Characters: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Here are the characters of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Due to the divergent development of both the light novel and the anime, differences are highlighted.
Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
(Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
Back in middle school, Yuuta was himself a victim of "Chuunibyou Syndrome", fancying himself as the "Dark Flame Master", a goth guy clad in black who can wield dark-purple flames. Nowadays, though, he'd rather disassociate himself from it, which caused him to become stigmatized, thus come high school he moves away far enough to where his old classmates cannot find him. But his past still comes back to haunt him, one way or another, when he meets a girl still suffering from chuunibyou... who proceeds to blow his cover.
A strange girl who wears a medical eyepatch over her right eye and has just moved into Yuuta's apartment building upstairs with her older sister Touka. Unlike Yuuta, Rikka indulges in her delusions even well into high school in the form of "The Wicked Eye", a goth-loli who wields a weaponized umbrella.
- Adorkable: As a result of her small and cuddly appearance awkwardly contrasting with her delusions of grandeur.
- Alternate Character Reading: "Takanashi" means "little birds playing" as written and "no hawks" as pronounced.
- Badass Adorable: While the "badass" part is certainly illusory, she definitely fits into the "adorable" half.
- Bandage Babe: Besides an Eyepatch of Power, Rikka also wraps her left arm with bandages.
- Break the Cutie: Her dad's death had a traumatic impact on her, thus watching Yuuta and later creating her "Wicked Eye" persona is her coping mechanism. Gets broken again at the end of episode 10 where the last support she has for her delusions, Yuuta, suddenly turns on her and tries to make her face reality right before they were supposed to perform at the school festival and not even a day after they had confessed to each other.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Featured in Christmas OVA (Season 1, Episode 13) when she becomes drunk after eating three pieces of alcohol-laced chocolate cake.
- Chastity Couple: With Yuuta
- Contralto of Danger: In both English and Japanese dubs, she uses a deeper voice whenever she enters "chuuni" mode. This is more noticeable in English than in Japanese though. Her natural speaking voice is relatively high-pitched though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She starts to exhibit these traits once Satone, an old friend of Yuuta's, shows up in season 2, and gets a little too friendly with him.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Looks at the world through the lens of her fantasies in a near-constant basis.
- Cry Cute
- Does Not Like Shoes: Downplayed in comparison with most Cloudcuckoolander examples, but she seems to be perfectly okay with leaving her house without shoes during her night escapades.
- Does Not Like Spam: Hates red fruit, especially tomatoes which she considers poisonous.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Suits herself up as one whenever her chuuni is in full swing.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Rikka is frankly terrible at it. While she lucks out in the anime due to the class average being lower than usual, in the light novels she has to retake the exams at least thrice, and passes none, with her highest being 30/100.
- Expy: of Mei Misaki, except being cuter rather than creepier.
- Eyepatch of Power: Rikka thinks her eyepatch is a seal to her "Evil Eye".
- Fast Roping: Commonly uses this to go to Yuuta's apartment, which is directly below hers.
- First Love: Yuuta
- Girlish Pigtails: Only on the left side.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a yellow ribbon on her left pigtail, and black in her Elegant Gothic Lolita setup.
- Idiot Hair: Also an expressive one. She considers her "antenna hair" to be her most attractive feature.
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Yuuta after her sister moves out and her grandfather loses the apartment.
- Insecure Love Interest: Becomes one anytime she sees Satone around Yuuta during season 2. Doesn't help that Satone is also particularly aggressive in showing off her feelings towards him.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Keeps a gray cat called "Chimera", and attaches pink angel wings and a snake to it. Touka, who is allergic to cats, refuses to let her keep it in their room. Yuuta is taking care of it.
- Love Epiphany: Has one in episode 9, which is helped along by Shinka.
- Magical Eye: Only in her delusions. But she does wear a colored contact lens under her eye-patch.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: For Yuuta.
- Ms Imagination: Through and through.
- Numerical Theme Naming: "Rikka" means "six flowers", going along with her sister's name.
- Parasol of Pain: Her Weapon of Choice, stored in a gun holster strapped on her left thigh.
- Parental Abandonment: Her and Touka's father died three years ago, and their mother left them with their grandparents.
- Red Baron: The Wicked Eye.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Touka's blue and blue to Sanae's red.
- The Rival: Becomes one to Satone in the second novel/season 2.
- Unexpected Inheritance: In the light novels, Rikka supposedly inherited her "evil eye" from her father before he died.
- Verbal Tic: A dopey but enthusiastic "Ooooh!!" whenever she sees something she finds cool.
- When She Smiles: Weapon-Grade◊ Adorable.◊
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rikka is a Grade A.
A beautiful, chuunibyou-hating girl in Yuuta's class who is also a transferee. In the anime, her attitude is explained as the result of her desperate attempts to erase all traces of her past as a chuunibyou herself, having went by the name "Mori Summer", a medium and writer of the "Mabinogion", her journal of faux-philosophical rants currently in Sanae's possession.
Anime-exclusive character. A sweet kid and Yuuta's upperclassman who's quick to fall asleep.
Anime-exclusive character. A kid from the school's middle-grade department. Like Rikka, whom she met on the internet, Sanae also suffers from chuunibyou. She takes on the form of "Mjolnir Maul", a mid-range fighter who uses her long bola-resembling twintails to fight - which more often than not serve as hindrance rather than help. In the world of delusions, she then "switches over" to a gigantic hammer.
- Ambiguously Gay: At the beginning of episode 10, when Rikka hugs her, she blushes and considers the thought of Rikka having feelings for her. The Christmas Special OVA witnesses her talking in her sleep while having an erotic dream about her "Master" Rikka. She expresses despair while buzzed over Shinka not taking her interaction with her seriously. The Accidental Kiss between Shinka and her at the end of the episode begins recurrent homoerotic theme regarding them.
- Badass Adorable: Like Rikka, the "badass" part is debatable, the "adorable" part undeniable.
- Big Fancy House: Revealed in the Bluray-exclusive Episode 13.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Break the Cutie: She doesn't take the not-Chuunibyou Rikka well.
- Canon Foreigner
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Featured in Christmas OVA (Season 1, Episode 13) when she becomes drunk after eating three pieces of alcohol-laced chocolate cake.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gets upset in episode 13 during the Christmas party because of the fact that Rikka and Yuuta are dating, and is drunk from alcohol-laced chocolate cake. And early on in season 2, doesn't take it too well that the two are living together due to Rikka losing her apartment. She also gets upset at Satone for getting too close to Shinka in episode 11 of season 2.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She has shades of this from time to time, but is actually quite intelligent as well.
- Covert Pervert: She goes beet red when wondering if Rikka and Yuuta are doing anything naughty, as suggested by Shinka.
- Crazy-Prepared: Well aware that the Mabinogion she's keeping can be destroyed, so she keeps copies. Online ones, that is.
- Ditzy Genius: Despite being so deep in her delusions, she's still the top student in her grade. Yuuta and Shinka were utterly surprised.
- Does Not Like Spam: Hates any dairy products. And Shinka really takes advantage of that!
- Drop the Hammer: Her "weapon" once her chuunibyou goes into full power.
- Epic Fail: (See Hoist By Her Own Petard below)
- Erotic Dream: In the OVA, she has an erotic dream about her and "Master" (Rikka).
- Expecting Someone Taller: Refuses to acknowledge Shinka as the girl behind "Mori Summer" because the former was expecting the messenger of love, not the jaded high-schooler desperate to purge her past delusions. Well, until episode 4 of Ren, when she recognized Mori Summer's hand bangle as seen online is the same as the one the latter photographed with Satone.
- First Kiss: Accidental Kiss with Shinka Nibutani in Christmas OVA.
- Genki Girl: Tends to get overly excited around Rikka.
- Girlish Pigtails: Which she attempts to weaponize by turning them into bolas, though she usually just ends up getting tangled up in them.
- Great Big Book of Everything: Mabinogion, a tome she "received" from a certain "Forest Summer" — what Shinka used to be.
- Green Eyes
- Hero-Worshipper: Worships "Mori Summer", author of the "Mabinogion".
- Hime Cut: During her de-chunnibyou state.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: The usual result of using her improvised bolas is accidentally tying herself up.
- Or, in episode 10, she actually have difficulty walking as... she increased the mass of her bolas weight 4 times.
- In episode 4 of Ren, she manages to successfully attack Nibutani, only to knock herself out when she inadvertently yanks Nibutani in to her.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses her twintails, which end in improvised bolas, as her weapons.
- Last Name Basis: Seemed to prefer to be called by last name, even among her classmates.
- Ms Imagination: In the same magnitude as Rikka.
- Older Than She Looks: She is just 143cm (4'8") tall.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Invoked; she wears them only when trying to read the Mabinogion.
- Parody Sue: Is rich and intelligent but lacks common sense.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Baron: Mjolnir Maul
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Rikka's blue.
- Secretly Wealthy: In episode 12, Kumin mentions that Deko drove them. Cue them panning to a Mercedes-looking car with a stern looking M.I.B. next to it. Then the club goes to her house for a Christmas party in episode 13, and she lives in a really large one...
- She Cleans Up Nicely: No one recognizes her, but she actually turns out to be pretty good-looking when she has her hair down and acts like a normal person.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: With Shinka.
- The Gadfly: She really enjoys irritating Yuuta and Shinka about their Old Shame.
- Third-Person Person: Sometimes talks like this.
- Verbal Tic: Vocalizes the word "desu" to sound like "death"note .
- She changes to "desu yo" after Yuuta brutally lectures her on reality.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Ingesting milk or any milk-based food item will stop her in her tracks.
Yuuta's first friend in his new high school, who has a habit of profiling all the girls in their class.
- Ambiguously Brown: The final episode of season 2 makes him look literally black.
- Anime Hair: Blond and spiky in the first episode of the second season of the anime.
- The Atoner: In Episode 6, he shaved off his head and took the heat for the other guys in Class 1-4 for taking polls of the girls. This is to maintain some kind of desirability among the girls.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He seems to fall in love with Kumin because the latter found his now bald head interesting to the touch.
- Bromantic Foil
- Butt Monkey: While most of the main characters are unlucky, Isshiki is arguably the unluckiest. For example, the poor fellow's attempts at wooing Kumin with the later never noticing one bit. Even better, when he finally does confess in episode 10, it's on a stage in front of the entire school, unfortunately she was asleep at the time.
- While Yuuta will give the girls a smack or chop every so often, when it comes to Isshiki, he pulls out all the stops and just wails on him. It comes to a peak at episode 10, where the poor guy gets kicked in the face, his head slammed into the floor multiple times, and comboed.
- This gets even worse in Ren, where he also loses the little relevance he had and everyone forgets who he is.
- Casanova Wannabe: If his hobby of profiling girls is any indication.
- Hopeless Suitor: Towards Kumin, although that doesn't stop him from trying.
- Love Confession: He gives one to Kumin in episode 10, but the latter was sleeping at the time.
- Love Letter Lunacy: He gets one at one point, and Shinka seems to verify that it came from a girl. However, due to him dropping his diary on the list of girls ranked by their cuteness, the boys in their class get in trouble with the girls for it, and he takes the blame, partly because it was his notebook, and partly because he wanted to look cool by taking the heat and punishment. As a result of it however, whoever wrote that letter understandably doesn't show up at the meeting place in the letter, although he's instead greeted by all the boys who worship him for taking the blame.
- Important Haircut/Traumatic Haircut: He promised to shave his head bald as gesture of apology to Class 1-4 when his girl-ranking book was discovered. Turns out he doesn't want to go through with it, but is pestered by Shinka about his vow. Poor guy isn't happy at all, especially considering he had to deal with being bald for the past three years, and fears he will end up Prematurely Bald like his father. However, said trauma is minimized when Kumin pats his head due to not being able to resist touching his now bald head.
- No Sense of Personal Space: At times he gets uncomfortably close to Yuuta. He also laid his head on the latter's shoulder, and immediately earns a couple of hits from it as a result due to Yuuta finding another guy doing that to him incredibly creepy.
- Out of Focus: While he never had a lot of screentime in the anime in the first place, he's almost invisible by season 2.
- Prematurely Bald: His father suffered from this (completely bald by 35) and he thinks he'd be the next according to his genes.
Homeroom teacher for Yuuta, Rikka and Makoto's class.
- Hot Teacher: Why of course, complete with Kikuko Inoue to voice her.
- Genre Savvy: When Rikka attempts to use Gratuitous English as a loophole to have a "fifth" member joining their club, Nanase plays along, and speaks a lot of english as well. However, Rikka is unable to comprehend some of the words the latter uses, so pretends that said split personality went back. And since the "fifth" member isn't there anymore, she says they can't use that excuse to form their club.
- Meaningful Name: Her surname can be read as "99". May or may not count as a Casting Gag, considering one of her voice actress' roles as Carmen99.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She allows Rikka to form her club on the condition that they clean up a room. Although it takes a while due to the girls goofing off more than clean, she upholds her end of the deal and lets them form a club despite not having five human members at the time.
- Smarter Than You Look: Of course, being a teacher, she's intelligent, but Yuuta notes that she can be quite cunning, as shown when she plays along with Rikka's delusions while the latter submitted her club formation form for her "Eastern Magical Nap Association".
Voiced by: Yuri Amano
(Japanese), Beth Lazarou (English)
Mother of Yuuta, Kuzuha and Yumeha.
Yuuta's younger sister and a seventh-grade schoolgirl.
- The Bus Came Back: Returns at the end of episode 1.
- A Day in the Limelight: Lite Episode 3, where she is accompanied by Yuuta (then still assuming his "Dark Flame Master" persona) while meeting a friend late at night.
- Green Eyes
- Only Sane Girl: During Yuuta's days as the "Dark Flame Master", particularly her focus episode in Lite Episode 3.
- Put on a Bus: Moves overseas with her parents and little sister some time before Ren
- Sailor Fuku
- Supreme Chef: Her cooking is implied to be really good, especially in episode 9 of season 2 when she helps out at a beach restaurant owned by Kumin's aunt.
Voiced by: Mami Shitara (Japanese), Ashley Miller (English)
Yuuta and Kuzuha's youngest sister and a five-year-old preschooler.
Voiced by: Eri Sendai
(Japanese), Genevieve Simmons (English)
Anime-exclusive character. Rikka's older sister and a professional cook, with whom she has a not-so-good relationship, owing to the fact that she mostly serves as the serious foil to her insane antics.
- Alliterative Name
- Aloof Big Sister: Invoked and Lampshaded by her.
- Arguably a Deconstruction. Her aloofness results from her inability to handle her sister very well and her own emotional problems. As a result, she ends up hurting her sister more than helping when it comes to her time of need. Even she realizes this herself, and often asks Yuuta for help.
- Canon Foreigner
- The Comically Serious
- Crazy-Prepared: Who would've thought she's keeping a clip of one of Yuuta's "Dark Flame Master" rants?
- Also, in Episode 7 she rigs the outside of the house with a trap because she predicted Rikka's escape attempt.
- The Cynic: Her attempts to bring Rikka back to reality has knocked any and ALL sense of wonder and romanticism towards life clean out of her; so much so that she sees nothing wrong with teaching innocent children the harsh realities of broken family life while playing house.
- Establishing Character Moment: Her first conversation with Yuuta, she described Rikka's delusions as problematic, forced her to get rid of the cat (to be fair, she has allergies) and blackmails Yuuta into taking care of it.
- Hero Killer: Played for Laughs, try as they might Rikka and co. can't land a finger on her.
- Idiot Hair
- Improbable Weapon User: A ladle, which she can use with implausible skill both as a melee weapon and a projectile. (In Rikka's delusions, it's an gigantic ice-cream scoop.)
- Iron Chef
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's abrasive, rude, cynical, and hurtful, but she really does have good intentions. She tries to help her sister, just not in the nicest ways.
- Knight of Cerebus: A non-villainous example. Despite being Comically Serious, her arrival is often a sign that things are going to become sadder, as she tries repeatedly to bring Rikka back into reality, however harsh it may be.
- Numerical Theme Naming: Her given name means "ten flowers".
- Parental Abandonment: Like Rikka.
- Plot Allergy: Towards cats, so she coerces Yuuta to take "Chimera" in.
- Promotion to Parent: After Rikka moves into her apartment.
- Slave Collar: She wears one for no particular reason.
- Straight Man
- Supreme Chef: Rikka may not like Touka much, but at least she appreciates her cooking.
- In episode 10, it was revealed she would be sent to "the head restaurant in Italy" for training.
Voiced by: Juri Nagatsuma (Japanese)
Appears in the second light novel and the second season of anime. Yuuta's chuuni friend from middle school who suddenly moved away. Yuuta mentions that she's probably the reason he got infected with chuunibyou. Unlike Yuuta and Shinka, who have been cured from chuunibyou, and Rikka, who is infected but is unaware that she has the disease, Satone is completely aware that she is infected and is loving every moment of it.
Her chuuni persona is Sofia Ring SP Saturn the 7th, or Sofia-chan, the Magical Demon Duchess.
- Childhood Friend Romance: It's pretty obvious when she shows up in season 2 that she liked Yuuta back in middle school. Especially considering they hung out and did the chuunibyou schtick together. Once she realizes that he forgot a lot about her, such as the arcade token, as well as dating Rikka, she becomes an Unlucky Childhood Friend.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Invoked!
- Fille Fatale: Tries to be one once when she drops her skirt in front of Yuuta. She mentions that she was disappointed when he didn't want to look.
- Genki Girl: Unbelievably.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Green-Eyed Monster: Revealed to be her motivation for kidnapping Rikka and forcing Yuuta to play a game with her to get her back.
- That only applies in the light novels, however. In the anime, she's perfectly fine with everything. Until episode 10 anyway...
- Hopeless Suitor: While she didn't have a chance anyway due to Yuuta dating Rikka by the time she shows up in season 2, she realizes she's fallen into this trope by episode 11 of season 2 after seeing how determined he was to find Rikka despite the latter being sick and still looking for the MacGuffin written in his notebook.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In episode 7 of season 2, she runs into Yuuta and Rikka during their field trip. After some mishap involving a monkey and her lost purse, Rikka sees her giving a coin to Yuuta, and runs off. After Satone realizes Yuuta forgot the meaning of the coin, she then attempts to make her peace with Rikka by claiming that he belonged to the latter, and that she would stay as a chuunibyou, and messages Yuuta so that he could find where Rikka was so they could spend the end of the day together alone.
- Love Epiphany: She tells Rikka about the first time she felt hers in episode 7 of season 2. She realized that she was starting to fall in love with Yuuta, and started to see the chuunibyou as foolishness, kind of like how he was at the start of the series going into high school. However, because he was still a hardcore chuuni at the time, she put up with it to be close with him until she moved away. Once she realized that he forgot a lot about her, and that she was inadvertently causing strife in Rikka and his relationship, she decides to gracefully step out.
- Love Hurts: In episode 9 of season 2, she feels a tinge in her heart after helping Rikka renew her "powers". And in episode 10, several of the other girls confront her about her feelings towards him at the request of Touka. Then she asks some questions directly to Yuuta, and despite her reassurances of being resilient, his answers seem to knock her off her feet. And just when she thought she got over it, he runs back and offers her an umbrella, causing her to lash out at him and runs off.
- Love Triangle: Involved in one with Yuuta and Rikka.
- Magical Girl: What her chuuni persona seems to invoke.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Someone had to step in and screw with Yuuta's life.
- Ms Imagination: Of course. Although this is an invoked case as she takes fun in it.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: A non-lethal example. She kidnaps Rikka in the second novel and makes Yuuta play a game with her where they have to break up if she wins.
- New Transfer Student: She transfers in to Yuuta and Rikka's school and class at the end of the second novel so that she can fight against Rikka, over various things.
- No Sense of Direction: Lampshaded by Yuuta in episode 7 of Ren.
- Signature Laugh: NYAHAHAHA!
- The Tease: She loves doing this to Yuuta, and usually in the presence of Rikka, causing the latter to display some Clingy Jealous Girl emotions.
- Verbal Tic: Somehow, she has a tendency to stick in ☆ into her sentences.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: She suffers from this twice. Once when she and Yuuta were hanging out together, and later on when she moves into the apartment above his where Rikka stayed in the first season. She was somewhat unaware of why she felt this way until Shinka points it out to her, who only suspected it thanks to Touka having a hunch.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Appears to be a grade A. Could be Grade S if she would be a Tsundere.