances have limited his sticky fingers for quite a while now, however.
- Knife Nut: It was recently revealed Milanor carries a homemade butterfly knife, and is capable of opening and closing it with one hand.
- Malaproper: NARKYLEPS!
- Although since it's due to his illiteracy, he's been getting a bit better about it lately.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Luckily, he managed to clear things up to Meria before she really had a chance to beat him up.
- Official Couple: With Nessiah! ...And Kylier.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: His mun is Australian, which sometimes slips in-character. One memorable moment was when he used the term Kangaroo Court to define the judicial system of Asgard... But there are no Kangaroos in Asgard!
- Panty Thief: One of his pastimes early on. Now, due to lack of time and growing out of it, he no longer does it, but he is still looked at with evil eyes by many of the school's females.
- Suddenly Sexuality: Averted. Realizing he was bi (rather than striaght as he previously thought) plays merry hell with head, causing ongoing strife in his relationships.
- Triang Relations: With Kylier and Nessiah. Too complicated to further classify, and it's just getting worse.
- Would Hit a Girl
Kylier SchofieldMilanor's girlfriend and source of emotional support. Their relationship has its ups and downs, but overall, they mix quite well. She's also technically part of the threesome with Nessiah, but they've still got a lot of issues to work out.She's been part of Nessiah's plot as long as Milanor has, but her role has shifted wildly as events played out.She frequently conjures up potential fates for the headmaster, many of which are particularly off-colour.Tropes relating to Kylier inclide:
- Beta Couple: With Milanor.
- Character Development: Some. Kylier is aware that there are problems with the way she handles things (especially Nessiah) and since his mental breakdown has been actively trying to change. Lately she's been Milanor's greatest source of support.
- Covert Pervert: At least concerning her newly-developed interest in Milanor and Nessiah's activities.
- Image Song: Over the Light
- Interspecies Romance: With Nessiah.
- The Millstone: She's resolved several times to change this aspect of herself. Recently, this actually seems to be working.
- Mind Rape: Early in the story, she damaged Nessiah's fragile sanity very badly by accident. The two of them are still trying to work through the fallout.
- Not So Different: Red Sage and her have many things in common. Even though Sage is not a villain. Or is she?
- Oneesama: The Red Sage became platonically infatuated with her right after they first met. This promises to be great fun.
- Only Sane Man: As of late, anyway. Yeah, we're all doomed.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Considering her mun is also Milanor's mun, it seems logical that she, too, speaks with an Australian accent from time to time. Also makes sense in-character because both she and Milanor are Vanir.
- Surrogate Soliloquy: At one point, she sorts out her feelings towards Nessiah but talking it over to her griffon, Al.
Ledah RozwelliPresident of the Student Council, and essentially Ursula's second-in-command. As such, he's often found struggling under the weight of any paperwork she can't get to. Ledah has been at the school for most of his life—he was originally brought here as much to get him out of the custody of his Abusive Parents as his own potential. Unfortunately for him, Hector took an interest in him around when he hit puberty, and so he's been abused on and off for years.The end result is the introverted, socially awkward, serious Ledah of the present day. When Hector's abuse of Nessiah started escalating, Ledah first attempted to protect Nessiah and the other students involved, then worked as Ursula's spy to gather incriminating evidence for their case.Now that Hector is dealing with the courts, Ledah should have been given an opportunity to relax, but his "free time" is mostly spent trying to keep his friend Meria out of trouble nowadays. And although his childhood friend Ein has recently transferred in, Ein's amnesia is making things very awkward between them, leaving Ledah rather bereft of support.Tropes associated with Ledah:
- Abusive Parents
- Anger Born of Worry
- Asexuality: Technically, he's bisexual, but due to past experiences, he can't bear insinuations of any kind.
- Cartwright Curse: He's lost most of the people he tries to rely on, whether through necessary separation or character drops. This has not helped his introversion in the least.
- Extreme Doormat: This is lampshaded by Meria in one of her conversations with Aegina.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend
- Image Song: One Last Breath
- Odd Couple: With Meria.
- The Promise: When he and Ein were separated as children, Ein swore to him that they would meet again someday.
- Quizzical Tilt
- Rape as Backstory: He's another one of Hector's victims, although at the start of the story Hector hasn't touched him for six months.
- Shrinking Violet: Believe it or not.
- The Stoic
- Student Council President
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Super OCD
- What Is This Feeling? / What Is This Thing You Call Love?
FiaA girl from Riviera who's had trouble controlling her powers. She eventually discovers that, all along, a demon has been possessing her. Because of this, her body has been trying to destroy the demon through the involuntary use of her magic. Luckily, the demon and Meria are there to help bail her out. Now only if they'd find some way to carry on their relationship without having Fia so...personally involved.Fia herself has had very little time to do anything except look for ways to solve her own life-threatening problems. Now that she no longer has to worry about dying, she's fueled all that nervous energy into looking after Meria.Tropes associated with Fia:
- Beware the Nice Ones: As a result of many of the following tropes combined, she loses her temper horribly. She's gotten better at hiding it, though.
- Blessed with Suck
- Butt-Monkey: Now that her life's no longer in danger, she's starting to shift from The Woobie to one of these.
- Break the Cutie: She gets dangerously close to snapping at a few points, but she manages to weather it out.
- Cannot Spit It Out: In this thread especially, Fia's demon has to say everything for her.
- Demonic Possession
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: The whole thing with Meria and her demon has made her kind of nervous about her sexuality, let's just say.
- Healing Hands
- Holy Hand Grenade: Despite being a healer, Fia has developed extremely powerful holy magic that takes a few different forms.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- I Shall Taunt You: Fia taunts her demon to annoy him because she feels frustrated and helpless, though at the time she has a really, really good reason to be. [[supersecretspoiler:More specifically, he's having sex in her body, and she has no idea how to deal with it.]]
- I'm Having Soul Pains: During the exorcism, in which she literally rips her soul open. Not that it stops her from feeling physical pain, either, though.
- Image Song: Rainbow
- Loves My Alter Ego: With Meria.
- The Medic
- Mental World: For a short period of time, Fia forces the demon to take over her body, locking herself into her own mental world. Meria later jokes to herself about it after realizing Fia's displeasure at her and the demon's lengthy kiss.
- Moment Killer: She's become prone to causing lots of them for Meria and her demon, for various reasons. Oh, Fia.
- Power Limiter: Remember Fia's bracelets? No? Similar to Nessiah's much larger Chains of Conviction, they were used to restrict her magic after her powers had gone out of control once. Then the demon took them off for her.
- Sharing a Body: With her demon, at least until he left. Despite being separated, they still share memories from time to time.
- Suddenly Sexuality: Due to her highly Situational Sexuality, she's much less assured she's straight. The fact that she occasionally gives her body away so the demon can make out with Meria can't help.
- Supernatural Angst
- Technical Virgin
- Weirdness Magnet
- White Magic: The horrible subversion is, although her magic is there for a good reason, her powers are difficult to control, and actually endangered her own life for a long time.
- They still do, on occasion.
SethUrsula's younger sister and quite the troublemaker, Seth is a (usually) lively girl with an unfortunate penchant for blowing things up, and a unique brand of magic that allows her to do so whenever she likes. She was sent to Apocrypha by her wealthy foster parents, hoping some discipline would make her a little less expensive to keep around. Being at the school has proven to be a very eye-opening experience with her.Tropes associated with Seth include:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: She has a solo log to this effect. It's plot-relevant, as being comfortable with her own body again marks a significant step in sorting her head out after ignorantly cheating on Meria.
- Cast From HP: Her powers are a variation in that the energy she uses to power them also keeps her alive. In other words, if she runs out of energy, she will die. And if the Dept. Heaven canon is to be believed here, Ursula will die with her. Maybe.
- Genki Girl: Ordinarily.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Being on the recieving end of one from Monica was what finally brought her completely out of a long-lived series of bluescreens.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Poor girl seems rather prone to the things.
- Image Song: Further
- Interspecies Romance: She had a (short-lived) one with Meria, complete with Heroic B.S.O.D. when she realized that she had cheated on her.
- There are a few hints of another brewing with Serene, too.
- Le Parkour: Her preferred pastime.
- Mundane Utility: Seth can vaporize, cut, shatter, or melt just about anything with little more than a thought. At one point she uses this to get free items out of a vending machine while making it look like a mundane mechanical fault. The ease with which she does this suggests it isn't the first time she's tried.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Realizing she's just cheated on Meria causes her to lock up for quite a while.
- No-Sell: Her defensive technique is to nullify spells before they can actually have any effect.
- Not Good with People / No Social Skills: Having been brought up in "the back end of nowhere" populated by Asgardian aristocrats, Seth has very little experience interating with people her own age. It shows.
- Person of Mass Destruction: When Seth thinks about something blowing up, that something BLOWS UP.
- Due to the devastating and easily lethal potential of the power she weilds, Seth has a very strict code of morals about what she will and won't use her powers on. This is starting to cause more problems than it prevents.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She's apparently taken to keeping her phone down the front of her leotard.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: After accidentally cheating on Meria Seth hasn't really been able to catch a break - as soon as things start looking up, something else unpleasant happens to her.
- A recent change in mindset has allowed her to finally get an upward streak going.
Monica HauteclareAn ordinary village girl from the Bronquian village of Bardot. She came to the Collegium on a scholarship. Because her country was under enemy occupation for most of her life, she has a lot of sympathy for anyone who's experienced prejudice or oppression. Just before she came to the school, the old Emperor was overthrown and the Fantasinian army kicked out of the country by new emperor Gulcasa and his army; Monica idolizes them and wants to be a hero like they are. Now that she's at the Collegium, she's studying hard at every subject she thinks is necessary for becoming one.Ever since Monica was a little girl, she's always heard godly voices—although not many people seem to know about this aside from her childhood friend Canaan and a handful of people she's told since her arrival.So far, most of her time has been spent making friends with just about everybody she meets and brightslapping Seth out of her bluescreens. However, recently Monica uncovered the magic sword Joyeuse in a chapel on the school's grounds, after being prodded to search there for months by the gods. What would she need that for?Tropes associated with Monica:
- The Call Put Me On Hold
- The Chosen One
- Hearing Voices: She hears the voices of the gods. Does This Remind You Of Anything?
- I Just Want to Be Special
- Fantastic Racism: Because she's Bronquian and has experienced racism, she's rather intolerant of it in general and sympathetic towards those who have suffered under it. However, she herself seems to harbor some slight prejudice against Fantasinia...
- Fiery Redhead
- Flanderization: In the original Dept. Heaven canon, she was a minor character who died on the very stage she appeared, and was loosely based on historical French heroine Jeanne d'Arc. It gets played up a bit more in this work.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: She's done this to both Nessiah and Seth to date.
- Image Song: Extraordinary and La Pucelle de la Flamme
- Jeanne d'Archétype
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": After working her tail off since her enrollment, Monica's skills are nothing to sneeze at, but she still looks upon members of the Imperial Army with complete hero worship.
- Love Freak: And she's actually starting to become a full-fledged Jesus.
- Magnetic Hero
- Meaningful Name: Like Joyeuse, "Hauteclare" is the name of an actual sword claimed to have magical properties. (Back before it was decided that Joyeuse was going to be called Joyeuse, Hauteclare was another candidate for the name. Her player liked it, so it was adopted as Monica's surname instead.)
- Purple Eyes
- Sempai/Kohai: The Red Sage has declared Monica to be her Sempai, because of her awesome charisma and the fact that she didn't treat her in a racist way.
- Also takes the kohai role to Aegina's sempai.
- Shipper on Deck
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Towards Gulcasa.
- Sword of Plot Advancement: Joyeuse. She still doesn't know how the sword works, though.
MeriaA strange angelic mercenary who was shunted to the school as a last resort by her family. Meria's family are well-off nobility in Asgard, and she and her three older sisters were put under a great deal of pressure by them to become upstanding members of society. Because Meria was born without wings, she decided that as she'd never fit in anyway, she'd rather give the establishment the finger and do whatever the hell she wanted. She has a very bad relationship with her parents and her oldest sister Marietta, and grew up mostly friendless except for Nessiah and her sisters Melissa and Maria... sort of. At sixteen, she left Asgard and spent her time wandering various human worlds in search of "her place in the world".Upon entering the school, she stumbled immediately into Nessiah's issues and wound up friends with Ledah, Fia, and her demon, and started hitting on Seth. As Seth was receptive to her advances, the two of them entered a relationship. However, it didn't last too long—the very day after they first slept together, Seth was caught making out with Cierra. The shock sent Meria into something of a downward spiral, shaking her cheerful facade badly and exposing some of her own deep-seated issues.In an effort to avoid having to deal with her own problems, Meria threw herself into making sure Nessiah was being cared for properly, nagging Ledah to go have some fun, and protecting Fia and her demon. This was too much for her frail constitution, and landed her in the school infirmary. She seemed to be doing better for a while, and was enjoying a relationship with Fia's demon, even though she knew he would be leaving, but as of late she seems to be slowly cracking under the stress.Recently, she volunteered to assume point in the sting operation to take down Hector, despite knowing that she would risk being raped or severely injured in the process.Tropes associated with Meria:
- A-Cup Angst: She's not really flat, but she's the smallest-chested among her sisters, especially the two eldest. She may resent them a bit for this.
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Badass Longcoat
- Beleaguered Childhood Friend: Nessiah? Hector did WHAT to you? ...It's now time for things to DIE.
- Bi the Way / Depraved Bisexual: She plays up the latter to tease people.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Ledah claims that she would be one of the top students in the school if she actually gave a damn about her classes. But she doesn't, and is nearly failing school because of it.
- Broken Smile: Has started to display one quite a bit lately.
- Bully Hunter: When she was younger. Still is one where her friends are concerned.
- Cartwright Curse: None of her romantic/sexual relationships have ever lasted.
- Cast From HP: Her strongest combat abilities are flashy, but exhausting... This is actually loyal to the gameplay of Knights in the Nightmare.
- Cluster F-Bomb: When she gets really, really pissed off. Triggers together with other things.
- Combat Stilettos: They're part of her armor.
- Kick Chick: And she actually does use them in combat.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Went as Beatrice at the Samhain event. Got in character. Did the voice. And the laugh. And Squeed when she found Fia there as Battler—harder when she got the demon playing along.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Drowning My Sorrows: What she does to deal after Seth cheats on her.
- Extreme Mêlée Revenge: What she attempts to do to Milanor when he's Mistaken for Cheating on Nessiah.
- Failure Knight: How she's started to see herself.
- Good Bad Girl
- Greater Need Than Mine: Other people in the school are having quite tragic issues, so this may be true. Then again, maybe not.
- Hollywood Tourette's: When she's in a bad mood.
- Image Song: Hoshikuzu
- Interrupted Suicide: Which scared poor Ledah half to death.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Love Confession: To the demon. You could probably see it coming from miles, though.
- Meta Guy: She invokes so many tropes, it's a miracle she hasn't touched the fourth wall yet.
- She's already considered it.
- No Periods, Period: Since Real Life Writes the Plot sometimes, this is oh-so-viciously-averted.
- Odd Couple: With Ledah. 'Nuff said. No, its okay if you don't think too hard about it.
- Power Gives You Wings
- Stepford Smiler
- Tsungire: She puts up a tough and snarky front in front of everyone, but if you know what buttons to push, it's not hard to get her to flail around and go all deredere.
- Vapor Wear: If she's in the right mood, she does not wear anything under her favorite trenchcoat other than pants.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Exactly the same.
EinCharacter who was active for a day, dropped for some time, and recently picked up again. Not much is known about where he came from, not helped by him having no memory of anything before waking at the school.As inadvertently revealed by Monica's research into her sword, Ein is a Grim Angel; upon learning this, he regained the memory of how he lost his wings. Which promptly gave him terrible nightmares and a stubborn case of insomnia.Tropes associated with Ein:
- Bad Dreams
- The Chosen One: Quite likely.
- The Fettered
- Lampshade Hanging: On the logic (or lack thereof) of Nietzsche being able to handle things like stairs and human-accessible toilets.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Possibly overlapping with Trauma-Induced Amnesia, at least as far as the loss of his wings goes.
- Naïve Newcomer
- Oblivious to Love: Though, really, the fact that Ledah doesn't have much idea what's going on either can't help.
- The Promise
- Put on a Bus: His new mun has explained his long absence as having lapsed into a light coma. Considering what else has been going on at Apocrypha, this going unremarked is entirely plausible.
- UST: Heaps of it with Monica, and quite a bit with Ledah too.
Aegina Eine ArtwaltzA Bronquian military officer. She came to the Collegium expecting to meet with Gulcasa and Eudy, but seems to be having trouble finding them... She serves as Ledah's assistant, and because of her work ethic, often finds herself with too much free time and too little to do.Tropes associated with Aegina:
- Long-Lost Relative: To Yggdra.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Royal Rapier
- Sempai/Kohai: With Monica. Seth has started to look up to her as well.
- Serious Business: Most things. Got to be rather amusing when she was facing eating ice cream with this attitude.
- Sidekick: To Ledah.
Roswell BranthèseThe latest individual to ascend the role of leadership of the powerful House of the Black Rose. Above all, Roswell has an eye for two things: magical knowledge and power, which often seem to be synonymous to him. Hoping to increase both, Roswell enrolled into Apocrypha, temporarily leaving his rule over the Branthèse house in the capable hands of other members of his family. The reasons for his fervent pursuit of knowledge are currently unknown, but it could be presumed to have to do with the fact that, as someone capable of bringing the dead to life, he constantly has the attention of others set on him. Not one to disappoint, Roswell spends a fair bit of his time in school studying in his attempts to not fall behind his cousin, Rosary of the Esmeralda house.Tropes associated with Roswell:
- Magi Babble
- Measuring the Marigolds
- The Rival: To Rosary.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- Squishy Wizard
VienyaA young girl from the island of Aventheim. Despite the fact that she's one of the Lemonoug, she received a scholarship to attend the school due to her advanced skills in magic. Vienya grew up in extreme poverty, like all of her people, and when she was a little girl, her parents were killed by one of the king's knights, leading to her hatred for the ruling body of the land. Ever since then, she's refused to speak; not even her caretakers have been able to get through the mental block that keeps her from being able to.Vienya has mostly stayed in the periphery of the Collegium since she arrived, although she has made a few friends. She can usually be found eating, and seems to be enjoying the easily available food quite a lot. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to have too much luck with the vending machines... She usually communicates by emoting, but if she needs words, she resorts to writing or communicating through her crow Familiar. Vienya is severely malnourished, and eats as much as she does because it's been ingrained in her that she can't ever pass up an opportunity to eat if she wants to survive.Tropes associated with Vienya:
- Blinding Bangs
- Child Mage
- Cute Witch
- Dumb Struck
- Head Pet: Her Familiar, Moja.
- Image Song: Little March (the music box version, at least for now)
- Kleptomaniac Hero: She pickpocketed people for her own survival at home, and it's still a bad habit. She once successfully pickpocketed Milanor, although he realized what had happened pretty quickly.
- Running Gag: The school's vending machines hate the poor girl.
- The Speechless
- Tastes Like Friendship: She tends to automatically trust people that feed her (or aid her in her war against the vending machines). As she gets used to having food easily available, this may start to wear off a bit.
- Token Mini-Moe
The Red SageThe daughter of a pair of demons that were given sentience by Zolgonark after a long while of doing dirty work for Utgard. She didn't want to be a cannon fodder demon like her parents and brother, so she trained hard to become stronger, until one of the Accursed 'noticed potential in her', and pulled strings to get her in the Collegium.The Accursed that sent her to Apocrypha may actually have an undercover agenda related to her, but then again, it could all be a mere coincidence, mixed with excessive paranoia. It is too early to be sure.Tropes associated with the Red Sage:
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Fantastic Racism: Many of the ever-present NPC students of Caelum look at her with derision, and apparently she's the only demon in the school (Other than Fia's demon, whom she doesn't know yet). Only time will tell if this trope is also invoked with one or more of the PCs.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She is easily angered by racist people! And organ music, and people who break the rules, and slippery floors, and angels, and grossly outdated maps...
- Malaproper: Occasionally intentional, and occasionally a case of Real Life Writes the Plot (as her player isn't a native English speaker). Still has amusing results, either way.
- The Mole / Red Herring Mole: It is way too early to see which of these two Sage really is, but it is hinted that she may be The Unwitting Pawn of the Accursed who put her in the Collegium. Or is she?
- Oneesama: Since she and Kylier have more things in common than it would seem at first sight, Sage is feeling some (exclusively platonic) infatuation toward her.
- Pride: Her Fatal Flaw. This and her bratty attitude tend to get her in trouble.
- Sempai/Kohai: She's starting to feel this way towards Monica... Because she's awesome, and she, too, wants to be awesome!
- Spell My Name with a "The"
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: No one is planning a demonic invasion of the school! I swear!
- Not even the most Genre Blind of characters could have misinterpreted that. Nice try, though.
- Token Mini-Moe: She shares this title with Vienya and Nietzsche.
NietzscheA young Undine from the kingdom of Embellia, Nietzsche's parents disappeared when she was at a young age. This resulted in her sister being forced to help raise Nietzsche, putting much stress on the older sibling. One day, her sister suddenly vanished, leaving Nietzsche to be placed in a state-funded orphanage. After seeing Nietzsche, one of the caretakers took a liking to her and decided that the girl needed a better place than where she was, and successfully appealed a case to give Nietzsche a fully scholarship to Apocrypha - under the condition that she uses the knowledge she gains at the school to support the country. Currently, Nietzsche isn't sure what to study as her primary field, but she does know that she wants to one day set out and reunite with her sister, with whom she believes she can live happily ever after with... if she can just find her.Tropes associated with Nietzsche:
- Bad Dreams: Which may or may not be plot significant; it's a bit early to tell.
- Our Mermaids Are Different
- Parental Abandonment: Her sister, who was her primary caretaker, abandoned her years ago for reasons unknown.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: She wields these against Ledah, to great effect.
- Third-Person Person
- Token Mini-Moe
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Variation—she keeps her cellphone under her bikini strap.
Rosary EsmeraldaA member of the wealthy Esmeralda house in Verlaine, Rosary had always been expected to surpass her cousin Roswell from the Branthèse house. When she heard about Apocrypha, she used the excuse that she could become a lot stronger than Roswell if she enrolled there. The truth is, though, Rosary was fed up having to live up to everyone's expectations, and wanted to get away from them and have her own freedom. Fortunately for her, it was decided that she would be enrolled there, and she began almost immediately after enrollment.Tropes associated with Rosary:
SereneHaving lived on Rosalina Island for a long time with her fellow Arcs and friends, Serene lived a happy and exciting life. Most of the excitement came from slaying demons that roamed Lacrima Castle every now and then, but Serene soon grew bored of slaying the same wimps all the time without gaining anything from it. She wanted to grow stronger, so that she could protect those close to her. When she heard of Apocrypha, Serene became ecstatic about going, but realized she had little to no money. Thankfully, the demons she had slain over time had all sorts of spoils and the occasional cash that she could use to get into Apocrypha. Within due time, Serene managed to get herself enrolled in the Collegium, where she now resides.Tropes associated with Serene:
- Book Dumb
- Nice Hat
- Virginity Makes You Stupid: Seth once hung a lampshade on the sexual activities of the threesome by complaining to her about the hell that is being forced to clean the sheets. It seems to have gone far, far over Serene's head.
- Winged Humanoid
Yggdra Yuril ArtwaltzThe young princess of Fantasinia, who was sent to the school to help further her education. Yggdra was instructed by her father to try to keep her status a secret, although she occasionally has trouble doing so due to the fact that he made her take the Gran Centurio along with her. Yggdra is gentle and kindhearted, if rather naive about the realities of the world around her. She is friends with Milanor, Kylier, and Nessiah, among others.She's spent the past several months buried under work, so much so that she missed out on quite a bit of the plot—however, she seems to be back now.Tropes associated with Yggdra:
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Friend to All Living Things: Or nearly.
- The Heart
- Image Song: Hands
- The Ingenue: Though she does have technical knowledge of many things she comes off as ignorant of.
- Long-Lost Relative: To Aegina, although she has no idea.
- Put on a Bus:
Her player lost her Yggdra Union muse, so Yggdra is on extended hiatus until her player wants to pick her up again/someone else is willing to take over.
- Yggdra has now returned to the world of the living!
- Spoiled Sweet
- Virginity Makes You Stupid
DurantA knight of the Fantasinian army sent by Yggdra's father to be her bodyguard. During his time at the school, he became a junior member of the Student Council. He seems to lose track of Yggdra rather often, unfortunately for him.Tropes associated with Durant:
- Bodyguard Crush: Quite possibly.
- Knight in Shining Armor
- Put on a Bus: Although he's coming back.
- Satellite Character
- Secret Keeper: Concerning Yggdra's identity.
CierraA witch who came to the school from Riviera, and spent much of her time messing her magic up out of class, but performing it well enough when it counted. She had many friends, but wound up at the center of some controversy when she wound up in a liplock with Seth after the latter slept with Meria. Most of her former friends are not impressed with the way she vanished shortly afterward, leaving Seth to deal with the fallout alone.Cierra apparently returned home so suddenly because of a death in the family, but has since returned to school.Tropes associated with Cierra:
- Cute Witch
- The Ditz
- Put on a Bus: She seems to be back now!
- Magic Misfire
- Never Live It Down: An in-universe example—because she was Put on a Bus directly after her liplock and near-sexual encounter with Seth, a lot of other characters resent her or blame her for the incident.
- Say It with Hearts
MariettaThe eldest of Maria and Meria's sisters and a Guardian Angel, Marietta ran into some trouble on the job, and sought asylum at the Collegium. She's currently trying to come up with some plan that will solve her problems. In the meantime, she tends to make herself as inconspicuous as possible.
- Aloof Big Sister: To Maria and Meria.
- Fallen Angel: She barely avoided becoming one, and still risks it if she fails to regain her standing in Asgard.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Averted. Marietta wears clothes to avoid drawing attention to herself—though she typically goes completely naked, apart from some accessories and conveniently placed wings.
- Pride Before a Fall
PamelaCute Witch with a penchant for Undines; supposedly, finding their Transmimagram will grant her eternal life somehow. Also, a bit off her rocker.Tropes associated with Pamela:
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Up to freaking Twenty Two.
- The Ditz
- Bi the Way: Pamela appears to have something for Roswell and Cierra.
- Pride: In spades, going so far as to call herself The Great Pamela.
- What Exactly Is A Mystic Witch
- For Science!: She's thought about dissecting an Undine that's still alive. Thank the gods Pamela hasn't gotten any Undines on the cutting table yet.
- Third-Person Person
- Medium Awareness: Pamela seems to adore this trope.
- No Fourth Wall
- Wrong Genre Savvy: She bases her "logic" off of what she's experienced in video games. Normally, this would work, as the Dept. Heaven continuity is a bunch of video games. But this is a role playing game, NOT a video game, so Pamela's logic falls flat on its face.
UrsulaOne of the two headmasters of the Collegium Caelum. She hails from Riviera, the Promised Land, and is seen as a demigoddess by the Sprites. Ursula oversees Collegia Gladiara and Collegia Medicans, and cares deeply for all of her students—particularly Ledah, who she perceives as a son. Ursula is gifted with extraordinary healing abilities, and while she doesn't quite have the same standing in Asgard that Hector does, she'll go to any lengths to protect those she loves, even if it means defying the Magi.Since Hector was suspended under suspicion of child abuse, Ursula has been struggling to deal with twice the amount of work, and has reluctantly wound up making Ledah deal with a lot of it.Upon Hector's return, she has been demoted to deputy headmistress, but has organized a sting operation to get Hector off the island for good.Tropes associated with Ursula:
- Eccentric Mentor
- Friend to All Living Things
- Healing Hands
- Parental Substitute: To Ledah.
- Physical God: Demigod, at least.
- Team Mom
HectorThe other headmaster of the Collegium, and one of the seven Magi of Asgard. Ordinarily, Hector would be supervising Collegia Maga and Collegia Scholastica, but because he's currently in Asgard undergoing a trial on suspicion of child abuse, those responsibilities lie with Ursula now.Hector is a very cold individual who only seems to care about himself and his own pleasures. He is known to have sexually abused both Nessiah and Ledah, and seems to have at least sexually harassed Malice, as well; he's suspected to have abused many other students over his many years as headmaster. Despite this, he doesn't seem to fear much for what should happen to him if this is discovered; although his trial was held, his influence and the fact that his following pressured the courts allowed him to come back to the Collegium, where he currently has full power.He is currently targeting Marietta.Tropes associated with Hector:
- Big Bad: It is quite obvious, since he was also the Big Bad in the original Dept. Heaven canon.
- Manipulative Bastard
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: There was one particular incident where he invoked this trope by going out of his way to make Nessiah orgasm during an assault, pretty much just to mess with his head. It didn't end well.
- Rape as Drama
- Villain with Good Publicity: He's one of the Seven Magi of Asgard. And he has an entire corrupt judicial system backing him to make sure he doesn't end up in jail for the rest of his existence for what he's done.
All of the AccursedSubordinates of Zolgonark, the god of the demon world. They'll be participating in a future mystery plot.Tropes associated with the Accursed:
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Of sorts.
Inactive CharactersMembers of the cast who no longer participate in the story, usually because they've been dropped by their players.
Fia's demon (Fell)The demon that possessed Fia. He appears to be somewhat cultured for a consciousness with no body to speak of, and thinks himself higher than his fellow Legions of Hell. He was in a relationship with Meria, and appears to have enjoyed it immensely. After much tribulation, Fia was able to release him safely; before he actually left, however, he requested that Meria name him so that they would be able to find each other again.Tropes associated with the demon:
- But Now I Must Go
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: He would probably really enjoy it, though. [[supersecretspoiler:Then again, maybe he can get away with it.]]
- The Charmer
- Feel No Pain: One of a handful reasons for his temporary Split-Personality Takeover.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Hey, You!
- Gentleman Snarker
- Got Me Doing It: This thread.
- Interspecies Romance: With Meria.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies
- Ostentatious Secret: His name. [[supersecretspoiler:It appears that he actually didn't have one.]]
- Pre-Climax Climax: Pretty much the whole point of that scene.
- Sharing a Body
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Meria. He went into the relationship knowing that it wouldn't last, but apparently believed that trying to fix some of Meria's self-confidence issues would be worth it.
- The Tease
- Vague Age: Not that it would matter, but there is literally no way to tell his age.
EudyOne of Gulcasa's retainers, and the head librarian. Eudy enjoys setting things on fire and slacking off, but she's also more than happy to take care of students in need, and is particularly affectionate towards Ledah, who she made friends with and seems to feel responsible for.Eudy may have been sent to the Collegium in order to help protect Gulcasa, and wherever he went, she's probably there with him.Tropes associated with Eudy:
- Cool Big Sis
- Image Song: Ruby Shoes
- Put on a Bus: Her player seems to be on extended leave from the Internet, and no one knows where she is right now.
Malice RuctorThe last member of a noble angelic line, and one member of the Student Council. She's noted for being incredibly difficult to deal with, and seems to have decided that Ledah is her rival. (Ledah seems unsure how to deal with this.) It's implied that she was at least molested by Hector in the past, but she's very devoted to him and extremely uncomfortable with anything to do with Nessiah's woes.Currently, Malice is at home, taking care of some family and personal business.Tropes associated with Malice:
- An Axe to Grind
- Can't Stand Them, Can't Live Without Them: With Ledah.
- Image Song: Kiwoku
- Ostentatious Secret: Just how badly Hector may or may not have treated her.
- Molestation As Backstory: Although we don't know just how severe it was, Hector did harass her.
- Put on a Bus
- Stockholm Syndrome
CanaanMonica's childhood friend, he arrived at the school before her, and didn't experience the Bronquian revolution as a result. He knows about the godly voices Monica hears. If he's still at the school, he's been making himself scarce of late.Tropes associated with Canaan:
MariaMeria's fraternal twin sister and Nessiah's childhood friend. Like Meria, she left Asgard and had her own particular experiences on other worlds, but she's less willing to talk about them. She may still be somewhere or other around the school.Tropes associated with Maria:
GulcasaThe newly-crowned Emperor of Bronquia, sent to the school both to pick up skills necessary for ruling and to keep him out of the way of those unhappy with his rule until the political situation quiets down a bit in Bronquia. Aegina and Eudy may have been sent to keep an eye on him. Monica has a crush on him. He's probably lurking around in the periphery somewhere.Tropes associated with Gulcasa:
- Put on a Bus
- Real Men Wear Pink: His first appearance had him sitting in the library looking up new cookie recipes he could try out on his sisters.
- Satellite Character
MistelThe new tactics teacher, granddaughter of a famous strategist in Fantasinia. She's rather eccentric.Tropes associated with Mistel: