Rudolph Bartholomew "Rudy" Tabootie
The main protagonist of the show. In the original Oh Yeah! Cartoons
shorts, he was eight years old when he first discovered ChalkZone by finding a piece of magic chalk in his classroom. Come the show, he is now ten years old, and continues to have adventures in ChalkZone.
- Art Attacker: His main weapon is a piece of magic chalk, which can bring whatever he draws to life.
- Badass Adorable: He's only a kid, but his magic chalk enables him to accomplish many heroic feats.
- Embarrassing First Name: Rudolph.
- Green Eyes
- The Hero: He is the main protagonist and does everything he can to help out the people of ChalkZone.
- Idiot Hero: A mild example. He isn't stupid, but prone to carelessness.
- Kid Hero: He's in the 5th grade and has the responsibility of protecting ChalkZone.
- Kids Are Cruel: Well to Mr. Wilter, but mainly averted.
- The Kirk: He balances the differing attitudes of Penny and Snap.
- Nice Guy: He really enjoys helping people out and gets worried when his friends have problems.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Some of the problems that happen in ChalkZone are his fault. Other times he stumbles onto something and does his best to help.
- Puppy Love: He's got an obvious crush on Penny.
- Save the Villain: Rudy has had to bail out Reggie Bullnerd several times when he got the blame for something Rudy did.
- Took a Level in Badass: Drawing wise, Rudy's first ever drawing was Blocky in 1st grade. 2nd grade? He made an old woman in a bathtub and by fifth grade, his mom stated that it took him only four weeks for the newspaper to get his comics published whereas the mom took four years for a single article.
- Vocal Evolution: His voice was higher in the Oh Yeah! shorts than it was in the series.
Penelope Victoria "Penny" Sanchez
Rudy's friend/love interest. She is a studious ten-year old girl who was introduced to the world of ChalkZone when Reggie Bullnerd erased her scientific formula, and Rudy took her into ChalkZone in an attempt to get it back. Since then, she's often accompanied Rudy on his misadventures.
- Adorkable: She is very smart and also nice.
- Ambiguously Brown: Penny appears to be Latina as shown by her name, skin tone, and the fact she apparently knows Spanish. But it's never really stated or explicitly shown.
- Badass Adorable: Like Rudy, she is a likable child and has done her share of saving ChalkZone.
- Catchphrase: "This is unacceptable!" (Rather ironic considering a future role Hynden would later work on).
- The Chick
- Child Prodigy: She is very intelligent. In some cases, one would wonder how she's still in the same class as Rudy.
- Cute Bookworm: She likes reading books.
- Deadpan Snarker: She sometimes makes cutting remakrs about the weirdness of ChalkZone.
- Face-Heel Turn: In "Chalk Queen", Skrawl captures her and convinces her to join forces with him, as since Rudy didn't help her with her homework, they both have a bone to pick with him. (That, and Skrawl threatened to feed her homework to a dog.)
- Fake Defector: It was all just a ruse to get Skrawl to trust her enough to give her access to the magic chalk and help Rudy defeat him.
- Fang Thpeak: She has this kind of impediment for no visible reason.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses.
- Nice Girl: Like Rudy, she is a decent human being.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue oni to Snap's red.
- Secret Keeper: After she found out about ChalkZone, she swore to keep it a secret.
- Slouch of Villainy: The first shot of her as the "Chalk Queen" has her sitting like this◊ on her throne.
- The Smart Girl: She tends to be the brains of the team.
- The Spock: She is the group's intellectual.
A superhero-like zoner created by Rudy when he was eight years old. When Rudy entered ChalkZone, he discovered Snap and the two have gone on adventures as close friends. There are times when Snap entered the real word, either on purpose, or dragged there by being kidnapped.
The most recurring antagonist on the show. Skrawl was originally going to be a birthday gift by Rudy to a kid at a birthday party, but Reggie Bullnerd and his friends ruined it, and Rudy erased him into ChalkZone. Ever since then, Skrawl has blamed Rudy for his grotesque appearance, and constantly schemes to bring him down.
- Big Bad: He is the most frequently recurring antagonist.
- Card-Carrying Villain: "I'm evil, get it?"
- Create Your Own Villain: Subverted, Rudy didn't really draw him, nor did he know at the time that Skrawl would come to life, let alone become evil.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Has this look in his debut episode when Rudy tries to fix him. though he fits more into the Evil Genius variety.
- Disproportionate Retribution: His entire reason for wanting revenge on Rudy is for drawing him the way he is, something Rudy didn't even do.
- Leitmotif: His appearances are sometimes accompanied by an instrumental version of his Villain Song.
- Meaningful Name: He was scrawled onto a chalkboard.
- Pet the Dog: Surprisingly enough, a Freeze-Frame Bonus near the end of the music video "Let's Go Wandering" has him waving goodbye to the ChalkZone gang, rather than attacking them like he usually does.
- Supervillain Lair: A castle on top of a giant cactus.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Even after Rudy tried to fix his appearance in his debut episode, he decided to drop everyone to their doom anyway.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show: Episodes featuring him tend to be a lot more serious.
- Villain Song: 'Skrawl's Song' and it's reprises.
- Vocal Evolution: His voice sounds more like Pete in the episodes after his debut, whereas he sounded more like Cat in his debut episode.
- We Can Rule Together: "With your talent, and my ambitions, we can rule ChalkZone as king and queen!"
Reginald Clark "Reggie" Bullnerd
- The Bully: He always picks on other kids.
- Butt Monkey: He quite often gets humiliated as a result of Rudy's actions.
- The Chew Toy: His humiliation is satisfying because he otherwise isn't punished for his bullying.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He is very eccentric at times.
- The Ditz: He apparently thinks that cow is spelled k-o-w.
- Dumb Muscle: While lacking in brains, he does have plenty of brawn.
- Evil Counterpart: He temporarily became one to Rudy in "Reggie the Red" after he found a piece of red chalk and used it to terrorize everyone in ChalkZone.
- Fat Idiot: He is a bit overweight.
- Jerkass: He has very few scruples.
- Kids Are Cruel: He is a bully.
- Large Ham: He often raises his voice.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Several episodes reveal that he thinks he's better than he actually is.
- Those Two Guys: With his dad, Bruno.
Mr. Horace T. Wilter
Voiced by: Robert Cait
- Berserk Button: Don't draw something in front of Mr. Wilter unless you want him to go on a tirade about how much he hates fictional....CARTOONS!!
- Butt Monkey: He never catches a break.
- The Eeyore: He is rarely in a positive mood.
- Evil Teacher: He does not like it when his students draw cartoons.
- Freudian Excuse: In one episode, Rudy discovers a duo of chalk characters who were drawn several years ago. We discover their creator it none other Mr. Wilter. He is actually quite happy to see them and we soon discover that his disdain for cartoons comes from his dad treating him the same way Mr. Wilter treats his students now whenever he drew cartoons.
- Gonk: He is balding and he has a long pointy nose.
- Jerkass: He'll be unrelenting to whoever dares draw a cartoon.
- Sadist Teacher: He'd have to be if he is willing to stunt creativity on the grounds that he hates cartoons.
Voiced by: Miriam Flynn
- Good Parents: She loves her son and tries to make it so that he makes the right decisions and is happy.
- Happily Married: She is always happy to be with her husband Joe.
Voiced by: Rodger Bumpass
- The Big Guy: He is huge and very strong.
- Cyclops: He used to be this before Rudy gave him another eye.
- Gentle Giant: He towers above Rudy and friends, but he's always happy to see them.
- The Mentor: He informs Rudy about his responsibility with the magic chalk.
- Only Sane Man: The most level-headed denizen of ChalkZone.
Voiced by: Iona Morris
- Fat Bastard: She is overweight and at times can be very pushy.
Officer O' Larry
Voiced by: Steve Kehela
- Fat Idiot: He is easily diverted from discovering ChalkZone.
- Gonk: He has a pointed nose.
Voiced by: Rosslynn Taylor