"I don't have anything that I want or like. I don't wanna be anything or protect anything. If I say this to anyone, everyone gets mad, so I don't tell anyone."Yvienne is a beautiful girl from the poorest family in the kingdom's smallest village. She was forced to escape to the magic academy, Lowood, after the local count tried to marry her. There, her exceptional powers quickly gain the attention of her teacher and the kingdom at large. Despite her successes, though, she feels empty and doesn't understand why she has to live. Her field's element is the sky; time travel.
- The Ace: Smart, beautiful, powerfully magical, able to navigate complicated social situations with grace and aplomb. Pretty much everything comes easily to Yvienne.
- Broken Ace: She tends to be very apathetic and cynical due to being able to do things easily. Lari's death breaks her even more
- Break the Cutie: After Lariatte's death and her possession by Infinity (you know, the very thing that caused said death), her mental state goes downhill fast.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Yvienne will take time in the middle of fights to flirt with enemies or whoever's nearby. (like the battle with Countess Lightsphere)
- Country Mouse: A downplayed example. It's pretty clear that Yvienne is not an ordinary country girl and she takes to city life like a fish to water.
- Despair Event Horizon: Lariatte's death
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
- Death Seeker: After merging with Infinity, she focuses on trying to find a way to die, since that will kill Infinity as well and allow her to get revenge for Lariatte.
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Everyone Loves Blondes: The most popular girl in Lowood and it's a running joke that everyone she meets loves her (or hates her guts).
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble: The Apathetic to Lariatte's Realist, Daughter's Cynic and January's Optimist.
- Generation Xerox: Yvienne is nearly identical in terms of power, temperament and looks to her father Yuse Ine
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After Lariatte's death. The fact that she could have avoid it had she been by her side didn't help.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lariatte
- Light 'em Up: While Yvienne's powers are air and weather based, she manifests it as flashy light attacks (as befitting her showmanship nature). In particular, Morning Goldenring and Daylight Delight.
- Master of the Mixed Message: With Lari, to whom she combines effusive praise and declarations of being the most important person in her life with discussion of her romantic affection for Krohiten.
- Na´ve Newcomer
- Person of Mass Destruction: After merging with Infinity, she's powerful enough that Yuhee, who is roughly equally powerful, warns that a fight between the two of them could endanger the planet's star and result in the loss of about 3% of reality.
- Power Floats: And as of her merging with Infinity, it's permanent.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Once she's merged with Infinity, this happens whenever she really draws on his power. The oddity of it is lampshaded by a supporting character.
- Purple Eyes
- Revenge Before Reason: Merging with Infinity gives her nearly-infinite power... which she seeks to use to kill it / herself in order to get revenge for Lariatte.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Beautiful!: A mild example.
- While Yvienne says that she can get anything she wants by being beautiful, she actually uses her looks sparingly. Most of the time she's forced into random social situations (for example, she's a model student trotted out for events) and she uses her charisma and social grace as much as her beauty. Most of her accolades, she earns (like her entrance into Lowood or the Taskforce). The manga also refuses to downplay and excuse her faults.
- Seer: Hinted at. Yvienne's power is based on air which is connected to time travel and precognition.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Played with- she only ever jokingly complains about her beauty, and has no qualms about using it to her advantage whenever she has to, but others notice that because she's been able to get so much so easily with it, she doesn't know how to value anything.
- Stepford Smiler
- With Great Power Comes Great Perks: She doesn't care much about fighting monsters, but being a witch has done wonders for her social status.
- Averted after she merges with Infinity; she refuses to use the power for anything because it was used to kill Lariatte, which forces her to eke out a living via various terrible jobs despite being perhaps the most powerful person in the setting.
"I want to protect everyone. As much as my power can cover, including you."Lariatte is the youngest child and only daughter of a well-regarded family famous for their martial art abilities. She becomes Yvienne's familiar after she saves her from life-threatening situation. Her own magic powers are equally strong, and it's her commitment to helping others that inspires Yvienne to do the same. Her element of field is the water; dimension travel.
- Adorkable: In her more open moments. She's endearingly awkward and is compared to a dog.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Comes across as this though subverted. She's seems stoic and aloof but that's more due to her having zero social skills. Once Lari opens up, she's very vulnerable and honest.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: To contrast Yvienne's more apathetic and selfish nature.
- Declaration of Protection: Despite the fact that Yvienne's powers are just as great (if not greater than) her own, she still takes this stance time and time again.
- The Fettered
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble: The Realist to Yvienne's Apathetic, Daughter's Cynic and January's Optimist.
- Green Eyes: Though in some pictures, they're brown.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In volume 16, when she goes up against Infinity without Yvienne to get her out of her field.
- Revisited in volume 23 when she prevents Yvienne from saving her to protect the world
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yvienne
- Honor Before Reason
- I Just Want to Have Friends: She came to Lowood to separate herself from her all male family and make female friends.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Lariatte gets compared to knights and samurai a lot. At one point, Yvienne pictures her in knight's armor
- Making a Splash: Lari's field allows her to summon and control water. Mirror of the First Water allows her to dimension travel in a pool of water.
- The Ojou
- Shipper on Deck: Actively tries to get Yvienne and Krohiten together. Odd because she was pretty jealous of January and Yvienne though it might be that she learned from that spat.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Defrosted after she got to know Yvienne more
- Super Strength: It runs in the family.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Hands down the most heroic and unselfish character in the story. So of course she dies
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Lari lives and breathes this trope.
January Mycroft Lightsphere
"I must be able to stand alone. I must do everything by myself, no matter what it takes. If I can't do that... I'll die."January is a young duke and head of the Lightsphere family; a line of aristocrats with a dark history and even darker secrets. He meets Yvienne in the train to Newton, and is quickly established as the deuteragonist of the series. His magic is initially unknown, but is eventually revealed to be the power to kill anyone without exception just by speaking their name while inside his field.
- Actual Pacifist: It's partially his upbringing and partially he's frightened of his own power
- Bad Dreams: Though they get better with time.
- Bad Powers, Good People: A complete pacifist who never tries to fight but can kill people instantly
- Beware the Nice Ones: He invokes this at one point, but it's just a bluff and it exhausts him just to pretend to be threatening.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: One of his aunts turned into a vampire witch. The rest of his family plots and schemes and many go insane.
- Bi the Way: Has a crush on Yvienne early on, and later moves on and falls for Daughter instead.
- Driven to Suicide: A few times, but he's always stopped before he can go through with it.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble: The Optimist to Yvienne's Apathetic, Lariatte's Realist and Daughter's Cynic.
- Gray Eyes
- Guilt Complex
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He has one after he's told the nature of his magic power. Fortunately, Daughter and Krohiten manage to snap him out of it.
- I Know Your True Name: The way his power works.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Martyr Without a Cause: In his own words- "Rather than waiting to by killed, I want to give my life when it's needed. Can I not do that? Even if it's for something small?"
- Noble Fugitive: As of volume 14.
- Romantic Runner-Up: He ends up being this to Yvienne, but it's just as well since they decide they're Better as Friends anyway.
- The Stoic -> Not So Stoic / Adorkable
- Survivor Guilt
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: He lives in constant fear that this will eventually happen to him, as it did pretty much everyone else in his bloodline.
- The Wise Prince: Technically he's a duke, but other than that...
"Well~ As long as you're my roommate, I won't allow you to see anything harsh."Daughter is (technically) a student who at whose lived at Lowood since he was a child, despite never attending classes. Instead, he works as Krohiten's aide for everything from errands to investigating magic-based crimes. He was born a girl named Nicki Orenturn/Maggotte, and after the murder of his older sister/mother figure, he took part in an experiment to change his sex in exchange for a lifetime of care at the school.
- Boring but Practical: His ability 'Close', which lets him close doors from great distances away and seal off areas from magic, is certainly one of the least flashy spells, but it's a lifesaver.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble: The Cynic to Yvienne's Apathetic, Lariatte's Realist and January's Optimist.
- Gender Bender
- Gender-Blender Name: with good reason
- Green Eyes
- Half-Human Hybrid: Is Krohiten and Carola's daughter. Time travel shenanigans were involved.
- Hates Being Touched: A mild example, but still evident.
- Meaningful Rename: "Daughter" is one, as a way to constantly remind himself of his mission in life. After achieving it, he eventually starts going by December instead.
- My Greatest Failure: Putting into motion the events that led to the death of the only mother figure he's ever had.
- Only One Name: And we see why after we learn his backstory.
- Sarcastic Devotee: To Krohiten
- Secret Legacy: Is actually the son of Kroniten and Carola. Apparently, he teleported himself as a fetus out of her womb.
- Son of a Whore: Well, technically 'adopted daughter of a whore'.
- Time Master: His real power.
- Tsundere: Mostly at the beginning, but he never quite outgrows it, especially when January's involved.
"The more magic changes things, the greater the side effects become. Can you make that decision?"A professor at Lowood. He suffers from 'laziness disease' and can be calculating at times, but he cares very deeply for his students and humanity as a whole. His late wife is Carola Everett, the daughter of Marion Everett, who died hundreds of years prior to the start of the series. He is the Arc Dragon of the Heavens, and as such has the ability to see the future.
- Big Bad: A future version of him is the source of all the demons
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Cannot Tell a Lie: A trait of all Arc Dragons
- Elemental Embodiment: Of the Sky/Heavens
- Interspecies Romance / Mayfly-December Romance: With both Carola and, later on, Yvienne
- Oblivious to Love: He's pretty much the last person to realize the blooming relationship between him and Yvienne.
- Omniscient Morality License: His ability to see the future let him see the Bad Future of the world's death. It also lets him see potential means of averting it, which he pursues even if the cost to those around him can be frightfully high.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He is an Arc Dragons, meaning a shapeshifting God-like elemental embodiment.
- Really 700 Years Old
- Seer: As the Sky Dragon
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Though he always had at least some problems with handling others (e.g. Octavia), after contributing to Lariatte's death and the consequences thereof and then later becoming the Devil Dragon he becomes a lot more selfish emotionally.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Outliving Carola really hurt him.
Yujiya Octavia Etnas
"HA! What jealousy? I'm also a teacher here! I have my virtues and pride!"Another professor at the academy. She has unrequited feelings for Krohiten, despite already being engaged to another man. Secretly, she is the First Princess of the Kingdom and the only direct descendent of Marion Everett. As such, she doesn't need a familiar to use magic, and will one day marry the king for the purpose of bearing a daughter and continuing the bloodline.
- Arranged Marriage
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Though to be fair, she's aware of it and tries really hard not to be.
- Informed Ability: She's supposed to be one of the most powerful witches in the kingdom, but she never actually fights anyone.
- Queen Incognito
- Royal Blood
- Secret Keeper: She is one of the very few who knows that Krohiten is the Arc Dragon of the Heavens, and has been keeping the secret for most of her life.
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever
"Ah ah... boring things are happening."The presiding king. It's a figurehead position, but he's unsatisfied with his lack of power and wants to regain authority in the Kingdom. He's cold, sinister, and has a very bitter and spiteful relationship with Octavia. Later on, he develops a peculiar interest in January.
- Evil Counterpart: He's basically what January could have become if he let his awful childhood twist him.
- Evil Redhead
- Freudian Excuse: Because he was chosen to inherit the throne back when he was a child, he spent his entire life after that point being surrounded by enemies and watching anyone who tried to help him die.
- Kick the Dog: There were plenty of hints that the guy was no good, but raping Octavia was how we know he's evil. For some, this counts as his Moral Event Horizon.
- Another example occurs in volume 14, where he almost makes January kill someone in exchange for pardoning Daughter. January nearly has a mental breakdown, and Tenial just laughs at him.
- The very first time we see him, he says that he replaced a bird's egg with a serpent's, just to see it hatch and immediately kill its 'mother'. He then laughs it off as a joke... but if you watch closely later on, you see it happening in the background.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
The Earth Dragon/ Moriarty
- "We shouldn't have given humanity magic power. We shouldn't have taught them language. No, we should have just destroyed the humans when they first appeared on this planet, dammit."
- Ambiguously Evil
- Art Evolution: It's more obvious with him than it is any other character.
- Elemental Embodiment: Of the earth
- I Know Your True Name: Is done to him on the very pannel we learn said name, Moriarty.
- The Matchmaker: Attempts to be one for Yvienne and Krohiten
- No Name Given: And he intends to keep it that way. Which he succeeds, at least up to volume 20
- Not So Stoic: Although he doesn't care about humanity as a whole and puts up an uncaring facade in general, he goes into a rage when Lariatte dies and he realizes that Krohiten knew it was going to happen, revealing that he did care about Yvienne and Lariatte to an extent.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Our Dragons Are Different: He is an Arc Dragons, meaning a shapeshifting God-like elemental embodiment.
- Really 700 Years Old
InfinityA demon of infinite power sealed near the capital. Manifests as a large black figure-eight symbol floating in the sky, or as a black serpent.
- Blank Slate: Knows almost nothing at the start, although he learns more every time Yvienne draws on his power, and will eventually turn her into an empty shell if he becomes too independent.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Whenever he actually speaks, he comes across as innocent and playful, but he's powerful enough to destroy the world without intending to.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: As are all demons in this story.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Sealed long ago. Possibly not evil, but since he has the potential to destroy the world, it's the same thing. Lariatte gives her life to seal him again. And it doesn't even stick.
- Super-Deformed: Usually appears as a cute little black snake when he talks to Yvienne and her companions while possessing her.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Becomes this for Yvienne after he possesses her, although strictly speaking he's not 'evil' so much as alien.
- Symbiotic Possession: With Yvienne, although it is implied it could become Demonic Possession if he learns too much.
- Walking Spoiler: Completely changes the direction of the plot when he appears.