open/close all folders
Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi
- Audience Surrogate: Per Word of Capcom in interviews with the producers.
- Battle Aura: His D-Dash summons a fiery red one that knocks back enemies.
- Berserk Button: Threatening Nina really sets him off.
- Deadly Upgrade: While drawing on Odjn's power lets Ryu kill enemies quickly, if his counter maxes out, he will get a Non Standard Game Over.
- Hellish Pupils: When drawing on Odjn's power his irises turn red and his pupils become vertical slits.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: The only weapon able to be equipped to him are longswords and katanas.
- Heroic R.R.O.D.: Maxing out the D-Counter at any point except at the end results in a Non Standard Game Over.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Ryu dies killing Chetyre, but gets better thanks to Odjn.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Gets one courtesy of Bosch early in the game. It triggers his One-Winged Angel.
- Kamehame Hadoken: When using D-Breath, he fires a beam of red energy from his palms.
- One-Winged Angel: A rare heroic example. After Bosch stabs him in the neck, Ryu transforms into his dragon form for the first time. He can transform at will in any subsequent battle, but doing so will quickly max out the D-Counter if the player isn't careful.
- Power Limiter: The counter serves as a counter for how long he has to live before Odjn's power overwhelms him. Using his dragon abilities causes it to go up quite rapidly.
- Almighty Janitor: His D-Ratio is 1/8192 but he ends up beating people with D-Ratios over 1/64.
- Ranger: Is a low-ranking member of the Sheldar Rangers.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Specifically, warning of imminent burnination.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When transforming his eyes turn solid red.
- Tron Lines: When transforming, his body turns black and becomes covered in glowing red lines.
- You Are Number 6: The D-Ratios are legally part of names in Sheldar.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Technically, even this Ryu has blue hair. It's very dark (almost blue-black), however.
Voiced by: Kyoko Hikami
- Barefoot Poverty: Nina (viewed as an object by the corporation) is dressed only in a tattered white smock, and barefoot. (Her default armor is "slaveclothes.")
- Body Horror: Genetically modified to be an air purifier.
- Cute Mute: But in a particularly disturbing fashion.
- Heroic Mime: She used to be able to speak until the surgeries performed on her. The only thing she is able to say is her name, and even that is implied to be challenging.
- Living MacGuffin: Was created to be a prototype living air filter, and the people who experimented on her want her back, as does Trinity.
- Mystical Waif: She's a young girl in a white dress with very potent magical abilities. To say nothing of the air filters that are her wings.
- People Jars: Nina is actually a prototype — at one point, Lin discovers a room full of headless Nina clones in jars.
- Being headless wasn't the only thing biologically wrong about those, either.
- Slave Brand: The symbol on her head is one of these: Nina is marked as a low-D. This is part of the reason why she was viewed as an object.
- Winged Humanoid: A bit of a subversion to the usual Breath of Fire Nina Trope. Her "wings" are in fact genetically engineered air filters — basically modified gills or book-lungs.
Voiced by: Kumiko Watanabe
- The Cameo: Appears as a card in the Heroes and Heralds mode of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- Cat Girl: Quite possibly the only one in the entire franchise who is not a tiger-girl, in fact.
- The Gunslinger: She fights using a pistol.
- Lady of War: Lin is stoic and calm in the face of adversity, balancing out Ryu's hotheaded determination, but is no less a warrior.
- La Résistance: Is a member of Trinity.
- Team Dad: Lin keeps Ryu's temper in check and cautions him against making rash decisions.
- You Are Number 6: Subverted. She was stripped of her D-Ratio when becoming a fugitive.
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka
- Bilingual Bonus / You Are Number 6: His name is Russian for "one".
- Body Horror: What his contracts tend to inflict on the Chosen. Odjn himself happens to be a rotting corpse crucified against a wall.
- Et Tu, Brute?: He was pinned to that wall due to Elyon's rejecting their link, and he is pissed.
- Gentle Giant: Particularly compared to Chetyre and Dva, who are both complete basket cases. He calls Ryu his "little friend" and breaks their link after the sky is finally opened.
- Grand Theft Me: A game over by maxing Ryu's D-Counter will show Odjn bursting out of his body.
- Leitmotif: Associated with the song "Origin", which features an Ethereal Choir and often accompanied by a Heart Beat Soundtrack.
- Non-Human Undead: Of the Dracolich variety.
- Pet the Dog: He resurrects Ryu at the end of the game as a show of respect for Ryu's determination.
- Red Baron: "The Thousand-Year Destroyer".
- Body Horror: He grafts a D-Construct to his left arm in order to amplify his power.
- Break the Haughty: He becomes increasingly psychotic after Dragon!Ryu tears him a new one and kills their boss.
- Evil Counterpart: He is this to Ryu, coming from a rich family with a high D-Ratio whereas Ryu has a rock-bottom D-Ratio. However, both are swordsmen and even wind up bonded to rival dragons.
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: Half Bosch's face when he has the Terminator-esque grafting of Chetyre's arm, and completely when he eventually reaches a Half-Human Hybrid state proper.
- Guest-Star Party Member: He's only in the party at the start of the game.
- Grand Theft Me: Is the victim of one at the end of the game, as Chetyre bursts out of his body. Mechanically, it's as if Bosch's D-Counter went to 100%.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Gives one to Ryu early in the game, and gets one himself from Chetyre at the end of the game.
- Laughing Mad: He goes completely insane by the game's conclusion.
- Mercy Kill: Silently pleads for Ryu to give him this after being defeated for the final time, presumably because he can feel Chetyre beginning to take over his body. Ryu grants his wish, but Chetyre ends up bursting out of his corpse anyway.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: After he bonds with Chetyre, ditching his shirt helped us see that half his body is fused with the beast.
- One-Winged Angel: Bonding to Chetyre gives him the same powers Ryu has.
- Ranger: Was a member of the Sheldar Rangers.
- The Rival: Plays this role initially, though he makes a We Can Rule Together offer at the beginning of the game. This transitions into...
- Rival Turned Evil following Ryu siding with Trinity.
- Royal Rapier: His weapon of choice.
- Sanity Slippage: Bosch's sanity takes a hit when Ryu transforms into a monster and kicks his ass after getting stabbed in the throat, and just gets worse as the game goes on.
- Trauma Conga Line: During his We Can Rule Together speech, Bosch outlines his plans for the future to Ryu. Then Lin blows up the train they're on, he's told to destroy the cargo they were transporting at all costs, gets his butt kicked by Ryu's dragon form, and watches his boss get killed in front of his eyes. Even after he replaces almost half his body with a D-Construct, he still can't keep up with Ryu.
- Tron Lines: The D-Construct is covered in blue lines.
- We Can Rule Together: Makes the offer to Ryu early in the game, but seeing how he stabbed Ryu in the throat when they next met, the offer was retracted.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He wants his father to acknowledge him.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Elyon became head of what would become the Regents by kicking Deamoned's ass when he was still a Chosen of Odjn.
- The Chessmaster: Almost everything in Sheldar ultimately boils down to The Plan of some sort by Elyon. The entire establishment of the D-Ratio system and the Regents, the plan to have Ryu become a Chosen of Odjn, and the backup plan of the People Jars full of headless Nina clones...
- Deadly Upgrade: Linking with a D-Construct is pretty much inevitably fatal. Even the ultimately rejected link with Odjn is slowly killing Elyon. The scene revealing this even has half of Elyon's face show Glowing Eyelights of Undeath.
- Expy: According to an interview, he is a different take on Fou-Lu from the previous installment, specifically, a Fou-Lu expy who was not a God-Emperor.
- Leitmotif: Calling from a Distance, an oppressive song which features an Ethereal Choir and an Ominous Pipe Organ.
- Me's a Crowd: He summons two clones of himself in his Boss Battle.
- My Greatest Failure: Elyon is ultimately rejected by Odjn when he refuses to open the sky — fearing it was not his decision and fearing he would be placing all of Sheldar at risk.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A permanent stigmata from when he was a Chosen.
- Really 700 Years Old: Well, closer to a thousand.
Voiced by: Kumiko Watanabe
- Dude Looks Likea Lady: The outfit doesn't really help matters either.
- Petting Zoo People: The long floppy ears makes Cupid look part rabbit.
- Really 700 Years Old: Cupid is just about as old as Elyon.
- She's a Man in Japan: Gender-bended for the US release because of his implied relationship with Elyon.
- Knight Templar: He trains Bosch literally from toddlerhood in gladiatorial combat — because he feels it's a necessity to protect Sheldar from rogue Genics, including and especially the D-Constructs. It's also very strongly implied that he killed everyone who bonded with a D-Construct from the time Elyon bonded (and was rejected) by Odjn up to when Ryu became a Chosen.
- Last Disc Skill: One of Ryu's best Level 3 skills, Terabreak, is stolen from him.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He is Bosch's father. This is only shown in cutscenes, however.
- Really 700 Years Old: Along with practically all of the other Regents, he is ancient.
- Action Girl: Eventually transitioning to Dark Action Girl in practice after Ryu's [Heel–Face Turn.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: This is her claim to Ryu, that Odjn is controlling him. She asks him to come with her so that she can help. Ryu refuses.
- Dual Wielding: She wields two violet blades. Ryu can take one when he beats her.
- Last Ditch Move: She'll use "Last Resort" if her HP goes down far enough, maxing out her attack and setting her defense to zero.
- Ranger: Her job description.
- Eyes Always Shut: She opens them very occasionally. This seems to invoke a Blind Seer archetype given her precognitive abilities but it's not made clear whether she's actually blind or not.
- Lady of Black Magic: Elegant, regal, composed, and sporting a revealing dress that shows her underwear.
- Petting Zoo People: She has fox ears. Concept art shows she was going to have a tail too, like Lin, but her final design doesn't have one.
- Psychic Powers: Is skilled with magic, being able to repel Ryu and co. with the power of her mind during battle, and can see the future.
- Handsome Lech: Often at Hortensia's expense. And, during one minor scene, Lin's.
- Intangibility: Is the main gimmick of his boss fight, along with Visible Invisibility.
- So Proud of You: Secretly, he's happy that a Low-D bonded to a dragon. Jezuit is implied to have a much lower D-ratio than the other reagents.
- Wolverine Claws: Fights with these.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: An interesting subversion in Deamoned's case. It's implied he was the original leader of the Regents... Until an Odjn-possessed Elyon kicked his ass and took his eye.
- Eyepatch of Power: He lost his eye hundreds of years ago.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's almost 1000.
- Scars Are Forever: He lost his left eye to an Odjn-ridden Elyon. He was so impressed by this that he stuck around.
- La Résistance: Is the leader of the official resistance to the government.
- Really 700 Years Old: And now we really want to know what sort of life-extension technology the Regents have...
- The Dragon: It's revealed he is this to Elyon, of all people. It's strongly implied that Trinity is in fact a faux La Résistance designed to allow Sheldar's inhabitants to rebel without threatening the Regents and Elyon's plan.
- Big Bad: Of the Hijacked by Ganon variety.
- Bilingual Bonus / You Are Number 6: Her name is Russian for four.
- Body Horror: Until her regeneration, all we see of her is an arm in a test tube.
- Driven to Villainy: Or something. Whatever happened to her, she is not happy about it.
- Grand Theft Me: She takes over Bosch's body.
- Hijacked by Ganon: Takes over Bosch and uses him to restore her body.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Gives one to Bosch before fully bonding to him.Chetyre: CAN IT HATE?
- Organ Autonomy: Her arm twitches and flexes randomly after being grafted to Bosch, and seemingly tears his throat out when he loses against Ryu.
- Red Baron: She is known as the "Old Deep".
- Zero-Effort Boss: She is defeated by Ryu maxing out his counter using D-Breath on her.