This page includes the schools and the associated characters that appeared in manga and anime.
open/close all folders
Nishiura High School is located in Saitama Prefecture where The Protagonist
studies. Initially, this school only had softball team. Thus, at the start of the series, the baseball team consists of all freshmen players.
Mihashi RenThe Protagonist
. He was bullied at his former middle school due to his old teammates believing that he was made the ace through favoritism, because his family owns the school. He is actually a very talented pitcher, with a large variety of pitches and excellent control, but his pitches are slow and his talents aren't easily recognized without the cooperation of the team.
The bullying he received left him an extremely shy
, nervous, stuttering emotional wreck. (He gets better
Abe is an analytical control freak with a short temper and a penchant for yelling. When he was in middle school he got partnered up with Haruna Motoki, a pitcher with great speed but no control, and who wouldn't listen to his directions. This has left him with some issues.
Abe is one of the members of the team who has had the most experience. He is good at batting as well.
First Baseman, Reserve Pitcher, Right Fielder (vs Sakitama) Voiced by: Yuudai Satou
(JP), Chris Cason
Oki is only the left-handed player on the team. He is also one of the reserve pitchers, since he is one of the only players on the team with experience, although he was reluctant to admit it and does not wish to pitch in official games. He is shy, and classmates with Nishihiro.
Sakaeguchi is a really nice guy
. He's one of the other more experienced players on the team. He and Abe attended the same middle school, but they didn't meet until the day of the entrance exams.
He is very good at bunting, and is described in canon as being closest to Suyama.
Third Baseman, Reserve Catcher, First Baseman (vs Sakitama) , Catcher (vs Bijoudai-Sayama After Abe's injury) Voiced by: Hiro Shimono
(JP), Todd Haberkorn
Tajima is the
best player on the team. He can hit with incredible accuracy, and, as he says before the very first game, he's never seen a pitch he couldn't hit by the end of a game.
He's also a hyperactive Bunny-Ears Lawyer
who (tries to) strip in public and says inappropriate things occasionally.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: More than once a day is his normal regimen.
- The Ace: not in the same way as Mihashi, though.
- Badass Boast: Claims to have never seen a pitch he couldn't hit in that game.
- Book Dumb
- Big Brother Instinct
- Big Eater
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Tajima is the most accurate hitter on the team and a baseball prodigy
- Challenge Seeker
- Cloudcuckoolander: He doesn't seem to have a brain-to-mouth filter and occasionally strips in public; Hanai has to yell at him to make sure he doesn't get naked during practice where he can be seen from the street and Momokan has to stop him from getting naked in the stands at a game.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: if it came from anyone else.
- The Ditz
- Establishing Character Moment: His TMI line at the beginning of episode 2.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Whenever Tajima does something amazing, a Nishiura team member will inevitably turn red and think, “He’s so cool!”
- Goofy Print Underwear: Orange boxers with blue dots in season 2.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Ho Yay: With Hanai.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager
- Hot for Teacher: Has said he would date Momokan if they were the same age.
- The Idealist: though nobody's sure if it's from stupidity or optimism.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That
- Let's Get Dangerous: Despite being hyperactive off the field, Tajima is extraordinarily focused during games.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: He's the last of 5 kids.
- Mundane Utility: Only uses his remarkable memory to remember baseball scores.
- The Napoleon: He's the shortest member of the team, standing at 164cm or just under 5'4.
- Odd Friendship: With Mihashi.
- One Head Shorter: Is more than a full head shorter than Hanai.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: He has the highest on-base percentage of the team which helped him be the clean-up batter aside from his natural genius of baseball, Abe has also stated that he has a strong throwing arm, but due to his size, he is physically incapable of hitting homeruns.
- The Rival: to Hanai. He doesn't realize/notice, though he does envy Hanai's height.
- Spiky Hair: Has this in season one, gets a haircut before season 2.
- Tempting Fate: His claim that he has never seen a pitch he couldn't hit by the end of the game may appear to be this, but it is averted. As of 2012 his hit streak is still intact.
- Too Much Information
- Translator Buddy: sometimes for Mihashi and Abe.
- Weak, but Skilled: He's the smallest member of the team, so he can't score alone.
- You Keep Using That Word: and he uses it strictly.
- Youthful Freckles
- The Generic Guy: Probably the least remarkable of the team members
- Holding Hands: What he'd like to do if he ever gets a girlfriend.
- Real Men Cook: He loves to cook ever since he was in middle school. Recently, he is interested in baking and Japanese-like cuisine.
Left Fielder , Third Baseman (vs Bijoudai-Sayama After Abe's injury) Voiced by:
Sumi Ken'ichirou (JP), Jean Luc Hester
- All Love Is Unrequited: He has a crush on Chiyo.
- Butt Monkey: Apart from the fanon Kusoleft (crappy left field) thing he has going on for fumbling an easy catch, he's also been mentioned to be pretty shaky at batting and worried that Nishihiro is catching up to him. Oki straight up says that the two of them are the worst at batting on the team discounting Mihashi.
Center Fielder, Third Baseman(vs Sakitama) Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
(JP), Chris Burnett (EN)
Third base coach, Reserve Left Fielder , Left Fielder (vs Bijoudai-Sayama After Abe's injury) Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura
(JP), Scott Hinze (EN)
Momoe Maria, AKA Momokan
Momokan is Nishiura's coach. She's also a graduate of Nishiura, and was the manager of the baseball club while she was a student. She works side jobs to help raise money, and also plans on spending her savings on new equipment for the team. It is later revealed that she is a trained nurse.
Tsuyoshi Shiga AKA Shiga-po
Shiga is a math teacher at Nishiura. He teaches the team meditation techniques.
Hamada Yoshirou, AKA. Hama-chan
Mihoshi Academy is located in Gunma Prefecture. Mihashi studied here in middle school and played as the baseball team's starting pitcher. Due to his grandfather as the owner of the academy, his teammates thought that he got his position due to favoritism.
Pitcher Voiced by:
Jun Oosuka (JP), Jamie Mc Gonnigal
Kanou is Mihashi's childhood friend. They attended Mihoshi together. Kanou was the backup pitcher on the team, and Mihashi was the reason he couldn't pitch.
Hatake was Mihashi's catcher during middle school years and Kanou's catcher in high school. In spite of being part of the battery with Mihashi, he never acknowledged Mihashi's skill as a pitcher.
Tousei High School is a Christian school located in Saitama Prefecture and the previous year's champions of the Saitama Summer Tournament. The first opponent of Nishiura in this year's summer tournament.
Catcher Voiced by: Eiji Hanawa
(JP), Jeff Johnson (EN)
The captain of Tousei's baseball team.
Pitcher Voiced by: Noriaki Sugiyama
(JP), Drew Wall (EN)
Pitcher and part of battery with Kawai.
Backup catcher and the one who gives signs to the players at the bench. Younger brother of Bijoudai-Sayama's assistant coach, Roka.
Musashino Dai Ichi
Musashino Dai Ichi, relatively known as Musashino, is located in Saitama Prefecture. This is where Haruna, Abe's former battery partner, plays as a pitcher. The school is more known for its soccer team but the baseball team starts to be known with the addition of Haruna in the team.
Pitcher Voiced by: Kiyotaka Furushima
(JP), Daniel Katsük (EN)
Third Baseman Voiced by:
Kenji Takahashi (JP), Jerry Jewell
The captain of Musashino's baseball team.
Sakitama is located in Saitama Prefecture. The team consists of mostly second year and with Daichi as the only first year and considered talented in baseball. They faced Nishiura in the third round of summer tournament.
- Foil: to the Nishiura team and battery: Nishiura is a motivated team and Abe is a great pitch-caller, and Mihashi is passionate about pitching. On the other hand, the Sakitama team is so relaxed you never even see their coach. Daichi is not very good at being a catcher, and Ichihara is not that attached to being pitcher.
Right Fielder (former), Pitcher(current) Voiced by: Hisafumi Oda
Sakitama's pitcher. Unlike Mihashi, Ichihara is the pitch-caller in his battery with Daichi.
Uniform Number: #2
Voiced by: Fukuhara Kouhei (JP)
Daichi is Sakitama's catcher. He has a good throwing arm, but he's not a very good pitch-caller and Ichihara shakes off his signs often. Even though he is a first year, fe has a large physique compared to his other teammates but despite his size he actually cries really easily and worries a lot.
Bijoudai-Sayama, usually referred as Bijou, is a boys' school located in Saitama Prefecture. The baseball team does not have a relatively skilled pitchers, thus they use a lot of pitchers in a certain game.
Uniform Number: #2
Voiced by: Higuchi Tomoyuki (JP)
Mihashi's cousin. He lived with her family while he was going to Mihoshi. He told her not to come to his middle school baseball games.