Characters / Deities And General Character Tropes
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet
deals with the deities of the setting, as well as general character tropes shared by various groups within the series.
Kal'enel, "The Star-eyed Goddess"
The Goddess of all the Kaled'a'in clans, she has four aspects, the Maiden, the Warrior, the Mother and the Crone. It is mentioned in The Mage Storms
that ancient Karse had a Goddess with an almost identical name, in addition to the God Vkandis.
- Divine Delegation: The souls of her Sworn continue to serve her after they die, acting as trainers and advisers to living Sworn (among other things). In the Mage Winds trilogy, she branches out a little further by selecting a pair of Avatars.
- The Hecate Sisters: Three of her four aspects, the odd one being the Warrior.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Her eyes look like a starry night sky, without discernible irises or pupils.
- The Omniscient: Averted, even She doesn't always know what's going to happen.
- Physical God: There is no doubt that She exists and She has interfered relatively often and unmistakably in the lives of her people over the years.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She is good to her people, but she doesn't baby them either.
Vkandis the Sun Lord
The God worshiped in Karse and Iftel
- Because Destiny Says So: Why they choose whom they choose
- Bond Creatures
- Call to Adventure: They deliver it
- The Call Knows Where You Live: And exactly where to find you. And will shanghai you from wherever you are and carry you off to the Collegium without so much as a by-your-leave. Even if you're being burned to death at the time.
- Cool Horse: They appear to be graceful, pure white horses with blue eyes. Their strength, stamina, and intelligence far exceeds any normal horse, without even going into their personalities and supernatural powers. Even their silver hooves make a musical chiming noise when they strike the ground.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Innocent Blue Eyes: All companions are incorruptible, and they all have blue eyes.
- Intellectual Animal
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Will sometimes use this on Heralds
- Occult Blue Eyes: Their eyes are bleached to pale blue by the magic they work.
- Our Angels Are Different: Mercedes Lackey has said that Grove-born Companions are essentially archangels who have taken on a mortal form, while regular Companions are basically ordinary angels (or reincarnated spirits) in a mortal body. At least some appear to be reincarnated Heralds, which is a huge secret.
- And just to make it even more interesting, some Companions apparently go the other direction and return to life as Heralds.
- In the Mage Storms, when in conversation with Karal about various Sons of the Sun being re-incarnated as Fire Cats, (the mystical companions and advisers to particularly favored or important priests) the Companion Florian (who's more or less the Companion's ambassador/cultural advisor to Karal) mentions absently that 'it depends on how many times you've been around'... which rather implies that many, if not all, of the souls concerned recycle fairly continuously (with a brief stop in the Havens to rest and recharge a bit) between Herald - who don't remember their previous lives - and Companion - who do, and that's the source of their legendary wisdom... accumulated life experience! Florian dies as a Heroic Sacrifice during the final Mage Storm, and Karal (who was granted a brief vision of Florian's human form) resolves to keep an eye out among the Heraldic Trainees in about twenty years or so...
- Omniscient Morality License
- Reincarnation Romance: Profoundly averted, and the desire to avoid this is at least part of the reason Companions don't reveal who or what they are.
- Sapient Steed
- Spirit Advisor: Technically. Sort of.