Characters appearing in Chihayafuru
open/close all folders
- Big Sister Worship: Chitose Ayase is the prettiest girl in the world, and don't you dare tell Chihaya otherwise.
- Book Dumb: Chihaya notes herself that she is ranked twelfth from the bottom of her class.
- Boyish Short Hair: In her childhood.
- Cheerful Child
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Sings the ending.
- Dude Magnet: Subverted. She would be one due to her looks, but men are usually driven off by her personality.
- Lampshaded in the episode 16 when the male members of the club decide which one of their female collegues they'd rather have as a girlfriend. When Nishida and Komano declare Chihaya 'out of question' Taichi is upset... but after they present their arguments (Chihaya being Married to the Job and a maniac about karuta) he sees no option but to admit they're right and gives off his vote to Kana-chan too.
- Genki Girl
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: The athletic one.
- The Heroine
- Hot-Blooded: She is very dedicated to playing karuta and will make very sure that everyone around her knows it.
- Nice Girl
- The Nicknamer
- Oblivious to Love
- Love Epiphany: In the last episode of the second series. Concerning Arata.
- The Pollyanna: Especially as a child. Always believes in the best of people, in cases of Taichi and her own sister usually incorrectly.
- Taichi's mom on the other hand scares the crap out of her.
- She's All Grown Up
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With her sister
- Super Senses: Her hearing.
- Sweet Tooth: It's a ritual for her to stuff herself with chocolate after a match.
- Tomboy: With Kana-chan or Chitose as girly girls of her.
- The Unfavorite: Subverted as her parents seem to come off as uncaring toward her at first when they seem to have endless picture albums of her older sister and her modeling career, but it turns out that they're overjoyed at the fact the can collect newspaper clippings of both their daughters. Chihaya's only just started.
- Except that they ignore her when she wins her first karuta tournament (which is probably her first big success) in favor of Chitose's photo-shoot.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She's incredibly fast, but has no technique. In episode 17, both Tsutomu and Kana-chan point out her weaknesses, which actually pulls her out of her Heroic BSOD after Harada-sensei points out to her the problem of relying over much on speed. In episode 18, it's all but spelled out to her why her over reliance on her speed and sharp ears isn't the best way to play.
- Buxom Is Better: She is also a Nice Girl and is shown as getting approval as the most attractive dating candidate from all of the club members (quite begrudgingly from Taichi's side).
- The Chick: Her love of the hundred poems is what draws her to the karuta club in the first place, and she seems to read the others' feelings pretty well.
- Foil: First to Chihaya, later to Sumire as well.
- Gainaxing: In episode 17 during the relay race. Cheers from the male crowd were extra loud when it was her turn to run.
- Girlish Pigtails: Funnily enough, she's probably the most mature person on the team.
- In-Series Nickname: Kana-chan.
- Serious Business: Traditional Japanese clothing to the point where she joins the club on the condition that they start wearing hakamas. She gets it from her mom.
- The actual hundred poems as well. She takes it as a personal affront to be berated on her card arrangement by Nishida when he doesn't know any more about the cards than how he arranges them for ease of play compared to her, who knows them all by heart.
- Shipper on Deck: She's very supportive of the prospect of Taichi and Chihaya being together, even despite having sympathy for Sumire and realizing that Chihaya likes Arata.
- Silk Hiding Steel
- Team Mom: Has motherly moments with almost everyone on Mizusawa. Provides encouragement and scolding when necessary.
- Weak, but Skilled
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Her goal. In fact she is one, but she sets the bar higher, requiring wearing traditional clothes and mastering classical poetry for the ideal.
Voiced by: Tooru Nara
- Big Eater: In episode 11 of Season 2, he ordered several dishes of curry rice to quell his frustrations. Chihaya did not think she would find him in the cafeteria as he had consumed three bento boxes before then.
- Big Fun
- The Big Guy: One of the most experienced members on the team as well as the guy to go to for information on matches and competitors.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Hidden Depths: You wouldn't take that mean, chubby kid met in grade school tournament seriously, but after years he proves himself as a decent player, valuable team member and, despite his appearance, a guy athletic enough to win a relay race for his team.
- In-Series Nickname: Nikuman/Porky.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Rival: Sees himself as this to Taichi and actually is more than a threat to him.
A freshman who joins the Karuta club in order to get close to Taichi.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Akihiro, occasionally.
- Brutal Honesty: She makes no secret of the fact that she isn't interested in karuta and only joined because of Taichi, and is generally pretty straight-forward (much to Kanade's horror).
- Foil: To both Chihaya and Kanade.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hidden Depths: She's less shallow than she initially appears and is capable of understanding beauty of the Hundred Poems actually quicker than most of her teammates.
- Love Freak
- Sempai Kouhai: To the original club members.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Joined the club to meet Taichi.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: She views herself as the "main character" of a shoujo series due to her slightly above average looks, plus having a beautiful rival to defeat for her love interest's affections. Just as well, she first becomes interested in joining the karuta club because the one-hundred poems are a collection of love poems.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Thinks she's the main character of a Shoujo series.
Another freshman and new member of the Karuta club.
- Big Brother Worship: The object of one.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Sumire, occasionally.
- Eyes Always Shut: Though when he opens them he instinctively licks his lips creeping people out.
- Glory Hound: To his credit, this trait makes him try harder to improve... and occasionally, cheat.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He's sure of winning a game in the tournament despite not winning any during the practice, to the point of trying to swindle with a list of his team players' names. Given the chance, he loses. Several matches later he tries this trick a second time... in the finals.
Voiced by: Takashi Oohara
The head of Shiranani Society and is also a doctor.
Hiroshi Tsuboguchi is karuta Class A player, and the ace player of Shiranami Karuta Society.
The coach of the Fujisaki Karuta club. She played for the title of Queen five times, though she never won.
The captain of the Fujisaki team and an A Class player. Serious-looking and even perceived by Taichi as similar to Arata, but his personality is in reality quite different
. A third year student.
- Covert Pervert: Well, not exactly covert (his whole school knows the fact), but to the strangers he looks like a calm, seious type, so it comes off as a surprise.
- Has a Type: And the type has big boobs. Eromu has hots for Sakurazawa-sensei, took an interest in Kana and regretted deeply that he couldn't play against her "lovely jugs". And the reason of his lack of interest in Rion? Oh come on, she has breasts of an infant.
- Hot for Teacher
- In-Series Nickname: Eromu. Guess why.
- Stoic Glasses
Another Class A player, a third-year and a very self-aware Bishounen
A second year student and the granddaughter of Certified Karuta reader Kyouko.
- Big Eater
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't seem to notice Makoto's crush on her. Or care about it.
- Shadow Archetype: Of Chihaya, playing style-wise. She basically has Chihaya's talent and good game sense, but a lack of stamina and psychical strength makes her weaker.
- The Stoic: Rarely shows her emotions.
- Stoic Woobie: Bullied and discouraged by most of her schoolmates, stuck in Class B...
Other prominent karuta players
The current and youngest Queen of Karuta
- Adorkable: Despite being a beautiful, aloof epitome of Lady of War in karuta for most of the time, Shinobu's love for Snowmaru, her fashion senses and tendency to make weird facial expressions at times (probably most notably during her first on-screen encounter with Arata) make her cross into this territory.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Beautiful, distant and known as the Queen… ninety percent of the time.
- Always Someone Better
- Being Good At Karuta Equals Isolation: How it went in her childhood and affects her view on team play now.
- Beauty Mark: Behind her left eye.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Her obsession with Snomaru apparel.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Treats this way her matches with Sudo and Yumi Yamamoto. Taken to ridiculous level in the second case, because Yamamoto is the former Queen, whom Shinobu was playing previously exactly at the occasion of taking the title from her.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: All of her Karuta battles has been this except vs Arata.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After several episodes of talking about group tournament with contempt, she eventually (under Arata's influence) decides to watch it's finals.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Arata in a sense. Explored; they turn out to have had a karuta history together (and Arata used to always win against her).
- Fat Girl/Formerly Fit: When she shows up in the Queen Qualifier, much to everyone's shock.
- Formerly Fat:Though she seems to have gone back to her original weight between seasons. Chihaya reveals that the Snomaru ice treats she loved went out of production.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Magnificent ones.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Perpetual Smiler
- Politeness Judo: "The Kyoto's women's temper" seems to contain greatly of this.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She seems to share Haruhi Suzumiya's views about changing in front of boys. Of course, being Shinobu, she wears a Snowmaru underwear more fitting for a 6-year-old.
- Slasher Smile: When she's really excited.
- Smug Smiler
- Smug Super: in a sense being the Queen of Karuta. She goes on and on berating team tournaments, karuta societies and basically almost everyone, whose level or potential in the game she sees as inferior.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: A few times because she's so quiet.
- Stealth Insult: 'Kyoto's woman's temper' again. Quite prone to this, especially towards people engaged in team tournaments.
- Worthy Opponent: Played with. Take an interest in Chihaya despite only losing five cards to her since Chihaya is one of the only opponents she's faced who never gives up in the middle of the game until Shinobu had won the match. Also definitely has this attitude toward Arata.
The former Queen of Karuta after losing to Shinobu.
A college student and the current Meijin. He's been holding this title 4 years in a row.
- Bishounen: Quite good-looking...
- Book Dumb: He's the king of Karuta, but he's stuck for eight years in college (to the point, where all the karuta officials beg him to graduate already) and he doesn't come off as an intellectual type in general.
- Which might be a case of Brilliant but Lazy, because later it's revealed that he's a Toudai student.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Played with. We first encounter him as an incredibly strong karuta player, who's holding the Meijin title for several years... and sometime later we can have a glimpse of his personality.
- Man Child: Gives off that impression when he's not in a karuta Bad Ass mode. He even (at age of about 26) picks a childish crush on a schoolgirl Chihaya.
- Spear Counterpart: To Chihaya, in terms of playing karuta and school work.
- Super Senses: His hearing ability is so remarkable that he can catch the sound before it barely leaves the reader's lips.
- The Unfavorite: In karuta environment. At least in the eyes of the officials, who consider him a bad role model and generally can't stand him to the point of willing to bend tournament's rules for Arata, so he has a bigger chance to replace Suou someday.
A student at the First Akashi's Girls Highschool.
Yuusei's elder sister.