open/close all folders
The Nanbara Connection
The hot-blooded leader of the team, dressed in red. Hyouma is an avid motorcyclist and speed freak. He pilots the Battle Jet, which forms the head of Combattler V.Debut role of Yuji Mitsuya.
- '70s Hair
- Artificial Arm: After Garuda destroys his arms, he gets cybernetic replacements.
- Badass Biker: Hyouma is an avid motorcyclist and speed freak.
- Berserk Button: Since he's an orphan who lived in an Orphanage of Love? Please, PLEASE don't ever harm a kid in front of this dude. He will fucking want your HEAD if you do.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Conveniently an Orphan: His parents died when he was a little kid, and he was adopted by the nun who ran an orphanage.
- Cool Bike
- Cool Helmet
- The Determinator: So what if you have shot his arms off and he is in terrible pain? He will crawl into the Battle Jet and somehow he will kick your butt. And what if his artificial limbs are getting numb and he cannot drive, let alone pilot? It does not matter, either.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Drives Like Crazy: He is not a lousy driver but a Badass Biker, but he likes a bit too much having fun as he drives. In his first appearance he caused a traffic accident because he broke the limit speed and several patrol cars were trying to catch him. All of his chasers crashed into each other, but of course, he avoided to crash.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns
- Leader Forms the Head
- Official Couple: With Chizuru.
- Worthy Opponent: Garuda considers him a Worthy Opponent, and even defended him when one of his underlings dissed him ("Shut up! When you build a Slave Beast able to defeat him then you will be able to speak!"). First he wanted Hyoma joined him -and when Hyoma refused he destroyed his arms- and later wanted having a face-to-face duel with him.
The second member of the team, dressed in blue. Juzo is a cool, level-headed Olympic-class marksman. He pilots the Battle Crusher, which forms the chest and arms of Combattler V. He is the only member of the team whose birthdate is revealed: April 1, 1958.
The third member, dressed in brown. Daisaku is a judo master who also enjoys sketching. He pilots the Battle Tank, which forms the torso of Combattler V, and the Battle Tank is also the only Battle Machine that cannot fly under its own power.
The fourth member, and only female member of the team, dressed in pink. Chizuru is also the granddaughter of Doctor Nanbara. She pilots the Battle Marine, which forms the legs of Combattler V.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Upon learning that she has valvular heart disease, she tries to hide it until it disables her in the middle of a battle. Afterwards, she undergoes surgery to correct the condition and returns to continue the fight against the Campbellians.
- The Chick
- Dangerously Short Skirt: She has various Panty Shot scenes.
- He's Back: After recovering from her heart disease.
- Ill Girl: She has valvular heart disease
- Heroic R.R.O.D.: Poor girl suffers a heart attack while fighting.
- Official Couple: With Hyouma.
- Pink Means Feminine: She is dressed in pink.
- Plucky Girl
- Rapunzel Hair
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has bluish-green hair.
The fifth member, dressed in green. Kosuke is a child wearing glasses who happens to be inventor. He pilots the Battle Craft, which forms Combattler V's feet.
Ropet (ロペット, Ropetto?)
A red robot that monitors the emotional state of the Battle Team, and authorizes combination by shouting "Combine, okay!" He is voiced by Masako Nozawa.
Kinta and Chie Ichinoki
Kinta and Chie IchinokiThe children of Nanbara Connection's cook, who show up after the midpoint of the series. They played the role of Plucky Comic Relief, giving the latter half of the series a much more comedic tone than the serious first half. Along with their pet frog, Keroppe, they sometimes pilot the sidekick machine Kerott into battle. They are voiced by Masako Nozawa and Noriko Tsukase, respectively.
Garuda's "Mother," Oreana orders him to attack the earth. The Campbellians' greatest scientist, she built a giant statue to house her mind in before coming to Earth in search of a new home for her people. After her dismissal of Garuda and his discovery of the truth behind his existence, she reveals a mechanical body housed within the statue and attempts to attack Com-Battler, but is first destroyed by Garuda.
- Big Bad: For the first season.
Great General Garuda
Great General Garuda(大将軍ガルーダ)
The ostensible leader of the Campbellian's attacks on earthling cities, Garuda oversees the deployment of the Monster of the Week. He is able to change his appearance at will from a blue-skinned, blonde-haired human to a humanoid eagle. After numerous failures to destroy Combattler V and the Nanbara Connection, he is stripped of his rank by Oreana. Soon after, he learns the truth of his origin: That he is actually the last in a line of androids created by Oreana to be her perfect son and the leader of the invasion force. Consumed by revenge, he finishes building the incomplete slave beast Big Garuda and uses it to destroy Oreana.
One of Garuda's android assistants. She is secretly in love with Garuda, but he is oblivious to her feelings. In a gambit to save Garuda after he is dismissed, she sacrifices her life piloting the slave beast Demon against Combattler V.
Another of Garuda's subordinates, he is in charge of training and activating the slave beasts that fight Combattler V.
Garuda's strategic advisor. After Garuda's dismissal, he is given command of Oreana's forces, only to be killed by Combattler V during the latter's confrontation with Oreana.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Didn't even get the slightest bit of climax or tenion to his death.
The final enemy of Combattler V and a very powerful sorceress. She can transform from a beautiful woman into a snakelike creature. In the penultimate episode, she attempts to destroy the Nanbara Connection and Combattler V with a bomb attached to Com-Battler's foot. Professor Yotsuya discovers the bomb in time to separate the foot from the rest of Com-Battler and raise the Choudenji Barrier, sacrificing the Connection and saving Com-Battler. Upon hearing of the revolt on Campbell, she makes a final attack on the forces of the Earth, but is defeated by Com-Battler. As her final revenge, she attempts to destroy the earth by sending a thermonuclear explosive into the planet's core. As she attempts to escape earth, Warchimedes confronts her and destroys himself to kill her.
Janera's scientific and strategic advisor, and Dungele's older brother. He coordinates the building and selection of the Magma Beasts that are sent to fight Combattler V. After the death of Dungele, he pilots a Magma Beast into battle, attacking Combattler V and giving Janera the opportunity to destroy the Nanbara Connection. When he is defeated, his brain is transferred into a robot body, which he then self-destructs to kill Janera. His name, pronounced "Warukimedesu" in Japanese, rather than being partly based on the English word "war", may be better regarded as a portmanteau formed from "waru" (meaning "evil") and "Arukimedesu" (Archimedes), thus epitomising the classic sci-fi concept of a great but evil scientist.
Janera's other subordinate, and Warchimedes's younger brother. He pilots the Magma Beasts against Combattler V and the Nanbara Connection. One of his hands is an oversized lobster-like pincer. After numerous defeats at the hands of Combattler V, Janera kills him by detonating a bomb inside his helmet.
The true leader of the Campbellians. After the coup d'etat which overthrew Janera's supporters on Campbell, he came to Earth to help rebuild the cities damaged by Janera's attacks.