Characters: Deities And General Character Tropes
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet deals with the deities of the setting, as well as general character tropes shared by various groups within the series.
Kal'enel, "The Star-eyed Goddess"The Goddess of all the Kaled'a'in clans, she has four aspects, the Maiden, the Warrior, the Mother and the Crone. It is mentioned in The Mage Storms that ancient Karse had a Goddess with an almost identical name, in addition to the God Vkandis.
- Divine Delegation: The souls of her Sworn continue to serve her after they die, acting as trainers and advisers to living Sworn (among other things). In the Mage Winds trilogy, she branches out a little further by selecting a pair of Avatars.
- The Hecate Sisters: Three of her four aspects, the odd one being the Warrior.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Her eyes look like a starry night sky, without discernible irises or pupils.
- The Omniscient: Averted, even She doesn't always know what's going to happen.
- Physical God: There is no doubt that She exists and She has interfered relatively often and unmistakably in the lives of her people over the years.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She is good to her people, but she doesn't baby them either.
Vkandis the Sun LordThe God worshiped in Karse and Iftel
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: How he chose to start off his dramatic re-organization of the corrupt Karsite priesthood.
- Fan Nickname: Vkandis the Unsubtle, due to the aforementioned bolt of divine retribution
- Smite Me, O Mighty Smiter
- A Boy and His X
- Changeling Fantasy: Not universally, but many Herald-Trainees were plucked out of old, ordinary lives, some of which were horrific, when their Companions arrived to get them.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Circuit Judge
- Fish out of Water: New trainees often experience this.
- Good Feels Good
- Highly Conspicuous Uniform: Their Whites. Quite deliberately in this case.
- Honor Before Reason: Can often show this mindset
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Pretty much a requirement, it's mentioned that, theoretically anyone can be corrupted, but that most evildoers wouldn't be able to figure out what would corrupt a Herald much less provide it.
- Living Lie Detector: Via the Truth Spell.
- Mind Over Manners
- Psychic Powers: Heraldic "Gifts."
- Samaritan Syndrome
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
- Because Destiny Says So: Why they choose whom they choose
- Bond Creatures
- Call to Adventure: They deliver it
- The Call Knows Where You Live: And exactly where to find you. And will shanghai you from wherever you are and carry you off to the Collegium without so much as a by-your-leave. Even if you're being burned to death at the time.
- Cool Horse
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Innocent Blue Eyes: All companions are incorruptible, and they all have blue eyes.
- Intellectual Animal
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Will sometimes use this on Heralds
- Occult Blue Eyes: Their eyes are bleached to pale blue by the magic they work.
- Our Angels Are Different: Mercedes Lackey has said that Grove-born Companions are essentially archangels who have taken on a mortal form, while regular Companions are basically ordinary angels (or reincarnated spirits) in a mortal body. At least some appear to be reincarnated Heralds, which is a huge secret.
- Omniscient Morality License
- Sapient Steed
- Spirit Advisor: Technically. Sort of.