Characters: Big Time Rush
open/close all folders
Common to the four:
- Deadpan Snarker: They all have plenty of snarky moments, but Carlos' are less frequent.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Kendall: Phlegmatic
- Logan: Melancholic
- Carlos: Sanguine
- James: Choleric
- Lovable Jock: They were on the hockey team back in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Nice: The four of them, despite their quirks and fails, are genuinely Nice Guys, which sometimes clashes with the LA lifestyle.
- Mr. Fanservice: James being the most notable.
- Pretty Boy: Many girls in-universe have said aloud they are cute.
Played by Kendall Schmidt
De-facto leader of the boys. He is the only one who doesn't want to let being a celebrity get to his head. He is dating Jo.
- Alliterative Name
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Standard tradition is that every band has to have a bad boy. Kendall more or less got the job by default, mainly due to his relative sanity.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kendall can be your best friend or your worst nightmare.
- Cool Big Bro: To Katie.
- Determinator: In Big Time Movie, he gets punched in the ribs by one of Atticus Moon's henchmen, and gets up as if it were nothing. Keep in mind, that particular henchmen a mallet made of silver for a hand.
- Disappeared Dad: Since Kendall and Katie set dates for their mom, it's assumed their father is either divorced or gone. Nobody talks about him.
- The Leader: He is pretty much the leader of Big Time Rush.
Hortense Logan Mitchell
Played by Logan Henderson
The smart one who has plans to become a doctor. Currently dating Camille.
- Adorkable: Occasional lab coat, check. Brain of the group, check. Almost always wears suit/necktie/t-shirt, check. Cute? DOUBLE CHECK.
- Attractive Bent-Gender/Wholesome Crossdresser: He got into a lecture held in an Only-Women college, and only got discovered because he blew his cover in front of a room full of Straw Feminists.
- Butt Monkey: When the guys are worried that Wayne Wayne will have someone kicked out of the band, James remarks that he thinks it'll be Logan... Whilst crouching right next to him. Later, Gustavo and Griffin remark that they thought Logan would be the one kicked out of the band, Griffin going so far as to use the intercom so that Logan would hear him.
- Logan was also sat on by Gustavo and ran over by a horde of fangirls. Boy can't catch a break.
- In "Big Time Break", Logan goes through a lot of trouble just to get a lecture from his favorite math celebrity teacher just to find out she's a crazy feminist and, latter, getting beaten up by a bunch of girls.
- In "Welcome Back Big Time", Logan does several weeks of school work in a day - not just his own, but the rest of the group's too. All James and Kendall do is something very minute so they could claim the work was their own, but Carlos just signs his name.
- Somehow their teacher doesn't put 2 and 2 together when Carlos' project includes a working laser.
- In "Big Time Moms," it is revealed that Logan's real name is Hortense, but James' mother makes him change it.
- In Big Time Movie Logan gets shot by tranquilizing dart guns... three times.
- In "Big Time Pranks", the guys hold a prank contest among all of the Palm Woods tenants and Logan is the first one to be disqualified. Funny thing is, nobody even pranks him, he actually pranks himself.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He can be this for Camille. In "Big Time Secrets", he started stalking Kendall and Camille because he thought they were secretly dating. He literally became Ax-Crazy and started chasing them with an ax-shaped guitar.
- The Ditherer: Lampshaded in "Big Time Songwriters."
Carlos: Okay, then you pick the song. Which one is better, Logan? The "O Song," or the "Yeah Song"?
Logan: You guys, I'd really rather not get into the middle of this, so um...
Carlos: Big surprise. Logan doesn't want to make a decision!
- Embarrassing First Name: Logan's first name is Hortense. Thank goodness for James' mom.
Kendall: Me, Carlos and Hortense are here to see James.
Mrs. Diamond: I don't like the name Hortense. Call him Logan from now on.
Played by Carlos Pena Jr.
One of the most eccentric members of the group. Constantly wears a helmet.
Played by James Maslow
The best looking guy in the group, and he takes pride in it. Comes off as arrogant. Not dating anyone, but it's kind of his life style. By the series finale he and Lucy seem to have become a couple
Around The Palmwoods
Played by Ciara Bravo
Kendall's younger sister. She is dangerously clever and definitely wise beyond her years
. Always thinking of money making schemes. Regardless, there are times when she acts like a normal ten year old girl, but is 100% confident in her plans.
- Beware The Cute Ones: Do not mess with this girl. When she gets in the mood or has been crossed, she could make Meagan Parker look like an angel by comparison.
- Disappeared Dad: Since Kendall and Katie set dates for their mom, it's assumed their father is either divorced or gone. Nobody talks about him
- Foil: To both Kendall and her mom. She is the only one in the family who adapts quickly to the competitive and business-focused Hollywood, while they keep their Minnesota lifestyle views. Still, they are very close as a family and can work their way out of any situation.
- Guile Heroine: She is equally as ambitious and manipulative, but her heart is in good place.
- Improbable Age: One episode has her put in charge of the label, which she is exceptional at.
- Leitmotif: A mockingly sweet melody. Also used with some other characters, however.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: She's highly aware of this and knows how to use them.
Played by Katelyn Tarver
A fairly successful young actress and Kendall's girlfriend. In season two she had to leave to film a movie for three years, but she returns in season 3
- Cute Bruiser: Trained in Judo, flips Kendall over her shoulder several times without appearing strained.
- First Girl Wins: An entire episode is dedicated to Kendall choosing between her and Lucy. He chooses Jo.
- Girl Next Door: Introduced as/fantasized as such, but subverted by her career-oriented ambition and subsequent success making her less "accessible."
- Official Couple: With Kendall.
- Only Sane Girl: One of them.
- Put on a Bus: Breaks up with Kendall to pursue an acting gig in New Zealand.
Played by Erin Sanders
actor, one of the most eccentric characters on the show and Logan's on-again/off-again girlfriend. She constantly acts out her roles as practice and has a tendency to slip too deep into character
- Beta Couple: With Logan.
- Genre Savvy: She is the one who keeps the boys informed of what's common thing in Palm Woods and the industry in general.
- Large Ham: In-Universe.
- Method Acting: In-Universe, which is also her main forte, but it's also why she keeps flunking her auditions (In one occasion she brought explosives for her witch character).
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The Energetic Girl to Loganís Savvy Guy.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Literally how her relationship with Logan works. She always slaps him (for auditions, but still) and in the drop of the hat they flip to Make-Out Kids.
Played by Denyse Tontz as Jennifer 1, Spencer Locke/Kelli Goss as Jennifer 2, Savannah Jayde as Jennifer 3
Three beautiful but high-maintenance girls of the same name. Notorious around the Palm Woods for their slow-motion entrances and rejecting any guy without a movie deal or a top ten single.
- Alpha Bitch: The three of them have ruled Palm Woods by being mean to the newbies to "mark territory".
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Played with. Jennifer 1 is Brunette, Jennifer 2 is Blonde, Jennifer 3 is African-American with black or auburn-ish hair, depending on how she has it done.
- Girl Posse: So much that they can't keep balance if the group is incomplete. When Jennifer 2 was absent, they completed the trio by replacing her with Carlos.
- The Fashionista: The three of them. Averted when Jennifer 1 is separated from the others, Carlos is told that the three of them help each other, reason why she was acting strange during their prom date.
- Hidden Depths: Even thought they are snobby and divas, they do have soft spots for Carlos, with blonde and brunette/Latina Jennifer dating him at some point or another.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: They can be completely mean and controlling, but they do have soft spots.
- Mama Bears: They warned Carlos about breaking Brunette Jennifer's heart and the subsiding consequences.
- One Steve Limit: Triple averted with them, and that's also why they are called "The Jennifers"
- Token Trio: Jennifer 1 is implied to be latina, Jennifer 2 is blonde and Jennifer 3 is african-american.
Played by David Cade
Jo's co-star, who is one of the most popular actors on the In-Universe
show New Town High
. He has a crush on Jo and a bitter rivalry with Kendall.
Lucille "Lucy" Stone
Played by Malese Jow
A girl who moves into the Palm Woods after Jo leaves.
There was some romantic tension between her and Kendall, but it faded when Jo comes back.
As of season 4, she's back, and is developing romantic tension with James and seems to be finally dating him in the finale.
- Asian and Nerdy: Her parents think that she is this as a classically trained concert violinist. In reality, she averts this trope.
- Be Careful With That Ax: She has a guitar with an ax blade on it. Logan steals it when he thinks Kendall and Camille are dating.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: Lucy has dyed red streaked hair and dresses like a stereotypical rocker chick, but is really quite friendly.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With James in season 4. At 5'3 Malese is the shortest of the adult female cast and at 6'1 James is the tallest of the male.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She left Palm Woods to allow Jo and Kendall to rekindle their relationship and didn't make drama for it.
- She did write a song about Kendall dumping her for Jo in "Big Time Swifted" and eventually moved back into the Palm Woods.
- Only Sane Man: In "Big Time Lies" she says that guys are all weird.
- The Rockstar: In a subversion, she's fairly level-headed.
- Ship Tease: After she returns, with James.
- Romantic False Lead: She was starting a relationship with Kendall, until Jo came back unexpectedly.
Played by Challen Cates
Kendall's mother, who moves too the Palm Woods with the boys. She is probably the most sensible character on the show and acts as Team Mom
- Almighty Mom: Even Katie knows there're things her mom does better than her.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to Brooke Diamond's blonde and Sylvia and Joanna's brunettes.
- Foil: To Katie. While she is a lovable mom who sometimes goes into My Beloved Smother, Katie is very independent and ambicious, which clashes with her way to do things in life.
- Last Name Basis: Aside from Kendall and Katie (they call her "Mom"), everyone else always refers to her as "Mrs. Knight" or "Mama Knight". Whether this is avoid confusion with The Jennifers is anyone's guess. Her first name was used once by James' mom.
- Mama Bear: She beat up another mom because she insulted Katie.
- Minnesota Nice: Tries to adapt to LA while still being nice, but doesn't always work.
- Parental Substitute: To James, Logan, and Carlos.
Played by David Anthony Higgins
Manager of the Palm Woods, has it out for the boys. Mainly he has a rivalry with Katie.
Janitor at the Palm Woods. While appearing to be crazy, he is actually very sensible and likable.
Teacher at the Palm Woods School.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She doesn't care about producers, as Gustavo well knows.
- Cool Teacher: She is a very nice and charming teacher only if you behave in class.
- Stern Teacher: While she knows her students are also busy celebrities, she will put their education above everything, even over their carreers.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She understands when Logan prefers to delay their project so he could tutor properly his partner and concedes them the extend.
Played by Barnett O'Hara
A friend of the boys. AS his nickname says, he is seldom seen without his guitar.
Played by Tucker Albrizzi
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: In season 3
- Stage Mom: His mother tries to get him any kind of castings and he hides from her all the time.
- Foil: To Katie. He tries to avoid celebrity job, while Katie loves the Hollywood business.
Rocque Records and associates
Played by Stephen Kramer Glickman
The boys manager. A disgraced music manager from the 90's who is trying to get back on top. He refers to the boys as "dogs" and nearly every episode has him writing a song.
Played by Tanya Chisholm
Played by Matt Riedy
CEO of the RCM CBT Globalnet Sanyoid Corporation, which also owns Rocque Records.
Played by Stephen Keys
Gustavos's henchman in charge of "making people do what I say", mainly carrying the guys back to the studio when Gustavo requires.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Outside from his intimidating appearance, admits he would be touched by the new song if he were a girl.
Played by Carlie Casey
Arthur Griffin's daughter.
Producer of Hawk records and the Big Bad
of season one. His motives are to bring down Gustavo and the boys carrer. In the season finale, he tries to get James an independent contract but when the boys get back togehter, he kidnaps them and ends up arrested.
Played by Lorenzo Lamas
The usual doctor for celebrities, who is also as ego-centrical and vain like James.
Played by Sammy Jay Wren
A girl from Minnesota who was also in the boys' school and attended Gustavo's audition. Her dream is to be "the next Gwen Stefani
". She is also known to be accident prone in a whole other level.
- The Bus Came Back/Ascended Extra: She started as a minor character who was rejected in the auditions of the pilot. She returns a season later in "Big Time Fans", as Carlos promised to help her in her singing career.
- Born Unlucky: The boys know Jenny had this since kindergarten. James needed stitches in his arm for a papercut.
- British Rock Star: She becomes the new lead singer of Death Smash because of her destructive talent and potential as the new Face of the Band.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Everywhere she goes, something is going to break or someone is going to the hospital.
- Dojikko: Even after setting the building on fire four times, the guys find it impossible to reject her and stomp on her dream.
- Large Ham: Especially when she sings.
- Minnesota Nice: She is as cute and nice as she is lethal.
- The Smurfette Principle: When she joins Death Smash. The other two members are big badass rockers (who secretly hated their original leader for making them smash guitars and fake their accents).
Played by Erik Estrada and Jill-Michele Melean
Carlos' parents. Both of them visited Carlos at Palm Woods, although in separated episodes. They have a very close relationship. Carlos' dad is a police officer and takes his job very seriously, maybe a little too much.
- Bumbling Dad: He takes his job very seriously, even to apply it on his son's daily tasks.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Although Officer Garcia is always missing a good-cop partner.
- Like Father, Like Son: Both of them are impulsive, reckless and carry their helmets everywhere.
- Papa Wolf: Back when Carlos was little, Officer Garcia lined up an interrogation session to find out who stole Carlos' lollipop, prompting the guilty kid to faint under the pressure.
Played by Brian McGovern and Lisa Rina
- Almighty Mom/Evil Matriarch: To the point where the only time she didn't get what she planned was because the other three moms teamed against her.
- She even got the boys to enroll to ballet instead of hockey and got them to call Logan by that name rather than by his given name, Hortense (this one turned out to be for good).
- The Baroness: She's known as "Estee Lauder of the Midwest" for being a prominent makeup mogul.
- May-December Romance: James tells his father remarried to a 19 year old, and that's why his mother won't talk to him anymore.
- My Beloved Smother: Very much.
- Tsundere: His mother's reason to take James with her again is because she plans for him to take over the business, but in reality she just misses him a lot.
Lucy's ex-boyfriend from Georgia. Shortly before she moved to California, she broke up with him when she discovered hr was cheating on her.
A rouge secret agent, who stole a anti gravity device from Atticus Moon, setting the events of the movie in motion. He is unconscious for most of the movie.
A spy in training, and Simon's daughter. When her father goes rogue, she attempts to clear his name and runs into the boys along the way.
One of the richest men in England, who blames the worlds problems on international disagreements and thus wants to start a revolution.
A movie star who has a secret identity and crush on Carlos who appears in "Big Time Dreams"