open/close all folders
When the Dark Genie attacked Norune Village, Toan was saved by the Fairy King. Toan was gifted with the Atlamilla, a magical stone allowing Toan to open the Atla containing pieces of various villages and their people and restore the world around him. His default weapon is a dagger, but he can use a wide variety of blades, from the lowly kitchen knife to the Chronicle Sword.
- Disappeared Dad: There are only hints as to what might have happened. Flavor text on the Ruler's Sword gives his name: Aga.
- Cool Sword: Most of Toans final tier weapons.
- The Hero
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Toan specializes in daggers and swords.
- Heroic Mime
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Why Toan was able to use the Atlamillia.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Kleptomaniac Hero: There are plenty of chests lying around town just waiting to be opened for various goodies.
- The Face: After someone else joins the party, they're never seen outside of dungeons.
- Sweat Drop: When the Macho brothers break into a fight.
Xiao was originally a cat found in the Divine Beast Cave. After a battle with Seda, Toan was gifted a special potion that allowed him to change an animal into a human. Xiao was given the potion and became a cat girl. Very devoted to Toan, she immediately joined him on his quest to rebuild the world and stop the Dark Genie. She uses a variety of slingshots, including one that talks. Her specialty is jumping over gaps in dungeons that feature pillars she can use as a sort of stepping stone.
- Badass Adorable
- Brats with Slingshots: Not that she's bratty.
- Cat Girl: Thanks to Seda's potion.
- Cute Little Fangs
- The Cutie
- Genki Girl
- Humanity Ensues
- Third-Person Person
Goro is the son of a powerful and respected hunter named Fudoh. Fudoh became ill and sought out the Great White Snake to meet his end in battle. Goro never knew how his dad died, but the villagers knew. Since they never told him, he developed a hatred of them. When Toan retrieves Fudoh's Bone Pendant from the Great White Snake, Goro agrees to accompany him. His main weapons are hammers and axes. He can be used to hit large switches in dungeons.
- An Axe to Grind: Goro can use axes as well as hammers.
- The Big Guy
- Drop the Hammer: As noted above, his signature weapon is a hammer - though he can also make use of a frozen tuna.
- Jerkass Woobie: Goro lost his father and nobody would tell him why. As a result be became a rotten boy that everyone hated. When he got the last message his father left for him, telling him everything that happened Goro turned his back on him and refused any possible closure.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother is never seen and his father died fighting the Killer Snake.
- Proud Warrior Lineage Guy
RubyA genie unleashed by King, a slick man who lives in Queens. Wields magic rings, and can activate certain triggers.
- Genie in a Bottle
- Elemental Powers: She uses ranged elemental attacks.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's shown terrorizing the King, his lackeys, and Jack, but she also quickly accepts The Call and offers Toan her help with the Dark Genie.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Ring of Power: Her weapon of choice.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
UngagaA warrior from Muska Lacka. Wields spears, and can clear away smoke that blocks passages.
- Broken Ace
- Failure Knight
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After Muska Racka is destroyed.
- My Greatest Failure: He blames himself for the destruction of his village.
- Not Afraid to Die
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Weapon of Choice: Blade on a Stick and Simple Staff, primarily. He also has one weapon that's a cactus ball on the end of a staff, effectively being a type of polearm-mace.
OsmondChief inventor of the Moon People. Wields guns, and can fly across gaps that Xiao cannot jump across as they lack the pillers, as well as those she can. Reappears as an NPC in Dark Chronicle
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: With actual bunny ears, no less! A masterful inventor with some knowledge of magic who builds his own guns. Cheerfully announces that his plan for infiltrating the dark palace is to beat the Dark Genie into a pulp with a flying mech and nonchalantly bequeaths responsibility for the heavier lifting along the way to Toan.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- The Smart Guy
- Weapon of Choice: Machine guns, flamethrowers (which change colors to reflect the active element, so they can also be icethrowers, etc.), and laser guns.
The Fairy King
When the Dark Genie destroyed several villages in the opening of the game, the King of the Fairies saved the people and structures by sealing them inside Atla. He gave Toan the Atlamilla, a stone allowing him to open the Atla and rearrange the world around him. He also drops by to give instructions to Toan from time to time whenever a new game mechanic is introduced. He knows about Seda and the Dark Genie and considers the Dark Genie to be a grave threat to the world. However due to the Genie and Faeries having the same kind of magic, he and his kin are powerless to stop it.
- Our Fairies Are Different
- Magic Staff: The Fairy King wields a staff.
- The Chooser of The One
- Mr. Exposition: To an almost ridiculous degree. Thankfully he eventually just gives you an in-game manual to answer any questions you may have about game mechanics. That said it's possible (and likely) to get the book before he's done with all his exposition throughout the first dungeon, given he hands it to you the first time you leave it.
Dran, the Divine Beast, is the guardian of Norune village and ruler of the Divine Beast Cave. After Toan freed him from the Dark Genies influence, he agreed to help Toan on his quest to stop the Dark Genie.
- Big Damn Heroes: Rescues the Sun Giant's pilots when it's destroyed by the Dark Genie.
- Boss Arena Urgency: If you take too long to damage Dran he'll start blasting holes in the floor.
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Damage-Sponge Boss: He takes a LONG time to defeat with early game weapons.
- Intellectual Animal: Dran is quite capable of talking with people and even teaches Toan a new attack if everyone in Norune is pleased with how you've rebuilt the village.
- Mighty Roar: Only fitting as he's bigger than most houses in Norune Village.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Dran looks like a gigantic bear with goat horns, bird wings and a vaguely dog-like face with floppy ears.
A mysterious man that keeps crossing paths with Toan. Eventually revealed to be the king of the game's magic kingdom, which was fighting a war against a technologically-advanced kingdom - and losing it. He accepts a dark power from a witch into himself to ensure his country's victory, but when his fiance, Sophia, is killed by an assassin meant for him, the resultant emotional breakdown gives the dark power form as the Dark Genie. During the course of the game, he is time travelling to Toan's era (his own future), to try and make things right.
- Deal with the Devil: Mixing a witch's blood with his own won him the battle with the West.
- Despair Event Horizon: Losing Sophia drove him over the edge and the Dark Genie was born from the resulting breakdown.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- The Good King: Everything he did, he did either for his kingdom, his beloved, or to repair the damage he had caused.
- Love Makes You Evil: Not quite. In his case, it's more 'love causes you to give birth to evil', as detail in Despair Event Horizon.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- The Watcher
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
- You Are Not Ready: Duels Toan to test whether or not he's ready - lets him go if he loses, but won't let him progress.
A dark genie being unleashed upon the world that threatens to destroy it.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: The creature we think is the Dark Genie is revealed to be a mere rat that got locked into the urn along with the real Dark Genie.
- Barrier Change Boss: Certain parts of his model change colors to indicate the element he's currently vulnerable to during his first phase.
- Cutscene Boss: The fake Genie is defeated in by the Sun Giant in a cutscene. There's some speculation that the fight was supposed to be a Duel, but what we have in the finished product is non-interactable.
- Eldritch Abomination: He doesn't have a physical form after he's released from the urn.
- Dark Is Evil: He is the Dark Genie after all.
- Holy Hurts Evil: Averted in his first form where his elemental weaknesses change periodically, and the holy element doesn't occupy any special role in defeating him. Played straight in his final form.
- Made of Evil: As long as hate exists in humans, so too will the Dark Genie.
- Purple Is the New Black: The Genie is purple, as is all his magic.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Seda and Flagg gain red eyes when being possessed by the Dark Genie.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: The Dark Genie has no problem killing Flagg the second his usefulness runs out.
- Human Sacrifice: How Flagg was able to release the Genie from the urn.
- Power Of Hate: Is the embodiment of hatred.
- Purple Is Powerful
- Supernatural Is Purple
- Time Travel: The Genie plans to travel to all points in history to spread his evil.