open/close all folders
Screw Destiny only serve to drag him further down the path of evil. He's attracted a small harem of followers, ranging from a robotic private detective to a young fanboy, who all have their own reasons for wanting to see whether or not Akuto will become the next Demon King.
- Badass: It's hard to take down a dragon with little other than your own fists and not be one.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Akuto tries to use his powers for good purposes, but they either backfire, such as when he tried to zap a demon to stop it, which then made it stronger, or people radically misinterpret it as him using it for evil, such as when he's using his power to protect Hiroshi from some thugs, only to have Junko show up late and assume he was abusing his power.
- Brutal Honesty: Downplayed in the manga and the anime, but in the novels, he really has no problems with telling people such as Fujiko exactly what he thinks about them.
- Close-Call Haircut: Courtesy of Junko in episode 3. Subverted when it's shown that he didn't completely avoid the strike and got a small cut near his eye.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Well, after his first time using it he is aware of how ridiculously powerful he is, but he nevertheless has serious trouble controlling it.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Accused of essentially being the Antichrist, his every attempt to prove otherwise only feeding into it
- I Shall Taunt You: Not so much in the manga or anime, but he pulls it off a few times in the novels. For example:Bullies: (Threatening Akuto) Don't talk back to us. Don't you know what happens when you do that?
Akuto: Well, there’s two of you, so will you put on a manzai act?
- Naytheist: Justified, since the gods actually are just systems.
- Nice Guy: In spite of his heritage/destiny.
- Punny Name: His quest to be a paragon of goodness is doomed from the start when his very name pronounced phonetically (Sai Akuto) literally rhymes with "Ultimate Villain" in Japanese.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Though he eventually upgrades to Strong and Skilled.
- Temporary Bulk Change: In the anime, he activates his powers his dress shirt often gets torn off (or inexplicably vanishes), revealing his suddenly ripped physique. This is especially prominent in Episode 7 where he goes from average teenager to full-on bodybuilder in seconds. Apparently justified as using mana to strengthen one's muscles.
- Tomato in the Mirror: It turns out that demon kings are artificial human beings.
- Villain Ball Magnet: No matter how hard he tries, he just cannot seem to prove to the other students that he's not a bad guy.
The Demon King's Followers
Big Bad of the whole world. The fact that most of their conflicts end with him destroying her clothes doesn't help.
- Arranged Marriage: To Akuto, though she is too nervous to tell him.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blue hair and eyes.
- Establishing Character Moment: In her first scene, she physically attacks Akuto because she saw him with her grandmother and automatically assumed that he was trying to mug her.
- Hair Decorations: Two pink barrettes on the left side of her face.
- Knight Templar: Moreso in the anime than the manga.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In episode 3, she assembles a lynch mob to kill Akuto, but at the climax of the episode, Keena makes a comment that causes said lynch mob to turn on Junko as well. To really drive the point home, when Junko insists that it's a misunderstanding and that they should listen to what she has to say, Akuto tells her that he's been saying the exact same thing to her this whole time.
- Poor Communication Kills: Her Fatal Flaw; she constantly misinterprets Akuto's attempts to do good as evil and tries to kill him based on such conclusions, rarely, if ever, giving Akuto a chance to clear things up in the process.
- Badass: Once he becomes Brave.
- Clark Kenting: His transparent attempts to not seem like Brave.
- First Kiss: With his crush.
- Powered Armor: He gets one as part of his hero upgrade halfway through the series. It's also Instant Armor
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Brave, despite his good intentions, is quite arrogant and he acts like only he knows best and no other does, even though he only recently was given power. He also becomes something of a hypocrite, deciding to do anything for the girl he loves, including helping the Big Bad, yet he condemns Akuto for being prepared to do something like kill God for a girl that he possibly loves.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Or is it Obfuscating Stupidity?
- Flight: Stated to be her specialty.
- Genki Girl: Particularly when the topic is rice.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She can become invisible, but it doesn't extend to her clothes so she has to take them off.
- Reality Warper: To some extent, she manages to make everyone forget that Akuta is the demon king so he can live peacefully.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Rice. She thinks that if everyone would just sit down and share some, peace would reign.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: In one early scene, Etou is obviously pleasuring herself just off-screen as she lounges around in her underwear and monologues about her plan to gain control over Akuto.
- The Beastmaster: Gets demon beats to obey her, by bribing them with panties.
- Big Brother Worship: Had this when she was younger, and seems to come back once she learns the truth.
- Even the Girls Want Her: ...and they got her in episode 3.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Poor Etou-senpai. She really does try so hard at it, but falls somewhat short...At least in the anime. In the manga, she's actually a bit more effectual.
- Mad Scientist: She can create surprisingly potent Love Potions at whim and later spent some time creating horrible monsters to impress the Demon King.
August Villiers de L'Isle-Adam, a 19th century french writer thet popularized the term "android") sent to spy on Akuto by the leadership of the Church of Mahct so they could tell whether or not he will really become the Demon King. She carries around a multi-purpose gun and generally maintains a cool demeanor punctuated with bursts of delightful sexual frankness.
Voiced by: Joji Nakata (JP), Andy McAvin (EN)A large, powerful dragon who served the previous Demon King but was sealed underneath the school. After Fujiko accidentally releases him, Akuto defeats him in battle and gains the dragon as an ally.
- Loophole Abuse: There is no rule stating that one can't keep a dragon in school.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Her main fighting style.
- Bokukko: She uses the masculine personal pronoun of "Boku."
- Calling Your Attacks: Ultimate Technique: The Throw!
- Verbal Tic: ends most of her sentences with "gya".
Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki (JP), Margaret Fawcett (EN)Secretary who only speaks with a "guga" Verbal Tic. A Liradan (L'Isle-Adam) like Korone, but of a different model. She also has her own mech.
Cabinet Intelligence Magick Office, "CIMO8"
Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki (JP), Leraldo Anzuldua (EN)The rumored head of CIMO8 with a magical sword power that can cut through anything, including dimensions. He has been working behind the scenes to try and neutralize the Demon King before he became too powerful.According to the anime, he is actually a time-traveler who lost his lover to the original Demon King, and somehow traveled to the present to stop the current Demon King, Akuto, from gaining the same powers. However, when he discovers the reincarnation of his lost love in the body of Kena Soga, he instead decided to inherit the power of a God with Kena's "Law of Identity".
- Hero Antagonist: In the novels, this aspect of him is constantly emphasized. Despite some of the unsavory things he does for humanity, he is fundamentally a very good person at heart. Even Akuto refers to him as the incarnation of goodness, and Teruya Keizo calls him a fundamentally good person even after Bouichirou slices him in half.
- Love Makes You Evil: Subverted, purely by virtue of the fact that Bouichirou isn't really evil. However, his main motivation in his quest is his love for one of the previous Laws of Identity.
- Light Is Good: See Hero Antagonist
- Older Than They Look: Yamato apparently fought the previous Demon King along with the old man currently serving as Headmaster of the Academy
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: After seeing his motive for doing the things he does, you can hardly blame him...not that it justifies his actions any.
Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu (JP), Stephanie Wittels (EN)A mysterious green-haired girl who freelances as a spy for CIMO8. She has a rivalry with Junko that stretches back between their families, both of which have been jockeying for position under the God Suhara. Eiko is willing to do anything to gain more power, from seducing the potential Demon King to backstabbing members of her own clan.
- General Failure: According to 2V, she's not really a very skilled military commander.
- Self-Made Orphan: Kills her father in order to become the high priest.
- The Rival/Evil Counterpart: To Junko
- The Vamp: Openly and proudly flaunts the fact that she's not a virgin, constantly teasing Junko about the fact that the latter is one; not to mention her first solution to every problem with a guy is "will you sleep with me?"
- Villainous Breakdown: Once she sees her father alive again...
- You Kill It, You Bought It: She became a high priest of Suhara in Episode 10 and held power over all the Suhara ninjas at least until her father came back from the dead.