Characters: Big Time Rush
open/close all folders
Common to the four:
- Deadpan Snarker: They all have plenty of snarky moments, but Carlos' are less frequent.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Kendall: Phlegmatic
- Logan: Melancholic
- Carlos: Sanguine
- James: Choleric
- Lovable Jock: They were on the hockey team back in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Nice: The four of them, despite their quirks and fails, are genuinely Nice Guys, which sometimes clashes with the LA lifestyle.
- Mr. Fanservice: James being the most notable.
- Pretty Boy: Many girls in-universe have said aloud they are cute.
- Played by Kendall Schmidt
- Alliterative Name
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Standard tradition is that every band has to have a bad boy. Kendall more or less got the job by default, mainly due to his relative sanity.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kendall can be your best friend or your worst nightmare.
- Cool Big Bro: To Katie.
- Determinator: In Big Time Movie, he gets punched in the ribs by one of Atticus Moon's henchmen, and gets up as if it were nothing. Keep in mind, that particular henchmen a mallet made of silver for a hand.
- Disappeared Dad: Since Kendall and Katie set dates for their mom, it's assumed their father is either divorced or gone. Nobody talks about him.
- The Leader: He is pretty much the leader of Big Time Rush.
Hortense Logan Mitchell
- Played by Logan Henderson
- Adorkable: Occasional lab coat, check. Brain of the group, check. Almost always wears suit/necktie/t-shirt, check. Cute? DOUBLE CHECK.
- Attractive Bent-Gender/Wholesome Crossdresser: He got into a lecture held in an Only-Women college, and only got discovered because he blew his cover in front of a room full of Straw Feminists.
- Butt Monkey: When the guys are worried that Wayne Wayne will have someone kicked out of the band, James remarks that he thinks it'll be Logan... Whilst crouching right next to him. Later, Gustavo and Griffin remark that they thought Logan would be the one kicked out of the band, Griffin going so far as to use the intercom so that Logan would hear him.
- Logan was also sat on by Gustavo and ran over by a horde of fangirls. Boy can't catch a break.
- In "Big Time Break", Logan goes through a lot of trouble just to get a lecture from his favorite math celebrity teacher just to find out she's a crazy feminist and, latter, getting beaten up by a bunch of girls.
- In "Welcome Back Big Time", Logan does several weeks of school work in a day - not just his own, but the rest of the group's too. All James and Kendall do is something very minute so they could claim the work was their own, but Carlos just signs his name.
- Somehow their teacher doesn't put 2 and 2 together when Carlos' project includes a working laser.
- In "Big Time Moms," it is revealed that Logan's real name is Hortense, but James' mother makes him change it.
- In Big Time Movie Logan gets shot by tranquilizing dart guns... three times.
- In "Big Time Pranks", the guys hold a prank contest among all of the Palm Woods tenants and Logan is the first one to be disqualified. Funny thing is, nobody even pranks him, he actually pranks himself.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He can be this for Camille. In "Big Time Secrets", he started stalking Kendall and Camille because he thought they were secretly dating. He literally became Ax-Crazy and started chasing them with an ax-shaped guitar.
- The Ditherer: Lampshaded in "Big Time Songwriters."Carlos: Okay, then you pick the song. Which one is better, Logan? The "O Song," or the "Yeah Song"?Logan: You guys, I'd really rather not get into the middle of this, so um...Carlos: Big surprise. Logan doesn't want to make a decision!
- Embarrassing First Name: Logan's first name is Hortense. Thank goodness for James' mom.Kendall: Me, Carlos and Hortense are here to see James.Mrs. Diamond: I don't like the name Hortense. Call him Logan from now on.
- Played by Carlos Pena Jr.
- Agent Mulder: He believes in almost anything. He even bought bottles of Zom-be-gone to protect himself from a zombie apocalypse.
- Companion Cube: His helmet.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: He's the shortest of the guys which is ironic because he's the oldest of the four at 22, but he's also the toughest.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Corndogs.
- Played by James Maslow
- Afraid of Needles: The only way he got over this was because his allergy bloated him in horrifying levels.
- Catch Phrase: "She will be MINE!" whenever there's a pretty girl he's interested in (mostly directed at Lucy).
- The Ditz/Brainless Beauty: Downplayed. He falls pretty easy on scams (for example the fan who ended up kidnapping and locking him in a basement) and isn't very academically smart, as he only cares about his looks.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Lampshaded in "Big Time Christmas." In the animated music video with Snoop Dog, the band is depicted as squirrels, but James is the only one with eyelashes.
- Hidden Depths: In "Big Time Fans", James works out in front of pictures of his heroes: David Hasselhoff, Mahatma Gandhi, and Abraham Lincoln.
- I Just Want to Be Special: He is the most interested in becoming famous in the pilot.
- Narcissist: He tends to think only of himself.
- Papa Wolf: Towards Katie.
Around The Palmwoods
- Played by Ciara Bravo
- Beware The Cute Ones: Do not mess with this girl. When she gets in the mood or has been crossed, she could make Meagan Parker look like an angel by comparison.
- Disappeared Dad: Since Kendall and Katie set dates for their mom, it's assumed their father is either divorced or gone. Nobody talks about him
- Foil: To both Kendall and her mom. She is the only one in the family who adapts quickly to the competitive and business-focused Hollywood, while they keep their Minnesota lifestyle views. Still, they are very close as a family and can work their way out of any situation.
- Guile Heroine: She is equally as ambitious and manipulative, but her heart is in good place.
- Improbable Age: One episode has her put in charge of the label, which she is exceptional at.
- Leitmotif: A mockingly sweet melody. Also used with some other characters, however.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: She's highly aware of this and knows how to use them.
- Played by Katelyn Tarver
- Cute Bruiser: Trained in Judo, flips Kendall over her shoulder several times without appearing strained.
- First Girl Wins: An entire episode is dedicated to Kendall choosing between her and Lucy. He chooses Jo.
- Girl Next Door: Introduced as/fantasized as such, but subverted by her career-oriented ambition and subsequent success making her less "accessible."
- Official Couple: With Kendall.
- Only Sane Girl: One of them.
- Put on a Bus: Breaks up with Kendall to pursue an acting gig in New Zealand.
- The Bus Came Back: Just in time to find Kendall and Lucy making out in the elevator.
- Played by Erin Sanders
- Beta Couple: With Logan.
- Genre Savvy: She is the one who keeps the boys informed of what's common thing in Palm Woods and the industry in general.
- Large Ham: In-Universe.
- Method Acting: In-Universe, which is also her main forte, but it's also why she keeps flunking her auditions (In one occasion she brought explosives for her witch character).
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The Energetic Girl to Loganís Savvy Guy.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Literally how her relationship with Logan works. She always slaps him (for auditions, but still) and in the drop of the hat they flip to Make-Out Kids.
- Played by Denyse Tontz as Jennifer 1, Spencer Locke/Kelli Goss as Jennifer 2, Savannah Jayde as Jennifer 3
- Alpha Bitch: The three of them have ruled Palm Woods by being mean to the newbies to "mark territory".
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Played with. Jennifer 1 is Brunette, Jennifer 2 is Blonde, Jennifer 3 is African-American with black or auburn-ish hair, depending on how she has it done.
- Girl Posse: So much that they can't keep balance if the group is incomplete. When Jennifer 2 was absent, they completed the trio by replacing her with Carlos.
- The Fashionista: The three of them. Averted when Jennifer 1 is separated from the others, Carlos is told that the three of them help each other, reason why she was acting strange during their prom date.
- Hidden Depths: Even thought they are snobby and divas, they do have soft spots for Carlos, with blonde and brunette/Latina Jennifer dating him at some point or another.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: They can be completely mean and controlling, but they do have soft spots.
- Mama Bears: They warned Carlos about breaking Brunette Jennifer's heart and the subsiding consequences.
- One Steve Limit: Triple averted with them, and that's also why they are called "The Jennifers"
- Token Trio: Jennifer 1 is implied to be latina, Jennifer 2 is blonde and Jennifer 3 is african-american.
- Played by David Cade
- Actor Shipping: Invoked. Jet tries to pull this with Jo so he can get even more publicity for New Town High.
- Attention Whore: Adores publicity, no matter what's the subject.
- Arc Villain: For Kendall and Jo's relationship, but the rivalry was in it's prime enough to make him...
- Big Bad: For season two.
- Jerk Jock: Acts like one.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: In Big Time Sneakers he actually worked with Jo's publicist to try to strong arm Kendall and Jo into breaking up, or else they will ruin Jo's job on New Town High.
- Romantic False Lead: To Jo.
- Sixth Ranger: In Enemy Mine sistuations
Lucille "Lucy" Stone
- Played by Malese Jow
- Asian and Nerdy: Her parents think that she is this as a classically trained concert violinist. In reality, she averts this trope.
- Be Careful With That Ax: She has a guitar with an ax blade on it. Logan steals it when he thinks Kendall and Camille are dating.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: Lucy has dyed red streaked hair and dresses like a stereotypical rocker chick, but is really quite friendly.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With James in season 4. At 5'3 Malese is the shortest of the adult female cast and at 6'1 James is the tallest of the male.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She left Palm Woods to allow Jo and Kendall to rekindle their relationship and didn't make drama for it.
- She did write a song about Kendall dumping her for Jo in "Big Time Swifted" and eventually moved back into the Palm Woods.
- Only Sane Man: In "Big Time Lies" she says that guys are all weird.
- The Rockstar: In a subversion, she's fairly level-headed.
- Ship Tease: After she returns, with James.
- Romantic False Lead: She was starting a relationship with Kendall, until Jo came back unexpectedly.
- Played by Challen Cates
- Almighty Mom: Even Katie knows there're things her mom does better than her.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to Brooke Diamond's blonde and Sylvia and Joanna's brunettes.
- Foil: To Katie. While she is a lovable mom who sometimes goes into My Beloved Smother, Katie is very independent and ambicious, which clashes with her way to do things in life.
- Last Name Basis: Aside from Kendall and Katie (they call her "Mom"), everyone else always refers to her as "Mrs. Knight" or "Mama Knight". Whether this is avoid confusion with The Jennifers is anyone's guess. Her first name was used once by James' mom.
- Mama Bear: She beat up another mom because she insulted Katie.
- Minnesota Nice: Tries to adapt to LA while still being nice, but doesn't always work.
- Parental Substitute: To James, Logan, and Carlos.
- Played by David Anthony Higgins
- Butt Monkey: He is one of the most frequent victims of the boys' shenanigans in Palm Woods.
- The Chew Toy: As recurring Butt Monkey, he is also pronte to receive all the physical suffering (Jenny once stabbed his hand with a pen).
- Evil Laugh: A Running Gag is that everything happens to him in the midle of his Evil Gloating Laugh.
- Fat Bastard: During his Jerkass moments.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Katie.
- Momma's Boy: He adores his mom, reason why he tries to pretend he has a family, just so she won't get dissapointed on him.
- Played by Daran Norris
- Ax-Crazy: Played with. He used an ax to cut a doughnut in half, which causes Mrs. Knight to think he is this.
- Almighty Janitor: Played with. He is very capable and has many hidden depths, but his communication skills are average and he is not very smart.
- Companion Cube: With Plungie.
- Face of a Thug: When moving into Palm Woods, Mrs. Knight thought he was an Ax-Crazy serial killer after seing him in very unlikely situations. It took her a while to realize he was the maintenance guy.Katie: My mom thinks you're an ax maniac.Budda Bob: That explains why she screams everytime she sees me.
- Hidden Depths: In Big Time Wedding Buddha Bob reveals that he's a great cook, mechanic, teller of make-believe stories and can re-tile a bathroom.
- Nice Guy: He is pretty nice and friendly to everyone, even Bitters.
- Played by Creator:/Tara Strong
- Beware the Nice Ones: She doesn't care about producers, as Gustavo well knows.
- Cool Teacher: She is a very nice and charming teacher only if you behave in class.
- Stern Teacher: While she knows her students are also busy celebrities, she will put their education above everything, even over their carreers.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She understands when Logan prefers to delay their project so he could tutor properly his partner and concedes them the extend.
- Played by Barnett O'Hara
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: In Season 3
- The Bus Came Back: Appeared in few episodes in the last two seasons.
- Played by Tucker Albrizzi
Rocque Records and associates
- Played by Stephen Kramer Glickman
- Bad Boss: He is constantly screaming at people. How bad of a boss? With only the mention of his name, Nicole Scherzinger threw a telephone at him for "creative differences".
- The Chew Toy: He gets beaten up, suffers from frequent rage induced high blood-pressure (courtesy of Kendall) and he once even got hit by Snoop Dog's limousine, getting away with few bruises and a lot of bandages
- Hates Everyone Equally: Lampshaded by Katie.Katie: Don't you need to be in love to write a love song? You're not wearing a ring and... Don't you hate every living thing?
- Hot-Blooded: His rage induced moments (mostly caused by Kendall) can cause an earthquake of 5.5
- Made of Iron: He got hit by a Snoop Dog's limousine in the Christmas episode and by a bus twice in "Big Time Scandal" and came out both with minor injuries and a lot of bandages.
- Pet the Dog/Kick the Dog: He literally calls the boys "Dogs" (or "Monkey-dogs"), and alternates between these two.
- He literally calls "Throw the Dog a Bone" when he lets the boys keep their remodeled crib.
- The emergency password to his secret vault is "My Dogs" with the hint being "Something You Love".
- Large Ham: And How!
- Would Hit a Girl: With comedic purposes about his interactions with Kelly.
- Well, in that episode, Kelly was "Gustavo".
- Played by Tanya Chisholm
- Beleaguered Assistant: On Gustavo's worst moments.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She nice but can be very fierce if pushed. Then again it's the entertainment business, so she'd have to be.
- Morality Pet: To Gustavo occasionally.
- Parental Substitute: She acts very maternal towards the boys and will protect them if they're threatened.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Season two and beyond.
- Servile Snarker: She didn't need to be one to be Gustavo's assistant, but it sure helps!
- Straight Man: Mostly outruled when the boys and Gustavo enter crazy mode.
- Played by Matt Riedy
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mercedes once said her father loved Lolo, the chimp, more than her.
- And the chimp was the music inspector.
- Later Griffin demotes Lolo to Nuclear Missiles inspector.
- And the chimp was the music inspector.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Even played with in Big Time Halloween. His supernatural alter ego was basically himself, but with a red suit.
- Doting Parent: He spoiled Mercedes a lot.
- Genre Savvy: His first reaction to Mercedes' admission of facts was to verify with the boys.Griffin: Is all that true? Because she lies. A lot.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: And around and around and around he goes! One episode he can be the happy-cuckoolander boss, and the next episode he would want to close Roque Records unless they make more money for him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: It comes and goes.
- Played by Stephen Keys
- Real Men Wear Pink: Outside from his intimidating appearance, admits he would be touched by the new song if he were a girl.
- Played by Carlie Casey
- Consummate Liar: She lied the boys about being the musical-hit advisor so she could date each of them. When she actually tells her dad the truth, Griffin's first reaction is to verify with the others.Griffin: Is all that true? Because she lies. A lot.
- Expy: Of Missy Meany. Justified as the same actress plays both characters.
- Freudian Excuse: She attributes her mean and spoiled attitude to Parental Neglect, as she even states her dad loves his chimp more than her.
- Genre Savvy: Proves Lolo wrong from rejecting Big Time Rush by pointing out demographic statistics, trending music styles and mass-appeal potential, which prompts Griffin to give her Lolo's position.
- It's All About Me: The reason she did not pick James as her boyfriend was because she would never date a guy prettier than her. James pretty much was happy with that.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After her outburst when Kendall tells her off, she returns to apologise and make mends by telling them how Griffin could pick them for the album release.
- Played by Phil LaMarr
- Animal Motifs: He tries to make the Hawk his signature style, even thought nobody likes the "Caw!!" schtick.
- Arch-Nemesis: To Gustavo.
- Big Bad: Of season one.
- Deal with the Devil: With James, Hawk is the devil of the deal in Big Time Concert.
- From Bad to Worse: In Big Time Superheroes.
- Large Ham: Even bigger than Gustavo.
- Played by Lorenzo Lamas
- Played by Sammy Jay Wren
- The Bus Came Back/Ascended Extra: She started as a minor character who was rejected in the auditions of the pilot. She returns a season later in "Big Time Fans", as Carlos promised to help her in her singing career.
- Born Unlucky: The boys know Jenny had this since kindergarten. James needed stitches in his arm for a papercut.
- British Rock Star: She becomes the new lead singer of Death Smash because of her destructive talent and potential as the new Face of the Band.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Everywhere she goes, something is going to break or someone is going to the hospital.
- Dojikko: Even after setting the building on fire four times, the guys find it impossible to reject her and stomp on her dream.
- Large Ham: Especially when she sings.
- Minnesota Nice: She is as cute and nice as she is lethal.
- The Smurfette Principle: When she joins Death Smash. The other two members are big badass rockers (who secretly hated their original leader for making them smash guitars and fake their accents).
- Played by Erik Estrada and Jill-Michele Melean
- Bumbling Dad: He takes his job very seriously, even to apply it on his son's daily tasks.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Although Officer Garcia is always missing a good-cop partner.
- Like Father, Like Son: Both of them are impulsive, reckless and carry their helmets everywhere.
- Papa Wolf: Back when Carlos was little, Officer Garcia lined up an interrogation session to find out who stole Carlos' lollipop, prompting the guilty kid to faint under the pressure.
- Played by Brian McGovern and Lisa Rina
- Almighty Mom/Evil Matriarch: To the point where the only time she didn't get what she planned was because the other three moms teamed against her.
- She even got the boys to enroll to ballet instead of hockey and got them to call Logan by that name rather than by his given name, Hortense (this one turned out to be for good).
- The Baroness: She's known as "Estee Lauder of the Midwest" for being a prominent makeup mogul.
- May-December Romance: James tells his father remarried to a 19 year old, and that's why his mother won't talk to him anymore.
- My Beloved Smother: Very much.
- Tsundere: His mother's reason to take James with her again is because she plans for him to take over the business, but in reality she just misses him a lot.
BeauLucy's ex-boyfriend from Georgia. Shortly before she moved to California, she broke up with him when she discovered hr was cheating on her.
Simon LaneA rouge secret agent, who stole a anti gravity device from Atticus Moon, setting the events of the movie in motion. He is unconscious for most of the movie.
- Expy: Do I have to say it?
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Went rouge and was hunted like a criminal by the time the movie began.
Penny LaneA spy in training, and Simon's daughter. When her father goes rogue, she attempts to clear his name and runs into the boys along the way.
Atticus MoonOne of the richest men in England, who blames the worlds problems on international disagreements and thus wants to start a revolution.
- Arch-Enemy: To Simon Lane.
- Expy: Of Bond Villains, but lets face it he's no Dr. Evil.
- Karmic Death: Implied. If you give the logical circumstances, if the beetle releases him, he'd fall to his death; if not, he'd likely float out of the earth's atmosphere. Then again, The Movie is a homage of James Bond films and how many Bond villains do you know that live?
- Knight of Cerebus: Doesn't act like one but lets analyze - His evil plan would have resulted in countless deaths and/or injuries of people around the world, his henchmen appeared to have guns, and we don't know what he would've done to Katie after he abducted her. Also lets come to terms with the possibility that he and some of his henchmen where some of the first villains to die on this show.
- Add to it he's the first real threat the show has seen. Hawk may have been a nasty person, but he was just threatening a boy band. Moon? He threatened the entire world.
- Spoiled Brat: Acts like one at times
- Atticus Moon: I always get what I want.
- Villain with Good Publicity: At first.