open/close all folders
Screw Destiny only serve to drag him further down the path of evil. He's attracted a small harem of followers, ranging from a robotic private detective to a young fanboy, who all have their own reasons for wanting to see whether or not Akuto will become the next Demon King.
- Accidental Pervert: He gets into perverted situations and usually faces the wrath of other students, particularly Junko.
- Anti Anti Christ: He is sometimes a borderline Deconstructive Parody of this.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Akuto tries to use his powers for good purposes, but they either backfire, such as when he tried to zap a demon to stop it, which then made it stronger, or people radically misinterpret it as him using it for evil, such as when he's using his power to protect Hiroshi from some thugs, only to have Junko show up late and assume he was abusing his power.
- Brutal Honesty: Downplayed in the manga and the anime, but in the novels, he really has no problems with telling people such as Fujiko exactly what he thinks about them.
- Cassandra Truth: Being a constant victim of Abomination Accusation Attack causes this to him.
- Close-Call Haircut: Courtesy of Junko in episode 3. Subverted when it's shown that he didn't completely avoid the strike and got a small cut near his eye.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Has powers that can be used for untold evil, yet still has a strong sense of justice.
- Dark Messiah: Only technically, though. He simply has powers that are stereotypical for an evil-doer.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Well, after his first time using it he is aware of how ridiculously powerful he is, but he nevertheless has serious trouble controlling it.
- Dragon Rider: Once Peterhausen joins him and becomes Akuto's primary mode of transport during the final arc.
- First Kiss: With Lily.
- Flat-Earth Atheist: The Anti Anti Christ being this is... ironic to say the least.
- Guyliner: His long red markings below his eyes are his most notable change to his appearance whenever his powers are active.
- Healing Factor: Can recover most of his injuries at impressive speed.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Accused of essentially being the Antichrist, his every attempt to prove otherwise only feeding into it.
- Hunk: When using the powers of the Demon King form in the anime.
- I Shall Taunt You: Not so much in the manga or anime, but he pulls it off a few times in the novels. For example:Bullies: (Threatening Akuto) Don't talk back to us. Don't you know what happens when you do that?
Akuto: Well, there’s two of you, so will you put on a manzai act?
- Mr. Fanservice: The best example in the series.
- Naytheist: Justified, since the gods actually are just systems.
- Nice Guy: In spite of his heritage/destiny.
- Oblivious to Love: On par for a harem protagonist. At the end, he actually marries all of his harem members.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Aside from incredible physical strength (especially in the anime which emphasizes it by giving him a Temporary Bulk Change), his raw magical power makes him one of the most dangerous beings in the universe.
- Punny Name: His quest to be a paragon of goodness is doomed from the start when his very name pronounced phonetically (Sai Akuto) literally rhymes with "Ultimate Villain" in Japanese.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Justified by the setting of the story.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has red eyes and if you ever cross him, these will be the last things you'll see.
- Satan Is Good: Pretty much the first true case in his own universe, unlike his predecessors.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Though he eventually upgrades to Strong and Skilled.
- The So-Called Coward: At first glance, he may come of as somewhat meek. However, once the situation calls for it, he won't flinch even for a moment in order to protect his loved ones.
- Temporary Bulk Change: In the anime, when he activates his powers his dress shirt often gets torn off. (or inexplicably vanishes), revealing his suddenly ripped physique. This is especially prominent in Episode 7 where he goes from average teenager to full-on bodybuilder in seconds. Apparently justified as mana can be used to strengthen one's muscles.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Especially when his powers are active. In the anime he grows so muscular that you'd be forgiven to mistake him for a junior bodybuilder.
- Tomato in the Mirror: It turns out that demon kings are artificial human beings.
- Villain Ball Magnet: No matter how hard he tries, he just cannot seem to prove to the other students that he's not a bad guy.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Spends most of the anime finale as this.
The Demon King's Followers
Big Bad of the whole world. The fact that most of their conflicts end with him destroying her clothes doesn't help.
- Action Girl: She definitively wasn't slacking with her training.
- Arranged Marriage: To Akuto, though she is too nervous to tell him.
- Butt-Monkey: She's never safe from the world's abuse.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blue hair and eyes.
- Establishing Character Moment: In her first scene, she physically attacks Akuto because she saw him with her grandmother and automatically assumed that he was trying to mug her. This establishes Junko as a fundamentally good character who jumps to conclusions to the extent that she'll physically assault those she's falsely accusing.
- Hair Decorations: Two pink barrettes on the left side of her face.
- Knight Templar: Moreso in the anime than the manga.
- Lady of War: A graceful, yet lethal combatant.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In episode 3, she assembles a lynch mob to kill Akuto, but at the climax of the episode, Keena makes a comment that causes said lynch mob to turn on Junko as well. To really drive the point home, when Junko insists that it's a misunderstanding and that they should listen to what she has to say, Akuto tells her that he's been saying the exact same thing to her this whole time.
- Ms. Fanservice: Possibly the most blatant in Akuto's harem.
- Poor Communication Kills: Her Fatal Flaw; she constantly misinterprets Akuto's attempts to do good as evil and tries to kill him based on such conclusions, rarely, if ever, giving Akuto a chance to clear things up in the process.
- Sarashi/Fundoshi: She wears both of them underneath her clothes.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The special episodes focus mainly on Junko.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Appropriately enough, she has blue hair.
- Bromantic Foil: He is short, weak and destined to be the next hero, while Akuto is a Tall, Dark, and Handsome Anti Anti Christ.
- Clark Kenting: His transparent attempts to not seem like Brave.
- The Chosen One: He - of all people - is the new hero.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Towards Akuto, after siding with the Big Bad.
- First Kiss: With his crush Yuuka.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He's blonde and is a nice guy. Except that Hiroshi's a Hero Antagonist.
- Hero Antagonist: Becomes this after becoming Brave, the next hero.
- Powered Armor: He gets one as part of his hero upgrade halfway through the series. It's also Instant Armor
- Rescue Romance: With Yuuka.
- Secret Identity: He's Brave, the next hero.
- Took a Level in Badass: After becoming Brave, he becomes one of the most powerful fighters in the series.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Brave, despite his good intentions, is quite arrogant and he acts like only he knows best and no other does, even though he only recently was given power. He also becomes something of a hypocrite, deciding to do anything for the girl he loves, including helping the Big Bad, yet he condemns Akuto for being prepared to do something like kill God for a girl that he possibly loves.
- Big Eater: Especially when her Trademark Favorite Food is involved.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: She gets drunk whenever she downs an alcoholic beverage.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Or is it Obfuscating Stupidity?
- Flight: Stated to be her specialty.
- Genki Girl: Particularly when the topic is rice.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She can become invisible, but it doesn't extend to her clothes so she has to take them off.
- Invisible Streaker: To be invisible, she has to go without her clothes on.
- Reality Warper: To some extent, she manages to make everyone forget that Akuto is the demon king so he can live peacefully.
- Red Is Heroic: She has red hair and is one of Akuto's allies.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Rice. She thinks that if everyone would just sit down and share some, peace would reign.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: In one early scene, Etou is obviously pleasuring herself just off-screen as she lounges around in her underwear and monologues about her plan to gain control over Akuto.
- The Beastmaster: Gets demon beats to obey her, by bribing them with panties.
- Big Brother Worship: Had this when she was younger, and seems to come back once she learns the truth.
- Dark Mistress: Becoming the queen to the reigning Demon Lord is her sole ambition in life. While other the other girls attempt to woo Akuto by conventional means or aggressive sexuality, her idea of grand romantic gestures is to amass as much demonic power as she can to stir up the overlord in him.
- Even the Girls Want Her: ...and they got her in episode 3.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Poor Etou-senpai. She really does try so hard at it, but falls somewhat short...At least in the anime. In the manga, she's actually a bit more effectual.
- Mad Scientist: She can create surprisingly potent Love Potions at whim and later spent some time creating horrible monsters to impress the Demon King.
August Villiers de L'Isle-Adam, a 19th century french writer thet popularized the term "android") sent to spy on Akuto by the leadership of the Church of Mahct so they could tell whether or not he will really become the Demon King. She carries around a multi-purpose gun and generally maintains a cool demeanor punctuated with bursts of delightful sexual frankness.
- Covert Pervert: Just watch the bathroom scenes in the anime.
- Deadpan Snarker: "I'm always cute, thank you very much."
- Rei Ayanami Expy: An emotionless light-green haired girl in a bob cut acting as one of the love interests of the main character.
- The Stoic: She has a calm demeanor.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
Voiced by: Joji Nakata (JP), Andy McAvin (EN)A large, powerful dragon who served the previous Demon King but was sealed underneath the school. After Fujiko accidentally releases him, Akuto defeats him in battle and gains the dragon as an ally.
- Defeat Means Friendship: When Akuto defeats him, Peterhausen becomes one of his allies.
- Loophole Abuse: There is no rule stating that one can't keep a dragon in school.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Her main fighting style.
- Bokukko: She uses the masculine personal pronoun of "Boku."
- Calling Your Attacks: Ultimate Technique: The Throw!
- Shout-Out: Her hat seems to look similar to the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter.
- But a lot more similar to Uma's hat in Renkin San-kyuu Magical Pokaan.
- Student Council President: She's the president of the academy's student council.
- Verbal Tic: ends most of her sentences with "gya".
Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki (JP), Margaret Fawcett (EN)Secretary who only speaks with a "guga" Verbal Tic. A Liradan (L'Isle-Adam) like Korone, but of a different model. She also has her own mech.
Cabinet Intelligence Magick Office, "CIMO8"
Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki (JP), Leraldo Anzuldua (EN)The rumored head of CIMO8 with a magical sword power that can cut through anything, including dimensions. He has been working behind the scenes to try and neutralize the Demon King before he became too powerful.According to the anime, he is actually a time-traveler who lost his lover to the original Demon King, and somehow traveled to the present to stop the current Demon King, Akuto, from gaining the same powers. However, when he discovers the reincarnation of his lost love in the body of Kena Soga, he instead decided to inherit the power of a God with Kena's "Law of Identity".
- Big Bad: The main antagonist of the series.
- Hero Antagonist: In the novels, this aspect of him is constantly emphasized. Despite some of the unsavory things he does for humanity, he is fundamentally a very good person at heart. Even Akuto refers to him as the incarnation of goodness, and Teruya Keizo calls him a fundamentally good person even after Bouichirou slices him in half.
- Love Makes You Evil: Subverted, purely by virtue of the fact that Bouichirou isn't really evil. However, his main motivation in his quest is his love for one of the previous Laws of Identity.
- Light Is Good: See Hero Antagonist
- Older Than They Look: Yamato apparently fought the previous Demon King along with the old man currently serving as Headmaster of the Academy
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: After seeing his motive for doing the things he does, you can hardly blame him...not that it justifies his actions any.
Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu (JP), Stephanie Wittels (EN)A mysterious green-haired girl who freelances as a spy for CIMO8. She has a rivalry with Junko that stretches back between their families, both of which have been jockeying for position under the God Suhara. Eiko is willing to do anything to gain more power, from seducing the potential Demon King to backstabbing members of her own clan.
- General Failure: According to 2V, she's not really a very skilled military commander.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytail hair goes down to her thighs.
- The Rival/Evil Counterpart: To Junko
- Self-Made Orphan: Kills her father in order to become the high priest.
- The Vamp: Openly and proudly flaunts the fact that she's not a virgin, constantly teasing Junko about the fact that the latter is one; not to mention her first solution to every problem with a guy is "will you sleep with me?"
- Villainous Breakdown: Once she sees her father alive again...
- You Kill It, You Bought It: She became a high priest of Suhara in Episode 10 and held power over all the Suhara ninjas at least until her father came back from the dead.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears thigh-high socks to go with her uniform.
Voiced by: Haruo Satou (JP)An odd agent from CIMO8 who seems obsessed with the "artistic" side of everything. Uses sound-based magic to nullify the mana-based powers of other mages, and seeks to rekindle the great war against the Demon King just because he can.
- Ambiguously Brown: Has a notably darker skin than most of the cast but his exact ethnic background is dubious.
- Anti-Magic: One of the ways he uses sound magic is to nullify other magic, forcing a melee battle.
- Dirty Old Man: Taken Up to 11. He is easily the most perverted male character in the series.
- For the Evulz: Sparking a war just for the heck of it definitively qualifies.
- Large Ham: Especially in the anime. Fitting for a Cloudcuckoolander Musical Assassin, he has a very bombastic tone.
- Musical Assassin: Uses sound-based spells, and can even use them to cancel other magic.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Despite of what his personality may suggest, he is a competent fighter.
- Punny Name: His code name Mister X may be a pun on mystery, while 'X' usually denotes an unknown factor. Fitting for a secret agent.
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Higuchi (JP)Another agent of CIMO8 who seems rather well-adjusted compared to the others, as he is shown in a professional suit and tie during his debut. He has the ability to control human-looking puppets remotely with his magic, and thus no one knows his true face.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Looks nice, but he's actually a condescending asshole.
Fujiko's Older Brother
Fujiko's Older Brother
Knight Templar who lost his life during one expedition after being tricked by Bouichirou. It was a plan to lead the potential Demon King into a trap that would kill him. He currently exists as a Brain in a Jar after his sister magically reanimated his head.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Was this, exploring the origins of Black Magic until his premature death.
- Back from the Dead: Well, his head anyway. Etou does this to try and discover what secret he found out during his last treasure hunt. Unfortunately...
- Darkis Not Evil: Was a dark mage trying to prove that they could be good.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He does this to himself after he discovers a treasure whose secret is too horrible to reveal. It causes his death at the hands of his employer
- Oracular Head: His head can still communicate, although it doesn't remember much...
Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi (JP), Rozie Curtis (EN)Akuto's teacher who seems to be a bit too interested in studying him, dead or alive.
- Running Gag: Her willingness to dissect Akuto.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi (JP)A popular TV idol under the stage name Yuri Hoshino, Yuuko also happens to be a Suharaist ninja and the younger sister of Junko. On top of that, she happens to have a little demon blood in her after an accident with a monster during her childhood, and can sense when there are monsters nearby. However, Akuto's presence has caused the demon blood within Yuuko to make her a bit crazier than normal...
- Cursed with Awesome: When she was younger, she was bitten by a monster. As a result, she can detect when they're nearby. However, it's unslightly and will eventually kill her, unless it can be removed...
- Cute and Psycho: She seems a bit too happy to jump into battle and kill monsters.
- Idiot Ball: She accepts a suicide mission from Eiko Teruya as part of the latter's Uriah Gambit, thinking that she wouldn't be in much danger because she would be able to take down hundreds of demon beasts on her own, and all in all treating the whole thing like a chance to get extra publicity. If Brave hadn't shown up to take out most of the demon beasts, she wouldn't have lasted a minute.