Characters: Dead Like Me
open/close all folders
Georgia "George" Lass
That's me. I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit.
- Age-Appropriate Angst: George died when she was in her late teens.
- Attending Your Own Funeral
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Killed by a toilet seat that became dislodged from a de-orbiting Soviet space station.
- Deadpan Snarker: It seems to run in the Lass family.
- Death by Looking Up: George even looks back at her death and asks why she just stood there and looked up instead of trying to move out of the way.
- Fauxlosophic Narration: George's narration can sometimes become this if she's feeling angsty enough.
- First Episode Resurrection: George doesn't get to pass on to the afterlife when she dies, instead she ends up becoming a reaper.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic
- Tomboyish Name: George is short for Georgia.
- The Snark Knight
- You Can't Go Home Again
"A corpse is like a peach cobbler that got dropped on the floor. As good as it was, you still wouldn't want it anymore."
- Deadpan Snarker
- A Father to His Men
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric/melancholic
- Jerk With a Heart of Gold
- Team Dad:
- The Leader
"That's Roxy. She can kick your ass".
- Absentee Actor: She was absent a lot in season 1.
- Beware the Nice Ones: After being verbally abused whilst giving an obnoxious man a parking ticket, she eventually lost her temper and ripped his soul out for a few seconds before returning it, simply to teach him a lesson.
- The Big Guy
- The Cast Showoff: Jasmine Guy got to show off her dancing.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric
- Not So Above It All: Her Seinfeldian Conversations with Mason demonstrate she can actually kind of understand the way he thinks.
- Spicy Latina/Sassy Black Woman: Jasmine Guy is half-black, half-Portuguese, and Roxy is street-smart, down-to-Earth, and doesn't suffer fools gladly.
- Unwanted False Faith: Due to the aforementioned incident with the parking ticket, the man eventually started a cult believing God was a meter maid. Rube was not particularly thrilled to learn about this.
"And then there's Mason. Oh Mason, Mason".
- The Alcoholic: This is the only way he can cope with his reaps.
- Ass Shove: Mason once tried to smuggle drugs in a condom stuck up his ass. Hilarity Ensues.
- Butt Monkey
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: He died trying to trepan himself because he thought it would give him the ultimate high. Over the course of the series he has a number of odd money making ideas.
- Drugs Are Bad: He is taught this when experiencing heroin exploding in his rectum and not (due to being undead) being able to die from the lethal dose, instead having to suffer all the horrible side effects.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine/choleric
- Living Forever Is Awesome: Played with. Unlike his fellows who are angsty or just apathetic, he's actually pretty happy with his lot in death. On the other hand he envies the souls that get to pass on immediately while he has to stay behind, but this is because whatever's on the other side is better than the side he's on.
- Mr. Fanservice: His antics frequently get him naked or half naked, treating the audience to several shots of his bottom or his Union Jack underwear, mostly played for laughs, though.
- Go Out with a Smile: He is revealed to have died in 1960s England after drilling a hole in his own head to try an achieve the ultimate high.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Wore these when attempting said ultimate high.
- Immortal Immaturity: Since attempting that ultimate high, he has not matured a day.
- No Social Skills
- Only One Name: It's hard to say whether it's his first or last name.
"Do your nipples get hard when you sneeze?"
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Betty tags along with a recently deceased soul to the afterlife before her time. However it's loosely implied she might have ended up somewhere else.
- Blithe Spirit: Being dead doesn't stop Betty from being full of life.
- Catch Phrase / Pre-Mortem One-Liner: "Happy thoughts!"
- Cool Big Sis: Betty gradually becomes this to George before hijacking a lift to the afterlife.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Dies by jumping off a cliff into a river for fun. It even takes a moment for her to realise that she's died, because she's still excited from the leap.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine
- Hidden Depths: Comes across as ditzy and a little shallow, but is sweet, thoughtful, and charming underneath it all.
- Precious Photos: Betty takes a picture of every single soul that she's reaped over the years, and keeps them in carefully labelled sacks.
- Put on a Bus: Betty leaves halfway through season one.
"My mother. She hates balloons and the word 'moist'. She considers it pornographic".George's mother
- Drowning My Sorrows: seen drinking in the middle of the day in season 1
- Doting Parent: is this at times to Reggie (like when she begged her to let stand still so she could take a picture of her in her band uniform), who rebuffs her completely
- Abusive Parents: Is this the rest of the time to Reggie.
- Housewife: even after she gets divorced she doesn't go back to work
- Stepford Smiler
"She's not really invisible but she might as well have been".George's little sister
- Age-Appropriate Angst
- CloudCuckoolander: While grief does make people do strange things, a toilet-seat tree shrine is... certainly out there.
- Deadpan Snarker: Takes after her sister
- My Sibling Will Live Through Me: Takes a lot of cues from her dead older sister.
- She's All Grown Up: In the movie.
- Shrine to the Fallen: Early in season 1 she steals toilet seats and hangs them on a tree as shrine to her dead sister
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Stepford Smiler Played with, she sometimes appears to use the cheerful facade to hide her insecurities and loneliness remaining from her Dark and Troubled Past, other times it seems her experiences taught her to appreciate life and be empathic to other people and all the cheer is genuine.