The Dragon Lords
You play with numbers, but what about training, weapons, and cunning? Does the ability of any one of our men not make you quiver with fear?
The leader of the Dragon Lords, Khuul's brother and Taerel's wife. An ancient and wise king, but after years of being dormant he has become slightly emotionally unstable.
An Aenar knight who Jumped at the Call
. His intentions were originally to earn fame and recognition for his heroism, but over the course of the story becomes more interested in saving people. He is killed by the cult leader at the end of The Scavengers.
My dear, I love you. I don't know about tomorrow, or the end of time. But I love you right now, this day. That's all I know, and it's all I need to know.
Ralan's wife, who suggests that he go and find a scholar to help him on his journey.
A mysterious traveller who goes by the name 'N', and often carries out studies for the Guild of Scholars. He also happens to be a master thief and extremely charming. When Ralan hunts him down, he is genuinely impressed and agrees to travel with him.
A bard who was singing in an inn near the Wilderness when Ralan met her. Seeing her starving state, he took pity on her and took her under his wing.
- Ambiguous Disorder:
- Escapism: Daydreams and paints to avoid her emotional anguish.
- Heavy Sleeper: Justified in the fact that she's starving and needs to conserve energy.
- Loving a Shadow: Convinces herself that she's in love with Ninsaar because it makes her feel 'normal'.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Although she is quite mentally ill, this comes across much stronger than it actually is. She hides behind insanity because she knows it scares people away.
- Smarter Than You Look: At first, she seems to be quite insane. But in times of trouble, she's shown to be at least of average intelligence.
- Starving Artist: It's quite clear that she would have died soon if she hadn't joined Ninsaar and Ralan.
- The Load: Ninsaar initially considers her to be this.
One thing I have learned in my short lifetime is that life isn't easy, but it is fair. Life would be easy if my prophecies were more frequent and clearer, but I know we can get through this without them.
Ralan's illegitimate daughter, whose mother was a bard that left Ralan after sleeping with him and dumped the baby on his doorstep
. Ill-prepared for a child, Ralan left her with a lesbian couple. Being part-Bruleta, a species famed for its oracles, she inherited the ability to predict the future.
- Cool Pet: Her ferrets, Faervel and Thorvil. Named after the two people who'd be with her when she died.
- Doorstop Baby: How Ralan found out he had a daughter.
- Has Two Mommies: Was raised by two women, Baralindis and Gilrin.
- Seer: She can see the future, but the catch is that she can only see what she needs to see.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Whether thanks to her prophetic abilites, her love of reading or just natural intelligence, she displays wisdom and intellect far beyond that of the average six-year-old.
- The Quiet One: Prefers to think than to talk.